Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

John / Doug, sorry for the delay in responding but I've been attending to the other locos. Many thanks for the helpful comments and I've just added a hint of oily grot on the coupling rods and connectors.

This week is devoted to getting Much Murkle ready for the Cradley heath exhibition this satyrday. I've had a thorough check of everything, a good clean up and testing session. Fingers crossed everything will perform well on the day including me!

• RMweb Gold

looking forward to seeing Much Murkle on Saturday (19th October) at the cradley heath exhibition.

Cheers

Frank

..... and what a great time we had Frank. I think there was always someone in front of the layout watching all day long and I had lots of positive comments and three more show invites.

Much Murkle ran almost faultlessly all day, the only issues were some couplings that got knocked slightly out of alignment on the journey but once the stock was removed from the layout and the couplings tweaked all was well there. The layout usually resides in an unheated garage and a few of the cassettes were a bit tight in the cassette / layout interface probably due to the heat in the hall.

An over enthusiastic punter prodding a signal and breaking the arm off was the only negative for me, but as I have the signals earmarked for replacement anyway it's no big deal.

I'm looking forward to the next outing which will be at Newbury on February 8th.

• RMweb Gold

I hope you broke his finger off.

I may have done if I'd seen him do it. It happened while I was away from the layout. My wife who was on operating on her own saw him do it and he disappeared before she could think of what to say. 

Despite having notices asking people not to touch, it is amazing how many people think it is acceptable to use the edge of the layout to steady their forearms whilst taking photos, or have to touch something to be able to ask a question about it. I had many great conversations and interesting comments with people but also seemed to spend a similar amount of time politely telling others to keep there bodily parts to themselves.

Edited by nickwood

• RMweb Gold

For a bit of a laugh I put Much Murkle into Google tonight just to see what came up. I was surprised to find that it now features on the layouts section of gwr.org (linked to this thread) that I wasn't aware of, but this surprised me even more

grosyeux.gif

Trainz

Someone has gone to the length of replicating the layout for simulator use. It's all there but the buildings look different.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So glad the show went well........it certainly deserved to with all the preparation that you put in. I imagine the calendar for 2014 will soon be filling up?

I am impressed at both your ability to delegate and train...... leaving your wife to operate! Where was Pete had he sloped off for a pint as well?

Regards from Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

I occasionally have a think about having a play with Trainz but never got round to it.

they do say imitation is the highest form of flattery :)

Yes I am quite flattered by it and quite fancy a go on it myself but I don't have Trainz.

So glad the show went well........it certainly deserved to with all the preparation that you put in. I imagine the calendar for 2014 will soon be filling up?

I am impressed at both your ability to delegate and train...... leaving your wife to operate! Where was Pete had he sloped off for a pint as well?

Regards from Vancouver

Hello John, good to see you back around. Pete gave a hand in the morning but had problems getting used to the DC controller. I had to sack him in the end  :no: Hopefully I'll get some time to catch up on Granby soon.

For a bit of a laugh I put Much Murkle into Google tonight just to see what came up. I was surprised to find that it now features on the layouts section of gwr.org (linked to this thread) that I wasn't aware of, but this surprised me even more

grosyeux.gif

Trainz

Someone has gone to the length of replicating the layout for simulator use. It's all there but the buildings look different.

That looks like it could be a good layout planning tool, clever stuff too.

Hi Nick, I'm glad all went well (not quite, perhaps) at MM's outing. And Janet helping too, it's good when one can share these things. I wouldn't have expected anything else about MM's performance considering the quality of your workmanship.

Regarding the closeness of the customers and their annoying habits and bad manners the solution to that I found was to have some distance between them, the layout and me particularly where there was no barrier.

Because of this you may recall that elsewhere I advocated the use of a table (or tables) to sit the layout on rather than being dependent on its own legs. These give the opportunity to place the layout to the rear and leaves open table at the front on which they can lean, place their bags and baggage and so on as well as keeping prodding fingers further back.

Alright I know table heights aren't good operating heights or for the best viewing but I got around that by raising the layout by means of 'I" beams made out of 6" timbers. It worked well and gave space underneath for spare stock, cups of tea and the like.

All good wishes,

Edited by john flann

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't believe that I haven't posted anything since October :O

Much Murkle will be at the Newbury MRC exhibition on Saturday 8th February. Details here http://www.newburymrc.co.uk/common/home.htm

Please say hello if you are coming along.

I haven't made any changes to prevent prodding fingers as happened at the last outing at Cradley Heath. On reflection I will see what happens this time and if it is still a problem then I will have to do something about it. I do have a team of more experienced operators this time so it is not so likely that anyone will be able to touch without getting noticed. I'm also intending to spend most of my time at the front of house talking to the visitors

I have replaced the damaged signal in readiness with a Dapol motorised version.

post-7649-0-21200600-1389125301.jpg

post-7649-0-12573600-1389125310.jpg

Cheers

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

What a fantastic layout.  Many thanks for sharing.  It has taken me nearly all night to read (pages take a while to load out here).  Well worth the frustration.

• RMweb Gold

What a fantastic layout.  Many thanks for sharing.  It has taken me nearly all night to read (pages take a while to load out here).  Well worth the frustration.

Hi MIB

Many thanks for having the patience to trawl through the ramblings. You are lucky you found it here, on another forum it runs right back to the beginnings and runs to over 25 pages :O

• RMweb Gold

Whilst getting MM ready for the Newbury show I thought some more of my wagons could do with a load. Particularly the Open C tube wagon shown in this photo.

post-7649-0-20278600-1390079664.jpg

As Much Murkle is set in the 1930's it is feasible that around this time the settlement would have been connected to a mains drainage system and a large amount of pipes of varying sizes would have been required. I liked the idea of large diameter drainage pipes being delivered and have been looking unsuccesfully for some to buy for quite a while. Not having found anything suitable thoughts turned to making my own but they would have to be more convincing than just a plain pipe. They would have to have a representation of the connecting collar at one end and here is how I've gone about making the pipes.

First take two slaters styrene pipes of different diameters. They do need to be a push fit.

post-7649-0-21944500-1390079509.jpg

post-7649-0-23350700-1390079520.jpg

Cut the smaller pipe into suitable lengths

post-7649-0-63770400-1390079533.jpg

But how to make the collar?  You could do it by just cutting a small length of the larger pipe and slipping it over the end, but that is too easy and not the Woody way. If you look at a pipe collar it tapers towards the end but how to replicate that ?

This is how

post-7649-0-86589500-1390079540.jpg

post-7649-0-01584700-1390079571.jpg

Then cut a small length off and slip it on the end of the pipe and secure with a small amount of MEK

post-7649-0-88365800-1390079580.jpg

post-7649-0-29158200-1390079588.jpg

post-7649-0-34341900-1390079595.jpg

I had two small lengths of the smaller tube left over so thought it would be fun to make a Y junction as well

post-7649-0-78067600-1390079633.jpg

There is even play value to all of this as the components clip together

post-7649-0-07178500-1390079603.jpg

post-7649-0-27327700-1390079624.jpg

I've made enough to load the Open C Tube wagon and have a small stack in the goods yard.

Painting next.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I didn't think something so mundane would create such interest, thanks everyone for the replies and the likes, it is appreciated.

The Open C tube wagon is the Ratio kit. One I had in store for a good few years before finally making it. I'm not surprised that Ratio dropped it as I recall it being a bit of a pig to build. The floor came in two parts making it very difficult to keep the assembly square during construction. Can't remember now how I got over the problem but it probably had an interesting soundtrack. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1