Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I wonder how many of the station's users were aware they were standing on a bridge over the Aire? It's not exactly visible...

There was actually a lock under one of the arches under the station, the remains of which can still be seen.  This enabled coal barges to reach the power station on Whitehall road and the Elida Gibbs factory just along from it otherwise known as Soapy Joe's.  This made the short stretch of the river alongside Leeds Wellington navigable.  I'm not sure when the barge traffic ceased.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I wonder how many of the station's users were aware they were standing on a bridge over the Aire? It's not exactly visible...

Not many people (unless they are Loiners with a bit of historical knowledge) know about the river course. They do know the Dark Arches as it now has bars and restaurants in them

baz

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There was actually a lock under one of the arches under the station, the remains of which can still be seen.  This enabled coal barges to reach the power station on Whitehall road and the Elida Gibbs factory just along from it otherwise known as Soapy Joe's.  This made the short stretch of the river alongside Leeds Wellington navigable.  I'm not sure when the barge traffic ceased.

Jamie

Possibly when the shut the two places. Soapy Joes now on Coal Rd in much reduced form.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Possibly when the shut the two places. Soapy Joes now on Coal Rd in much reduced form.

Baz

I believe that the power station shut quite early, possibly in the 30's but continued in use as a CEGB training school. The lock is accessed from the upper canal basin rather than directly from the river and you can see it as you walk down the dark arches when you cross a second water channel.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

The Canals of North West England (Charles Hadfield and Gordon Biddle, pub David & Charles), which is generally viewed as authoritative on such matters has it as opening in 1845 and as being disused C1960.

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, figworthy said:

The Canals of North West England (Charles Hadfield and Gordon Biddle, pub David & Charles), which is generally viewed as authoritative on such matters has it as opening in 1845 and as being disused C1960.

Adrian

It was certainly disused in the mid 70's when I first explored the dark arches on a night shift as a young bobby. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, dessire_luvals said:

I'm wondering how you panted your track and what with please?

I have searched on as many words that I can think off but can't find anything.

Thanks

Russell

Russell, I used an airbrush to spray it all in situ with Humbrol Track Colour. It will need some more work once it is ballasted, not a job that I am looking forward to!

Regards John E.

8 hours ago, dessire_luvals said:

Thank you John. Looking good already.

Further to my last post Russell, one downside to spraying is that the paint needs cleaning off the rail heads afterwards and on my layout took a long time. What I had not appreciated though was the fact that it needs cleaning off the inside of the head of the rail as well otherwise you get very poor electrical pick up. Wheels run on the inner curve of the rail head not the flat top due to the coning etc.

Regards John E.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello John

Love your videos and latest photos and am very much looking forward to see scenery and building springing up all over the place!

And I'm glad you mentioned the rail cleaning on the inside of the rails. I discovered eventually, the hard way, with Yeovil Mk 1  that this needed doing otherwise very intermittent running was the result. In the end I used a piece of brass shaped roughly to the top profile of the rail to do the job, which worked quite well.

I've yet to use one of your signal bases / towers in anger, but will let you know as soon as I do. I have made a lot of progress of late though so the signalling moment may arrive sooner then I expected, and that will be a turn up for the books!  All courtesy of a virus.

I hope your keeping sane and healthy.

Kind regards

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, TheLaird said:

Further to my last post Russell, one downside to spraying is that the paint needs cleaning off the rail heads afterwards and on my layout took a long time. What I had not appreciated though was the fact that it needs cleaning off the inside of the head of the rail as well otherwise you get very poor electrical pick up. Wheels run on the inner curve of the rail head not the flat top due to the coning etc.

Regards John E.

I don't know what you do but i wipe the rail tops with kitchen roll while the paint is wet, keeping my finger round the gauge corner. When it's dry the rail head just needs a rub with a very fine abrasive rubber.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheLaird said:

The Fairburn has departed with the Sheffield-Bradford and the B1 has followed out. The sectional appendix is quite specific about this manoeuvre, drivers being required to do it unless instructed otherwise. They are advised to proceed cautiously at a safe distance in case the train stops suddenly so as to avoid a rear end collision. They are required to stop at the first signal regardless of its aspect until they see it return to danger and then be subsequently cleared. I assume the main purpose of this is to ensure that the signalman does not forget a loco standing at the buffer stops, something we have found very easy to do. I have therefore installed track circuits for the platform roads as a precaution, even though they were not employed on the prototype at this time.

Presumably, in the absence of track circuits, the idea is that the light engine should stand somewhere were the bobby can see it, or the crew easily attract his attention.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, TheLaird said:

The Fairburn has departed with the Sheffield-Bradford and the B1 has followed out. The sectional appendix is quite specific about this manoeuvre, drivers being required to do it unless instructed otherwise. They are advised to proceed cautiously at a safe distance in case the train stops suddenly so as to avoid a rear end collision. They are required to stop at the first signal regardless of its aspect until they see it return to danger and then be subsequently cleared. I assume the main purpose of this is to ensure that the signalman does not forget a loco standing at the buffer stops, something we have found very easy to do. I have therefore installed track circuits for the platform roads as a precaution, even though they were not employed on the prototype at this time.

1190071286_B161392AwaitstheroadP6LE.jpg.631deeac2b13bdb4d5ec21cc44f7a442.jpg

B1 61392 awaits the starter from No6 to give him the road to Holbeck shed.

Great pic, John.  So atmospheric.

On a slightly different topic, and after watching some of your vids, your loco’s always sounds great (Bradfield loco’s included). What sounds decoders do you use?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Presumably, in the absence of track circuits, the idea is that the light engine should stand somewhere were the bobby can see it, or the crew easily attract his attention.

Some stations had facingnpoint type locking bars at the ends of platforms. I know Manchester Central did, presumably  so that there was in indication in the box that there was a veicle there.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Some stations had facingnpoint type locking bars at the ends of platforms. I know Manchester Central did, presumably  so that there was in indication in the box that there was a veicle there.

Where these purely indicators or were they interlocked so that the home couldn't be pulled off, only the calling-on signal?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I believe this was fairly standard practice, although not exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, turtlebah said:

Great pic, John.  So atmospheric.

On a slightly different topic, and after watching some of your vids, your loco’s always sounds great (Bradfield loco’s included). What sounds decoders do you use?

All the Diesels are mostly Southwest Digital. The Steam sounds are a mixture, the Fairburns are SWD but the rest are Digitrains, Olivias and Locoman. The SWD sounds are on ESU decoders the rest are Zimo which I prefer for Steam Loco's. 

Regards John E.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I think what Jamie is referring to are depression bars. Variations of these were employed in various locations and relied on the wheel flange pushing them down, hence the name. Some were on the outside of the rail and the wheel tread pushed them down. They were mechanically connected to the "detection" or "locking" and prevented a point being moved or a signal cleared when a vehicle was on them, either moving or stationary. I can't comment on the ones at Manchester Central but there were quite a few at Leeds and I have replicated some with electrical detection. I think it more likely that track circuits would be used to give indications in the box. It is surprising how old the track circuit technology is. Treadles are a similar thing but I believe are used to detect the passing of a train rather than one standing on it. There are some at Leeds and are used in connection with the Rotary Block signalling to detect that a train has passed through the block and again I have replicated this with electrical detection. 

Compound2632 mentions the control of signals and again I believe this would have been done electrically with track circuits but possibly there are some purely mechanical installations. However, on the layout I have interlocked the signal with the platform TC's to inhibit the main arm when the platform is occupied, allowing only the calling on to be cleared. This is not prototypical in this case as no TC's were in the platform roads at this time but it does ensure that my signalman operate correctly. There is a separate circuit to ensure the subsidiary does not clear until a berthing TC immediately in rear of the signal is occupied. The circuits were designed for me by Howard Bolton and the detection circuits by Richard Challis.

Thanks for the interest shown, regards John E

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

When we had our large club OO "Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury Midlands and Bradford London Rd we always followed the train out from the terminal platform roads. 

I seem to remember a Peak doing the same on one of the through platforms at Leeds following a "reversed" express outheir.  But he was a ground signal behind the train...

Baz

• Like 2