The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

You're quite right Colin for that last image is overexposed. The camera was mistaken. It can't be expected to get it entirely right every time. I did too in my introduction say that these were trial shots and normally would not have used that image. Because it's below par.

What you see on here is what I take, apart from re-sizing and sharpening I make no artificial improvements/adjustments as  with Photoshop.

As to weathering I'm sure somewhere on this thread are references to my methods-wouldn't it be marvelous to have a ready index-but my methods are straightforward. I only weather to take away the plastic shine, to bring up detail and make stock look like the real stuff considering time and place.

I use washes of water colour/acrylic paint. The great advantage being if you don't like the result it can soon be washed off under the tap. Often too if I have had a dark coolur on my brush I rub it off on wagon underframes and bogies.   Anything to get rid of that plastic shine.

It's very much a suck and see process-well, at least for me.

Colin, my mind yesterday was full of other things but when I awoke I remembered I had these images of water colour weathered wagons as below.

The open mineral I also re-lettered HQC for the Hintock Quarry Company, the grain wagon is from Bachmann and the open by Dapol. Strictly speaking the steel mineral is out of period but as I had  two as a gift I could not them lie idle.

Further in many of the images wagons/locos are on display and you can see there what I've done. Coaches I prefer to be clean but I always repaint roofs and ends and weather the bogies. Locos too are reasonably clean have coal, crews. lamps/discs  but nonetheless are treated-circumspectly.

post-3088-0-78142400-1480951522_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-36460000-1480951546_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-54346000-1480951565_thumb.jpg

As always, John, superlative work and detail. I love the rust effect on the mineral wagon. Port Bredy is taking shape and it is always intersting to see how you go about developing the layout, keeping in mind your own specific criteria and background story. It certainly keeps this reader coming back for more.

All the best

Andy

Thank you for the likes and AndyM and Colin for your comments: my intent for Port Bredy were that it should be smaller and simpler. Like all good intentions that did not occur but taking opportunities along the way I've come up with  a much better layout.. And I'm very pleased with it particularly as I've got all the hard work out of the way, more or less, and can enjoy developing it in scenic and operational terms. I'm glad too you appreciated the rather heavy but in keeping, weathering. It was a most enjoyable exercise.

post-3088-0-47948400-1481383435_thumb.jpg

Woke up yesterday to our first heavy fall of snow and now are faced with more plus rain. So it's overcast with a forecast for more through the week. That set me thinking of summer days at Hintock and this is an example of what one might enjoy there on a warmish afternoon in the sun and a fresh breeze off the sea-a Prairie going placidly about its business at Hintock Dairies.

Now to business (and creating in the end a not dis-similar ambience), an update at Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-57598100-1481383497_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-00558900-1481383520_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-12861500-1481383546_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-04464000-1481383587_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-44590400-1481383724_thumb.jpg

And a foretaste of photographic scenic creations. It looks promising.

post-3088-0-89401300-1481383744_thumb.jpg

Yes AndyP, that is a nice shot-although I says it myself-but it's difficult not to take one of a Prairie in such surroundings. Now added to it is another slightly further back image. Both very much Hintock.

post-3088-0-80347700-1481469783_thumb.jpg

As to Port Bredy it's 14'0 in all, 11'0 scenic, 3'0 staging yard.

Also with the completion of major works, baseboards, track laying, ballasting etc emerging from its building site appearance and beginning to have the makings of an attractive layout. Everything is a lot tidier with construction materials put away.

And thanks gentlemen for the likes.

• RMweb Premium

Another double-take here.  The "new" background perfectly matches what one would see in reality.  The changes to the lighting which bring in the daylight effect ..... As John knows I am quite familiar with that part of England where his empire sits and this is it in photographic form.

As always thanks gentlemen for your interest in my Hintock Branch and current goings on at Port Bredy.

Well, I'm happy to see the basic construction phase is coming to an end and this is probably the last (thank goodness) batch of images (I won't call them photographs) I shall post illustrating my activities in that regard.

No captions: most should be self-explanatory and , of course, if you have any questions please do ask.

post-3088-0-89430700-1482159416_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-22610200-1482159443_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-41241600-1482159475_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-91164300-1482159503_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-53240100-1482159531_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-19799000-1482159567_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-61351800-1482159591_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-24947000-1482159613_thumb.jpg

And to conclude this post a proper photograph of a finished job. A S&DR goods with a trusty 3F at the head pulling away from Hintock. It doesn't get much prominence bu it will be recalled the S&DR has running rights over the Joint GWR/SR Hintock Branch from Sturminster Newton down to Port Bredy. This is the twice weekly train working back.

This little twist in the Hintock story enables me to introduce the humble hard working 3F and one of my favourite LM&SR locos.

post-3088-0-48054900-1482159786_thumb.jpg

Image 1 & 2 John, I love that gate at an angle between what I assume to be the Station Masters House and the Station Building, a wonderful little touch.

And image 4, the Main Line with a lovely curve off to the rest of the World, (well Dorset at least).

Thanks AndyP, yes that gate is between the SM's house and the Station itself. To the R of it are Station Cottages for other staff.

I always endeavour to place buildings in non-angular positions for they are not soldiers on parade. One has to avoid jerkiness between them and still retain their natural flow. I'm rather fond of the manner in which the buildings to the R of the engine shed in image 6 have naturally fallen in together. That has the makings of a nice scene with the approaching curved road, wall and Signal Box up from the level crossing.

As you say too that long curve is so very appealing. That was in the "plan" from the outset much of the rest gets developed as I go.

Who's Level Crossing Gates will you use? I used the Gaugemaster ones on Pencarne, and they were built to work with your finger, which is very nice for Photos, especially if you have a selection of Vehicles to change over from time to time, (or Horse Drawn Carts).

Hi John,

Great progress.

That last shot of Hintock is pure magic; personally I think the neutral sky background you use works far better than a beautiful but intrusive scenery view. The contrast you've achieved highlights the model itself and cannot be improved IMO.

BTW what is that odd prod like device at bottom right used for, uncoupling rod?

AndyP: the gates are from Ratio kit 509 and will not be working.

The road they protect is not a public highway but a private GWR/SR access to the small yard next the quay. They are within the station limits and opened and shut by hand by the porter/signalman in the adjacent box, only manned when a train is in the section, and not be signaled directly.

Colin: the "prod" is one of my uncoupling poles. I use Kadees and the pole is for uncoupling as I find magnets not 100% reliable nor where I ever need them. It's made from a length of small diameter brass tube, a tapestry needle at the working end and so I can find them, a bright coloured push pin in the other.

I find them very convenient and they live on the shelf I have along the front of the layout(s). One can often be seen in my photographs.

Thankyou both for your interest and others for your "likes".

post-3088-0-81148600-1482332843_thumb.jpeg

A Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year to you all.

My regards.

John

attachicon.gifChristmas Card (1).jpeg

My regards.

John

Thanks John, and also to Holly for a lovely Card, A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and all your Family.

My regards.

John

Many thanks John for enlightening us with your expertise during the year.

Also a shameless plug for your wonderful websites, which are a 'must read' for all those who have not yet had a look.   http://www.hintockbranch.com/    http://www.gunnerflann.com/      :good:

Archived