Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

38 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Thank you for your kind comments the front bogie wheels and pipe work is an issue you have mentioned to me before.

it is something I will hopefully get around to doing, I just need to look more closely to the detailing of the pipework and work out exactly what materials I need to use and as I now have plenty of time on my hands I may start to make some progress.

I have only just got around to replacing the flangeless pony track wheels to my Hornby RTR A3’s and A4’s.

I do believe the front bogie wheels you use are Markits but do you know if they are larger or smaller in diameter than the standard ones that come on the Hornby RTR models?

The A2/3 is indeed a Bachmann/ Graeme King conversion, one of two Gareth of Replica Railways converted  for me.

I really do enjoy reading all the different variety of content and railway modelling subjects on your thread, many thanks for all the interesting contributions from yourself and other members as well.

Regards

David

Good evening David,

The way I replicate the wiggly pipes is by using short handrail pillars and 5Amp fusewire, referring to prototype pictures.

The Markits bogie wheels are a scale 3' 2", so they're a tiny bit larger in diameter than the Bachmann ones. However, they don't foul the frames on curves. 

Thanks for your comments, and, as with all contributors, please stay safe.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not against generating publicity; especially naming locos.

Because the 'Sport of Kings' was more-followed in LNER days, the winners of classics were chosen (some delightfully absurd, like PRETTY POLLY), but puppets?

Just think, had that Virgin naming policy been applied by the BR Board to the Brits, we might have had 70002 ANDY PANDY (instead of GEOFFREY CHAUCER), 70009 THE FLOWERPOT MEN (instead of ALFRED THE GREAT) or 70030 MUFFIN THE MULE (instead of WILLIAM WORDSWORTH)! 

Anyway, I've always been a bit puzzled by a business named after something which has never had sex; a brilliant business though it might be. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Stop being an old misery guts. 

As a kid I would have loved to pulled by an engine called Andy Pandy, even today Andy Pandy is more relevant to my life than Chaucer or Wordsworth.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

May we see others' photographic efforts, please? 

All I do is take snaps with my phone camera, but hopefully they help me describe the comings and goings on Sheffield Exchange and my work bench.

020.jpg.122725878787292aec12dc53a5e5f7d5.jpg

A Black Five arriving with a non gangway train train from Leeds. I think at one point it had class 1 (old class A) headcode lamps by the spot of glue on the running plate. It does have crew and real coal. It was secondhand and a good price.

a029.jpg.837a57a151b8199157122811ef7bf961.jpg

Simultaneous arrivals from Doncaster (nearest the camera) and  Manchester. All RTR. The class 37 in the background is a Tri-ang body on a Lima chassis.

a023.jpg.0268824a7df95bd3ab29244aa487d6e2.jpg

An ECS to the carriage sidings. This is a LMR 3 car Cravens unit. The bodies are being built using Tri-ang Mk1 sides with scratchbuilt ends. The power unit is a Hornby ringfield, which if looked after will run nicely...in fact far less rattling than the prototype.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

As a kid I would have loved to pulled by an engine called Andy Pandy, even today Andy Pandy is more relevant to my life than Chaucer or Wordsworth.

826847977_handyandy600.jpg.c91c7fbf756aab13e3fd10493ea3fd74.jpg

I think this would be slightly more appropriate for a locomotive with some decent pulling power.

Of course I'm a little biased. ;)

Andy

Apart from

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Good morning Clive,

'even today Andy Pandy is more relevant to my life than Chaucer or Wordsworth.'

Or BYRON, TENNYSON or CHARLES DICKENS? 

Who knows? Maybe BOADICEA might have been WEEEEEED! They're the same gender.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Clive,

'even today Andy Pandy is more relevant to my life than Chaucer or Wordsworth.'

Or BYRON, TENNYSON or CHARLES DICKENS? 

