Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 hours ago, PMP said:

I’d suggest only if the words/images are the same or similar to what’s been seen in other magazines. If you’re telling a different story/emphasis then I don’t think it’s overexposed. My Albion Yard layout featured in one way or another in all the contemporary publications BRM/HM/MRJ/MR/RM and Model Railroader. I made sure that each ‘story’ or feature image was different to any previous article, and time separated too.

04BC10D9-E57E-465C-A934-1517CC805335.jpeg.e4c753546610211517aa228b5d02bb2c.jpeg

One pleasing approach was from BRM who ran the article in black and white, to capture the feel of the era BR 50’s-60’s.  I believe there was an occasion a few years back where the same layout and virtually identical words appeared in two magazines within a month of each other. The writer having sent pretty much the same piece to different magazines, which then happened to run the articles almost simultaneously. 

Thanks Paul,

I think the appearance of the same layout in two different magazines has occurred more than once. On one occasion I'd taken a set of pictures, and both editors were very annoyed; not with me, because I was just the happy snapper, but with the author. The articles coincided with an exhibition. 

Obviously, my account of Little Bytham for Hornby Magazine will be different from all the others, though dates and times when things were built will remain constant. Another thing which will remain constant is my mentioning of those who've contributed to the project. Some authors seem to think that isn't always necessary.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think the appearance of the same layout in two different magazines has occurred more than once. On one occasion I'd taken a set of pictures, and both editors were very annoyed; not with me, because I was just the happy snapper, but with the author. The articles coincided with an exhibition. 

A layout of mine appeared in quite a few of the commercial publications some years ago. And I recall that several of the editors chased me down requesting a feature even though it had already appeared in a different magazine - I didn't instigate them all.

For each I wrote a fresh new article with a different emphasis/angle/story about the layout and each had a unique set of photographs, some of them by different photographers that the magazine arranged. I certainly didn't submit the same article and photos to any number of them.

However, all the news agencies, newspapers and media sources carry the same news articles everyday and some with even the same syndicated photo. Perhaps a newly launched layout or model project could be considered the same and be of interest to all the model railway publications. I doubt they'd want to miss out.

Edited by grahame
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, robmcg said:

I have a feeling Tony that this is a bit of a golden age for RTR steam-age esoteria like the W1 and Coronation Scot.

The market may shrink, certainly it will change in its subtleties, and model making will continue.

In the meantime I do like this RTR stuff, personally. I just bought this...

Britain's most powerful steam express locomotive, ever.  Just ask O S Nock.

10000_W1l_portrait50_2a_r2080a.jpg.10cd4db48a3704a0678044d1ccbfe329.jpg

I'm approaching 60 now and ever since I can remember, people have been predicting that the market for steam would shrink, yet here we are 50 years later with steam still hugely popular.

Mind you I've also heard the same people predicting the death of the hobby because of an ever increasing age demographic, yet that hasn't happened either. :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I'm approaching 60 now and ever since I can remember, people have been predicting that the market for steam would shrink, yet here we are 50 years later with steam still hugely popular.

Mind you I've also heard the same people predicting the death of the hobby because of an ever increasing age demographic, yet that hasn't happened either. :D

Whether or not the total numbers with an interest is changing currently* I don’t know but the changing demographic of the current crop of modellers/enthusiasts is impacting on sections of the hobby. The newcomers are interacting with society in very different ways to just the traditional, this societal change may not kill the hobby overall but may well lead to the death of some parts of it as time progresses.

* I suspect the big sea change was back in the 70s and 80s.

Edited by john new
Omitted word.
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The first time I heard this sort of thing was in 1962.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

14 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The first time I heard this sort of thing was in 1962.....

I remember looking back through someone's collection of the RM & MRC and these predictions were certainly being made in the 1950's. I wouldn't mind betting they went back further.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I am predominantly a BR Blue era modeller, but I am building a small amout of non BR Blue/Preservation stock.

Mainly because I did not see it but can see remains of what was there.

Not a lot but it stretches the hobby.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, john new said:

Whether or not the total numbers with an interest is changing currently* I don’t know but the changing demographic of the current crop of modellers/enthusiasts is impacting on sections of the hobby. The newcomers are interacting with society in very different ways to just the traditional, this societal change may not kill the hobby overall but may well lead to the death of some parts of it as time progresses.

