Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Why not build them with the valve gear different on each side so that it corresponds to how the reverser would be set for each direction? After all, you can only see one side at a time...

Good point John,

However, Little Bytham can be seen from both sides.....................................

What it would mean is that locos would only be able to run one way for 'absolute' realism, their gear set accordingly. My locos work both ways. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Would you hack a Sutton Locomotive Works BR/Sulzer Type 2 Bo-Bo about? No need because it is a wonderful model, much better than my Hornby conversions from yesteryear. 

It took me 12 months just to pluck up the courage to drill a hole in the nose for the Tyne Dock air pipes on my two.

Hopefully a weathering and, on one, a renumbering, takes them a little beyond their, already very impressive, RTR looks.  They were awaiting replacement Laserglaze windows when these photos were taken.

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

The great thing about a real location is that, you look at a phot and everything’s there. Scale drawings are hard to come by, but I’m sure ill

be able to charm someone into finding some! 

Evening Jesse,

If I was sat on the outside bog in one of the row of houses behind the GC mainline in Leicester, on a Septembers evening in 1949 and I had missed going down the pub. No worries, one would come trundling past at about half past eight. It happens every hour or so at an exhibition not so close to you, exactly as it did back in 49 and I have the photo to prove it.

Photo 2 Leicester South Bulleid Tavern Car.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

49 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It's a somersault, Steve; or it still was in 1938. The centre picture on page 6 of Yeadon's Register Volume 2, the A4s and the W1 shows it clearly. It's also on the front cover. Willie states SILVER KING is on the UP FS, but it's actually on the Down working. This shows that one should always treat any captions with suspicion. Many of Willie's are incorrect.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Bless me, so it is! Embarrassing as I have a copy and never noticed! Thank you for finding it and pointing it out.

I was half hoping it was an upper quadrant, as that would be far easier to make. However, it appears that it is mounted on a concrete post so that's something in its favour at least. Anyone have any ideas why this was retained after the Down line switched to a twin aspect colour light?

Interesting to note that photographs taken from the Up platform looking south seem to be rare. In fact the photograph you have pointed out is the only one I know about - I'm sure I'll be informed of others now by this, ever helpful, community. :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lecorbusier said:

Each to their own Clive .... not being prescriptive here. By weight I was not meaning to be literal but visual ... I have seen plastic bodied locos which have a real appearance of weight and solidity.

Personally I would always advocate 'Mucking up' RTR .... meaning a thorough weathering and maybe the odd evidence of damage or maintenance. I am not an expert in anything ... but particularly not things diesel/electric etc .....but there does seem to be far less variety and reworking than with the long lived steam classes so major surgery might not be necessary for prototypical appearance.

I have listed the conversions I have done to RTR diesels on here before so here goes again

Mainline 03 to class 04

Lima 09 to class 12

Lima 09 and H/D 08 to class 13

Wrenn class 20 to a class 20 with headcode boxes

Hornby class 29/21 to Class 21 (GE version)

Hornby class 29/21 to Class 21 (GNSR version)

Hornby class 29/21 to Class 29 (D6123 disc headcode)

Hornby class 29/21 to Class 29 (4 fig heacode)

Hornby class 29 to Class 22 (pilot batch)

Hornby class 29 to Class 22 (disc headcode)

Hornby class 29 to Class 22 (four fig heacde boxes rebuilt from discheadcode)

Hornby class 29 to Class 22 (built with four fig headcode)

Hornby class 29/21 to Warship A1A-A1A

Hornby class 25 to Class 24 (pilot batch)

Hornby class 25 to Class 24 (production batch)

Hornby class 25 to Class 24 (4 fig headcode ScR tablet recess)

Hornby class 25 to Class 24 (4 fig headcode LMR)

Hornby class 25 to class 25/0

Hornby class 25 to class 25/1 non boiler

Hornby class 25 to class 25/2 late body with boiler

Hornby class 25 to Class 25/3

Hornby class 25 to Class 25/3 (ScR tablet recess)

Tri-ang class 30 to Class 30 (toffee apple)

Tri-ang class 30 to Class 30 (disc headcode)

Tri-ang class 30 to Class 30 (D5835 additional grille 2000hp)

Airfix class 31 to class 31 (disc headcode)

Lima class 33 to class 33/1 (bagpipe)

Lima class 33 to class 33/2 (slim Jim)

Lima class 33 to class 26 (GNR version)

