Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

44s certainly are lookers.

Taken last Saturday at Central? I went on Monday (bad choice due to the rain), and managed to cab 4001 (in front) due to a friend.

Lucky you... The closest thing I have to experiencing the 40 Class is my old Punchbowl Hobbies model...

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget all those engines of magnificence from the narrower gauges:

I particularly like the De Winton such as Chaloner or George Henry, or perhaps the various types of Quarry Hunslet.

Yet who could fail to be enchanted by the Bagnall Works no 210 'Brick'?

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...

In stark contrast to the 'Ugliest Locomotive' thread, I thought I'd kick of a thread to find the best looking locomotive.

My nominees:

LNER A4

LNER P2/1

and something a little closer to home

J&A Brown ROD 2-8-0 (Robinson O4)

My choice would have to be a B1 or V2 (LNER)

Russ

• Like 1

Awww, come on, look at those lines:

post-4569-0-68307200-1349876178.jpg

It's even got con rods to keep the chuff chuff nuts amused watching them go round and round. It would be an asset to any preserved railway, you could pass it off as a steam engine no problem.

Besides it's just got something about it that reminds me of other masterworks of UK railway engineering.

• Like 4

It's even got con rods to keep the chuff chuff nuts amused watching them go round and round. It would be an asset to any preserved railway, you could pass it off as a steam engine no problem.

Besides it's just got something about it that reminds me of other masterworks of UK railway engineering.

Come on Boris, don't you recognise a M.R. 3F when you see one, Ok the brick in the front is spoiling the view a bit.

Jokes apart the Fell was a bit (lot) odd, but it was owned by B.R. as you can see by the B.R. crest on the side. IIRC all the other prototypes didn't have it on them? I may have to eat my words on that one though.

I'm thinking of Deltic, DP2, Lion, Falcon (before B.R. took her on), have I forgotten any?

OzzyO.

PS. good luck with the London job.

As others have said, it will have dark green paint, brass beading on its individual splashers, a copper cap to its chimney and 'Castle' on its nameplates! Am I biased? Yes! I spent the first 18 months of my life within sight and sound of the GWR main line East of Bath. Formative years form deeply engraved subconsious 'memories'. First train journey I remember was from Paddington to Weston-super-Mare at the age of 6 - and a Castle slid silently into a nearby platform as we awaited departure.Mechanical perfection - not a clank, not a wisp of escaping steam anywhere!

Richard

• Like 4

How can you say thats a thing of beauty it looks like someones done a cut and shut and done away with the bit in the middle

UK steam ..............................9F raw power brutal lines.

UK diesel...............................class 47 quality thoughtfull styling with the sound of a big Sulzer.

Euro.......................................FS E656 "caimano", power with that certain continental style.

USA.........................................SD40-2 as stated previously , great sound with a "thuggish" good look.

As with all the other posts , its all personal taste !

cheers paul

It's even got con rods to keep the chuff chuff nuts amused watching them go round and round. You could pass it off as a steam engine no problem.

Especially when it was on fire...

All the best,

Castle

I'm actually considering a conversion project to create an N-Gauge "Fell" for my layout (using the BR Class 37 as the basis), I think it would make a rather fetching novelty, and yes it does go into my list of favourite (if not best looking) locomotives.

GWR all the way of course for "best looking" all round. :D :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to miss or ignore this topic until now. But better late than never so .....

British steam : As-built Bulleid light Pacifics (West Country or Battle of Britain classes) very closely followed by the BR 4MT large tanks.

British diesel : Western class 52 leads Warship class 42 / 43 by a short coupling

British electric : Class 90. Stylish while being functional.

Worldwide is an area I am no-one's expert on. But an honourable mention must go to the Victorian Railways (Australia) B-class diesels, some of which were later rebuilt as A-class and which despite their birth in 1952 are still going strong to this day on passenger and freight duties.

A60 seen working the Frankston - Stony Point train (south of Melbourne) in 2004. The antique signalling was only replaced within the past few years while the 1952-built loco remains in traffic but no longer on this route as sprinters have taken over.

040441.jpg

• Like 2

I think the most stylish British steam engine was the streamlined A4 (Mrs iD was most taken by the Mallard), in terms of UK diesels the Class 50 ticks all the boxes for me and certainly the 125 is iconic.

From overseas I would nominate the Settebello, the BR 601-BDE from DB and the 700 series Shinkansen

But I'm still a green, copper and polished brass GWR boy at heart.

Edited by iL Dottore