Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I hope Tony will tolerate some slightly humourous posts at this time of joy and peace in the world.​ the year. It is the smell of Sherry and Mincing Pies that is a curse for some of us and we can not control the fingers.

S. Anta.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you have worked out the others, p/e is part etched - usually just the frames and motion. I have been doing full drawings for everything I build for more than 30 years, on CAD since 1993 and it's quicker now to transfer these parts to an etch than it is to saw them out of metal. I have had to remember how to make coupling rods out of steel twice recently, to replace the rods on a Mercian HC 0-6-0DM (the less said about that the better) and to continue working on a scratchbuilt MR compound I started many years ago.

If I am building a kit (from another manufacturer of course) I don't necessarily use all of what's in the box, if parts are wrong I usually throw them out and replace them. Part of the origin of Judith Edge kits is all the bad language coming from the workshop while I struggled to build someones awful kit, to quote Judith "You design proper kits and I'll sell them".

Thanks Mike - bl00dy obvious really.

• RMweb Premium

In conversation with two chums the other day, the subject of good-management came up. We all agreed that the best managers didn't need to be able to do the jobs of their subordinates. I cited a headmistress I once worked under, as a head of department. She admitted, she couldn't 'draw for toffee', but she had me to teach that subject. She was a brilliant head.

How true. Many times organisations promote their top shop-floor operator and end up with their worst supervisor.

• Like 1

If you want a really good looking loco, forget the Midland, the LNWR and all this other minor companies and go for something Great.

Great Central that is....

attachicon.gifGCR_11B_1031.jpg

Not bad, a good effort I would say. To be honest around that period of time there were some beautiful locomotives built by all the companies.

Regards

Peter

Edited by petrovich

The thing is that the little 2-4-0 is pulling the Claughton and all those carriages too.

Leaving Carlisle heading south, an easy run!

It would be interesting to know the date of the photo. There are a couple of unusual looking carriages in the train, 4th and 7th/8th behind the locos.

LNWR enthusiasts really shouldn't be making derogatory remarks about double-heading...

lnwr_southbound_doubleheader_near_carlis

________________________________________________________________________________

If we are talking double heading ... beat this for sheer elegance (locos and stock)  ....on the long pull up towards Millers dale .... I'm certainly going to model it :locomotive:

post-25312-0-76100400-1544047819_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 6

I hope Tony will tolerate some slightly humourous posts at this time of joy and peace in the world.​ the year. It is the smell of Sherry and Mincing Pies that is a curse for some of us and we can not control the fingers.

S. Anta.

Phil,

I tolerate and rejoice in anything funny (we have several mirrors in our house). 

Though, at this time of the year, I make Scrooge look like a philanthropist (though I'm not really tight), if you can tolerate my 'Humbug! Humbug! responses, then we'll have a giggle.

Actually, I'm not in the least bit humbuggy right now. I've put the frames together today for a SE Finecast K3 (being built for a mate in Scotland), and, 'Behold, I bring you glad tidings of great joy!' It's already working beautifully. More tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

One of my Dad's photos. Undated, Whitley Crossing Wigan, Northbound on the WCML.

post-6884-0-91294300-1544049122_thumb.jpg

Hurry up to Standish Junction, the "Caledonian" is only five minutes behind you !!!

I just about remember these wheezing monsters at Springs Branch late 50's early 60's - Then they were gone. (Thank God said the firemen !!).

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As a bit of a change from engines I'll just pop along to the other end of the train and a review by sir in the January (already?) issue of BRM of the new LNER brakevan from Hornby.  I must admit to being briefly intrigued by the prototype picture at the head of page 105 albeit with the giveaway the giveaway of the excessively sturdy handle on the tail lamp.  the picture at the bottom of the page confirmed the location as Little Bytham.

Two really good messages there I think - firstly the weathering of the van which looked so natural as to mislead and secondly the attitude of the Guard on the rear verandah watching the world go by - an excellently modelled figure beautifully painted.  Oh and the van was even exhibiting the correct lamps.

Morning Tony,

Cracked on with that o2 conversion yesterday afternoon, I’ll be getting all the wiring done today for the chip. I’ll then test it on the layout, tweak anything and then I’ll complete it with all the bits and pieces left over and paint it.

Thanks for the help with he start of it.

post-25906-0-15959200-1544051951_thumb.jpeg

Jesse

post-25906-0-15959200-1544051951_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

If you want a really good looking loco, forget the Midland, the LNWR and all this other minor companies and go for something Great.

Great Central that is....

attachicon.gifGCR_11B_1031.jpg

If we are talking GCR (about which I know very little) I have to admit to preferring the lines of this

https://www.gcr567loco.co.uk/history

Hopefully this project will come to fruition in due course. If I ever won big on the lottery I would be sorely tempted to commission a pukka Johnson 4-4-0, possibly the 1808 class with round fire box and slimline boiler in pre 1902 condition & livery ..... pipe dreams  :drag:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough :angel:  I do think the cabs a bit big though, could almost be an L&Y engine!

Now if you want a really pretty engine - and its blue!

attachicon.gif018_REAL_14668_HVT.JPG

Jerry

Don't the crew get wet if it rains?

Mind you, the S & D J R didn't have to go over anywhere like Woodhead so maybe half a cab was enough.

I am not totally blinkered when it comes to preferences and I like many older locos. Johnson Singles and Dean Singles are both things of great beauty.

But the proportions of that Robinson 4-4-0 are just perfect to my eyes. They got rebuilt with bigger boilers, pitched higher, which spoiled the looks but as built, just lovely. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't the crew get wet if it rains?

Mind you, the S & D J R didn't have to go over anywhere like Woodhead so maybe half a cab was enough.

I am not totally blinkered when it comes to preferences and I like many older locos. Johnson Singles and Dean Singles are both things of great beauty.

But the proportions of that Robinson 4-4-0 are just perfect to my eyes. They got rebuilt with bigger boilers, pitched higher, which spoiled the looks but as built, just lovely. 

The Mendips can get a bit breazy round the ankles!

Those Midland/SDJR cabs whilst wonderfully elegant were next to pointless. I remember standing in the cab of the Midland spinner at York and thinking this wouldn't offer much protection on a drafty night.

Like you I have fairly broad tastes. I rather like the Brighton in the early 20th century and, though I try not to let on, I really like Edwardian GWR.

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One train, no loco - SR with multiple units. A far more sensible and satisfactory solution.  :onthequiet:

G.

Grahame is right is some respects, who needs a loco when this beauty was as fast as a Deltic, as powerful as a Deltic and was more comfortable than the mk2s a Deltic hauled.

post-16423-0-39113500-1544054851_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The Mendips can get a bit breazy round the ankles!

Those Midland/SDJR cabs whilst wonderfully elegant were next to pointless. I remember standing in the cab of the Midland spinner at York and thinking this wouldn't offer much protection on a drafty night.

Like you I have fairly broad tastes. I rather like the Brighton in the early 20th century and, though I try not to let on, I really like Edwardian GWR.

Jerry

It can be our guilty secret. My first ever kit was a Ks Dean Goods and I still own a Triang Lord of the Isles. Those sorts of things with the clerestory carriages are hard to resist.

• Like 1