Who knows? Maybe BOADICEA might have been WEEEEEED! They're the same gender.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

With my dyslexia I find poetry hard to read. I can listen to it when read well but there isn't much I enjoy. I may be missing a lot but I don't think I am. I am pleased that others can get pleasure form it.

As a child I watched the BBC's adaptions of Dickens books. They scared me, the way the adults treated the kids. So I have never read a Dickens book.

Boadicea, well she was some woman. One I wouldn't want to wrestle with.

As for Weed, was Weed female or a male with a high pitched voice?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

The way I replicate the wiggly pipes is by using short handrail pillars and 5Amp fusewire, referring to prototype pictures.

The Markits bogie wheels are a scale 3' 2", so they're a tiny bit larger in diameter than the Bachmann ones. However, they don't foul the frames on curves. 

Thanks for your comments, and, as with all contributors, please stay safe.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

in light of the current situation and as I will now have lots of time on my hands I am going to have a go at the wiggly pipework on my models starting with the pair of A2/3’s.

May I please ask you one question as you have already given me information on the materials you use.

Working from a prototype photo do you construct the whole ensemble then fix it to the loco boiler or build it up on the loco boiler piece by piece.

I hope the above question makes sense?

Regards

David.

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

With my dyslexia I find poetry hard to read. I can listen to it when read well but there isn't much I enjoy. I may be missing a lot but I don't think I am. I am pleased that others can get pleasure form it.

As a child I watched the BBC's adaptions of Dickens books. They scared me, the way the adults treated the kids. So I have never read a Dickens book.

I think Weed was a female; or at least looked it. 

It was, of course, a very long time ago.

Regards,

Tony. 

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I doubt very much if anyone nowadays would name a loco 'Gay Crusader'.

No - crusading has certainly gone seriously out of fashion in the last 90 years, though the crusaders' business plan for religious conversion (sword or water - your choice) seems to have caught on with other groups.

Tone

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

in light of the current situation and as I will now have lots of time on my hands I am going to have a go at the wiggly pipework on my models starting with the pair of A2/3’s.

May I please ask you one question as you have already given me information on the materials you use.

Working from a prototype photo do you construct the whole ensemble then fix it to the loco boiler or build it up on the loco boiler piece by piece.

I hope the above question makes sense?

Regards

David.

Good morning David,

What I do is thread some 5Amp fusewire through the handrail pillars (making it longer than required) and solder it in place. Further bits of wire are then soldered to the outside of the pillar (one could broach out the hole so that two lengths of wire will pass through). Then, referring to prototype pictures, drill holes where the pillars will fit into the smokebox sides. Of course, I'm working all in metal, so the internal ends of the pillars are then soldered inside the smokebox (it's important that the smokebox door is left off until all the wiggly pipes are installed). Holes where the ends of the wires go into the smokebox are drilled next. The wires are then 'wiggled' to the correct shape (no two locos appear to have exactly the same arrangement!),  and these are then fixed in place with solder, from the inside. Some wires head towards lubricators, disappear adjacent to outside steampipes and others duck underneath the boiler; all finally fixed with solder. Some, like the top one on the RH side of the smokebox finish at the pillar (I think this is a valve of some kind).

The 'problem' is you're working in plastic. No matter, the soldering of the wires to/through the pillars remains the same. Once suitable holes have been drilled, the pillars can be fixed with runny superglue, as can the ends of the wiggly wires - obviously introduced from the outside. It's axiomatic that this is done with great care to avoid damaging the surface. 

Obviously, on my metal locos, the wiggly pipes are painted with the rest of the loco. For painting the wiggly pipes on a pre-finished model, I use a matt black/brown enamel mixture, applied with a fine sable. In the case of my 60515, all the patch-painting was further covered in weathering. Your 60521 looks beautifully-finished, so take great care. 

I hope all of this makes sense. 

Some examples...........60515.jpg.2feefcffcf77c079a22ae349be1c9f05.jpg

Here's my King/Bachmann A2/3/A2 conversion again. Note the drain pipe dropping down from the rear end of the vacuum ejector; again made from 5Amp fusewire. 

