Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

lots of mums, very huggy and furious arguments about minutiae and esoterica

pretty much the same as RMWeb.

if you want REAL arguments, check out PPRUNE - there are vitriolic thread wars on there going back generations.

Indeed - PPRUNE has to be bun-fight central!!!

Mix a bunch of wannabees/knowitalls with professionals not exactly known for their discretion in voicing their opinion on their topic and it becomes incendiary at almost every turn :O

At least here we're just discussing a hobby - and even then I'm amazed at how hot-under-the-collar some folks get :jester: best to avoid saying you're playing with your train set :senile:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

Tony I have been a photographer for a very long time, railways, press, magazines, candid, 'street', you name it, and sometimes I come across a portrait which has all the elements of 'the critical moment',  taken by Jeff at LB last weekend,   I think it is a superb photograph, says a lot about the laughter, pleasure, seriousness and marvellous nature of your creation    thank you,  and I think your camera is lovely too , I'm jealous as I exchanged my many Canon lenses and a camera for help in shifting after the Christchurch earthquake in NZ in 2011. 

This photo by Physicsman 'gets' what I imagine is some sort of Little Bytham reality, and your good self, I hope.

post-7929-0-12547200-1412716273_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Rob

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

Apologies for slipping one in here (no smutty thoughts please). Progress pictures of models of locos that really ought to have run through Little Bytham far more in their original forms.....

post-3445-0-36969600-1412721219_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-74450400-1412721245_thumb.jpg

It turns out that the Hornby or GBL A4 front, with altered upper slope and marginally repositioned chimney (which will require restyling and extending later) suits the P2 requirement very nicely. It fits over the chassis weight without a hitch.

• Like 10

Is there a response button for 'beautiful'?        Nice to see the potential for the A4 front working, too.

I can just see a wartime express with such an engine thundering through the night....!  

Great work.

Rob

Apologies for slipping one in here (no smutty thoughts please). Progress pictures of models of locos that really ought to have run through Little Bytham far more in their original forms.....

attachicon.gifSTA79669.JPGattachicon.gifSTA79667.JPG

It turns out that the Hornby or GBL A4 front, with altered upper slope and marginally repositioned chimney (which will require restyling and extending later) suits the P2 requirement very nicely. It fits over the chassis weight without a hitch.

I really wish ET hadn't meddled... 

Stunning work Mr King

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSTA79669.JPGattachicon.gifSTA79667.JPG

Hi Grahame

All you need to do now is the one with the bigger firebox/cumbustion chamber or whatever it was then you have the 4 variants of the LNER "standard" class of 5 locos. :) :)

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Tony I have been a photographer for a very long time, railways, press, magazines, candid, 'street', you name it, and sometimes I come across a portrait which has all the elements of 'the critical moment',  taken by Jeff at LB last weekend,   I think it is a superb photograph, says a lot about the laughter, pleasure, seriousness and marvellous nature of your creation    thank you,  and I think your camera is lovely too , I'm jealous as I exchanged my many Canon lenses and a camera for help in shifting after the Christchurch earthquake in NZ in 2011. 

This photo by Physicsman 'gets' what I imagine is some sort of Little Bytham reality, and your good self, I hope.

attachicon.gifz_post-13778-0-33558000-1412677499a.jpg

cheers,

Rob

typo edit

Many thanks Rob,

I'm delighted with your observations, but I would disagree in one small way with your use of 'your'. You're right that, in a legal sense, the layout is my property but the statement also carries the implication (to me) that it is all my work. It isn't, by any means. Ian Wilson (in the background of the picture) has done a huge amount with regard to the planning and the making of the buildings, and the list of the other contributors is very long indeed. 

I think it's vital that the expertise of others (far more capable than I am) is continuously acknowledged and credited.

• Like 7

Yesterday I had the great pleasure of visiting an old mate in the dear old North Riding (actually Tees-side now but neither of us recognise 1974!) to photograph his layout in a garden. 

Since the discussions about 'selective compression' have taken place, this layout set me thinking of what one might do if there were not enough space indoors. Build outside, where 40 x 30-odd feet is not an issue and neither are tight curves.

Yes, it's seasonal thing and next week it'll all be taken down for winter storage. But, the Peco Code 100 stands up well, all joints are hard-bonded and it's great to watch scale-length trains disappearing into the distance. Suspension of disbelief I think it's called, and it's great fun. It also works exceptionally well. 

Photographing it was easy (the Lord's light, with a bit of fill-in flash), though to make the scenes more 'realistic' I'll do some Photoshopping, but not on every one. 

Any thoughts?

post-18225-0-28659600-1412797362_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-51393800-1412797344_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-46682000-1412797328_thumb.jpg

A description will appear in the spring of next year in BRM.

• Like 12

Hi Tony

Must admit i like the idea of an outdoor layout myself. Not sure if i would want the hassle of clearing it away every winter although i suppose the thought of scale length trains running off into the distance and no tight curves would be an advantage. Glad the weather held out for you. Nice photos looking forward to reading about it soon.

Geoff

Sorry, but it somehow doesn't quite work for me.

I'd be interesting if it were illuminated, so that beyond the railway platforms there was darkness. I think that'd make it something special.

