The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Gentlemen, through this year and from earlier you have shown an interest in my activities at Hintock by the likes indicated, the comments made and the presence of lurkers. I appreciate that very much. Keeping this thread going by developing Hintock itself and the accompanying story gives me a lot of fun and it's obvious many of you feel that too. I'm glad it does.

AnyP and Mike it was good of you to make those kind comments and I shall pass them on to my grand daughter Holly who was very happy to apply her artistic talents to the task. I was delighted when she sent it me.

Mick too for your remarks not only about the greetings card and my efforts with Hintock but also the "plug" about my websites; the Hintock site, as below, sets out my modelling philosophy and amplifies much of my Hintock related thinking.

My Gunner site, again as below for while it is OT, (and please no comments here, you can do that on the site) is an account not only of a piece of military history but of a slice of social history. More to the point we National Servicemen are a disappearing lot and more important still is a reminder and in honour of my fellow squaddies, who served, fought and died.

They must not be forgotten.

If you do turn to it-it is a good and easy read-, perhaps you will ponder the subject and in particular give those young men a thought.

And ,this post is concluded with a picture illustrating the Joint nature of the Branch and with the sun shining on Hintock.

post-3088-0-89063100-1482509149_thumb.jpg

(Two shunting poles in evidence showing both pointed and blunt ends. They are so very handy.)

• RMweb Premium

John

For another year I have greatly enjoyed following your developments in Dorset and continue to respect and learn from your skills and techniques.  

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year from Sharon and myself representing Penhayle Bay.

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely picture that last one is, John. It shows your colour scheme too, with the buildings all in shades of light colours.

I'm looking closely at your lineside industries, as I may be needing something similar. I like how they don't take up much space, yet are entirely convincing and very attractive buildings. Such things don't happen by chance!  

Merry christmas and best wishes for 2017!

post-3088-0-25625000-1482594931_thumb.jpg

Colin and Rick: I'm pleased you have enjoyed (and learned-though Rick I don't think you have much to learn) your visits to Hintock (and my little part of Dorset (so well known to Rick) and I look forward to the further pleasure of your company on future occasions-along with all others.

And Mikkel too, you know much about this subject and because of that your remarks are so appreciated-as are all the likes of others. If you wish to use any of my ideas or techniques, such as they are, then please feel free to adopt them. Thus, for your delight and others I've added two images that I think will be both informative and enjoyed.

post-3088-0-03047900-1482595112_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Although I don't comment often I do follow you thread with great interest and I just wanted to pop-in and say Merry Christmas and keep up the inspirational modelling! I love coming back and seeing the quality of your work

Gary

• RMweb Premium

I haven't looked in on Hintock for a while, and I'm really impressed by the progress.  Port Bredy is looking super, should be a lovely station to both operate and look at.

I'm also very impressed by the mirror effect under the bridge at Hintock, you've given me some ideas there.  I've used something similar under a river bridge myself, but you can hardly see it.  Not tried it on the railway.  Yet!

All the best,

Dave.T

Gary, I'm glad you made yourself known and for those kind remarks. I shall endeavour to provide futher inspiration, more often that not it's just one thing logically leading to another.

Or pure happenstance!

Mikell commented on the shades of colour on the buildings that's largely because I employ so many different washes it's unlikely the same combinations will ever result. But, and this is the important thing, they are all of a piece.

Dave T:, yes, thanks for that,and for looking in. I had operation (simple but yet sophisticated) very much in mind in building Port Bredy-along with attractiveness-and I'm pleased with the way things are going.

That mirror, as you remark works very well, it's sometimes difficult to set up because of all the diverse angles and takes a lot of trial and effort but the results are, as can be seen, so very worthwhile.

My regards,

post-3088-0-36685900-1483232224_thumb.jpg

And, may it be a good one for us all.

Respect what is past and look forward with hope.

attachicon.gif Hintock New Years-1.jpg

And, may it be a good one for us all.

Respect what is past and look forward with hope.

John -more lovely photos which I very much enjoy, every time I look at them. 2017 will be an interesting year for those in USA and beyond as the world gets 'trumped'....

But then, we can all pop into our respective modelling dens and train rooms and merge into another world and enjoy the experience.