Lima class 33 to class 26 (ScR version)

Lima class 33 to class 27 (ScR version tablet recess)

Lima class 33 to class 27 ( NER version no boiler)

Lima class 33 to class 27 ( LMR version)

Tri-ang class 35 to early class 35 (D7001)

Tri-ang class 37 to Class 37 split heacode

Tri-ang class 37 to class 23

Tri-ang class 37 to Class 40 (disc headcode)

Tri-ang class 37 to Class 40 (split headcode)

Tri-ang class 37 to Class 40 (central headcode)

Vi Trains class 37 to Class 37 split headcode

Vi Trains class 37, backdated

Lima class 37 backdated

Jouef Class 40 slimmed

Jouef Class 40 slimmed split headcode

Mainline Warship, disc headcode

Lima Warship to D870 Zulu Roof mounteed horn box.

Mainline class 45 to class 44

Mainline class 45 to class 44 D9

Mainline class 45 to class 44 D10

Mainline class 45 to class 45 split headcode and front doors

Mainline class 45 to class 45 split headcode

Mainline class 45 to class 46 one piece central headcode box

Hornby class 47 to class 48

Hornby class 47 to early class 47 (3 part fixed radiator grille)

Hornby class 47 to later class 47 (2 part grille open position)

Lima class 47 to early class 47 (3 part fixed radiator grille)

Lima class 47 to early class 47 (3 part fixed vertical radiator grille, D1529)

Lima class 47 to later class 47 (2 part grille open position)

Heljan class 47 to later class 47 (2 part grille open position)

Vi trains  class 47 to early class 47 (3 part fixed radiator grille)

Vi Trains class 47 to later class 47 (2 part grille open position)

Lima Deltic, stretched to full length

Lima Deltic to DP2

Motorised Airfix/Dapol 04s and done all three tram versions

Motorised GBL class 47

Motorised GBL class 55

That list does not include the scratchbuilt locos I have done, in plastic.

Less  variety ? Tell my craft knife.

Edit , forgot Lima class 40 to class 23.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good point John,

However, Little Bytham can be seen from both sides.....................................

What it would mean is that locos would only be able to run one way for 'absolute' realism, their gear set accordingly. My locos work both ways. 

Regards,

Tony.

Fair comment. I thought you could only view LB from the inside. Must come and see for myself one day!

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah,

Quite so, but has he built well over 100 locos with outside valve gear to run on his railway? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I wouldn't have thought so as he tends to do things rather slower than some. I do know that he has built many more locos than have been published or generally known about and that he works to two standards, with locos being either normal or special (my terms, not his).

He has built quite a few of what have become known as "layout locos" and a few where he has pulled out all the stops and done something exceptional. Like Mons Meg and the Midland Single with inside working valve gear! I am sure Tim will see this and be able to tell us just how many he has built. In between spending time working on some rather impressive layouts.

He is no slouch when it comes to scenic work or other modelling either. Remember the 7mm A4 published in MRJ? That had working reversing valve gear.

It is one of those personal choices that we all make as modellers. There is a trade off in how far we want to go with our model making in terms of quantity versus quality.  We all have to choose where we want to position ourselves between the two and a tiny number of modellers manage to combine the two and make the rest of us look like as if we are messing about or playing at it. When you look at how the valve gear on something like a Chris Pendlenton "North Shields" loco looks compared to a standard kit etch, that illustrates the point.   

I am sure that you could make adjustable valve gear if you set your mind to it.

It might put 5 or 10 hours on the construction time of a loco. When the normal build time is only 25 or so hours, that is a big increase and the benefit, when a loco goes by at 65mph, is hardly worth the bother. If a loco is only seen going in one direction (as in forwards, not North or South) and tends to run through at a fairly constant speed, adjustable valve gear is a waste of effort. I don't think that any of your locos with outside valve gear ever run in reverse on the layout, if I recall correctly. At least not on view on the scenic section. An extra 10 hours per loco over a hundred locos is a lot of modelling time!

So perhaps for a special "party piece" loco it is a case of "I would like to see if I can do it"  but not really a priority on Little Bytham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon Tony, 

I’ve been sitting at my work bench filing and removing flash of a white metal kit, a NER G1, waiting for the soldering Iron to heat up........when it completely sh*ts itself. 

My question, if you wish to answer is, what soldering iron is best to order from Antex? 

Ive heard great things about them, you have one and a few other people I know have them. 

