Dapol 2012/3 - New catalogue announcements

Andy Y

Garter Blue British Railway livery is not something that should have appeared in the catalogue.

The addendum on liveries and product codes will appear soon.

Incidentally the A4 Sir nigel Gresley isnt a mistake in double chimney Garter Blue form as it carried this form in 1978 and ram a few railtours (easily found as colour pictures on the web).

As for the BR Express passenger Blue A3, that was merely a paintbox play of mine, to check various hues etc. Nothing was decided then, and still isnt im afraid.

cheers

Dave

Gresley as 4468 in Garter Blue with no valances is from original restoration until some time around or after 1980- a good steamer for those doing BR Corporate Blue era.....

This was taken at NCB Lambton while BR was in the throes of its steam ban.

post-13358-0-94531900-1342959858_thumb.jpg

the wheels don't show up very well but are LNER red.

All the very best

Les

Incidentally the A4 Sir nigel Gresley isnt a mistake in double chimney Garter Blue form as it carried this form in 1978 and ram a few railtours (easily found as colour pictures on the web).

cheers

Dave

I knew SNG ran a large number of railtours in the 1980s (and some stonking ones on then S&C) but I was not aware of it raming any!

I thought rough shunting was a modern thing with drivers more used to coupling freight trains (which don't tend to complain).

Can we have the polished KX buffers please.

I knew SNG ran a large number of railtours in the 1980s (and some stonking ones on then S&C) but I was not aware of it raming any!

I thought rough shunting was a modern thing with drivers more used to coupling freight trains (which don't tend to complain).

Can we have the polished KX buffers please.

I understand at NCB Lambton they had to rebuild the end wall of the shed Gresley was kept in (again - the NCB had put it out a couple of times....)

Les

That's funny,. there is another Loggerheads in Staffordshire, near Market Drayton. I found it when I was at the PO/BT training college at Stone. Somewhere I have a photo of my first car, a 105E Anglia, parked by the village nameboard.

Roger

Was EVERYBODY at POTS a railway enthusiast? I think about 50% of the people I know who are into railways real model or virtual went there.......and I know quite a few!

Was EVERYBODY at POTS a railway enthusiast? I think about 50% of the people I know who are into railways real model or virtual went there.......and I know quite a few!

I have only ever met one other. As I was single at the time I stayed up there for weekends. I went down to the Severn Valley, to the Welshpool & LLanfair, all round Staffordshire & Derbyshire and up to Woodhead. In between times I did Telegraph Machines 1, 2, & Teleprinter 15. No electronics, all cams, springs, gears & levers.

Roger.

• RMweb Premium

Can I second that? A 4mm version would be welcome, especially since my project is now defunct. Dapol have done the R&D so a new 4mm one shouldn't be too much of a stretch?

• RMweb Premium

You're playing with us again, aren't you? ;)

Either way, for the 7mm (and any maybe future 4mm version), I hope it's possible to get some of the nitty gritty detail right for different members of the class. In my research I found quite a few little variations that might get missed, such as the design of the covers for the removed condenser pipes on the tank fronts, amongst all the other little things. I know such little details are probably bottom of your list of priorities for producing a model as they would undoubtedly add cost, and most people probably wouldn't even notice them, but it's the details like these that give each member of the class their individual characters :)

Seeing the 7mm announcement seriously had me thinking of going for O gauge. Now all I'd need to do that would be a half decent job :(

(snipped)

As for the BR Express passenger Blue A3, that was merely a paintbox play of mine, to check various hues etc. Nothing was decided then, and still isnt im afraid.

cheers

Dave

Ahh I see..thanks for the clarification Dave. I assumed that one was in the pipeline as one was on display. Still it frees up some money for something else in the meantime :)

R E Faust

The pannier looks lovely and a massive improvement on the existing Farish model. The only downside to this one (and an understandable compromise) is the skirt under the boiler. The fruit D is also a massive plus.

