Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Well, you did ask.

attachicon.gifLNWR Jubilee.JPG

attachicon.gifPrecursor 34FP toned.jpg

attachicon.gifG1 assembled.jpg

attachicon.gifLRM CT 34RP2.jpg

And if you really want one without a cab!

attachicon.gifLRM McConnell Bloomer.JPG

Many thanks Jol,

if you don't ask, now I have a whole page of goodies worth bookmarking for my inspirations folder. exquisite work.

You asked so here are three locos from Green Ayre, all built and painted by my late friend Tony Bond.

First 311 which was one of the last three of the class that were never nominally rebuilt to 483 class. Here at the head of a Wennington portion in the bay platform at Lancaster.

attachicon.gifPC063856.JPG

In the foreground is the back of a running in board that only the operators can see that says Marthwaite.

Then 638 a Spinner that normally hauls the Inspection saloon.   I picked the kit up cheaply on the club stall at Warley and Tony worked his magic.]

attachicon.gifPC063859.JPG

I noticed when I got it out of the box that two of the ender axleboxes have dropped off.   Glued, not soldered.   I'll have to get that attended to along with painting the wires that connect the tender pick ups in a less noticeable colour.

Then as a comparison No 14, a Kirtley 2-4-0 with outside cranks.   I love watching this in action.   However the first time I ran it through the platforms at green Ayre it ended up walking along the platform so we had to do a bit of adjustment.

attachicon.gifPC063858.JPG

Sorry for the poor photos but it's a bit murky here today.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

huge respect for your contribution.

Good afternoon Andrew,

Many thanks for your kind comments.

I, too, have seen some very dodgy K3s, some built from SE Finecast kits. They are quite complex, but reward care and attention to detail.

attachicon.gifSE Finecast K3 61825.jpg

Here's mine again, on a typical LB duty.

attachicon.gifSE Finecast Bachmann London Road K3 61812.jpg

Here's a real hybrid I made/painted/weathered. It's a Bachmann K3 body, modified to RH-drive, with a SE Finecast cab, on top of a SE Finecast set of frames (with modified Bachmann motion), towing a London Road GNR tender. 

attachicon.gifAnchorage K3 61832.jpg

I think this is a very fine model of a K3, built/painted by Alan Hammet using an Anchorage kit.

attachicon.gifBachmann K3 61975.jpg

And a modified Bachmann K3, by Tony Geary. I added extra details, mainly in the form of wiggly pipes. This one performs the least-satisfactorily of all LB's K3s (there are more!), wobbling about in motion. Its gear is also in reverse. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony,

a magnificent set of K3s, top notch modeling. I'm still not a fan of the Bachmann valve gear, it's the Phillips head screw on the motion bracket and the way the combination lever fails to connect with the valve spindle guide, due to the radius rod being too short. However, the other modifications lift the Bachamann model well above the mundane. The SEF and Anchorage models just look superb. All inspirational stuff, I shall be doing some soldering tonight.

• RMweb Premium

A line up of Victorian / Edwardian / Georgian engines. Forty years of scratch building effort. Not exactly prolific eh?

r2p4yd.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo.

Tim

Some lovely locos there.  Is the American built loco in Green a Baldwin.   It looks very like my Midland Baldwin.

Jamie.

Interesting to see your K3 with NER style cab as, having recently been given another Farish N class locomotive (in exchange for some modelling work) by a friend, I'm in the process of starting one of these varients myself.

attachicon.gif20181206_120451(0).jpg

Another 3D print which, other than the removal of the supports, has had no other fettling done to it. This one will be LNER No. 91 in c. 1935 condition without buffer beam cutouts, right hand drive and will be paired with an ex GNR tender as I have a picture of the locomotive on a down express goods at Sandy (so must have passed through Hadley Wood).

That is a commendably good finish for a 3D print - well done. I've never been quite so lucky with 3D prints I've ordered through Shapeways.

