An exhibit wishlist - The Festival of British Railway Modelling, Doncaster

Andy Y

As part of an initiative for Doncaster next year - https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Exhibitions/The_Festival_of_British_Railway_Modelling/09_February_2013/10_February_2013/ - the exhibition team would like to give RMweb members the chance to offer suggestions as to which exhibitable layout you'd most like to see there.

There's obviously one very important layout that'll be there! - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/216-black-country-blues-the-rmweb-project-layout/

I'd personally say aim high and also think different!

Personally, I would like a return to what was the original concept when the shows first started: - i.e. to showcase as many as possible of the layouts that have appeared in the magazine during the previous year. That would give it a theme and purpose, making it stand out as something different rather than being just another big show (which often hasn't stood up well when compared to the likes of York, Wigan, Nottingham etc...)

Paul

P.S. from an exhibition management perspective, is it not a bit late to be booking for February 2013? - I would expect most of the Headline grabbing layouts likely to be mentioned to be booked up 2-3 years in advance...

P.S. from an exhibition management perspective, is it not a bit late to be booking for February 2013? - I would expect most of the Headline grabbing layouts likely to be mentioned to be booked up 2-3 years in advance...

It is a relevant point Paul but there's also layouts/owners new to the scene and maybe something quirky and outside the conventional fodder. I've made some suggestions too.

A rather good idea, though perhaps is a bit late to be lining up the best in layouts this close to an expo when the best may well already have solid bookings for 2013?

Although Doncaster is beyond my normal "within reach expo" I feel the idea is good enough to warrant input and good luck.

As a starter and looking to encompass all gauges and styles:

- Diesels in the Duchy

- Brewhouse Quay

- Albion Yard

- Clarendon

- St Marnock

- Stoney Lane

- Wheal Elizabeth

- Corris

and that is almost without giving it much thought. The list could get rather large.

One of the problems with lining up layouts like this is the potential to hurt some feelings by excluding exceptional layouts simply because they have no yet reached the surface of attention or that they are virtually unknown outside a local area. Going to as many shows as I do I come across many layouts but cannot help thinking they re but a slice of southern located layouts and with the exception of the big shows include nothing from the north. I suspect the reverse is true for a northern show.

Stealth Bomber, Pempoul, Birmingham New Street, Brewhouse Quay, Hellingy Hospital (sp?), Quai 87, Widnes Vine Yard.
The 'new' Trerice, ZOB Hafen (Pz), Albion Yard, Brewhouse Quay, Pempoul, Widnes VY....

Erm...

It's the Festival of BRITISH Railway Modelling... :no:

(there never has been a layout of an overseas prototype included)

Pempoul features at Peterborough in October at the 'National Festival of Railway Modelling' so the shows aren't immune from continental influences.

That's true for Peterbrough and Ally Pally (which has previously had a dedicated 'Continental Corner') but Doncaster/Harrogate has previously and deliberately been British prototypes only...

We know this because "Zertrumelt" recieved an invitation (off the back of its Ally Pally appearance). Stephen sent in the details then about 3 months later got a phone call... "er your layout, is it set in Germany? we thought it was Sumerset... Sorry but we'll have to withdraw the invitation it is a show for only British layouts..." :O :scratchhead:

I read that as The Festival of "British Railway Modelling" not as The Festival of Modelling British Railways. So not only British Railways but anything that "British Railway Modelling" aka BRM, the sponsors, care to put in. If that is exclusive to "British Railways" then maybe they should start limiting it to era specific - how fussy can you get?

Are we saying that the folk and families of Doncaster, I guess in the majority of the punters, are so a*** uptight that they have no interest in good modelling unless it is of their own back yard?

As a starter and looking to encompass all gauges and styles:

- Diesels in the Duchy

- Brewhouse Quay

- Albion Yard

- Clarendon

- St Marnock

- Stoney Lane

- Wheal Elizabeth

- Corris

and that is almost without giving it much thought. The list could get rather large.

That looks like a big chunk of the line up from Railex last week

David

• RMweb Premium

That's true for Peterbrough and Ally Pally (which has previously had a dedicated 'Continental Corner') but Doncaster/Harrogate has previously and deliberately been British prototypes only...

