End of a hard afternoon's spraying, 44 009 Snowdon taking shape. Pete Harvey's excellent etched grilles for 44009/010 sprayed up very well. Resprayed the Bachmann blue and a touch of roof grime weathering, decals and touch ups to the headcode end tomorrow but I'm pleased with it. Quick iPad photo, I'll get the SLR out to get better pics when finished.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

Does the other end have the headcode box Neil?

The grilles transform the old peak Neil. The 44's always seemed ancient and special somehow.

Pete's etches are great; just been working on a blue Tinsley 37 with etched steps and headcode; makes a big difference over standard Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes Phil, nose and cab side handrails still to do on the centre box end. Trying to take time and care on them as the cab end rails are tiny and need to be tiny holes drilled perfectly. I'd also noticed an error with Pete's etch, the smallest grille has 3 horizontal slats etched, there should only be two, but I won't tell anyone when I show them the model. Will still need to respray the headcode box end to get a better match of the warning panel yellow, railmatch acrylic looks too pale, even when adding a splash of red to the mix before airbrushing.

My two year old Iwata has really had some road testing the last couple of weeks.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress to date on 44009

Still a fair bit of work to do, and helpful here (for me at least) to list what needs doing

(1) respray headcode end in a more realistic warning panel yellow, the Bachmann end shown here is perhaps too much of an orange shade but the mismatched ends look odd. I'll expose the other end when I'm happier with it ;)

(2) wire handrails and cabside handrails need adding and or modification

(3) will need to "spot weld" certain parts of the grilles which have become slightly detached during the extensive handling last weekend during painting

(4) weather down/remove some yellow that strayed onto the bodyside

(5) add data panels, electrification flashes and Derby works plates

(6) more varnish to disguise the carrier film on the numerals.

(7) weather chassis, bufferbeams were repainted black, although 44009 was dolled up for a railtour in 1977 and given red bufferbeams. I wanted a less glamorous pose for my model

8. Give consideration to other details, for example the naff plastic fan may go, and at the very least lifting brackets will be fitted.

9. Engine room work, the grilles are so good the bland grey Bachmann mazak block is in full view. Does anyone make Sulzer 12LDA28-A and associated electrical kit models :) they would need to be modelled in "low relief).

Overall a pleasing project during which I've certainly made mistakes but have learnt a lot. If I was starting again I'd transplant the entire class 46 cab instead of just the nose section. It was a pig to fill and get right, plus the yellow ends would be the same shade.

post-6925-0-67514700-1454154018_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A small coffee break whilst working at home, just enough time to post yesterday's little project.

In the summer of 1974 we were delighted whilst sitting on the embankments East of Bristol Parkway to see a peak arrive hauling what we thought were three class 08s. We assumed this to be a "reallocation train" as all had recently been moved from the LMR to the WR, one going to St Blazey, another to Laira, and my first sighting of a class 09, 09024 still in green on its way to Bath road.

I'd picked up two of the excellent Hornby 08s last year, and one became the candidate for this mini-conversion. The extra cabinet on the LHS of the 09 was built from styrene sheet and fixed in place. I had to bisect a length of 0.010" microstrip for the hinges, and still to add some archers rivets, a bit of filler and remove the swarf from existing grilles where I'd filed the lower grille set away.

The Hornby model is really excellent and does require minimal work to get right. Just hope the new cabinet takes paint well.

post-6925-0-51674600-1454327477_thumb.jpeg

Neil

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some project updates with pictures to follow following weekend spraying/detailing over the last two weeks

Class 09 09 024 - sprayed new cabinet and blended green, still touches needed to door hinges and blue backed TOPS panels ordered from railtec transfers.

Class 13 13 002 - sprayed RT models bits green/yellow, coupling rods now all yellow. Need to add buffers/handrails, decals and to weather to blend down the yellow mismatch to the wasp stripes. Then to hardwire the twin Bachy 08s with DCC chips and test run.

Class 44 D6 Whernside - a new project - full yellow ends and economy green livery. Ends sprayed and rubbing off bodyside banding (with thumbnail!).

Class 44 44 009 Snowdon - Resprayed headcode end a much more pleasing yellow. Lamp irons and hand rails needed still.

Class 52 D1065 Western Consort - still more filler added to valance area, but tweaks being made to fit to the Dapol chassis, nearly done.

Large boilered SDJR 7F - large MR smokebox door ordered from 247 developments - more surgery needed.

Golden arrow Decrostied 9F - now in primer but needing extra pipework and better clack valves.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some recent transits through the workbench, awaiting a dental appointment later this morning so quick photo.

