Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

You should see the KFA which will be the MOD supply when I can get containers done ;) I have a fiddleyard extension that's not fitted at present which means I can run longer modern trains easily, they do require a double shunt to run round but that fits with my story for the line and creates more interest to operate.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Polybulks don't count? ;)

I should think so soon Dave, there's supposed to be a container bearing O2's ;) the M7 with atick and Beattie have been running too just not caught by the camera. The LT theme is likely to continue for a few days first :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An afternoon of decoder fitting but a bit random because I couldn't get any 21pin ones! The Wessex 153, LNER J15, (it's going to run with the Metropolitans), and the Blackmotor. The 700 class got one as a temp measure until I can get a sound one. Odd how the J15 seems to be designed with sound in mind but the 700 is anything but.
The 153 performed very erratically as though it had dodgy contacts, checked those and nothing dirty. Eventually tracked it down to the BEMF, switched it off and vastl improvement though I also had to add a lot of acceleration and deceleration as slow speed was still a bit elusive.

post-6968-0-06512000-1443952762.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Back to sensible work on the layout. The fiddleyard extension was just screwed on for the show but I'd always intended hinging it so it will fold away quickly. It saves it sticking out into the hall at home when not in use and doesn't require any extra space in the cabinet. I couldn't find suitably narrow hinges so I went as close as I could and will pack inside with strip wood to save sharp edges. Once the glue sets I'll add the final screws too.
Photo one shows it in place.
post-6968-0-52528500-1444668655.jpg

Photo 2 shows it temporarily folded. I'll add a stop here so it doesn't squash stock.
post-6968-0-15227000-1444668680.jpg

And I need a drop in safety barrier here! ;)
post-6968-0-61605600-1444668701.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Having put decoders in the mpv and DRS 37 I now have enough stock ready to run the layout as modern style. The only remaining ones needed are the 159 and 170 if I exhibit it like this but I have the two FGW units in the meantime ;)

post-6968-0-61219600-1444650483.jpg

• Like 9

Staple a piece of cloth between the fixed and hinged parts, so when folded over the cloth is taut across the gap. No forgetting the barrier then! It will of course hang loose when folded out, but underneath and out-of-sight. 

The MPV has run past the office a few times in the last couple of days. 

Edited by mjcampbell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Staple a piece of cloth between the fixed and hinged parts, so when folded over the cloth is taut across the gap. No forgetting the barrier then! It will of course hang loose when folded out, but underneath and out-of-sight.

Now that is a simple and brilliant idea :)

Thanks

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm, well started wiring up the 159 following a guide from a mag. No problem there, all makes sense so I test the connections, all checks out.

Turn on sprog and test lights in the trailer and the Reds work but the headlight doesn't. So I test the voltage thinking maybe a broken wire. Reds 2v whites 10v!!!! Now I'd reused the Bachmann resistors and this one is dead now, straight through 10v both sides of it and obviously blown the LEDs! Oh well I suppose it's impetus to change them to proper white ones. Never had a resistor die before and I'd been gentle with the iron so it must be a freak failure. Annoying as its all so fiddly I've got to re-wire it all again once I find some suitable LEDs.

Update:

12v 2mm tower LEDs found and trimmed down in length. Modified one on the right and original on the left, (and it works!)

post-6968-0-62250900-1446019125_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Well after the dcc mini disaster I decided to try and fix something so I looked a the couplings that were the wrong height. Usually I drill a hole in the kadee and the NEM pocket and then put a brass bolt through to leave the pocket flexible. I'd been testing with one where I put the bolt through into the chassis and the flex appears to make little difference so I'm trying a few with fixed pockets as it's much quicker to do and less fiddly.

All I did was find some suitable thickness plastic and chop it into small rectangles. I lever out the NEM pocket using a blade underneath and turn it over so it still registers in the old mount, you need to turn it over as it is tapered on the original top and doesn't lock into the pocket to help with the bond. This was secured with some superglue and trials are under way ;)

post-6968-0-51338700-1445063692_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

While everyone else is going Back to the Future, Lulworth is Going Forward to the Past ;)

An O2 lurks in the goods yard as the M7 prepares to leave.

post-6968-0-62186300-1445727982_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

None until the one in 2018 at present as there are big changes to our roster planned that have got dragged out by multiple problems so I can't risk booking shows then finding they all fall on work weekends. As I'm helping Ian with Tidworth too I'll leave it until I know what's happening before contacting those who've asked or I know.

Will give me time to do the point rodding and weather the stock too ;)

• 3 weeks later...