Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

You wouldn't be awed if you looked at it closely ;) my woodwork is theatre style, serviceable and looks ok from the outside but the hidden bits are more basic.

Well it quite clearly does the job and looks the part! And in light of my abilities with a saw anything is impressive!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How good are ya at (wall) paper-hangin' ?

I paint walls . . . Enough said.

I suppose you can't do the same as brick-paper, and wet it first so it dries taut ??

I've seen a method floating it on with a spray of water and washing up liquid and you squeegee it out. But I'm not confident I can seal the mdf boards for it well enough so I'm going for very slow with a brush and spatula ;)

I considered having it printed direct on plastic foam board so it was light but I don't know how well that would stand up to knocks as people reach over operating.

• RMweb Gold

Marathon decoder fitting session tonight. I got the Heljan railbus apart then realised I didn't have a 21pin decoder left so that's still in pieces. What a silly design though to have to pull out the doors that are in a recess, impossible not to mark the step.

Anyway more success and fitted standard decoders to the Q1 and std4 tank before moving onto the next sound decoder.

The Beattie with a Zimo and sugar cube that I was told would fit in the smokebox, well they did after two hours of carefully readjusting wires and trying various combinations that either stopped the body sitting fully down or jammed the flywheel! Gawd I thought the M7 was tight!!!!

Well it's done though I can't say the sound file is the best I've got as the chuffs are a little clipped but it'll do for now ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Marathon decoder fitting session tonight. I got the Heljan railbus apart then realised I didn't have a 21pin decoder left so that's still in pieces. What a silly design though to have to pull out the doors that are in a recess, impossible not to mark the step.

Anyway more success and fitted standard decoders to the Q1 and std4 tank before moving onto the next sound decoder.

The Beattie with a Zimo and sugar cube that I was told would fit in the smokebox, well they did after two hours of carefully readjusting wires and trying various combinations that either stopped the body sitting fully down or jammed the flywheel! Gawd I thought the M7 was tight!!!!

Well it's done though I can't say the sound file is the best I've got as the chuffs are a little clipped but it'll do for now ;)

Morning Paul, have you had a look at Ray, (Tender) Camel Quay, he fitted a sound into his Beattie and fully described it on his CQ thread, it was running at Stafford.

• RMweb Gold

Yep that's why I believed it would fit but blimey it's tight! I started insulating everything with heatshrink and it ate up too much space as the decoder was the same length as the space. I finally managed to get it at a slight angle so it partially sits into the smokebox door and them there was enough room for the wires :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of a lull due to work but the boss being away working means Lulworth has snuck into the living room so I can get at both sides. Track down and points fettled with hinges on the tiebar to hopefully make everything reliable. Test fitting the platform tonight.

post-6968-0-36017700-1425754712.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

As there seems worry over on Ians thread ;) about if I'll be finished here's a very grainy photo taken in the evening last week. Backscenes going on later this week once I've painted the track, the yard is now in and the platform and raised approach is too. Polystyrene snowstorm next week. ;)

post-6968-0-49017100-1425905215.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Painting track and ballasting then tidying up the wiring next

Lulworth Castle just peeking out above the trees to the right of the Stn building.

post-6968-0-08585300-1426627975.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Terraforming ;) knew I kept the big pile of blue foam scraps for something. Couldn't find the white crumbly stuff at any of the 3 local DIY stores.

post-6968-0-71541400-1426840517_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It has advantages and disadvantages Richard, I'll be attacking it with the hot wire that's pretty evil smelling so need the fan on plus the windows open. After the final sanding the dust is really fine so you need the vacuum handy ;)

It is nice and solid though for planting trees.

• Like 1

That sort of blue foam I highly recommend.  I used the same on my layout and found it very easy to shape and cut.  

What I did so as to have good access to cut it the way I wanted was to glue all the pieces together, but not to the base board.  Then I traced the outlines of my land-form on the foam, shaped them, and then glued the finished land-forms to the board.

Is that what you are doing in general? :)

Cheers, 

William

• RMweb Gold

The lower pieces are glued down but the big hill that needs more work is loose so I can carve it easily off the layout. It would be a bit expensive to use this exclusively but I have a large box of bits left over from other projects. I use it for buildings in G scale and carving display stands for the other half's craft display. Off to get some aluminium to form the curved backscene section tomorrow.

• Like 2