First is a Hornby Hawksworth BG which will be resprayed in blue. Gangways and rain strips pared off to leave small strips above the doors as prototypical for the now preserved W333, which I saw at Swindon works in May 1979. I declined to strip the factory paint, intending to lose the blood/custard joint line with T-cut and a smear of filler - but it's still visible! Never mind, live and learn. I have two further models to do and stripping will be the way there.

Behind that is a DC kits Cravens parcels unit, which I've yet to decide the powering options. I've managed to source a replica power bogie, but that is saved for either a 120 or 119 kit I will start soon.

In the background is the first of my Resprayed Dapol blue 22s, which will become D6327. Unfortunately I made the mistake of using Maskol to mask the glazing and it reacted with some of them, awaiting replacements from DCC supplies who are currently out of stock. Another two blue 22s to do, one may donate it's glazing units.

post-6925-0-30369700-1457000689_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick update - eventually sprayed the yellow noses on one of my green new tooling Bachmann 40s, part of the backlog of GFYE conversions. These noses are a delight to work on as they readily detach and can be worked on off model. I drilled out the horn grilles and fitted Shawplan replacements, sprayed whilst still on the etch, ensuring no excessive paint build up and getting better angles with the airbrush. The 40 is awaiting renumbering and new decals - a large number of TOPS green candidates to choose from will be either 40 171/180 or 199 although I think from photos 199 had lost its totem. Will change the headcodes to Severn tunnel bound/ departed freights to work up the Newport-Hereford route.

The Hawksworth BG got three coats of BR blue, and now awaiting the roof grey to be done, and the Cravens class 129 now has yellow ends but I forgot to add rainstrips absent from the DC kits model.

post-6925-0-19659200-1457382917_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Cracking livery Neil!

Used to enjoy seeing 40's on the N&W route at Cheney Longville just north of Craven Arms - Phil's idea of heaven I think, casting a fly for trout on the River Onny to the accompaniment of passing rail traffic...

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some recent transits through the workbench, awaiting a dental appointment later this morning so quick photo.

First is a Hornby Hawksworth BG which will be resprayed in blue. Gangways and rain strips pared off to leave small strips above the doors as prototypical for the now preserved W333, which I saw at Swindon works in May 1979. I declined to strip the factory paint, intending to lose the blood/custard joint line with T-cut and a smear of filler - but it's still visible! Never mind, live and learn. I have two further models to do and stripping will be the way there.

Behind that is a DC kits Cravens parcels unit, which I've yet to decide the powering options. I've managed to source a replica power bogie, but that is saved for either a 120 or 119 kit I will start soon.

In the background is the first of my Resprayed Dapol blue 22s, which will become D6327. Unfortunately I made the mistake of using Maskol to mask the glazing and it reacted with some of them, awaiting replacements from DCC supplies who are currently out of stock. Another two blue 22s to do, one may donate it's glazing units.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

I remember W333W as well

• RMweb Gold

Gardening and fence panel repair has put pay to my weekend modelling activities the past two weekends, but gradually gearing up to attack my wagon kit stockpile. I want to introduce a small rake of Herrings and mix my RTR dogfish wagons with a few catfish, plus will add a whale to my sealion rake.

I am planning a small spoil tip on part of my layout as a representation of the area West of Stoke Gifford in the 1970s hyperactive with the 1975 PW workings on the HST upgrade from Westerleigh to Wootton Bassett. I recently acquired this Colin Ashby kit for the GWR P17/23 ballast wagons that may well have been active there- I can certainly remember and have photographic records of Grampus wagons and a photo of at least one train there appears to include a Tunny.

Part of the enjoyment I find from the hobby is researching 1950s-1970s rolling stock, especially the huge amount of ancient stock still in service in the 70s. This kit will be started on soon and will probably become a P23 model, but with added door stops as seen in the excellent David Larkin book on civil engineers wagons, opened to the relevant pages. A bit of an interlude from my loco-centric work so far this year, so Gulf red or black for 1973/5?

post-6925-0-97426000-1458588644_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In the left hand photo in the Larkins book in my post the Tunny is apparently still in gulf red in 1968, and was painted in (taken from the legend) "post 1959 gulf red livery". P17 DW80817 is thus a candidate too as I'd quite like a vehicle in gulf red, all my engineering stock to date is either black or olive drab.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

So, do you reckon, the 'Gulf red' that e.g. this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bachmann+33-854a&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=msivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5_PHP1tPLAhUHORQKHfJoDm0Q_AUICSgD&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=CI3T9vX6FaI6IM%3A

Is painted in is viable for the early 70's?

