The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

I have spent recently with my son Nicholas, several days on the 2"0" in N Wales, and most enjoyable it was too. It also culminated at LHR, on our last evening a very pleasant meeting with Nick Wood, (MM) and his wife. Nick has been a "virtual" friend of mine for a long time and it was exceedingly good to confirm it as a real friendship.

It seems likely that after tomorrow I shall be without this computer connection until another one is set up.

post-3088-0-12347900-1473690988_thumb.jpg

So in the meantime here are two of the last set of images. Again, whilst familiar scenes are depicted they are fresh shots

post-3088-0-61324400-1473691013_thumb.jpg

Now my immediate task is to finish the current board of Port Bredy and to add a further one. This I need to get on with but first I have to prepare a wall to receive them and attendant staging yard. This will keep me busy but I have to get on with it to meet RM deadlines for an article in 2017. I hope to illustrate the progress I make.

So below is an appropriate note to complete this posting. And, I do thank you for your appreciation of, and interest in all matters Hintock.

post-3088-0-11927400-1473691050_thumb.jpg

Hi John

It's good to know you managed to catch up with Nick while you were over here, your two layouts were some of the first I followed on RMweb and were an inspiration to achieve a higher standard of modelling than I had many years before, I would like to have been there simply to shake your hands and say thanks.

As you know I was absent from the site for a while so I have just been having a brief catch up, it's good to see you still producing excellent work with Port Bredy and I hope to be doing the same at 86. I may have missed it during my catch up but I take it this latest layout is separate from Hintock.

I look forward to seeing it completed.

All the best

Jim

Jim. it's good to see you back again on here and posting, Hemyock has been missed and your skills with it. So please post when you can.

Thank you for those kind words about Hintock, I'm glad you enjoy it. i get a lot of fun from it.

Meeting Nick was a memorable occasion, we met for a meal at my hotel and a chat and we took to each other straightaway. It could have lasted a lot longer but Nick and Janet, his wife had commitments the next day and an early start and I had through seven or nine time zones a long transatlantic/ transcontinental flight ahead of me.(Nicholas flew back separately.) But it all  worked out very well. When next we meet again is a good question. It did demonstrate also how friendships formed on-line can translate into a real human and personal relationship.

Yes, Port Bredy is physically separate from Hintock itself, and the connection a virtual one. It's a convenient dodge; if connected they would, together be larger than I would wish and hence more difficult to manage. And as they each have different characteristics making a move from one to another is a refreshing change. That is aided too by there being in different, but adjacent rooms. American basements are so very accommodating!

My very best regards,

• RMweb Gold

Meeting Nick was a memorable occasion, we met for a meal at my hotel and a chat and we took to each other straightaway. It could have lasted a lot longer but Nick and Janet, his wife had commitments the next day and an early start and I had through seven or nine time zones a long transatlantic/ transcontinental flight ahead of me.(Nicholas flew back separately.) But it all  worked out very well. When next we meet again is a good question. It did demonstrate also how friendships formed on-line can translate into a real human and personal relationship.

I can't add anything to that, other than to say it was a pleasure and an honour to spend time with you John. I would hope that it might be possible for Janet and I to arrange a vist to the States which includes a visit to Utah.

Thanks Andy, for the mention of my card system for operating.

It's not difficult to set up or use and brings in a random fashion order and method to operation.

if any interested member wishes to contact me please do so on my Hintock thread, below.

Similarly with my Hintock website.

I have been unable to post images on Hintock thread and now thanks to son Nicholas I can. 

To celebrate and make a test run, here are two images I particularly like.

I hope you do too.

Further postings will show progress of Port Bredy in the early stages of its re-location to its permanent home.

post-3088-0-20314800-1474855162_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-02749400-1474855454_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif DSCN5433-1.jpg

I have been unable to post images on Hintock thread and now thanks to son Nicholas I can. 

To celebrate and make a test run, here are two images I particularly like.

I hope you do too.