* I suspect the big sea change was back in the 70s and 80s.

I think the biggest sea change in the hobby is as a result of both the huge improvement in modern rtr detail wise, and the abolition of practical workshop lessons in schools. These are almost certainly attributed to the decline of people actually making things for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I once fell foul of the "duplicated" articles problem. I had written an article for a magazine and it had pretty much disappeared into a black hole. There was no sign of it ever being published and I thought it had been quietly forgotten.

Then, several years later, I was asked to write an article on the same layout for another magazine. I had almost forgotten that I had written the first one by that stage.

The article and the photos were all new but I was a bit surprised when the new article in the second magazine appeared within a few weeks of the original "lost" article being published.

There are some people who may only buy one or two magazines so they may have only seen the layout once but I did feel a bit for those who purchased both and saw the same layout in them.

I think if the author has something new to say, or the layout has been altered, or there are some new photographs that show previously unseen views, then a layout can stand multiple articles.

Trying to find a new "angle" or a new, previously untold, part of the story of the layout is part of the challenge that a good writer should be able to rise to. It is where the "all rounder" modeller perhaps has an advantage as there are possibly more subject areas that they can write about.

• Agree 2

I think the 'death' of the hobby has been predicted for many years (wasn't Scalextric's introduction supposed to kill off railway modelling?).

At the moment, considering how many new and exciting products are appearing (with the exception of traditional loco kits), one could say 'we've never had it so good'. 

However, I have concerns for the next, say, half-decade. Up to two years ago I'd never heard of shows finishing (forever) because the (club) members who staged them were either too old, too infirm or (probably) both. This has nothing to do with Covid, but three I regularly attended are no more. 

I'm a member of three model railway clubs and the average age of members is 'beyond retirement'. I don't mean early-retirement, either - no late-60s at best, or into the 70s. Natural mortality means inevitably that these clubs have not long to go. Yes, one has a few youth members, but they're a tiny percentage of the overall number. 

Clubs have always had a 'senior' section, but not exclusively. When I joined WMRC in 1973, at 27 I was just below the average age of the membership. Now, nearly 50 years later, I'm just above. I'm well below that of one of my other clubs.

I know the hobby is not just about clubs, but they've been the core of exhibitions down the years. I'm told even the Warley Club is struggling to find enough 'fit' volunteers to run the show. 

Will the hobby survive without shows? It probably needed fewer, anyway, and I think it will. However, it'll become more niche, if nothing else because entry level prices for things are now probably way beyond many youthful beginners' pockets.

As for (loco) kits; as Micklner has asked, what's a price now, complete? I honestly don't know because I haven't looked of late, but a big DJH one must be well the wrong side of £300.00. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I once fell foul of the "duplicated" articles problem. I had written an article for a magazine and it had pretty much disappeared into a black hole. There was no sign of it ever being published and I thought it had been quietly forgotten.

Then, several years later, I was asked to write an article on the same layout for another magazine. I had almost forgotten that I had written the first one by that stage.

The article and the photos were all new but I was a bit surprised when the new article in the second magazine appeared within a few weeks of the original "lost" article being published.

There are some people who may only buy one or two magazines so they may have only seen the layout once but I did feel a bit for those who purchased both and saw the same layout in them.

I think if the author has something new to say, or the layout has been altered, or there are some new photographs that show previously unseen views, then a layout can stand multiple articles.

Trying to find a new "angle" or a new, previously untold, part of the story of the layout is part of the challenge that a good writer should be able to rise to. It is where the "all rounder" modeller perhaps has an advantage as there are possibly more subject areas that they can write about.

An interesting (as always) post, Tony.

Many thanks. 

I've been puzzling how to write something 'new' about Little Bytham for Hornby Magazine. I don't think 'new' photographs will be a problem, because I'm sure Mike Wild will find some very different views. In that respect, it'll be better to have someone else photograph it, since all my previous submissions have been illustrated by me. 

