Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Good Morning Nelson,

The Fowler tank is a highly modified Hornby original using a Comet Chassis and valve gear and the conversion kit to Limousine Cab was from Crownline.

Unfortunately I don't think you can get Crownline kits anymore,,, but looking at an RMweb thread ealier which was "what happened to crownline" it appears one of the guy's from Crownline is now PDK kits and he took some of the old Crownline kits with him,,, I don't know if the Fowler is one of them.

Crownline kits do appear quite regularly on ebay in fact there are a couple of original Fowler without the lime cabs on at the moment.

The conversions were interesting and entertaining,, especially the drawings of where all the bits went,, long before the days of computer graphics but they worked for me.

Many thanks for your interest in the model.

SAD :sadclear:

Alan,

Many thanks indeed.

I enjoyed the day immensely, and many thanks to you and the others for your hospitality at the pub.

The things you guys brought yesterday are examples of what (to me) locomotive building is all about. Modified/weathered proprietary items, kit-built items and (the ultimate) a scratch-built item. You've had a go, should take great pride in your work and rejoice in the exceptional running of your stock. You are all doers, not commissioners! 

Tony,

Many thanks for Friday and being allowed to play with your wonderful train set!!!

Even more thanks for your kind comments on what we brought with us.

I know I was decidedly chuffed to watch a couple of my 4-4-0's holding their own & gliding through your lovely pointwork.

An inspirational day and although in my opinion the word "quality" is very overworked, especially by the media, on some occasions it is very fitting.

Many thanks to Mo for the copious quantities of refreshments,,,, what a wonderful day out!!

SAD  :sadclear: and everyone at Salmon Pastures.

Edited by salmonpastures
  • Like 1

Hi, Clive please bear with me this is my first post . With reference to the Southern 350 the kit was from Golden Arrow a few years ago designed to fit a

Lima O8. After modification I managed to use a Bachman 08 although now I believe the kit is available for both makes of 08

best regards David Orton

Edited by southerner49

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Clive please bear with me this is my first post . With reference to the Southern 350 the kit was from Golden Arrow a few years ago designed to fit a

Lima O8. After modification I managed to use a Bachman 08 although now I believe the kit is available for both makes of 08

best regards David Orton

Hi David

Thank you for the information on the SR 350. Mine is scratchbuilt from plastic card, the cab is not quite the correct as it has been designed to fit around a Wrenn chassis.

@ westerner, can i please ask where did you get the brass side tanks for your Hornby fowler? I could use some for a future project.

Nelson,

I was just going through my pics file looking for something and found a pic of the Fowler before paint,,, it shows what you get/got in the Crownline kit from a side on perspective.

Regards,

SAD :sadclear: post-3458-0-97721700-1413743568_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely pictures of lovely locos. I've been sinfully covetous of that D9 ever since I first saw a picture of it and the D2 looks as if it will be just as good.

One small thing, though, if I may? I know we all have our particular pet hates or things which jar - loco lamps for some, missing/incorrect/non-working signals for others, flat bottom instead of bullhead rail. One of mine is the first wagon in that goods consist. I'll leave you to read what it says on the side.

• Like 1

@ westerner, can i please ask where did you get the brass side tanks for your Hornby fowler? I could use some for a future project.

Hi Nelson

If you can't get the Crownline bits there may be an alternative for the sides, quite a while ago I conatcted Rod Neep of Perseverance with the view to having the parts done for this type of later cab Fowler, I'm not sure, but, I think these sides can still be obtained from Puffers in Pickering.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning Nelson,

The Fowler tank is a highly modified Hornby original using a Comet Chassis and valve gear and the conversion kit to Limousine Cab was from Crownline.

Unfortunately I don't think you can get Crownline kits anymore,,, but looking at an RMweb thread ealier which was "what happened to crownline" it appears one of the guy's from Crownline is now PDK kits and he took some of the old Crownline kits with him,,, I don't know if the Fowler is one of them.

Crownline kits do appear quite regularly on ebay in fact there are a couple of original Fowler without the lime cabs on at the moment.

The conversions were interesting and entertaining,, especially the drawings of where all the bits went,, long before the days of computer graphics but they worked for me.

Many thanks for your interest in the model.

You can get a limousine cab conversion set from Judith Edge kits now.