Further postings will show progress of Port Bredy in the early stages of its re-location to its permanent home.

attachicon.gifDSCN5434-1.jpg

John - the photos are great once again, and as I have commented before, the buildings and railway seamless in their relationship with each other and coming together to provide a credible, believable railway station and environs. Your buildings are wonderful creations John and they give the system so much operational interest as well; which I know you really push hard on. Nice work, nice photos.

regards, Andy R

post-3088-0-99204100-1475202537_thumb.jpg

A familiar sight and one that I always enjoy, but things are changing at Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-53446900-1475202645_thumb.jpg

Benchwork has been erected and soon on it will be resting the baseboards of Port Bredy.

These supports are out of 3" x 1" and 2 " x 2" and the largest shelf brackets I could find. All the timbers were  pre-cut at Home Depot so assembly was straightforward.

post-3088-0-58254400-1475202702_thumb.jpg

Once up I used them to build a second baseboard out of 1/4" ply and 2" x1", glued together. Here it is in course of assembly.

post-3088-0-84909300-1475202726_thumb.jpg

The RH end.

post-3088-0-52601600-1475202752_thumb.jpg

Surface level is at 48". I find it an ideal height. Excellent for viewing and photography.

The finished job so far, track and buildings/structures laid loosely on the further board.

It all looks quite promising.

Further progress will be delayed as next week I hope to be visiting in Montana.

Looks good John, the extension will make it more of a Layout than a diorama and it could now be classed as a second Hintock, just a shame you cant get them both in the same room with maybe even a Fiddle yard / Staging Yard in between them for a full service.

Please keep the excellent pics of progress coming.

Have a good break in Montana.

All the vey best.

Gentlemen, your likes and kind comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Responding:-

Martyn: As you know it's not co-incidental.The station building at West Bay is a handsome structure, fitting, and pleasing to regard. I have happy memories as you have, of that locality, and remember visiting when it was vacant, a little forlorn and waiting for a new useful function. I'm pleased it now has that and its heritage respected.

It will feature, in due course, by a contribution regarding Hintock and the area in which it is set on my Hintock website.

Mikkel: I'm delighted with the result. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and readily it was possible to assemble. I didn't want it to impose nor be of a heavy and obtrusive nature. One hardly notices it.

Not only was it easy to set up, dismantling would be equally so. Another important consideration.

AndyP:, It was always my intention to enlarge on that first board but a lot of other things had to happen before I could take possession of the "new" wall. I'm also glad it's out of my Hintock room. It was getting too cluttered and enjoyment of Hintock diminished. I can now enjoy it in it's own right.

it is a thought to combine the two-and I have the space if i wanted to-but it would then become too large tor me to handle and no fun would ensue.

Hintock too and  Port Bredy although part of the same branch line are of a different character,The trick here now with PB is to get the new board to catch the "feel" of the first.

Hello John,

Been a while since I checked in with Port Brady and I can see much has progressed. I also really like the constructional pictures and very much appreciate you posting them as I know your displeasure at doing so but form me this is just as interesting as I may have said earlier. I do like the distinct feeling of both PB and Hintock and am back on board with seeing how you progress with this. Very much liking the pictures so atmospheric.

Regards

Tom

Tom, I'm pleased to see you back here again and I hope that with the way things are going you will do so more frequently. I do take your point about you and other members like to see works in progress but unless they are of some significance I don't see uusefulness of posting. I'd sooner be constructing and getting somewhere.

However, i did think the manner I set about the bench work was worthy of sharing. I've not seen much about the subject posted and where I have the work seems totally over engineered for the task in hand. Similarly with baseboard construction. The PB baseboard I brought into play is 6'2 long and about 19" wide. I was able single handed to lift and get it through two doorways without difficulty. (And me an old guy 86 years old.) So that says something.