Rgds,

Edit, or is it a completely 'different' Gulf red?

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Apparently very difficult to replicate with very few prototype photos, but I think the Bachmann version is a good attempt. Thread discussing this short lived livery here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28526-br-engineers-gulf-red/

Heljan have done a dogfish in golf red in one of their triple packs.

For early 1970s it would be heavily weathered as per the Paul Barlett photos in the thread above, but the fotopic links no longer work, you'd have to find them on his Zenfolio site.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Some steady progress with the large boiler SDJR 7F. The 19mm MR pattern smokebox door arrived from 247 developments a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately it was approximately 1.5mm too small in diameter. After extensive searching I've been unable to find a suitable white metal casting, so the only alternative is to build one myself. Having gone to all the trouble of deciding that the face of the Golden Arrow casting was let down by the smokebox door, I was not prepared to compromise with a slightly bigger but still too small door. So an hour of eBay searching I think I've come up with a suitable solution. I bought a 20.5mm dish type automotive core plug (the ones that pop out if the engine block freezes), and filed it carefully to reduce its thickness and to reduce the dishing a bit. The photo shows the crudely filed dish, still more work to do with more filing and smoothing with wet and dry but getting there. The door surround will be a 22.5mm thin polypropylene washer that I've primed in halfords red oxide primer to check it takes paint OK. With a large file I then removed the moulded smokebox door from the Golden Arrow boiler, and intend to fit it all together this weekend. The strap hinges, boiler surround brackets, and numberplate will then made with microstrip, and will need a lot of patience. Hopefully one of my drills will be sturdy enough to put handrail knobs into the stainless steel.

The working prototype photo I'm using is from the excellent Mike Morant Collection

http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/SDJR/i-mbDjGgJ/A

post-6925-0-10587000-1458907486_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been quiet ... Grant writing a massive undertaking, due to submit on 1st June, a couple of days more work then three months effort at the mercy of peer review, fingers crossed!

I've been getting some down time relief by trying to improve the diversity of my parcels and freight stock.

In the foreground is a Ian Kirk Monster - suitably bedecked in BR blue, still some work to do on the under frame, roof to be fixed on, wheels and decals. Behind is a repainted Hawksworth brake van, to become W333, rainstrips pared back and again in blue.

3rd is a bashed about LMS/BR Coke wagon, from a three aitch kit, bought from eBay and repaired (only £3!) I couldn't wait for the Hornby release.

At the back of the group is a DC kits class 129 Cravens parcel car. The main painting done, just some retouching due to masking tape bleed.

The large boiler 7F has been almost completed, just decals and weathering before she sees the light of day on here. I'm quite pleased with her - certainly looks a beast alongside her slimmer sisters.

Neil

post-6925-0-45115800-1464555310_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few months passed since the last update. A quick coffee break from book writing and a few quick iPad photos of some recent projects I've been doing whilst on leave.

First is a pair of Genesis brake tenders. Although I have one of the green Hornby magazine versions (short round), here are the Genesis long round (1/556) and short round (1/557) versions both will receive LMS bogies, the 1/556 is sat on a set of Bachmann RTRs. I've introduced rivets (archers), some of which detached during handling, so a bit more tweaking needed, including the addition of grab rails and lamp irons. The Genesis brake tenders have had mixed reviews, but I found that with patience they went together OK after a little filing and filling. I hope to do better SLR shots as the projects progress a bit more.

post-6925-0-32130500-1471943245_thumb.jpeg

Next is a Hornby Hymek upgrade. I'm sure you will ask why when Heljan has such an excellent model. Well this particular bodyshell was one of my first models, at the tender age of 13 I received it for my birthday in 1974, and could not part with it. I snapped up a spare Heljan chassis a few years ago, and it fits like a glove.

The modifications include surgery on the window surrounds, filing to a more acceptable thickness, and enlarging the windows to accept Shawplan laserglaze. Moulded handrails have gone, and replaced with Nickel silver - will be removed for painting. I've reprofiled the roof with milliput (Hornby cab roof is too flat), and the dominant scavenger fan will be replaced with a Shawplan and skewed off centre as per prototype. New marker lights, absent from the Hornby model are under construction and the surrounds were made from 2.4mm plastic tube. What will be the number? Well I toyed with the original Hornby D7063, but that would need headboard clips, but D7029 it will be in 1974 condition. Not the first Hymek I ever saw, but the first one to go in my spotting notebook in July 1974.

Again I will get better depth of field with my SLR, including before/after shots and comparison to the Heljan version.

post-6925-0-92996400-1471943258_thumb.jpeg

Neil

• Like 5