G

• RMweb Premium

Edited to add - Does anyone model banking duties ? - I tried a couple of times with the inevitable disastrous results !!

Brit15

Bankers on Shap, 1967 Graham of Grantham, his other layout.

Phil.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

A line up of Victorian / Edwardian / Georgian engines. Forty years of scratch building effort. Not exactly prolific eh?

r2p4yd.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo.

Tim

And presumably in 2mm scale. They certainly look like they should be in a museum - from their age and fine finish.

G.

attachicon.gifSE Finecast Bachmann London Road K3 61812.jpg

Here's a real hybrid I made/painted/weathered. It's a Bachmann K3 body, modified to RH-drive, with a SE Finecast cab, on top of a SE Finecast set of frames (with modified Bachmann motion), towing a London Road GNR tender. 

Regards,

Tony. 

May I ask what type of tender that is please.

I have a SEF K3 and also have the numberplates for 61812. Kings Cross which shows you how long I've had them. But then found out that it had a GNR tender.

I take it that it's an Ivatt, but is it a horseshoe or self trimming that I need to order?

Jason

Some I have built for myself and for others (or have done some work on) and a few from a certain well known GCR layout, with a handful from the late Malcolm Crawley that I now own.

attachicon.gifNew Layout 032.jpgattachicon.gifNew Layout 033.jpgattachicon.gifTerrier 075.jpgattachicon.gifSt Pancras.JPGattachicon.gifBuckingham 8th & 9th April 2008 003.jpgattachicon.gifBuckingham 8th & 9th April 2008 012.jpgattachicon.gifBuckingham 8th & 9th April 2008 038.jpgattachicon.gifEmpire Dock Road 009.jpg

Magnificent.

May I ask what type of tender that is please.

I have a SEF K3 and also have the numberplates for 61812. Kings Cross which shows you how long I've had them. But then found out that it had a GNR tender.

I take it that it's an Ivatt, but is it a horseshoe or self trimming that I need to order?

Jason

It is an Ivatt tender, Jason. Self-trimming, I would think.

With an asymmetric wheelbase.

Ten K3s at any one time had them in BR days. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

It can be our guilty secret. My first ever kit was a Ks Dean Goods and I still own a Triang Lord of the Isles. Those sorts of things with the clerestory carriages are hard to resist.

Snap. In fact it has been my intention to dig out the Dean and rebuild it even though I'm not working in 4 mil these days.

Looking forward, despite a really nasty bout of sciatica, to this weekend and seeing Tony and Geoff H again.

As for my own layout the sciatica has curtailed things more than somewhat. I have, however, got almost all my stock running on DCC and some may have seen a couple of installation guides from me (cue comment from Tony) as I have done all the installations. I'm trying to concentrate on reliable running and I seem to have one particularly recalcitrant loco, putting a meter on it all is fine, running on the layout suggests a pick up problem; most baffling. In despair this may go for professional fettling!

It is an Ivatt tender, Jason. Self-trimming, I would think.

With an asymmetric wheelbase.

Ten K3s at any one time had them in BR days. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks. I thought it would be the Self Trimming version.

I haven't got the relevant RCTS book and the only reference I could find just mentioned it's a K3/2 fitted with an ex-GN tender.

Jason

Thanks. I thought it would be the Self Trimming version.

I haven't got the relevant RCTS book and the only reference I could find just mentioned it's a K3/2 fitted with an ex-GN tender.

Jason

Though I used a LRM tender, Jason, another option (if you're not into forming brass) is to get one from SE Finecast. The sort (which is most-appropriate) sold with their recently-introduced J6. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Snap. In fact it has been my intention to dig out the Dean and rebuild it even though I'm not working in 4 mil these days.

Looking forward, despite a really nasty bout of sciatica, to this weekend and seeing Tony and Geoff H again.

