ARCADIA MODELS SHAW, OLDHAM

Stevelewis

• 1 year later...

Arcadia - what a brilliant shop.

I had a ride there today by train to Manchester Vic and tram via Oldham to Shaw. Not been on that line since I was an apprentice and attended the gas training school at Hollinwood back in 1970 - things have changed quite a bit !!!

The owners are friendly, shop stock is huge, and easy to find (5 min walk from Shaw & Crompton tram station). I bought a Bachmann late crest Stanier Mogul (birthday present from Mrs). An excellent loco, just tested it and I am impressed by it's hauling power. Their prices are good - the mogul was 5 pence more expensive than Hattons.

I came home by continuing on the tram to Rochdale, quick connection on an express back to Victoria and thence home. All free for me with my over 60's old farts travel pass.!!

Brit15

• Like 2

Oldham and district has been singularly fortunate in having good model shops over the years. Who hasn't heard of Norman Wisendens in Greenfield, then there was The Handymans Shop on the corner of Huddersfield Road and Shaw Road, later Hill Stores and finally oop Watersheddings I think (I has lost touch with owner Frank Roscoe by that time). And yes, another happy occasional customer here of Arcadia Models.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Arcadia - what a brilliant shop.

I had a ride there today by train to Manchester Vic and tram via Oldham to Shaw. Not been on that line since I was an apprentice and attended the gas training school at Hollinwood back in 1970 - things have changed quite a bit !!!

The owners are friendly, shop stock is huge, and easy to find (5 min walk from Shaw & Crompton tram station). I bought a Bachmann late crest Stanier Mogul (birthday present from Mrs). An excellent loco, just tested it and I am impressed by it's hauling power. Their prices are good - the mogul was 5 pence more expensive than Hattons.

I came home by continuing on the tram to Rochdale, quick connection on an express back to Victoria and thence home. All free for me with my over 60's old farts travel pass.!!

Brit15

In total agreement. Did you get offered a drink free of charge. Doesn't matter if your just looking you usually are offered one. Before going up just check the shop is open on the website especially at school hols and is never open on a Tuesday Edited by johnd

Never bought a Loco from Wissendens as he was always top price when the business was on Greenfield. Always good for all sorts of detailing bits. The business was sold when Norman retired and still carries on in mail order format. Yes there is a website it's based now in an old Mill in Stalybridge.

In total agreement. Did you get offered a drink free of charge. Doesn't matter if your just looking you usually are offered one. Before going up just check the shop is open on the website especially at school hols and is never open on a Tuesday

Yes a nice cup of coffee was offered.

I also remember Norman Wissenden. A true gent he was. His prices were top but I mainly bought bits n bobs and the odd book or two as I was working around Oldham a bit in the mid 90's. It was good to look "upstairs" at the very expensive kit / hand built stuff - but look only for me, however I saw some tatty old American O scale stuff up there he let me have for next to nowt. After Norman the new couple were friendly enough, but things didn't seem to work for them - perhaps the box shifters did them in I don't know.

Brit15

Where in the Greater Manchester area are you APOLLO

Wigan - hence the pie avatar !!! (Actually our postal address is Wigan Lancashire !!)

Edited to add - yes the Greater Manchester overs 60's travel card is superb. Every train tram and bus after 09:30am can be used. Being part of the Greater Manchester empire has its advantages !.

Last week I took the Edinburgh - Manchester Airport Trans Pennine express from Wigan to the Airport, on arrival straight onto a tram back to the city - shortest time I have ever spent at Manchester Airport !!. I think the metrolink tram system is fantastic, I will travel the whole system this coming summer. I'll also ride the new guided bus thing from Leigh - that SHOULD have been a tram as far as I am concerned. It may be OK - don't know till I've ridden it. One or two rail routes to do also. It'll be great when all the electrification works are complete. Bit of a mess round Bolton etc at the moment, bits of work here there and everywhere !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Agree its a great shop, always friendly and helpfull. I'll be calling in on Wednesday to collect another loco from Tim.

I have  been  a  customer of  Tims  ( Arcadia)  for  around  16 years  first  to  purchase  LGB  ( always  the  best  price  in  the  UK)   now  purchase  several  scales  from  him  always  at  best  price  around!  I  have  never  actually  been  to  the  shop  its  always  mail order  never  had  a  problem,  except  once  when  a  collecting  driver  missed  placed  the  sticky labels,  so  instead  of an £800  LGB  RhB  Railcar  I received  a   car  bumper  bar!!.

Although I must  be  around  60+ miles  from  Shaw  I  think  of  Arcadia  as  my  local  Model  Shop! 

Just a tip  for  any  Non  Customers*  thinking  of getting  in  touch  with  Arcadia,  its  always  best  to  telephone  for  an  instant  response  01706 882900  closed   Tuesdays

*You may  be  surprised  if  you  are  seeking  something  other  retailers  have  not  got!!

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

Planning a trip by Wigan using the OAP card. Bus to Bury, tram to Manchester, Edinburgh train to Wigan, change station train back to Bolton, bus back home. Cost zilch. Free all day on a weekend or Bank holiday after 9.30 otherwise .

Our address is Bury (Black Pudding & ELR ) Lancashire

It takes as long on the bus via Rochdale as it takes on the Metrolink via manchester to get to Arcadia

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

I have been a customer of Tims ( Arcadia) for around 16 years first to purchase LGB ( always the best price in the UK) now purchase several scales from him always at best price around! I have never actually been to the shop its always mail order never had a problem, except once when a collecting driver missed placed the sticky labels, so instead of an £800 LGB RhB Railcar I received a car bumper bar!!.

Although I must be around 60+ miles from Shaw I think of Arcadia as my local Model Shop!

Just a tip for any Non Customers* thinking of getting in touch with Arcadia, its always best to telephone for an instant response 01706 882900 closed Tuesdays

*You may be surprised if you are seeking something other retailers have not got!!

HS4000 Kestrel for one

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Phoned the shop today to discover that Tim has suffered a mild heart attack and is in hospital. Karen and Trevor doing their best to keep things going for the 6 weeks or so that Tim is expected to be out of action. Let's hope Tim makes a full recovery, get well soon.

Edited by Nigel Emery

Phoned the shop today to discover that Tim has suffered a mild heart attack and is in hospital. Karen and Trevor doing their best to keep going for the 6 weeks or so that Tim is expected to be out of action. Let's hope Tim makes a full recovery, get well soon.

Bad news, hope he has a speedy recovery.

• RMweb Gold

I hope Tim makes a full and speedy recovery. Such a wonderful helpful chap with a great shop.

Get well soon.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

Get well soon Tim.

Was in there a couple of weeks back and he was saying he'd had an op cancelled at short notice.

The op was not heart related, it was re-scheduled for 6th. Get well soon Tim.

I am  very   sorry  to  hear  the  news,  I  have  known  Tim  for  several  years  now  and  he  is  usually  my  first  call  when  I  am  buying  items,  I wish  him  a  speedy  recovery.

Steve  Lewis