Cheers 

Jesse 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Afternoon Tony, 

I’ve been sitting at my work bench filing and removing flash of a white metal kit, a NER G1, waiting for the soldering Iron to heat up........when it completely sh*ts itself. 

My question, if you wish to answer is, what soldering iron is best to order from Antex? 

Ive heard great things about them, you have one and a few other people I know have them. 

Cheers 

Jesse 

Antex are good in my experience. I use an Antex XS25 for just about everything except whitemetal kits, for which I use a non-Antex temperature-controlled unit. Others will chip in with advice about which models they use, but regardless of that the easiest place to get Antex from in AUS is Element14 (used to be Farnell):

https://au.element14.com/

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Afternoon Tony, 

Cheers 

Jesse 

Good morning Jesse,

Firstly, my heartiest congratulations on using 'sitting' instead of 'sat' in your first sentence. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to correct that in my proof reading of others' writing. 

Of course, I wish to answer your question.

My Antex temperature-controlled iron (I have two) is a 660TC, 50Watt. Its temperature range is from 75 degrees to 425 degrees. The first one was bought for me as a 50th birthday present from Mo. I used it constantly for over a decade, then the iron itself failed. I contacted Antex (laying it on thick that it had featured in the Right Track DVD series) and, lo and behold, not only did they send me FOC a complete new unit, but also a replacement iron! 

The problem is, my sort of iron is no longer made by Antex. In fact, the firm now makes two. A 'low temperature' type and a 'high temperature type', neither of which will do all your constructional soldering. The 'low' type won't be hot enough for hard metal in any large size, and the 'high' type will be too hot for anything other than the largest castings. Neither are cheap (nor should they be, being of excellent quality). 

I have a third TCI. This is a XYTRONIC LF-389D, made in Taiwan. Its range is from 150 degrees to 480 degrees, and it's 60Watts. In fact, it's the one I use the most now for my building (though beware, because acid flux 'rots' the lead to the iron). One of the Antex TCIs goes with me to shows and the other is used exclusively on LB. 

The chap to ask about the best TCIs is Phil Atkinson of Hobby Holidays. He does a very wide range, all excellent.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The quality of etched kits depends on what you are modelling.  Etched kits from High Level, Judith Edge, Arthur Kimbers NER Kits, Dave Bradwell, London Road Models, 52F and several others all appear to be well received by RMweb members. The former Martin Finney etched kit range, now available through Brassmasters are reputedly excellent, as are their own designs. Even their old originals LNWR kits make up into excellent models. There are those manufacturers who also produce well received w/m kits including SEF, while DJH seem to have a good following.  I would however agree that some of the "older" w/m kits that are still in production often don't match up to more recent offerings.

Of course it may be that the models you specifically want are not available from any of those suppliers. There are some manufacturers whose products do not have a good reputation but I would suggest they are in the minority.

The short term availability of some RTR models is possibly a result of the effect of the RTR manufacturers and commissioners targeting the "collectors" section of the hobby, by restricting production volumes of a particular derivative to maximise sales of that version and increase interest/sales of subsequent other, different names/number/livery, versions.

Further to my earlier post.

I should have added re availabilty of kits, is the almost total lack of anything new being produced for the "mundane" Rolling Stock. Some modern stock yes, but very little for the grouping era and earlier. Coaches are hardly any better.  e.g  where can you actually buy a 4mm NER Coach . I am not aware of anyone selling Coaches other than the Langley Autocoach body.

The hobby is very heavily biased towards Locomotives at the moment.

• Agree 5

27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

Firstly, my heartiest congratulations on using 'sitting' instead of 'sat' in your first sentence. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to correct that in my proof reading of others' writing. 

Of course, I wish to answer your question.

My Antex temperature-controlled iron (I have two) is a 660TC, 50Watt. Its temperature range is from 75 degrees to 425 degrees. The first one was bought for me as a 50th birthday present from Mo. I used it constantly for over a decade, then the iron itself failed. I contacted Antex (laying it on thick that it had featured in the Right Track DVD series) and, lo and behold, not only did they send me FOC a complete new unit, but also a replacement iron! 

The problem is, my sort of iron is no longer made by Antex. In fact, the firm now makes two. A 'low temperature' type and a 'high temperature type', neither of which will do all your constructional soldering. The 'low' type won't be hot enough for hard metal in any large size, and the 'high' type will be too hot for anything other than the largest castings. Neither are cheap (nor should they be, being of excellent quality). 

