Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Sanded and painted with a gloopy plaster, pva and paint mix, it looks brown in reality.

post-6968-0-32918900-1426893810.jpg

M7 clearance test

post-6968-0-85514000-1426893843.jpg

You can see the little bit of the clay & military siding at the front too. It will disappear into the backscene too but hopefully suggests a different line to the main.

post-6968-0-15644100-1426893968.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, bit more plastering to do on the forecourt tonight then a lull while I wait for a bit more ballast from Greenscene. Should be here mid week so hoping to ballast and get some grass down by the end of next week. Still got the curvy backscene to do for the fiddleyard so going to play with rolling the aluminium too as the formers are ready and waiting.. Might use any spare time to start weathering some stock.

• RMweb Gold

I had an idea how to squeeze a little more room in the yard for trains. I'd originally intended to use cassettes but then there'd be a lot of sliding around and potential to drop them, plus it would be difficult to use at home where it has to go against the wall in the spare room. So I decided to use a 3 way point so there's minimal handling, locos only, but it eats up nearly a foot.

So I decided to have a drop down mini extension. This can be folded up for transport or when not in use but left set up at home. Once folded down it will stick out a foot into the hall at home but that's fine during a running session. Once folded up it acts as an end stop too. The hinge is staggered so it stays within the overall 900mm length of the board.

post-6968-0-95791400-1426938242_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It still leaves nearly 2 foot and it should be fairly strong so I'm not worried as the boss is used to walking round her craft stuff too ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

This weeks work, dummy catch point is in for the yard, base grit layers in for the yard and station forecourt plus the base grass layer is down ready for adding the static grass.
post-6968-0-96655900-1427982630.jpg

post-6968-0-39273500-1427408065.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It's deliberately tight as is serves Tyneham pit and Lulworth Camp, see the map below, also on page 1.

The pit and camp will only see short trains of 4-6 4 wheel wagons due to the tight radius and gradient so some trains will be split and half left in the yard. In its modern guise Tyneham siding will take a loco and two bogie wagons.

I didn't want the industry to be right in front of the FY as I might expand it and model the pit on another board one day.

post-6968-0-99314000-1427410398.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

No, troops are dropped at the station and marched to the camp though I suspect a fair few would hitch rides in the brake van ;)

Having it as a through station would mean a real steep climb so the reversing makes sense and was actually common at a couple of other local exchange sidings. Wools original branch to Bovington, Dinton and Dean Hill all required shunting to access the exchange of stock. The military loco will handle all traffic to the camp and the BR locos just serve Tyneham Works. There's a token staff for that bit ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This weeks work, dummy catch point is in for the yard, base grit layers in for the yard and station forecourt plus the base grass layer is down ready for adding the static grass

Looking good Paul, coming together nicely. Could you bring the static grass Monday night for a sprinkling while you're here?

• RMweb Gold

At last the rest of the ballast arrived :) RM have obviously had fun transporting Greenscenes ballast around for a week by the dates on it. I now have a nice big pot so any additional boards and modules will match.
The kitchen proves why all the work tops need to be wipe clean ;)

post-6968-0-43501700-1427982556.jpg

Note the natty minimalist trees, do I leave them in and say it's an art installation?

post-6968-0-84370900-1427982560.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Point rodding next ;)

Best of luck with that it drove me mad! Looking top notch mate and I think you may have leapt ahead. I must find time to get on with it after this weekend, only two weeks now you know! :O

Edited by Temeraire

• RMweb Gold

Best of luck with that it drove me mad! Looking top notch mate and I think you may have leapt ahead. I must find time to get on with it after this weekend, only two weeks now you know! :O

Bring it on! :) got a week off from next Friday too, need to do the tram layout too mind ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yep, looks good Paul, if you need any advice with the signalling let me know! :jester:

Thanks mate, I'll send you a track diagram. Can you advise on the best coffee outlet to model too? :jester: Edited by PaulRhB