.... I don't think you can get Crownline kits anymore,,, but looking at an RMweb thread ealier which was "what happened to crownline" it appears one of the guy's from Crownline is now PDK kits and he took some of the old Crownline kits with him,,, I don't know if the Fowler is one of them.....

It isn't. The Fowler 2-6-4T variants died when Crownline finally went to the grave. Paul Hill, who is now PDK (which came into being after Dave King decided retirement post-Crownline was boring!), hasn't made any plans to bring them back.

Lovely pictures of lovely locos. I've been sinfully covetous of that D9 ever since I first saw a picture of it and the D2 looks as if it will be just as good.

Many thanks Jonathan,, they will both be coming to the Ely show next year,,, and I'm making no promises but I'll try to get them both finished,,, and maybe even painted!!!.

I know I'm repeating an earlier message but many many nights in a poorly heated shed all became worthwhile when they behaved at Little Bytham on Friday.

You suddenly remember why we all do what we do,,,, and as they did behave I can now say I find it all very therapeutic and extremely enjoyable,,, even the tingle-finger.

It won't be long before the shed is freezing again and I'm out there like some Siberian Yeti doing it all again,,, only this time it will be a Robinson L1 Crab/Zeppelin

Nelson,,,, good news,,,, the benefits of the web jump out and hit us again,,,, it looks as though you might be able to get a Fowler with the Limo-Cab!!

• Like 1

One small thing, though, if I may? I know we all have our particular pet hates or things which jar - loco lamps for some, missing/incorrect/non-working signals for others, flat bottom instead of bullhead rail. One of mine is the first wagon in that goods consist. I'll leave you to read what it says on the side.

Jonathan,

Does it say LOWFIT? If so, does that mean that the load should be low? If that's the case, that container is obviously wrong.

Please, might I offer a defence, M'lud? Though the wagon is 'mine', in every other sense it isn't. It was originally provided by a friend. On the day, because of coupling incompatibilities, it was grabbed 'from stock', being the first to hand with a tension-lock facility. For all I know, I might well have shoved the container on because the train was travelling Up, and an unloaded wagon would be highly unlikely in the consist. 

Still, in the rules of my being a zealot, I'll remove it tomorrow. At least a Pannier, 2-6-2T, 38XX, D63XX and the like are the most appropriate motive power for a fully-fitted express freight travelling south through Little Bytham!

If it doesn't say LOWFIT, what does it say, because my eyesight isn't as good as it was................?

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan,

Does it say LOWFIT? If so, does that mean that the load should be low? If that's the case, that container is obviously wrong.

Please, might I offer a defence, M'lud? Though the wagon is 'mine', in every other sense it isn't. It was originally provided by a friend. On the day, because of coupling incompatibilities, it was grabbed 'from stock', being the first to hand with a tension-lock facility. For all I know, I might well have shoved the container on because the train was travelling Up, and an unloaded wagon would be highly unlikely in the consist. 

Still, in the rules of my being a zealot, I'll remove it tomorrow. At least a Pannier, 2-6-2T, 38XX, D63XX and the like are the most appropriate motive power for a fully-fitted express freight travelling south through Little Bytham!

If it doesn't say LOWFIT, what does it say, because my eyesight isn't as good as it was................?

What's wrong with having a container in a Lowfit (or even in a Hyfit)?  They were sometimes used for containers when Conflats weren't available although that could sometimes cause a few headaches if someone wanted to empty the container while it was still on the wagon (yes, that did happen) and of course Lowfits were branded 'Not To be Used For Containers' but who would take any notice of that when you haven't got a Conflat?  

Now if I knew what year the train was supposedly running in and if the Lowfit had been empty - well that would have been a different story entirely ;)

Hi Nelson

If you can't get the Crownline bits there may be an alternative for the sides, quite a while ago I conatcted Rod Neep of Perseverance with the view to having the parts done for this type of later cab Fowler, I'm not sure, but, I think these sides can still be obtained from Puffers in Pickering.

Ian

Don't know how long ago you are referring to Ian but there was such a Perseverance etch and it must be twenty five years ago since I did a conversion with one. Just for historical interest, prior to that Perseverance had a kit based around precut plasticard parts with which you rebuilt the Hornby cab. The tanks were left untouched and, so, were rivet less.