I think the 'basic framework' will probably be around the same 'aims and objectives', which were established when the layout was planned. I can't alter these - they are what they are; a model of an actual prototype, as near to 'scale' as possible, the subject matter being an ECML depiction in OO (yes, I know, it should have been in EM, but I didn't take the right(eous) path I should have done over 40 years ago) of my trainspotting heydays between 1956 and 1962, to be built by a highly-experienced team of modellers, pooling resources and working together by helping each other as well, my responsibilities being the construction of much of the scenery, making some of the buildings/structures, doing a lot of the wiring, laying all the fiddle yard(s') track, making (most of) the locomotives, making/modifying (most of) the passenger rolling stock and ensuring that it works well at all times (allowing for my operating incompetence!). 

I hope I'll be able to find something to write about in a different way.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Paul,

Obviously, my account of Little Bytham for Hornby Magazine will be different from all the others, though dates and times when things were built will remain constant. Another thing which will remain constant is my mentioning of those who've contributed to the project. Some authors seem to think that isn't always necessary.

Regards,

Tony. 

London Road appeared in MRJ and RM in the same year. I wrote different articles , to reflect on what I perceived as different audiences. The pictures were by different photographers with different techniques and appeared in what I would call different "house styles".

17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think the 'death' of the hobby has been predicted for many years (wasn't Scalextric's introduction supposed to kill off railway modelling?).

At the moment, considering how many new and exciting products are appearing (with the exception of traditional loco kits), one could say 'we've never had it so good'. 

However, I have concerns for the next, say, half-decade. Up to two years ago I'd never heard of shows finishing (forever) because the (club) members who staged them were either too old, too infirm or (probably) both. This has nothing to do with Covid, but three I regularly attended are no more. 

I'm a member of three model railway clubs and the average age of members is 'beyond retirement'. I don't mean early-retirement, either - no late-60s at best, or into the 70s. Natural mortality means inevitably that these clubs have not long to go. Yes, one has a few youth members, but they're a tiny percentage of the overall number. 

Clubs have always had a 'senior' section, but not exclusively. When I joined WMRC in 1973, at 27 I was just below the average age of the membership. Now, nearly 50 years later, I'm just above. I'm well below that of one of my other clubs.

I know the hobby is not just about clubs, but they've been the core of exhibitions down the years. I'm told even the Warley Club is struggling to find enough 'fit' volunteers to run the show. 

Will the hobby survive without shows? It probably needed fewer, anyway, and I think it will. However, it'll become more niche, if nothing else because entry level prices for things are now probably way beyond many youthful beginners' pockets.

As for (loco) kits; as Micklner has asked, what's a price now, complete? I honestly don't know because I haven't looked of late, but a big DJH one must be well the wrong side of £300.00. 

New kits are appearing but possibly what might not be considered in traditional formats. However, they tend to be of less mainstream locos which have have probably already been done or overtaken by the wider choice of RTR models. At the same time the reintroduction of some older but updated kit ranges such as NuCast indicates that there is still demand for such models. Kits tended to be more expensive, with all the bits needed to complete but RTR is catching up and may even have overtaken in some cases.

The new LNWR/LMS Precedent retails at £220, an etched kit for the same with worst case priced items (Markit wheels, HL gearbox and coreless motor) is £206. Popular wheels and motor have become notably more expensive but there are cheaper options that would reduce that pricing to about £170.00. However, the quality of new RTR models , while attracting people to more niche products, is also deterring people from making there own models as they can't replicate those standards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks. 

I've been puzzling how to write something 'new' about Little Bytham for Hornby Magazine. I don't think 'new' photographs will be a problem, because I'm sure Mike Wild will find some very different views. In that respect, it'll be better to have someone else photograph it, since all my previous submissions have been illustrated by me. 

