Parrot Hall - 80/90?s 25kv NW suburban in OO.

kevpeo

Indeed I am Bif! The plan is to scratchbuilt arms etc with Sommerfieldt contact wires and insulators. The same combo as Coppell in fact. They have proved their worth on there, as I have not had to repair a single broken dropper on the Friday set ups of a show. Unlike Boldon and Oberfriedhof in days gone by! Kev.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A day off today so I’m able to take some photo's of progress. First up the last portal is soldered up -

post-8271-0-52508600-1438852109_thumb.jpg

As you can see this has an arm on the back for the yard behind.  I could have gone all the way to another leg, which I have enough etches for, and would have been stronger, but I decided to go for variety instead!  And here is a view of all three -

post-8271-0-39080800-1438852124_thumb.jpg

While sorting through my O/H 'bits box' I also found this -

post-8271-0-86781200-1438852137_thumb.jpg

Obviously built for Coppell and never used, it will fit in nicely here on the yard exit. So that just leaves a twin arm mast to construct, plus all the arms on the portals to do. Which brings me to this -

post-8271-0-49181200-1438852149_thumb.jpg

A rip off of the plastic Sommerfield jig, but being made of plywood means you can solder with it in place, which is a useful improvement! The jig fits between the rails and the narrow portion at the top is the width of the 'stagger' in the wires. I had to make a new one as I have 'mislaid' the slightly singed original! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 15

Having mentioned wire staggers an interesting thing that an OHLE designer told me once while exhibiting Outon Road was that on curves the wire is held full stagger at the masts and must only go as far a centre pantograph at the middle of the wire span. This is to stop the pantograph de-wiring at the midpoint due to the pantograph pressure pushing the wire sideways off the edge of it as there is no mast to support the wire at this point on a curve as it is at full opposite stagger on the straight. I had allowed stagger both ways so was not quite correct but as my pans were very light touch it had no side effects. Worth noting though I thought.

• Thanks 1

The portals are looking great there Kev but one question, Would there be a limit to the length of Gallow arm before needing the vetical support?

I'm not trying to be critical of your excelent work, it's just that that arm looks a bit long to me.

I do understand your reason to create variation though.

Carl

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean Carl.  I thought about it too, but I figured it was a lot less than half a four track portal, so it should be OK. Of course I'll be proved wrong shortly no doubt!  As for yesterday, I got a little more done -

post-8271-0-30324800-1438970935_thumb.jpg

The first of the registration arms are done. I made up a simple jig of wood and track pins to try and bend them up all the same. The vertical post is .7mm and the arms themselves are .4mm. Not a totally faithful recreation, ala JSW, more of a simplification. And here is a cruel close up -

post-8271-0-55322700-1438970947_thumb.jpg

Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 12

Very nice. The hangers look very good to me.

I'm taking notes for when I make a start on the OLE on the new Preston club layout.

Have you been booked for the Barrow show yet? A dead line is quit good for driving motivation.

If Les (Preston Exhibition manager) is at the club tonight I'll give him the heads up for booking Parrot Hall for a near future Preston show.

Carl

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ian can get stuffed Carl, it'll be ready when its ready!  After a poor month for progress, due to family hol's and manic work, I finally picked up the soldering iron again -

post-8271-0-14701500-1442245784_thumb.jpg

A milestone, as this is the last 'public visible' mast. The other portals also now 'bristle' with insulators and droppers -

post-8271-0-64715100-1442245914_thumb.jpg

All are now ready for a good wash and then painting. Time to finish the track details and weathering, so I can crack on with the platforms. Kev.

• Like 14

Hi Kev,

I'm really enjoying watching your work on Parrot Hall, some excellent modelling skills.  Having built many of the NBrass portals in N gauge I can appreciate and relate to the work you've done on extending them..

Perhaps I've missed it before (forgive me if I have) but what are you using for the OLE insulators?

Won't be long before your 81 is in the shots ;)

Please keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Lee

• Thanks 1

I picked up a good tip for insulators from Andi Dell; self-wind them using single core wire around a thicker piece of stiff wire the same size as the registration arms. I found that 15 turns was about right for my WCML Mk1 portals. The plus-point is that they are virtually free! I'm struggling to remember how I fixed them in place, possibly a dot of superglue at either end. They certainly look the part.

• Like 1

''So I take it that it will be ready for next year's show instead then. Any demo at this year's show?''

I wish Ian. I will be most likely manning the TtTe layout with my daughter for most of the weekend, again! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

Hi Kev,

I looked at these the other night but had no time to reply whilst getting ready for Ayr. Those masts and gantry look superb and with the stock you have this is going to be a cracker of a layout. Will look forward to seeing it at a future show.

37423 made its exhibition debut today and sounds superb on the layout so thanks for that. It was alongside a couple more 66's though!

Thanks

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update, photo's to follow when the smell dissipates in the loft! Yes the yard track has now been sprayed, ready for ballasting. The 'concrete base's' are in for the masts, and the off scene registration arms and ramp end spring gantry built. Oh and the portals are being sprayed one by one! Can you tell it's my day off!

Edit -

As promised, some photo's.

post-8271-0-63258100-1446816793_thumb.jpg

The painted track, with one of the 'concrete' mast bases to the left, made from washers! On the right, the disconnected track has gained a 'buffer stop' made from a pair of concrete sleepers. The 'main lines' in the foreground were masked off, as I wanted them to look newly laid to go with the 'engineering works' still ongoing on the other side of the station bridge. Of course this means I will have to paint the rails the hard way!

post-8271-0-16351800-1446816807_thumb.jpg

Here we see the under bridge (when it gets built!) arms, soldered to copper-clad strip, and the termination/ramp portal with its springs attached. The main portal painting is as yet unfinished. Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 9

I've been shopping!

post-8271-0-06006400-1447410429_thumb.jpg

Just the signals left to order as a 'major' expense now.  After next payday!  I'm actually looking forward to building these, how sad is that?  Jobs completed this week are the portals, now painted.  The platform tracks rail sides, ditto. And one job I had forgotten, the fitting of cosmetic fishplates to the bullhead track.  Good job they are greased on the real thing so are a different colour to the rest of the rails. Kev.

• Like 6