I have a third TCI. This is a XYTRONIC LF-389D, made in Taiwan. Its range is from 150 degrees to 480 degrees, and it's 60Watts. In fact, it's the one I use the most now for my building (though beware, because acid flux 'rots' the lead to the iron). One of the Antex TCIs goes with me to shows and the other is used exclusively on LB. 

The chap to ask about the best TCIs is Phil Atkinson of Hobby Holidays. He does a very wide range, all excellent.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

Cheers Tony, I went and purchased the same one I had again, because I was too eager to get cracking on the kit. It’s a 50W, it’s range is 150-400, do you think it’s suitable? 

If not I’ll look at getting another.

Here’s the start of the kit, I know the wheels are incorrect, I need split spoke. 

75CD44F5-13BE-42FC-A0CD-7A0D233374EE.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

An insistence of the original design plan for LB was that it could be viewed (and thus accessible) from both sides. Of course, those of more obese appearance might struggle (will struggle) to reach the 'far side', but for the likes of me, it's not a problem.

Without the ability to access both sides, shots like the following would have been impossible............

Regards,

Tony. 

Having been stuck in the far side all day and having to watch an endless stream of trains go by I agree there ain't much room for us fatties.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I reckon Tony likes to put the trouble makers in the operating seat on the far side so he can keep an eye on them.  :mocking_mini:

Actually, as someone who has been fortunate to visit LB, I think the seat on the far side might just be the best vantage point from which to admire the layout.  Definitely worth the short scramble.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, micklner said:

Further to my earlier post.

I should have added re availabilty of kits, is the almost total lack of anything new being produced for the "mundane" Rolling Stock. Some modern stock yes, but very little for the grouping era and earlier. Coaches are hardly any better.  e.g  where can you actually buy a 4mm NER Coach . I am not aware of anyone selling Coaches other than the Langley Autocoach body.

We have actually lost quite a range of NER coaches, I appreciate that Dan Pinnock occasionally releases a new batch of his kits but we have also lost the excellent and growing rang of John Fozzard's North Eastern Design coach kits. I was lucky enough to purchase most of his NER and LNER kits along with a few of his H&B and GCR coach kits. I had hoped his son may continue with the range, but sadly it seems not.

It also looks as if we are going to lose the David Geen range of wagons as this has all gone very quiet after initial suggestions that there may be a buyer for the range, we can live in hope.

10 minutes ago, Blue Max said:

We have actually lost quite a range of NER coaches, I appreciate that Dan Pinnock occasionally releases a new batch of his kits but we have also lost the excellent and growing rang of John Fozzard's North Eastern Design coach kits. I was lucky enough to purchase most of his NER and LNER kits along with a few of his H&B and GCR coach kits. I had hoped his son may continue with the range, but sadly it seems not.

It also looks as if we are going to lose the David Geen range of wagons as this has all gone very quiet after initial suggestions that there may be a buyer for the range, we can live in hope.

Unfortunately it is becoming more common for existing ranges of kits to disappear when the owner retires  or passes on.

In the former scenario, either the existing owner often expects to get too much money for the business (being emotionally invested in it), making it nonviable for a potential buyer, or, quite simply, no one is interested in buying it, literally at any price. We have also seen situations, where having taken over a range, the new owner get a "disorganised" business which they are unable to run successfully and profitably, despite the prior owner 's promises.

In the latter case, the family are often unable or unwilling to find a buyer, as they have no knowledge of what the range consists or how to go about producing the kits, the "Corporate knowledge" having been lost, especially if it wasn't well documented. Sometimes, possibly the case for John Fozzard's kits, the family member's find it needs more effort than they are able or willing to put in. Without the knowledge, expertise and enthusiasm of the former owner, it might be just too difficult to maintain their motivation, especially for what might seem as a relatively poor return fr the time spent. They also have to be willing to deal with the modelling public!

Of course there is nothing to stop anyone, especially if they value the "lost" range of products, taking it over if the price is realistic. Whether they know how to run a business, produce the kits, design new ones, etc. will be a major consideration, but all those  trading today  have started their own small supplier manufacturing businesses from scratch over the years and learned as they went along. Fortunately some have also adopted or resurrected older products over the years. Brassmaster, SEF/Branchlines, London Road Models, Wizard/51L, Roxey and others have all done that. PPP have adopted various ranges, but have not yet created any new kits. If any of them cease trading, for whatever reason, then we'll be in a really poor situation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Yes, I agree and probably not just at the moment but for quite some time. And, for me, that is a shame. There is much more to railway modelling than just locos, such as passenger stock, wagons, multiple units, the infrastructure (signalling, track, stations, etc.,) and the world outside the boundary fence but surrounding and supporting the railway.

G. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Cheers Tony, I went and purchased the same one I had again, because I was too eager to get cracking on the kit. It’s a 50W, it’s range is 150-400, do you think it’s suitable? 

If not I’ll look at getting another.

Here’s the start of the kit, I know the wheels are incorrect, I need split spoke. 

75CD44F5-13BE-42FC-A0CD-7A0D233374EE.jpeg

It'll be fine, Jesse..................

• Agree 1

At least if one model's GN there are some quite good looking 3D printed coaches becoming available via Shapeways (from Mike Trice and another chap who's name escapes me) and Bill Bedford. I've only had one of Bill's so far and don't really need any more as I have a heap of Howlden D&S, and Nick Easton (Nick's own and a couple of Frank Davies) kits to build. Of course there is also quite a range of GN coach kits by RDEB from Andrew Hartshorne at Wizard Models. 

However, we're not in a  good position for ex GC coaches and John Fozzard's intended direction there looked very good.

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 1

Tony wrote:-

" Earlier split chassis ones are falling apart in epidemic proportions, and the more recent ones display split gears or crumbling gear towers. Not good. "

I wonder if this is all down to trying to get to the cheapest option as far as the manufacturer is concerned.  We seem to want everything down to a price these days. I am also (vaguely) interested in the European model scene where these problems do not seem to exist. A lot of the assembly and production work is in house but the results are by British standards way too expensive to be attractive. Would the model enthusiast of today pay £350 plus for a well engineered model loco which will last a lifetime (perhaps more than one). You will all be the judge of that.  For my part I would always try and make something to the best of my ability converting or adapting as required. This takes time an increasingly precious thing. As a 7mm type, we are getting an astonishing amount of trade support these days which will no doubt see the issues mentioned by Tony further down the road. (Heljan have already had a gear drive problem). So do we grin and bear it or be prepared to demand better quality at a higher price? (Here is one I made earlier!)

Martin Long

P1000864.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have seen plenty of exhibition layouts with locomotives 50 miles from their likely prototype operating area or in the wrong livery, but I have seen considerably more:

- thatched cottages in Yorkshire

-

Rob

It happens Rob - Vale of Pickering and the attendent valleys into the Southern N Yorks Moors have a number of thatched buildings - or did 25 years ago when I lived nearby.

But I accept the generalisation of poorly placed scenic item in respect of the supposed location.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Having been stuck in the far side all day and having to watch an endless stream of trains go by I agree there ain't much room for us fatties.

Well that would go for me too (and no wonder Baz likes to operate the M&GN...).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Headstock said:

I have always thought that modeling a real location is much harder than a made up one, hence why they are a minority pursuit.  ...   The GC is just about the right size to model a big LNER (and GWR and SR) mainline with far fewer compromises.

You might very well think that, but actually I've found it extraordinarily difficult to design a satisfactory track plan with "typical" GC-style features (and with a station) that will fit into anything smaller than a standard garage (which is the kind of space I don't have available, only a respectable-sized spare bedroom).  Something to do with the way the island platform pushes-out all the pointwork for crossovers and passing loops to the very extremities of the available space (not to mention access to a goods yard), leaving you, at best, only able to have train-set curves and train-set length trains.  Taking the points "round the corner" doesn't look quite right either.  And modelling an actual track plan of a real station, as so often advocated, seems barely feasible in anything significantly less than a Tony-style big shed.

The GC's London Extension trains may have been just about the right size to model with 'fewer compromises', but I don't think that applies to the stations!

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

You might very well think that, but actually I've found it extraordinarily difficult to design a satisfactory track plan with "typical" GC-style features (and with a station) that will fit into anything smaller than a standard garage

I guess it is not easy and straightforward to model a real location or a self designed place if one wants it ending up looking realistic and railwaylike, especially if it is to fit in a relatively small space where some kind of compression and compromise will be necessary.

My next layout plan involves quite an amount of compression but the overriding aims I hope to achieve are that it ends up looking representative and recognisable of the real place and exudes character and atmosphere. And, of course, that it works.