I think the 'basic framework' will probably be around the same 'aims and objectives', which were established when the layout was planned. I can't alter these - they are what they are; a model of an actual prototype, as near to 'scale' as possible, the subject matter being an ECML depiction in OO (yes, I know, it should have been in EM, but I didn't take the right(eous) path I should have done over 40 years ago) of my trainspotting heydays between 1956 and 1962, to be built by a highly-experienced team of modellers, pooling resources and working together by helping each other as well, my responsibilities being the construction of much of the scenery, making some of the buildings/structures, doing a lot of the wiring, laying all the fiddle yard(s') track, making (most of) the locomotives, making/modifying (most of) the passenger rolling stock and ensuring that it works well at all times (allowing for my operating incompetence!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

It's not just Model Railway Clubs that have declining memberships and/or are being forced to close. I think people are just a lot less interested in joining a club these days, preferring the Internet & magazines to actually indulging in any form of group activity. Several clubs of all kinds of activity in my area have ceased to exist in the last few years.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

It's not just Model Railway Clubs that have declining memberships and/or are being forced to close. I think people are just a lot less interested in joining a club these days, preferring the Internet & magazines to actually indulging in any form of group activity. Several clubs of all kinds of activity in my area have ceased to exist in the last few years.

Fully concur. It is not just railways model/club talks etc., but other areas where there has always been supplementary volunteering (dance schools etc.) - the kids still want the classes but far less parental volunteering occurs so their shows, the school's attendance at dance festivals falls away too. Lack of volunteering for club officer positions/too old for manual labour volunteering is highlighting this issue.

In my own case even if I wanted to participate in their current club projects it is 7 miles each way to either of the nearest mod-rly clubs and the next band out are both further away at around an hour each way (Bridport, Yeovil or one of the Poole/Bournemouth area clubs). That wouldn't have bothered me 10 years ago, I often did longer runs to SLS meetings, but is not something I want to regularly do any more on a dark winter evening. Still active in the SLS but no longer do the non-Zoom meetings as all too far away. Same with taking Society show stands on the road - physically too demanding now to be enjoyable at 69.

Edited by john new
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

How about something on the train formations you operate on the layout. I would have thought valuable information as bound to be as the prototype. Hornby have done that for RTR in their magazines, however something quite new if it includes kit built and modified RTR.

Example below of how Hornby magazine lay the information out

Dave

image.png.ab33e734dc867d05a67df6b1ba6eaeab.png

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Tony

How about something on the train formations you operate on the layout. I would have thought valuable information as bound to be as the prototype. Hornby have done that for RTR in their magazines, however something quite new if it includes kit built and modified RTR.

Example below of how Hornby magazine lay the information out

Dave

image.png.ab33e734dc867d05a67df6b1ba6eaeab.png

I'd definitely read that. I found myself totally absorbed in looking at the trains on LB when I visited, though I couldn't really take it all in. LB and its trains really are superb.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been a member of a model railway club (as opposed to a Gauge or Interest related Society - I am in several of those) for many years now. The clubs I was associated with became more about arguing and scoring points over each other than anything else. It became all about ego and who was "the best". That put many off coming until it dwindled and folded.

To me, a good model railway club serves several purposes. One is purely social. A chance to meet, chat with and exchange banter with people who have a shared interest. Then there is the modelling side, perhaps building and exhibiting club layouts. Thirdly, there is the opportunity to learn from those with greater skill and experience, or if you are one of those with the greater skill and experience, the opportunity to pass it on to others and help them develop their skills.

In many respects, the internet forum, such as RMWeb, can do some of these things without the need to ever leave a comfy chair and go out on a cold winter evening!

In some respect, our little "gang" is a bit like a very informal model railway club. We meet up (when allowed to), we help each other out, sometimes we work on a project together. There are other informal groups like ours that I know of, so maybe that is the new "club" set up.

I don't feel that the collective "we" of our generation have any great responsibility for what happens in the future of the hobby. If the numbers wanting to build model railways in the future is tiny, or none, it matters little. It is a past-time or hobby and they come and go all the time. I have seen people write that we need to encourage youngsters to take up the hobby but I don't see why we should. There is nothing that I see on the real railways nowadays that would have made me become a railway enthusiast if I was starting now, so why should I expect others to take an interest?

The only thing that really matters is that we enjoy ourselves while we can.    

Edited by t-b-g
typo
  • Like 9
  • Agree 8

16 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Locomotive Coal

My coal, both for locomotives and wagon-loads, comes from my present garden, and my last one.

Both properties are in what were County Durham pit villages.

I also have a lump or two picked up on Northumberland beaches. (The meaning of 'seacoal' has changed a bit over the centuries.)