Any way enough of that. I've made further progress and the following show it.

post-3088-0-74240800-1475349983_thumb.jpg

What i'm doing here is extending the loop. I was a little concerned such extension would impinge upon the area occupied by the goods shed. That did happen but by moving the siding back and placing the goods shed in front a better arrangement has ensued.

post-3088-0-93868200-1475350013_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-97900600-1475350031_thumb.jpg

I wanted to divide the layout up so that the two halves were distinct but still part of the whole and this bridge does I think, the trick.

Here it is in mock-up mode. The problem was that I didn't want to have the road over the bridge hit the back scene head on and I was discussing this with son Nicholas. He came up with the idea to turn it to the R. It can then disappear behind trees and the cottages (borrowed from Hintock for the moment.)

post-3088-0-73427100-1475350052_thumb.jpg

One of the features of this board is an engine shed, ex Ratio.. But I do not care for the deep cut masonry so I've filled the cuts with Spackle (Pollyfilla in the UK )and a coat of paint will take care of that.

The area between the shed and the running line will be the coal yard. A wall will separate the Loco Department's shed and and the Goods Dept coal yard..

post-3088-0-99614700-1475350164_thumb.jpg

Getting there, the curve along the front carries the line, and the eye, to the existing curve and onward into the station.

Next task is to bring it all to a successful completion..

After posting those earlier images I had another look at those I had taken and thought these further three better showed the scene

.post-3088-0-61883100-1475360146_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-85614800-1475360113_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-44588800-1475360165_thumb.jpg

It's taken me a long while and numerous false starts to get to this point.

Nice work JOhn. Like the thinking in the layout design.

Regards Andy R

After posting those earlier images I had another look at those I had taken and thought these further three better showed the scene

.attachicon.gifDSCN0216-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0217-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0222-1.jpg

It's taken me a long while and numerous false starts to get to this point.

Tom, I'm pleased to see you back here again and I hope that with the way things are going you will do so more frequently. I do take your point about you and other members like to see works in progress but unless they are of some significance I don't see uusefulness of posting. I'd sooner be constructing and getting somewhere.

However, i did think the manner I set about the bench work was worthy of sharing. I've not seen much about the subject posted and where I have the work seems totally over engineered for the task in hand. Similarly with baseboard construction. The PB baseboard I brought into play is 6'2 long and about 19" wide. I was able single handed to lift and get it through two doorways without difficulty. (And me an old guy 86 years old.) So that says something.

I wanted to divide the layout up so that the two halves were distinct but still part of the whole and this bridge does I think, the trick.

Here it is in mock-up mode. The problem was that I didn't want to have the road over the bridge hit the back scene head on and I was discussing this with son Nicholas. He came up with the idea to turn it to the R. It can then disappear behind trees and the cottages (borrowed from Hintock for the moment.)

Getting there, the curve along the front carries the line, and the eye, to the existing curve and onward into the station.

Hello John,

Thanks for the explanation and understand your "just do it" attitude as doing is better than talking. I have snipped your reply above but picked out some things that stood out to me. I particularly like the line of sight you have created and it somehow it just conjures up the idea of a sleepy coastal village. Having never really been to the West Country I am taking my reference from pictures but I think you have captured the atmosphere of Port Bredy well. I also like your breaking of the layout visually and think that your considered layout of the layout now works really well. Anyway looking forward to the continuing story.

Regards

Tom

i always am pleased to see how these efforts of mine are "liked" and well regarded. Thank you gentlemen.

And, to respond more particularly to  AndyR and Tom, those are perceptive remarks, yes, a lot of thinking lies behind my activities. Here I didn't want a large layout but something that in essence was reasonably prototypical, interesting in its way to operate, attractive to look at and overall- be credible.

I'm getting there with all that and I think too I've captured the atmosphere of a Joint Dorset branch line. (Included in that is the intent to provide a road in the staging yard for S&DR trains. Despite my allegiance to GWR/SR I have a soft spot for the LMSR.) Mullie who lives there says so and as have others who know Dorset and its sleepy nature. That I consider a great compliment. 

I'll now proceed on with making things happen.

Archived