1478194302_6051507.jpg.bc6f566cd1d27a8ba9ec6e92120172e9.jpg

And a DJH equivalent (this one painted by Ian Rathbone). 

1359057076_DJHA2304.jpg.624a2dcc2f9b2e982343d704a35b1894.jpg

And another DJH A2/3. 

All the LNER big engines (and many smaller ones) had the smokebox wiggly pipes. 

632687309_KingCometV260837.jpg.a0d57ca5e2b78a630c3b17a5ce83385c.jpg

446734630_KingCometV260858.jpg.baf46478c40b57beba75fb3f3bb48d21.jpgThese are two King/Comet V2s I made. Obviously, the pillars/wiggly pipes had to be glued in place on these, though, equally-obviously, they were glued in place before the smokebox door was fitted, and before they were painted. 

Those wiggly pipes are really worth putting on.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hollar said:

No - crusading has certainly gone seriously out of fashion in the last 90 years, though the crusaders' business plan for religious conversion (sword or water - your choice) seems to have caught on with other groups.

Tone

The Crusaders were a fine band!

Martyn

Tony,

interesting to see that 60837  was attached to one of the Flared Tenders.Something I was never aware of. Another new day and something new learnt.

I hope you and Mo are keeping safe and well. This equally applies to everyone on RmWeb.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 4

Watch with mother - I remember them well

Picture Book – Mondays, 

Andy Pandy – Tuesdays, 

Flower Pot Men – Wednesdays, 

Rag, Tag and Bobtail – Thursdays, 

The Woodentops – Fridays,

Brit15

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

If I might interrupt, if you want an “easy” access point to poetry may I recommend Richard Burton’s version of Dylan Thomas’ “Under Milkwood”. It is magical and was described as a “play for voices”. A halfway house between a play and poetry. The fact it is risqué in places helps!

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning David,

What I do is thread some 5Amp fusewire through the handrail pillars (making it longer than required) and solder it in place. Further bits of wire are then soldered to the outside of the pillar (one could broach out the hole so that two lengths of wire will pass through). Then, referring to prototype pictures, drill holes where the pillars will fit into the smokebox sides. Of course, I'm working all in metal, so the internal ends of the pillars are then soldered inside the smokebox (it's important that the smokebox door is left off until all the wiggly pipes are installed). Holes where the ends of the wires go into the smokebox are drilled next. The wires are then 'wiggled' to the correct shape (no two locos appear to have exactly the same arrangement!),  and these are then fixed in place with solder, from the inside. Some wires head towards lubricators, disappear adjacent to outside steampipes and others duck underneath the boiler; all finally fixed with solder. Some, like the top one on the RH side of the smokebox finish at the pillar (I think this is a valve of some kind).

The 'problem' is you're working in plastic. No matter, the soldering of the wires to/through the pillars remains the same. Once suitable holes have been drilled, the pillars can be fixed with runny superglue, as can the ends of the wiggly wires - obviously introduced from the outside. It's axiomatic that this is done with great care to avoid damaging the surface. 

Obviously, on my metal locos, the wiggly pipes are painted with the rest of the loco. For painting the wiggly pipes on a pre-finished model, I use a matt black/brown enamel mixture, applied with a fine sable. In the case of my 60515, all the patch-painting was further covered in weathering. Your 60521 looks beautifully-finished, so take great care. 

I hope all of this makes sense. 

Some examples...........60515.jpg.2feefcffcf77c079a22ae349be1c9f05.jpg

Here's my King/Bachmann A2/3/A2 conversion again. Note the drain pipe dropping down from the rear end of the vacuum ejector; again made from 5Amp fusewire. 

1478194302_6051507.jpg.bc6f566cd1d27a8ba9ec6e92120172e9.jpg

And a DJH equivalent (this one painted by Ian Rathbone). 