All the best for your 2017 modelling John.

regards Andy R

Well AndyM I never thought I would see Hintock under snow. Thank you. And every good wish to you and your family in 2017 and beyond.

Picturesque as Hintock is in that scene, and as much as I appreciate Andy your talents in creating it,  I don't think it will tempt me to stray from my vision of Hintock under a summer sun

My good wishes too for all those who have commented, as well as all others who "follow" my activities.

2017 looks like an interesting year (in many respects), and as far as the Hintock Branch is concerned the major event is the planned opening of the extension to Port Bredy.

Your kind words and encouragement I value. I look forward to interesting you further.

I shall look forward to the opening of Port Bredy and working out if I've been there.

Good Dorset summers are worth recreating, we don't get enough of them. You wouldn't want to recreate the weather at the moment - mainly rain and wind interspersed with fog. As you know, snow is rare in this part of Dorset  because we are protected by the Ridgeway and the proximity of the sea.

Happy new year.

Thanks Rick for those kind words not only to me but the fratenity who frequent this thread. It is appreciated.

Martyn touches on what is in store at PB,I'm happy to say it's coming along nicely with the track plan working out well in itself and performance as a whole so the total re-laying was justified; I'm enjoying developing the scenic possibilities and the operating potential is encouraging.

The weather however, is encouraging inside activities: it's been and is bitterly cold, we've had storms that have dumped snow and unlike their usual pattern of blowing through quickly then sunshine, they have lingered with overcast skies.  Mostly cloud as we are at 4'600' elevation. But it now being 2017 Spring must be on a distant horizon.

It's snowing, there are 2-3' drifts in my garden plus 12+" of snow already on the ground and a further 3"-7" forecast for today. As you have probably surmised we are in midst of a Winter Storm.

So in search of a little summer sunshine I popped into Hintock to see what was afoot. This was it. Looks interesting and as  I see one or two acquaintances in the group, I think I'll join them. It looks like a run down to Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-35267100-1483549174_thumb.jpg

And talking of Port Bredy it's an ideal day, for me in the real world, to do some work on it.

PS. I have a contractor who will clear a way through the snow to the road.

It's snowing, there are 2-3' drifts in my garden plus 12+" of snow already on the ground and a further 3"-7" forecast for today. As you have probably surmised we are in midst of a Winter Storm.

So in search of a little summer sunshine I popped into Hintock to see what was afoot. This was it. Looks interesting and as  I see one or two acquaintances in the group, I think I'll join them. It looks like a run down to Port Bredy.

And talking of Port Bredy it's an ideal day, for me in the real world, to do some work on it.

PS. I have a contractor who will clear a way through the snow to the road.

Thank for sharing the usual sunshine, as for the snow, no thanks, keep warm John :sungum:

A lovely bright photograph. Definitely something to brighten up those dull winter days. 2-3ft drifts in your garden , WOW! Something we can normally only dream about in the south. We coould use some of it over here for a long cold spell. Hot summers and mild wet winters recently don't always help kill off those unwanted bugs at this time of the year.

Hope you keep safe and warm John and I will be checking back for more Dorset sunshine. I promise no more snow pictures.

Mick, AndyM: it was kind of you to comment and am glad you (and others) liked that image. This time of the year we can do with every bit of sunshine there is. I too got pleasure in browsing my images to find it. And there are more where that came from.

Snowed most of the day but supposed to ease off overnight. Then after the storm, the sun. Outside there's just snow everywhere, life has still gone on but those who have no need to venture out-don't, me included. We get good weather forecasts for a rolling seven days ahead so one can, as far as possible, plan your activities. The house is warm, it's all of timber construction and an outside skin of 3/4" heavy duty plywood, plasterboard interior and the 9" between full of insulation as is the roof space. Warm in winter, cool in summer.

I collect the drifts as the house is open to the NW-where a lot of the bad weather comes from, and there's little between me but open country and a 8,000'+ mountain range about 12 miles distant. The cold winters certainly keep down down the bugs. There's snow everywhere and in the parking lots enormous mountains of the stuff.