Other downside is the topfeed/piping making it a post 1946 loco. All the manufacturers seam to do this, then release it with GREAT WESTERN on the side, a livery that had gone many years before topfeeds started to appear.

Mike Wiltshire

Other downside is the topfeed/piping making it a post 1946 loco. All the manufacturers seam to do this, then release it with GREAT WESTERN on the side, a livery that had gone many years before topfeeds started to appear.

Not to mention whistle shields, bunker steps and handrails, all of which are post-1936-8, so shirtbutton livery perhaps but GWR more likely.

Nick

ps. numbering needs attention too, e.g. 6739 built 1930 should have early cab and 9659 built 1946 should have late cab.

The long awaited class 142 is nearing completion...

post-1-0-05889400-1342534872_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-97582600-1342534881_thumb.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this bouncy bus, but I hope Dapol have done something about the height of the side windows before going to tooling, because these are blatantly not tall enough! I think it's the way they've represented the slight curve on the window sill base? Side windows being not-quite-tall-enough seems to be a theme with N gauge at the moment, for some reason (Dapol Mk 3, Class 26, Farish 60...). We are talking small amounts here, but I find it noticable. Run your eyeballs along the half-height panel line on this prototype shot, then compare;

800px-19880218-Preston-142061.jpg

Photo from Wikipedia Commons

PS I really hope they do one in this livery alongside the innevitable privatisation colour schemes.

PS I really hope they do one in this livery alongside the innevitable privatisation colour schemes.

Based on past models like the 153 and 156s, the original liveries were better sellers than some of the privatisation era ones and got extra runs. Based on this I would expect the original Pacer livery to among those produced.

ND204C O-6-0PT PANNIER TANK #9659 GWR GREEN WITH ‘GWR’

post-1-0-12118700-1342531329_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if this loco is right for the model? I have found a shot of 9659 at OOC still in (rather grimy) GWR livery more than 10 years after nationaistion.

http://www.whiteice....lworks 9659.htm

However the thing to note is that this loco is a member of the 8750 class which has the later pattern cab with the rounded corners. The model shown has the livery applied to the wrong cab variant.

Dave, is there time to correct this berfore production? The new pannier is a beautiful model and I am impressed that you have taken the effort to model the different cab variants. I hope that there is time to make sure this particular model has the correct cab variant.

As I said a few days ago:

...numbering needs attention too, e.g. 6739 built 1930 should have early cab and 9659 built 1946 should have late cab.

...However the thing to note is that this loco is a member of the 8750 class...I hope that there is time to make sure this particular model has the correct cab variant.

Given that both 57XX and 8750 variants are to be produced, would it not be easier just to change the numbers?

Nick

Hi Guys

A friend just called to say there is an implication of an all new Blue Spot fish van in 4mm in the catalogue. Has anyone else noticed this (tried a site search but couldn't see anything) or can DapolDave put me out of my misery?

MikeyT

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

A friend just called to say there is an implication of an all new Blue Spot fish van in 4mm in the catalogue. Has anyone else noticed this (tried a site search but couldn't see anything) or can DapolDave put me out of my misery?

MikeyT

Just looked through the catalogue and your friend is correct, there on page 101 are the details and it does say 'new model', suprised I and everyone else seems to have missed this and Dapol didn't shout about it either!

cheers, Richard

Given that both 57XX and 8750 variants are to be produced, would it not be easier just to change the numbers?

Hard to say, not every loco carried every livery, particularly humble classes like the pannier which could go a long time between repaints. I have at least 1 picture of 9659 in post-war GWR livery but there is no guarantee the earlier loco carried it.

Hard to say, not every loco carried every livery, particularly humble classes like the pannier which could go a long time between repaints. I have at least 1 picture of 9659 in post-war GWR livery but there is no guarantee the earlier loco carried it.

I realise that, what I meant was change the numbers to ones that are suitable, not just swap them :no: Though, as I've also mentioned before, neither of the green ones as shown at the start of the topic are suitable for GREAT WESTERN livery, so Dapol need to do a little more thinking here.

Nick

• 1 year later...

Archived