Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of time?

retroman

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be too disheartened - there are hundreds of layout threads and I'm sure your "views" count will have increased over the months. Maybe you could interpret the null response as people who are happy to look at what you've done and have nothing to criticise.

Having said that, I agree it's good to have SOME feedback!

I hope you see a turnaround now you've brought the layout to a lot of people's attention!

Jeff

A question for you here Bev, how on Earth did you do the fancy linking in your signature? I tried to with phorum code and Computer said NO

Just the usual code:

[url="http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42797-mill-lane/"][img=http://bluesuncorp.co.uk/moar/MillLane.png][/url]

Evenin' all,

I regard this forum as the equivalent of a large clubroom with loads of individuals or small groups working on their own project. If I come across something interesting then I usually scroll back and read the whole article or sometimes the entire thread...time available being a big factor too. Sometimes I'll leave comments and sometimes not. The good bit for me is that everyone is free to decide for themselves, I wouldn't take the level of response that you get as a reflection of your layout.

Cheers

Dave

I agree with Tor Giffard, lack of comment does not necessarily indicate critisism. Often the layout needs to hit a chord with the reader. I think knowing that people are reading it is somewhat more relevant. There is also the fact that a lot of people, myself for one, don't have a lot of time to spare for sitting in front of a computer. I find this site really useful for getting ideas and inspiration, so I tend to spend most of my time reading the posts. Hopefully one day I will have something worth posting for others to read, so please don't stop posting.

Paul L

I am going to go right back to the original title of the topic “Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of time†and my straight answer is “No, its not a wast of timeâ€. I ended up with my layout, been photographed by the best man in the business, a mag article, and on the national exhibition circuit, all form posting in this forum.

Cant see what all the fuss is about your layout comes across really well although a bit shoehorned in places - the cameos are very good as it is what I prefer - small and high in detail.

As regards feedback this forum has got quite large and it isn't possible to comment on every thread.

Probably just repeating things here:

I thought the ratio of postings to comments on your thread was about the norm. The really good layouts get more comments, but a lot of those will be simple 'Wow, great modelling' replies.

It's a completed layout, so inevitably people won't feel as 'involved' as they do watching a layout being built.

Are you posting content that warrents a reply? A lot of photos seem to be of a loco or a helicopter shot of a corner of the layout. No problem with posting that, but if someone posts a photo of a scratchbuilt building it'll inevitably get comments on 'how did you do the windows?' or 'is it card or plastic?'. There's not too much you can ask when there's a photo of a RTR loco :)

I wasn't clear on how your layout all fitted together. Where does it reside? Is there a trackplan? How do you operate it?

It's 70s blue diesel so while the style isn't to my taste I can't fault the choice of time period :)

hey i feel the same way!, aslong as you feel that your layout is good and feel proud of what you have acheived then hey! youve impressed yourself!

i personally think your layout is brilliant, youve make the depot seem so smart!

thanks

dan

- but, by jingo, they're British crap!

As people are aware I hate discrimination of any kind so please note we have American crap available too - it's just bigger!

Don't get me started on German crap...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

There are so many layouts I haven't the time to follow them all so I usually have a look when they first appear and if it grabs my interest I will look again. If you want specific help it may be better to put a separate post in an appropriate section. For example I can offer advice on baseboards or track wiring etc. for any layout but I may not be reading your thread if it isn't my interests. If you have some people reading it thats fine we cannot all read all threads.

Don

I think you have plenty of comments now- perhaps that's the key- start a separate thread for comments!!

Seriously though, it's a mixture of personal taste be that era, location, passenger/freight etc. -there's too much to choose from and we are all spoilt rotten by the quality and range of people's modelling.

As many have said, the best thing about these forums is that you can gain inspiration, tips and experience from others that you can incorporate in your own layout. At present I have not got a working layout and I really enjoy seeing what others are up to in the absence of my own layout. I never really feel compelled to comment on others work but I am particularly drawn to subjects where you can see the whole development of the layout from start to (sometimes) finish- (although I think many would agree that a layout is never finished!!)

It's the fact that people are willing to share their creations with other like-minded souls that counts and not the amount of responses gained- agreed, it is nice to have feedback but if that's not forthcoming, I would rather have silence than mass criticism!

Your layout is great and please don't be put off posting, people will still have a look- we're all nosy!

• RMweb Premium

Just logged in and the first thing I noticed was that this thread was continuing to grow and grow.

So the answer to the subtitle of your thread, "Who actually reads these threads?" appears to be "a hell of a lot of people!!"

So keep posting retroman, and enjoy the replies (even if they do, tongue in cheek, say your layout is crap. Coach!! :nono: )

Jeff

Your layout looks pretty good to me, yet if you hadn't posted this thread, I would probably have remained in total ignorance of it's being. I for one make very few comments for fear of upsetting someone, even when I'm giving praise.

I suppose the answer to constructive feedback is what is known in my profession (and many others I guess) as the ###### sandwich:

"This aspect is really good ....

... however I think this bit could be improved by ....

... having said that, I REALLY like THIS bit of work ...."

I agree with retroman, I could do with a sandwich or two.

I really like that sandwich,

Could do with a bit of mustard though.

Yet the bread was really nice.

I know the feeling with my last layout i did being it was my first i tried kept my topic upto date asked questionsbut had no answers. I always accept criticism good or bad but got hardly any. I mean i know my modelling is rubbish but always look for people to correct or help me with mistakes. In the end i ripped the layout up and have started again but not sure about starting a topic this time :S

I mean where did i go wrong with it i ask myself :(

Don't give up, try again but make sure the topic name spells out what can be seen and try some tags too.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, the topics I have started about layouts/topics in this section are almost like a giant virtual diary, it's good to look back at your own work and see how much something has progressed and even gives a perspective on the project, how things could be improved, or if something doesn't look quite right, it can be brought to the attention by comparing "then and now" pictures. And also when people reply it's generally quite positive (except a few tyre biters) but if something is deemed negative- usually constructive help or backed-up with a solution or alternative idea/thought is well received for members.

Jack. (only just come across this thread)

I would greatly appreciate if anyone would comment on my layout thread even if they do say how bad it is I can learn from that.

Yep, I'll go with that, though I don't seem to get many comments.

Archived