As for my own layout the sciatica has curtailed things more than somewhat. I have, however, got almost all my stock running on DCC and some may have seen a couple of installation guides from me (cue comment from Tony) as I have done all the installations. I'm trying to concentrate on reliable running and I seem to have one particularly recalcitrant loco, putting a meter on it all is fine, running on the layout suggests a pick up problem; most baffling. In despair this may go for professional fettling!

Bring it along...............

Believe it or not, I have fixed DCC-related problems. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

Some I have built for myself and for others (or have done some work on) and a few from a certain well known GCR layout, with a handful from the late Malcolm Crawley that I now own.

attachicon.gifNew Layout 032.jpgattachicon.gifNew Layout 033.jpgattachicon.gifTerrier 075.jpgattachicon.gifSt Pancras.JPGattachicon.gifBuckingham 8th & 9th April 2008 003.jpgattachicon.gifBuckingham 8th & 9th April 2008 012.jpgattachicon.gifBuckingham 8th & 9th April 2008 038.jpgattachicon.gifEmpire Dock Road 009.jpg

I'm thoroughly biased towards the last one but they're all lovely.

Many thanks Jol,

if you don't ask, now I have a whole page of goodies worth bookmarking for my inspirations folder. exquisite work.

Thanks Jamie,

huge respect for your contribution.

Thanks Tony,

a magnificent set of K3s, top notch modeling. I'm still not a fan of the Bachmann valve gear, it's the Phillips head screw on the motion bracket and the way the combination lever fails to connect with the valve spindle guide, due to the radius rod being too short. However, the other modifications lift the Bachamann model well above the mundane. The SEF and Anchorage models just look superb. All inspirational stuff, I shall be doing some soldering tonight.

Thanks Andrew,

I agree about the Bachmann valve gear. 

Without any modification it just jumbles along in a most-unprototypical way. 

I used it on the hybrid because it formed an article which was published in BRM some little time ago, and the then-editor, Ben Jones, felt it was probably the best option. Making valve gear must be the biggest stumbling block for locomotive builders everywhere. 

Is that why the GWR is so popular? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Superb, these do not need and further explanation !

Regards

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Leaving Carlisle heading south, an easy run!

It would be interesting to know the date of the photo. There are a couple of unusual looking carriages in the train, 4th and 7th/8th behind the locos.

It's possible the carriages you've picked out are LNWR vehicles painted red - the photo could well date from the mid-1920s. Crewe had no great sense of urgency about repainting engines red or replacing the cast iron numberplates.

Many thanks to Al (Barry Ten) for buying the model of DoG (built by the late Geoff Brewin), donated by Phil Bancroft.

With the monies raised by the LNER weekend on LB, that means I'll be sending cheques to the value of £575.00 to Cancer Research. That doesn't include anything I might make from any further loco doctoring.

By the end of the year, we won't be far shy of £3,000.00.

My thanks, as always, for all the generous donations made. 

• Like 10

Perhaps a parasol would look quite stylish this season. What's the story with the tender buffer housing?

Andrew,

best show thus:

post-1191-0-39494700-1544124088_thumb.jpg

This show the later longer wheelbase tender that usually ran with the Webb modified Bloomers, but the buffer housing design is the same. There was a semi elliptical multi leaf curved spring  fitted horizontally inside the housing. The buffers were anchored on the outer ends of the spring and, although the only drawings I have isn't too clear, the coupling hook appears to be anchored to the centre of the spring.

And a  couple more Edwardian delights;

A LNWR Whitworth, the smaller wheeled version of the Precedents a.k.a Jumbos. This was painted and lined by Ian Rathbone. The crew had nipped off for a comfort break, but have since returned

post-1191-0-81613300-1544125155.jpg

An 18" Goods or Cauliflower.  I painted this airbrushed cellulose paint and lined it with SMS transfers. Both of these are from George Norton kits, now part of London Road Models range. Both photos were taken several years ago while the London Road extension was till being built (and its still not really finished).

post-1191-0-70291000-1544125202.jpg

• Like 14