Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

From what i read in the vintage carriage trust newsletters, the Met dreadnought will be staying there for a fair bit longer, a good few months, mainly because they're running out of space!

But theres a big met themed gala there on first weekend of august. During that time the Vale of Aylesbury model engineering society will be running trains for the public as well as a display of Met models in many scales, some running on the miniature railway there as well

• RMweb Premium

From what i read in the vintage carriage trust newsletters, the Met dreadnought will be staying there for a fair bit longer, a good few months, mainly because they're running out of space!

But theres a big met themed gala there on first weekend of august. During that time the Vale of Aylesbury model engineering society will be running trains for the public as well as a display of Met models in many scales, some running on the miniature railway there as well

In August they will be running their own Met 150 event. They will have the Dreadnought and the Jubilee coach in service.

For anyone heading out next Sunday, it seems the timings have changed (now reversing at Edgware Road agan instead of Baker St).

Kensington (Olympia) dep 18 19
Gloucester Road (pfm. 3) arr 18 25½ Dep 18 26 (train reverses at Gloucester Road)
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 18 55½

Moorgate Dep 19 15½
Edgware Road (pfm 3) arr 19 30½

Edgware Road Dep 19 35
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 19 51½

Moorgate Dep 20 25½
Edgware Road (pfm 3) arr 20 40½

Edgware Road Dep 20 45
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 21 01½

Moorgate Dep 21 35½
Edgware Road (pfm 3) arr 21 50½

Edgware Road Dep 21 55
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 22 11½

Moorgate Dep 22 35½
Earl’s Court (pfm. 4) arr 23 03½
Dep 23 05½

Chris

Edited by Christopher125

A night to remember....  Having missed out on last weekend's runs (including the daylight one!) due to being otherwise engaged at St Albans show, I wasn't going to miss the second one in a hurry!

Here are a selection of images from the evening.  If it's worth my loading those of Sarah Siddons up as well, then I'll do so.

Passing Barbican on run #1 with the snow falling.

post-6712-0-21558400-1358732956_thumb.jpg

Third run through Baker Street.  The second run had a C stock in the way here, so I stayed for the next one.

post-6712-0-12895800-1358733030_thumb.jpg

Fourth and final run at Farringdon.  The lighting conditions were the best all night and there weren't many out either by this time.  I think the weather might have had something to do with it....

post-6712-0-25722600-1358733142_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 15

If it's worth my loading those of Sarah Siddons up as well, then I'll do so.

Yes please!  Excellent pics, wish I could have been there.  With any luck there may be a DVD in the offing?

I'm not sure about a DVD, though I did see a few film crews around various places last night, so I'd hope so!

Anyway, a couple of pics of Sarah below... :)

My joint favourite of the evening. Owing to points freezing at the east end of Edgware Road, the first run went all the way through to Gloucester Road for reversal. Things settled down later after they'd thawed!

post-6712-0-02041700-1358765819_thumb.jpg

After a super-quick turn-round on the second run, SS returns through Baker Street.

post-6712-0-76427000-1358765784_thumb.jpg

There is a third image, but a C stock managed to help lose the major part of the Ashburys for me at Great Portland Street. Happens!

Cheers,

• Like 5

I imagined the platforms would be bursting at the seams and no decent shots to be had, so I didn't go. Really annoyed that I didn't, now!

I did wonder if it might be more crowded but i thought it was worth going for the atmosphere alone, seeing a steam hauled passenger train on the Inner Circle is an experience which may never be repeated.

Chris

Edited by Christopher125

well i'm glad i chose last weekend to watch it, simply because of the weather, but now rather gutted i missed out on this run simply because of the free platforms! But looks superb here, always room for pictures of sarah though!

Had avery fun trip back from alexandra palace last night at about 6pm, upto warwickshire, so dread to think what it would have been lik if we had stayed and gone back later!

but thanks for posting the pictures, superb, better than all my shots!

Mark

• Like 1

Ok, my contribution to the videofest that is going on, colletion of clips from both weekends, more for atmosphere than quality of photographs and videos. Not my proudest production, but caght between recording it and enjoying being there!

• Like 3

I imagined the platforms would be bursting at the seams and no decent shots to be had, so I didn't go. Really annoyed that I didn't, now!

I have to admit that I thought it was going to be exactly the same as what I'd seen from the previous weekend. As the evening wore on, it became increasingly fluid and easier to get "that shot". Farringdon being a good case in point!

Here's to the May runs on the Met mainline :)

Tim,

I must have been standing almost next to you at Barbican station.

Looking at your photo, and the one I took on my mobile phone, I have got most of the same people in almost the same positions!

• RMweb Premium

A number of superb images above - thank you all.  

The number of people watching was smaller than I would have expected even having regard to the time of day, day of the week and weather.  Compared with the number who were at Farringdon for the "Farewell to Steam" on the underground and who then made their way to Neasden open day in almost-new C-stock to witness what was expected to be the final operation of the ex-GWR panniers (plus the opportunity to see all three then surviving Met electric locos) this event was remarkably quiet.

On the other hand take account of the fact that these trips are multiple runs and some people may have been satisfied to see one trip whereas the "Farewell" event had everyone crammed into their chosen spot (Farrington in my case) for just one brief moment as a single train passed by.

Details of the May runs have appeared on the LT Museum website. http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/vehicles-on-the-move

Art Deco Special

Date: Sunday 19 May
Our beautiful Art Deco special – the 1938 Tube stock train, and Sarah Siddons – our 1920s electric locomotives will make journeys to Metro-land as part of the Rickmansworth festival.
Tickets: up to £20

Steam back on the Met

Date: Saturday 25 to Monday 27 May
Experience the golden age of steam with the return of the newly restored Metropolitan Steam Locomotive No. 1 to the Metropolitan line and experience first-hand what riding a steam train is really like!
Tickets: up to £40

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1