Just my opinion of course; to each their own.

No need to apologise; as you say, to each their own.

I think what appeals to me about the layout is how my mate has solved the problem of getting enough space. He lives in a modern semi-detached 'estate' house, has a garage full of motorcycles (and bits) with an extension for his fiddle yard. No indoor space for even a smallish railway in other words.

Though clearly it's not as 'comfortable' as an indoor layout (though on a balmy summer's evening with a glass of favourite plonk to watch scale-length ECML expresses go by - well), it does allow him to partly relive his memories. 

Though the two locos in the pictures are modified RTR, the majority of the locos and stock he's made himself (from kits or scratch), including a pair of outstanding breakdown trains. I think that is meritorious in itself. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

As promised, pictures of the two crane trains running on the outdoor layout I photographed this week.

post-18225-0-31306700-1412932801_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-47722100-1412932819_thumb.jpg

I'll ask about their origins but I think the larger crane uses some Hornby parts (with a lot of scratch-building) and is representative of the Peterborough breakdown train. The ancillary vehicles are built from kits or scratch.

The NE-based one is from a D&S kit (I think) and represents part of a track-lifting train. Again, I think the ancillary wagons are kits and scratch-building.

I'll post some more details when I know.

• Like 13

Those two Engineers' trains are beautiful.  I think I recognise some elements of them, but I shall be interested to know the rest.

In the first one the leading van is ex-ECJS (D & S) and the 4 wheel van is GN (D & S again).  The trailing saloon I'm not familiar with.

The second one has an ex-NER D 171 van at the rear (D & S or John Fozard).  If the crane is D & S then he's done a great deal to it or not used very much of the kit.  It's a lovely job.

Yesterday I had the great pleasure of visiting an old mate in the dear old North Riding (actually Tees-side now but neither of us recognise 1974!) to photograph his layout in a garden. 

Since the discussions about 'selective compression' have taken place, this layout set me thinking of what one might do if there were not enough space indoors. Build outside, where 40 x 30-odd feet is not an issue and neither are tight curves.

Yes, it's seasonal thing and next week it'll all be taken down for winter storage. But, the Peco Code 100 stands up well, all joints are hard-bonded and it's great to watch scale-length trains disappearing into the distance. Suspension of disbelief I think it's called, and it's great fun. It also works exceptionally well. 

Photographing it was easy (the Lord's light, with a bit of fill-in flash), though to make the scenes more 'realistic' I'll do some Photoshopping, but not on every one. 

Any thoughts?

attachicon.gifDSC_9320.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_1293.JPG

attachicon.gifDsc_1293 altered.jpg

A description will appear in the spring of next year in BRM.

As an earlier posting said, opinions on editing photos are personal, and for me, the last photo doesn't work. Even in East Anglia, where big skies are famous, there are items such as trees etc. behind the railway, so having the sky coming right down to the railway all the way across is certainly better than the fence, but my feeling is that it could be made better still.

Phil

• Like 1

As an example of what I mean in posting 2628, Tony visited the Barking club when I was a member and took photos of some of the layouts, one of which is the picture below of Marshwood, an O gauge layout. To me, this is so believable because of the addition of the interesting skyline above the railway. I'll let other people decide.

post-5925-0-61359400-1412942602_thumb.jpg

Phil

PS - I trust Tony doesn't mind me attaching this photo, he took it for a prospective article in BRM, I believe it never appeared but I left the club 10 years ago. If Tony would prefer, I will delete the photo.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Oh please don't delete the photo at post 2629! - it ranks among the very best of model railway photography. Am I really seeing grass grow by the sleeper chairs, or am I imagining it?! The effect is really superb.

And am I right in thinking that the station building in the second photo of the breakdown train is Otterington, on the ECML between Thirsk and Northallerton, rebuilt in the 1930a after track widening?

John

Edited by it's-er

Yesterday saw another splendid time spent with visitors who brought a wide variety of very interesting items of motive power to run on Little Bytham.

post-18225-0-77519800-1412933379_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-04816100-1412933393_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-82041100-1412933433_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-20828700-1412933449_thumb.jpg

Nigel Robertson brought his usual mixture of kit-built GWR locos which happily trundled round. I hope the last two ARE Bulldogs. If not, my apologies for my remarkable ignorance. I think several of his were old K's kits, built well into the last century. 

post-18225-0-07076000-1412933420_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-52455700-1412933411_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-15561000-1412933494_thumb.jpg

Eric Place brought this trio of locos, built and finished by himself. The Black Five is a DJH kit, the 75XXX a Replica body on a Comet chassis and the Royal Scot a complete Comet kit. How often a 55A 7P ran on the M&GNR is open to conjecture.

post-18225-0-38774200-1412933463_thumb.jpg

Eric also brought this J50 he built from a DJH kit. Though a GNR/LNER-prototype, LB would never have a station pilot, but it looks nice.

post-18225-0-86939000-1412933477_thumb.jpg

Of great interest was this OO works C13. It's sold unnumbered, the buyer choosing (one assumes) which one. It's well-finished, though the lining is a little thick and it was a bit noisy. Interestingly, Jason Thomas brought an OO Works loco earlier in the week and that was noisy too. 

Thanks gents for a great day!

• Like 9