I'll post another "sunshine" picture in a day or so. And BRW, making progress with PB and managed to lay a little grass/ vegetation. It does make a difference to the scene. Makes it come to life. Very encouraging. 

Mick, AndyM: it was kind of you to comment and am glad you (and others) liked that image. This time of the year we can do with every bit of sunshine there is. I too got pleasure in browsing my images to find it. And there are more where that came from.

Snowed most of the day but supposed to ease off overnight. Then after the storm, the sun. Outside there's just snow everywhere, life has still gone on but those who have no need to venture out-don't, me included. We get good weather forecasts for a rolling seven days ahead so one can, as far as possible, plan your activities. The house is warm, it's all of timber construction and an outside skin of 3/4" heavy duty plywood, plasterboard interior and the 9" between full of insulation as is the roof space. Warm in winter, cool in summer.

I collect the drifts as the house is open to the NW-where a lot of the bad weather comes from, and there's little between me but open country and a 8,000'+ mountain range about 12 miles distant. The cold winters certainly keep down down the bugs. There's snow everywhere and in the parking lots enormous mountains of the stuff.

I'll post another "sunshine" picture in a day or so. And BRW, making progress with PB and managed to lay a little grass/ vegetation. It does make a difference to the scene. Makes it come to life. Very encouraging. 

That sounds like a nice cosy home John.

Do you get more modelling time when you can't get out as much?

Another question, what is the purpose of the bin in front of the GW van in your last photo?

Mick, thanks for your interest. The house needs to be cosy. Today the high is 7F and there's a windchill of -23F, there's a bit of mist but we may see some sun later.

The bin is what was known as a "chipping bin". These in the days of PW gangs and everything done by hand. contained ballast for everyday packing and the like and were located every several hundred yards along the line or so set back of the cess. With PW maintenance today largely mechanized there is no need of them. And it appears too the cess is a thing today of the past. 

Yes, I  do get more time now I have a contractor to shift the snow otherwise that would take up a lot of it. My grandson came over yesterday to shift new, move snow and remove the 8'0 berm of compacted snow the snow plough leaves behind across the end of my driveway.. It took him all of two hours, and he's an energetic, hefty 20 year old. Also the chores still need to be done (my wife sadly died a while back) and I have other interests but one needs to get out otherwise cabin fever sets in. However, sometimes it's not prudent to venture outside if you don't absolutely have to.

And in case you're wondering I've looked out some more sunshine pictures and shall post them tomorrow.

on Edit: PS, just checked the weather forecast, currently -27F, -33C. I shan't be going out today.

Mick, thanks for your interest. The house needs to be cosy. Today the high is 7F and there's a windchill of -23F, there's a bit of mist but we may see some sun later.

The bin is what was known as a "chipping bin". These in the days of PW gangs and everything done by hand. contained ballast for everyday packing and the like and were located every several hundred yards along the line or so set back of the cess. With PW maintenance today largely mechanized there is no need of them. And it appears too the cess is a thing today of the past. 

Yes, I  do get more time now I have a contractor to shift the snow otherwise that would take up a lot of it. My grandson came over yesterday to shift new, move snow and remove the 8'0 berm of compacted snow the snow plough leaves behind across the end of my driveway.. It took him all of two hours, and he's an energetic, hefty 20 year old. Also the chores still need to be done (my wife sadly died a while back) and I have other interests but one needs to get out otherwise cabin fever sets in. However, sometimes it's not prudent to venture outside if you don't absolutely have to.

And in case you're wondering I've looked out some more sunshine pictures and shall post them tomorrow.

on Edit: PS, just checked the weather forecast, currently -27F, -33C. I shan't be going out today.

Thanks John, I did surmise that is probably what they were used for but they were something that I had not taken much notice of before.  Just shows how these little things all add to the realism of ones modelling.

In general I have to agree with you about the cess and tidiness of today's railway.  Long gone are the days of neatly 'manicured' embankments and pristine trackwork, even the heritage railways over here seem to suffer from unwanted lineside foliage, but that is probably more to do with not having sufficient volunteers whereas the national network is down to cost cutting and maximising profit over asthetics.

My goodness, those temperatures frighten me, thankfully we have the Gulf Stream looking after us. :scared:

Archived