Triang Lord Of The Isles

Just revisited your thread after seeing it launch all those months ago, and what an inspirational build you have had.  

Again, not my natural sort of prototype, but in a way that's better because I can look at your techniques without getting wrapped up emotionally in the detail, really learn and take away some good transferable ideas for my forthcoming baptism of fire and steam in the shape of J39 rehab and PlMPlNG D49s.

This is wonderful, yet again RMWeb at its best.  

Cheers Stefan  :good:

EDIT: to change the spelling of PlMPlNG so it could be read

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

Thanks CHARD!

It feels good that you find my modelling inspirational and I'm in total agreement; the variety (and quality) is what makes RMWeb great!

I look forward to your treatment of the J39 and D49.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan

I look forward to your next project as I still have my Saint to Atlantic to complete some time in the future, so I will be interested to see what you do to get the wheel arrangement as I have not given it any thought yet. My other problem will be replacing a full taper boiler with a half taper which I don;t think you have to do (I've not checked so will look later).

I think by the end of the year you will have all the locos I would like to have once I get the mods done, I wonder when that will be!!

I think I have said it before and if I have I'll say it again, I love this Dean Single conversion.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

This little masterpiece deserves more than my pitiful submission,Stefan.

All I can come up with is "Gobsmacked!!!!!"

Jonte

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This a fantastic conversion, Stefan. I have been away from this website for too long!

I grew up with Triang in the '60's and was always very happy with the running and haulage powers of that motor.

! also remember that either Humbrol or Airfix's own paint range included an "Indian" red that looked very good to me - a good red/brown - not too pink and not too brown! Airfix paints are no longer available and Humbrol dropped a lot of model railway related colours over the years. Bad mistake now, I think, now that Hornby own them!

Perhaps we should all lobby Hornby/Humbrol to reintroduce them. Admittedly, they have re-introduced some colours but the renge is hardly extensive!

• Like 1

Thanks Stefan, I admit that your 'builds have really inspired me to get going again!

As far as paints are concerned; I know that more recent ranges have be introduced but they are sooo expensive, compared to good old home grown Humbrol and now they are back to being made in the UK, after Hornby bought them! (Sorry! - that didn't mean to sound anti-continental! Just, hopefully, more control).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been reading this thread with great enthusiasm (even though I'm not into pre-grouping locos, these threads may have converted me) & I was tempted to make my own but the prices for a Tri-ang lord of the isles is too high for me. Is there any way of obtaining spares for the modern version?

• Like 1

Guest jonte

Please come back soon, Stephan.

We're all missing your good humour and excellent modelling skills.

Hope you're well,

Jonte

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been reading this thread with great enthusiasm (even though I'm not into pre-grouping locos, these threads may have converted me) & I was tempted to make my own but the prices for a Tri-ang lord of the isles is too high for me. Is there any way of obtaining spares for the modern version?

Thanks!

I also like to spend as little money as possible and Ebay would be your best bet for parts. Most things turn up, sooner or later.

Regards,

Stefan

Edited by knobhead

How was the lining done on this loco ? Did you use a bow pen, lining pen or transfers ?

How did you remove the molded handrails ? Did you just cut them off with a scalpel ?

How was the lining done on this loco ? Did you use a bow pen, lining pen or transfers ?

How did you remove the molded handrails ? Did you just cut them off with a scalpel ?

Hi Brian,

I used Modelmaster waterslide transfers for the lining. Yes a scalpel was used (carefully)

Regards,

Stefan

Why does the quote show up twice? I didn't push the multi quote button and when I try to edit and remove one quote it doesn't work............

Edited by knobhead

Who makes suitable leaf springs for this loco ? Most of the old LOTI's are missing their leaf springs and they are not available as spares.

I cheated and used the leaf springs from the Dapol City of Truro kit. It looks fine if you're not to picky (like me)

Regards,

Stefan

I cheated and used the leaf springs from the Dapol City of Truro kit. It looks fine if you're not to picky (like me)

Regards,

Stefan

I see that Dart Castings do a 9 leaf wagon spring #2284. I was thinking that they might suffice. Any opinions on this ?

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2284.php

Edited by brian777999