Although this may well be 'steam coal', I have not heard of West Durham coal being used for main-line locomotive purposes.

The NER negotiated it's coal supply carefully, although I am not sure how it accounted for it's transport costs relative to the pit-head price.

I have never read about how the LNER/NEA managed it's coal supplies.

I think (can find reference if required) that the NER/NEA used coal from Ryton Main for locomotive testing, as in the comparisons of 4-4-2s in the 1920s.

This was probably a great treat for the NBR engines!

In loading tenders/vehicles I use either PVA or 'superglue', but I prefer something which does not dry matt. I like some surfaces to catch the light!

I do try to vary tender loads. Some are full, as if newly coaled, and some are getting a bit empty!

It doesn't seem to be my day for taking pictures, (I will try to replace these tomorrow)  Apologies for poor photography, but here are two Q6s, one from South Shields and built in Durham, and one from China  and modified in Durham!

Annoying that someone has obscured the window glass!

Post_01.jpg.3f74656d781eb6608c71f1b077bebc74.jpg

Post_02.jpg.7a4ccbb78c7f4ce4c088d050ff80d25d.jpg

Interesting article . All i would say is in my time in the 50s/60s I can't ever remember tenders being empty of coal at the back .. They would always be topped up long before that . It's a different matter these days in preservation days . I often see on models these days tenders with coal loaded just at the front end and it don't look right to me .

Regards , Roy.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Tony,

there are worst things than death apparently, even for a hobby?

8 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Wagons - from kits, RtR, and an occasional scratch build

The thing about freight and mineral vehicles is that I like building them!

A truck makes a convenient little project which is good for cheering up if one is stuck on something else.

I am surprised that the RTR companies haven't provided more reasonably authentic models, (especially LMS fitted vans), but that doesn't matter to me because it gives me more to make.

Below are some examples:-

Bachmann/Mainline have used a 3 plank dropside moulding for years, sometimes with LMS branding and sometimes with LNER. For some reason both Mainline and Bachmann produced versions of this moulding lettered for the NE and numbered 535962. This can only be the ex-GC vehicle drawn on Page 10 of Peter Tatlow's 'LNER Wagons - an illustrated overview' and shown in more detail on Page 107 of his 'LNER Wagons - Volume 1'.

So, since I needed a subject for experimenting with scratchbuilding an open-sided vehicle, here is the 'real' 535962, complete with lifting-link brakegear.

Post_03.jpg.0b3482f2f398b26fb2ca5cf21f5b8a28.jpg

One can, of course use the RTR moulding with a revised/replaced underframe

Post_04.jpg.b7f0a7271c854ae126bfd9cf6cd82520.jpg

Or one can kit-build (but spot the RTR)

Post_05.jpg.252372b983ab2ee21c6aaea0d9cb058e.jpg

A few years ago I started work on what was supposed to be a train of 16 ton steel mineral wagons (and this is, of-course, pre-nationalisation.)

Post_06.jpg.d09fc774bfcd075049a6474b5e71877b.jpg

Post_07.jpg.38552451f2fbb8a9d1226d8db5d9de2e.jpg

These are a mixture of MoWT, MOT, LMS, and LNER wagons.

They are sourced from kits, newer RTR, old RTR reduced in length and with replacement underframes. They aren't all correct, not enough have pressed-steel doors.

The locomotive is an 04/8, made from O4 Bachmann 'works' and tender, and an old Replica B1 body.

The Brake Van is an (modified) Dapol kit.

Behind in the storage sidings you can see my (empty) train of fitted cattle wagons.

If ever one is stuck, one can always build a truck!

Inspiring stuff, the  creative future of the hobby, outside scenery and infrastructure, may lie with the humble goods wagon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the biggest sea change in the hobby is as a result of both the huge improvement in modern rtr detail wise, and the abolition of practical workshop lessons in schools. These are almost certainly attributed to the decline of people actually making things for themselves.

Good afternoon Denbridge,

I don't buy the abolition of practical workshop lessons myself. Back in the day, when workshop lessons were a thing, many a hobbyist just collected kits, now they collect RTR instead. I cant say woodwork, metalwork or any other form of school work had much effect on my own railway modeling.

• Agree 3