I've got one lying around somewhere as the etched option became available before I did the conversion so I never used it.

Edited by Arthur

Hi jrg1

Thankyou for the welcome comments re the Stroudley. The origin of the kit was Gem bought on Ebay complete with basic chassis and XT60 motor minus wheels and instructions. It was just one of those kits you feel you have to rescue, a little research, photos, wheels and the invaluable scrap box made this loco very cheap and most enjoyable.

Now I have retired let the painting commence!!

regards  David

• Like 1

Hi jrg1

Thankyou for the welcome comments re the Stroudley. The origin of the kit was Gem bought on Ebay complete with basic chassis and XT60 motor minus wheels and instructions. It was just one of those kits you feel you have to rescue, a little research, photos, wheels and the invaluable scrap box made this loco very cheap and most enjoyable.

Now I have retired let the painting commence!!

regards  David

Hi David

I take the opportunity to congratulate you on your workmanship.  Apart from the fact that GEM belong to another, more primitive era, the detailing of a model is what sets it apart.  The pipe/wirework/detailing is pitch perfect-I would be interested in any description, especially of the handrail bending, as I usually make a mes in this area.  A delightful photograph of an unusual prototype.  I look forward to seeing it painted and finished.

Regards John

Tony,

The wagon is a LOWFIT, and just to the right of that it is branded 'Not To Be Used For Containers'. I gather the reason was that if the load was offcentre it could be out of gauge, LNER Conflats having low side plates to guide the container into the centre of the vehicle.

Mike is quite right that the instruction was ignored (there's at least one picture, can't recall where) but it would need to be roped and/or chocked so it couldn't slide sideways. The equivalent LMS vehicle, the unfitted D 1986, was also used for containers before nationalisation but then acquired the same branding.

What you say about the wagon being empty reminds me of something else - like you, I generally follow the 'full wagons Up, empties Down' rule. Reading up on containers and traffic while researching for Grantham, I find that most LNER containers in the early years loaded from the Southern Area (the former GNR) in a northerly direction. That information is in an excellent LNER Society publication on goods traffic. Not that it makes any visible difference to containers and by 1957 things may have changed but the point interested me.

SAD, I'm delighted Malcolm has invited you to our show. I wasn't planning to come down next year but I feel I may have to change those plans, especially if there's a Zeppelin in the offing.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

SAD, I'm delighted Malcolm has invited you to our show. I wasn't planning to come down next year but I feel I may have to change those plans, especially if there's a Zeppelin in the offing.

Jonathan,,, you really need to know that I do my scratch building at a very leisurely pace!!!! in fact probably too leisurely,, Valour has recently had it's first coat of primer applied and I started that in Jeddah in 1982!!!! Now I'm almost retired however I do find I have more time to enjoy myself in the shed.

Lets pray for a mild winter!!!!

Ref The Zeppelin,,, so far I have the frames cut out and have a folder full of pics and 3 versions of a decent drawing to work from and most importantly am full of enthusiasm,, but to be realistic it will probably be at Ely but I doubt it will be "finished"

Mind you to tempt you to come I am "hoping" the D2, D9 & Valour will be finished.

Regards,

• Like 3

Tony,

The wagon is a LOWFIT, and just to the right of that it is branded 'Not To Be Used For Containers'. I gather the reason was that if the load was offcentre it could be out of gauge, LNER Conflats having low side plates to guide the container into the centre of the vehicle.

Mike is quite right that the instruction was ignored (there's at least one picture, can't recall where) but it would need to be roped and/or chocked so it couldn't slide sideways. The equivalent LMS vehicle, the unfitted D 1986, was also used for containers before nationalisation but then acquired the same branding.

What you say about the wagon being empty reminds me of something else - like you, I generally follow the 'full wagons Up, empties Down' rule. Reading up on containers and traffic while researching for Grantham, I find that most LNER containers in the early years loaded from the Southern Area (the former GNR) in a northerly direction. That information is in an excellent LNER Society publication on goods traffic. Not that it makes any visible difference to containers and by 1957 things may have changed but the point interested me.

And - for maximum pedantry - to home on the 'FIT' part of LOWFIT for a second, shouldn't it have vac. pipes and the tie bar between the axle boxes? (the brakes being of the 4 shoe push variety) :unsure: