Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Barry O said:

When we had our large club OO "Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury Midlands and Bradford London Rd we always followed the train out from the terminal platform roads. 

I seem to remember a Peak doing the same on one of the through platforms at Leeds following a "reversed" express outheir.  But he was a ground signal behind the train...

Baz

Yet another Dewsbury Midland. I did not know about this one. Do you have any photos?

• RMweb Premium

Here are the only ones I've got, taken at the Leeds Exhibition in 1980. I'm sure Baz will be able to find some others, subject to copyright.

471_Leeds_Victoria_8010.jpg.a772494b51fbe320951c37a22c67801e.jpg

First is Leeds Victoria (ex-LYR) itself.

470_Royds_Hall_Junction_8010.jpg.a7fa2543ef8ddbd3f148c0e433d0e44a.jpg

Then we see the four-track main line from Leeds descending the steep bank towards Dewsbury. "Falcon" has just left Bradford London Road (ex-LNWR) and is passing Royds Hall Junction.

469_Dewsbury_Midland_Yard_8010.jpg.590f02860bb0fc3543292cdcc5886948.jpg

Finally we see Dewsbury Midland yard and station, followed by the double track swinging round past Dewsbury MPD towards Bradford.

Edited by St Enodoc
Oops! Bradford London Road not Exchange of course...
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually remember seeing this layout at Leeds!

Never understood the fascination with Dewsbury though as a Batley lad!

Incidentally, as I recall from reading the minutes to Acts of Parliament as an undergrad, the LNW did consider expanding the "Coddy Bob" line (Batley to Birstall)

through Birkenshaw to Bradford.

It lost out to the GNR scheme which ran via Drighlington.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I've posted this before but this was the track plan, the railway ran from Leeds Victoria which was a terminus version of Wakefield Westgate via Dewsbury to Bradford London Road. Banking was necessary up the hill to Victoria, some of our trains were extremely heavy.1515909463_LeedsVictoriasmall.jpg.046afa4d8cd76da1902e6d05f65f84d3.jpg

• Like 16

As I mentioned earlier, I am now working on the station area buildings. After the boundary changes of 1956, the North Eastern were quick to repaint things in their blue, cream and tangerine colour scheme. Does anyone know what the exact colours were called and if any manufacturer produces them?

Regards JohnE.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

No manufacturer Does the BR North Eastern colours which were Oriental blue and an ivory white. Presicion do the station sign tangerine and many manufacturers do station signs in that colour, some will customise to your chosen station.

To recreate the blue and white I’ve used Humbrol Matt 89 (this quite old so not sure if number is still applicable) and Vallejo acrylic ivory 70.918

Hope this is helpful.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Is provincial light blue a match (railmatch)?

Baz

I've used it on this hut from an NE location.  For the cream upper section I used, as far as I remember, Precision Paints GWR Coach Roof White as advised by a friend who is somewhat of an expert in such things...

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

These are the drawings that I am working to for the platform building and canopies. Bear in mind that I have to reduce the size because of the compromises in the model, so it is a "looks like" rather than actual! We have very little in the way of photographic evidence so a lot is guess work. Also, the drawings are the proposed alterations not necessarily as built! The final pic shows what was left of it in 2012 when I visited.

058.jpg.2eba29616179954760e56da00742eb1e.jpg

059.jpg.7c9d7fb79eb0ad991ae5a7869768d1db.jpg

063.jpg.270ad9dd9064baff84ad056589531fbf.jpg

060.jpg.351db84cf71b2dfbd7f61a61d034ce90.jpg

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I remember in my early spotting days, 68/69 ish, that site of the station was a parce!s depot, were the buildings still intact or was it cleared for its new life?

Mike.

Some of the buildings are still there, you can see them on Google, bottom left is the bit just modelled.

image.png.e5566f8e4f14f1a22c287812221fd4b9.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Lovely model of an unlovely station.

Could not agree more. When the LMS rebuilt it in the 30's I think all the best architects were employed on the new Queens Hotel, leaving the office junior to do the replacement overall roof for the station. He must have been a meccano enthusiast!

Regards John E.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

Could not agree more. When the LMS rebuilt it in the 30's I think all the best architects were employed on the new Queens Hotel, leaving the office junior to do the replacement overall roof for the station. He must have been a meccano enthusiast!

Regards John E.

The North Concourse itself is (or was at least - haven't been there for 30 years) pretty impressive though.

• RMweb Premium

We used to park in parts of the old station building (now the short term car park on the picture Woodenhead posted). It was full of steel roof trusses and uprights..the roof leaked like a sieve and it could be exciting trying to get round some of the parking bays.

Until it was reopened the old Station Concourse was quite depressing. Faded Art Deco.. luckily it is all nice and pristine now.

Baz

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

We used to park in parts of the old station building (now the short term car park on the picture Woodenhead posted). It was full of steel roof trusses and uprights..the roof leaked like a sieve and it could be exciting trying to get round some of the parking bays.

Until it was reopened the old Station Concourse was quite depressing. Faded Art Deco.. luckily it is all nice and pristine now.

Baz

Thanks Baz. It was OK in the 80s - must've gone downhill after I left. What became of the News Cinema (later Cleopatra's Night Club)?

22 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I remember in my early spotting days, 68/69 ish, that site of the station was a parce!s depot, were the buildings still intact or was it cleared for its new life?

Mike.

Mike.

The building just modelled and the Art Deco concourse were the only station buildings and remain to this day. The platforms and canopies survived until the late 80's or 90's but the track was remodelled late 60's to form the parcels depot. Over time, the gap between platforms was filled in and the canopies were joined together to form a covered area for vehicles. As the parcels business faded, it was turned over to car parking. My first experience of the station was when attending a conference at the Queens Hotel late 80's and the parking was at the rear under the canopies and girders. I didn't realise at the time that it was the old station.

Regards John E.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2