1359057076_DJHA2304.jpg.624a2dcc2f9b2e982343d704a35b1894.jpg

And another DJH A2/3. 

All the LNER big engines (and many smaller ones) had the smokebox wiggly pipes. 

632687309_KingCometV260837.jpg.a0d57ca5e2b78a630c3b17a5ce83385c.jpg

446734630_KingCometV260858.jpg.baf46478c40b57beba75fb3f3bb48d21.jpgThese are two King/Comet V2s I made. Obviously, the pillars/wiggly pipes had to be glued in place on these, though, equally-obviously, they were glued in place before the smokebox door was fitted, and before they were painted. 

Those wiggly pipes are really worth putting on.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Morning Tony

Thank you for taking the time to respond and inserting some photographic examples which look very good indeed and I do fully understand your reply.

As you have said I will be carrying out these additions to competed model locomotives mainly of plastic construction.

I do have 5am fuse wire and spare small handrail knobs and I know this will not be an easy operation, I have been looking through my railway books to try to obtain the best detailed photos I can get showing the pipework arrangements.

I think I will try a few practise attempts before actually working on any of my model locomotives, I do have a very old B1 that I can also practise on first.

Again many thanks for your help it very much appreciated.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Watch with mother - I remember them well

Picture Book – Mondays, 

Andy Pandy – Tuesdays, 

Flower Pot Men – Wednesdays, 

Rag, Tag and Bobtail – Thursdays, 

The Woodentops – Fridays,

Brit15

I remember 'Tales of the River Bank'. Where did that fit in?

As to locomotive names, surely 'Fireball XL5' would be in there somewhere? Not sure about 'Supercar' though!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Depends whether you remember it in black and white or colour.  The original B&W series was the early 60's when I was too young to watch it (and we didn't have a TV anyway). They made colour episodes in the early 70's by which time I was probably too old to watch and would have been watching Scooby Doo then anyway. 

Graeme

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

As to locomotive names, surely 'Fireball XL5' would be in there somewhere? Not sure about 'Supercar' though!

I think that replaced RT&B which wasn't that long-running. 

Alan 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, D-A-T said:

If I might interrupt, if you want an “easy” access point to poetry may I recommend Richard Burton’s version of Dylan Thomas’ “Under Milkwood”. It is magical and was described as a “play for voices”. A halfway house between a play and poetry. The fact it is risqué in places helps!

Hi D-A-T

It was one of the things we had to study in English. Our school had a record (could have been records) with it on. We had a very enthusiastic teacher who would play a verse then spend the rest of the lesson dissecting it almost word by word. From memory I was bored stiff and couldn't wait for the history lesson to start and learn about the power vacuum that the death of Lenin caused and how Stalin wormed his way to become leader. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi D-A-T

It was one of the things we had to study in English. Our school had a record (could have been records) with it on. We had a very enthusiastic teacher who would play a verse then spend the rest of the lesson dissecting it almost word by word. From memory I was bored stiff and couldn't wait for the history lesson to start and learn about the power vacuum that the death of Lenin caused and how Stalin wormed his way to become leader. 

Snap! But in my case it was Shakespeare.

Just listen for the story not how clever the author is.

"Dissecting" anything ruins it. Schools have a lot to answer for!

It took me decades to discover the magic of Shakespeare.

Sadly the same can not be said for Jane Austen!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Tony,

interesting to see that 60837  was attached to one of the Flared Tenders.Something I was never aware of. Another new day and something new learnt.

I hope you and Mo are keeping safe and well. This equally applies to everyone on RmWeb.

Regards,Derek.

Good morning Derek,

'interesting to see that 60837  was attached to one of the Flared Tenders.Something I was never aware of. Another new day and something new learnt.'

The Book of The V2s, Irwell Press, lower image on P. 87. Whether it retained this type through to withdrawal, I don't know, but it definitely had it in lined black.

We are keeping as safe and well as we can, thank you. I hope you're doing the same.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1