We know this because "Zertrumelt" recieved an invitation (off the back of its Ally Pally appearance). Stephen sent in the details then about 3 months later got a phone call... "er your layout, is it set in Germany? we thought it was Sumerset... Sorry but we'll have to withdraw the invitation it is a show for only British layouts..." :O :scratchhead:

Same thing happend to a friend of mine with an American layout at Ally Pally - was asked for details etc for Harrogate or Doncaster - got a provisional invitation and then a rejection because it wasn't British outline. Obviously a case of left hand/right hand not knowing what was going on.

Andy - to remove any doubt can you get guidance from Warners about this - is it British only or are these 'rules' now relaxed?

Mike

That looks like a big chunk of the line up from Railex last week

David

That would explain why they were fresh in my mind - perhaps it should be taken as a compliment of Railex?

There is another potential problem with an ask like this - many "favourites" are no longer on the circuit or are becoming a little passe (just about everyone has seen them at least once, and recently) I would put Hunstanton and Widnes into these categories. Two accepted layouts of exception yet familiarity ....

Perhaps what is required is a mix of old (well established and familiar) and new (as in never been on the circuit before). The trouble is that most of the larger expos just are not into taking a risk with the unknown and therefore tend to stick with the tried, trusted and club veterans.

It would be very easy for the list of layouts to grow into a massive list of everything there is or has been.

Blackgill

Stainmore Summit

Leicester South

Thornes Yard

Longcarse West ( out of retirement? )

Bradfield Gloucester Square

Diesels in the Duchy

And any combination of Wibdenshaw, Canada Road and Easington Lane.

• RMweb Gold

There is another potential problem with an ask like this - many "favourites" are no longer on the circuit or are becoming a little passe (just about everyone has seen them at least once, and recently) I would put Hunstanton and Widnes into these categories. Two accepted layouts of exception yet familiarity ....

Yes, exhibiting twice a year, maybe three times does get you into the passe category - which rules out virtually every decent layout out there, but it really depends on where you see them, Scotland, Wales, and the South haven't been visited too often by our team, neither has the South East so I'm not sure everyone in the country has seen Widnes yet :scratchhead:

I believe Andy wanted a list of what people do want to see rather than dismissing others suggestions - otherwise the thread will get really silly (sillier) :nono:

Perhaps what is required is a mix of old (well established and familiar) and new (as in never been on the circuit before). The trouble is that most of the larger expos just are not into taking a risk with the unknown and therefore tend to stick with the tried, trusted and club veterans.

Pretty much what I was thinking, that a thread like this is almost by definition unlikely to come up with any fresh talent. Just an observation.

Well on the other hand, the internet fora have a lot of good modelling that isn't heavily exposed to the 'circuit'. Though the layouts off the internet I'd put top of the list as "must see" tend to be built into a lofts etc and not going to any shows, sadly.

Can't remember ever seeing Chard St James / Summers Lane from the Donyatt MRC - two layouts together making one long modern image OO layout - featured in the modelling press or at any "big" exhibitions. Was impressed when I saw it a few years back at the show near Bristol. Can only find a reference on UKModelshops though, doesn't seem to have a club website.

Did you mean Nunstanton? If so then after Spalding in November that's it. For good. So catch it while you can.

Working on a list for Doncaster!

Guest jim s-w

Stealth Bomber, Pempoul, Birmingham New Street, Brewhouse Quay, Hellingy Hospital (sp?), Quai 87, Widnes Vine Yard.

At least.

Thanks Stubby but the request was for exhibitable layouts - bns would be any where near this stage until the late 2020s early 2030s and when it is ready theres 4 or 5 years of invites already in the queue

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

I am a bit unsure of the point of this thread to be honest. I'd be amazed I'f any established layouts are still taking bookings for 2013 especially February. Moor street is taking bookings for late 2015/ early 2016 at the moment.

Cheers

Jim

Did you mean Nunstanton?  If so then after Spalding in November that's it. For good. So catch it while you can.

Working on a list for Doncaster!

Yes, I did, and I can't even blame fat fingers this time. A great shame that this particular layout is in permanent retirement but I guess it has been pretty much exploited by most of the shows in the past years (as so many of the good layouts) which was the point really. It is pretty difficult being a virtual expo manager even if you are just picking names off the shelf. Just wait till they come to try to book them and to get them to fit in the available space at Doncaster.

• RMweb Premium

Did someone mention wishlist? evilgrin0039.gif Right I'm in.

I want:

Ortago

Yatton Junction

Roseladden Wharf

Chee Tor

Ste Colline des Champs

Eastwell Ironstone Company

Rhiwgoch

Catalunya

Cwmafon

January '68

I may be back with more later ....