Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

How far should one go in the search for realism?

I've been watching a fair few Army Modelling videos recently. Not because they are a particular area of interest to me, but just because I'd like to see what other skill-sets and techniques are used in other areas of the 'Modelling' hobby overall, as opposed to just Railways. 

Adam Wilder does an amazing job with thin copper sheet, to represent more accurately the thickness of certain parts of Armour, in addition to that, he also re-creates damages from reference photos. Some of the other techniques involve stippling diluted putty onto surfaces to represent the textured finish of cast iron. 

There is much to be learnt (learned?) when you take a look at the other facets of 'Modelling' as a hobby, and how far they go to achieve their version of 'Realism'.

Attached is a video from Night Shift, not quite as good as Wilder, but still an extremely interesting video

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Couldn't agree more re the Military ( and aircraft) modelling......seems we still have to catch up in many ways.

Some of the techniques are relatively easy to bring over, and as the scales are similar I can't see any major probs.

No doubt someone out there is already doing it......but perhaps choose not to publicise what they are doing.

Not everyone is into forums or social media.......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Couldn't agree more re the Military ( and aircraft) modelling......seems we still have to catch up in many ways.

Some of the techniques are relatively easy to bring over, and as the scales are similar I can't see any major probs.

No doubt someone out there is already doing it......but perhaps choose not to publicise what they are doing.

Not everyone is into forums or social media.......

Some years ago I helped my friend with his layout at a "modelling show" which included military and aircraft modellers. Their models were amazing and we told them that we thought they were brilliant and we as railway modellers had a lot to learn from them as our modelling wasn't to the same standard. One of them replied "But you get yours to move".

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some years ago I helped my friend with his layout at a "modelling show" which included military and aircraft modellers. Their models were amazing and we told them that we thought they were brilliant and we as railway modellers had a lot to learn from them as our modelling wasn't to the same standard. One of them replied "But you get yours to move".

Have to agree with that - a moving model by its very nature will need to be able to take knocks and bumps.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Indeed Clive, I have looked over my shoulder for many years at what the plastic kit modellers do.  However, the big attraction to me is getting the mechanics of our models to work to the same standard as the excellent appearances achieved by the boats, planes and tank modellers.   I often find that CF gets an as good, if not better, response at general model shows as it does at railway exhibitions. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ooooh Clive......some certainly do move........I have r/c Tigers in 4 different scales........ all detailed etc and as yet.......nothing drastic has happened or fallen off!

The largest (1/16th) weighs a ton......you wouldn't want it hitting you......and benefits from both sprung and torsion bar suspension.....

Ive also detailed my buddies Sopwith pup.....with individual rivets, scratch built guns etc and it flies a treat!

On our layouts ( by and large) relatively little does actually move.......apart from the stock. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd start another loco this evening (a DJH SE&CR D1 class), but frustration soon set in. The frames are two thick slabs of pre-drilled brass and no amount of persuasion could get my 40W iron to make the solder flow around the bearings. I gave up and got on with some scenery instead!

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I thought I'd start another loco this evening (a DJH SE&CR D1 class), but frustration soon set in. The frames are two thick slabs of pre-drilled brass and no amount of persuasion could get my 40W iron to make the solder flow around the bearings. I gave up and got on with some scenery instead!

I've started using a small chef's blowtorch for such things, very successfully.  Sold for browning the tops of crème Brule's I believe and usually cost about a tenner.   Normally I use a 60W or 40W for most of my 7mm work but a quick dab with the blowtorch works wonders in the right circumstances.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I use a Dremel gas powered iron for jobs like this. Works a treat.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 11/07/2019 at 00:24, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

That's a curious A1 - some of the valve gear appears to be off a Hornby Dublo West Country looking at the combination lever and return crank! 

I tried the other day to make my contribution on inspirational layouts but kept getting timed out on RMweb on my tablet. Works much better on the home desktop PC.

Andrew

Andrew,

I think 'curious' is a most-apposite description.

Obviously, the DJH valve gear proved beyond the original builder (I wonder where it is?), so he (or she) has substituted HD valve gear. At least that's bomb-proof! 

If I do eventually get it, is anyone interested in that valve gear? 

Though I've shown this before, just a thank you again for giving me this A1 kit when you visited a couple of years ago. 

927934753_DJHA160121A260526.jpg.ee697ee43493677d5849573cb2f4653e.jpg

I built the DJH A2 at the same time, and Geoff Haynes painted them both.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13

Yesterday, it was my privilege to photograph Bridgwater, built in O Gauge by Trevor Gibson with the help of his mates. A most-pleasant couple of days spent on the Fylde.

I took these at least three years ago, and much more has been done since then. Look out for it in the RM to tie in with the Wigan Show in the early autumn.

1824942105_Bridgwater02.jpg.2d6de71dcdea07e9f25396a12da0ab75.jpg

333469642_Bridgwater08.jpg.a8100fc53bab27f96518d1701be0308d.jpg

1965601854_Bridgwater12.jpg.b05db8f79a5d33a9743017d66d0afb6f.jpg

Edwardian railway splendour epitomised!  

• Like 19

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Going back to wonky engines, I found this gorgeous picture of ‘Valour’ on the up Harrogate Pullman in 1923 at Retford. 

efp44i.jpg

I recollect another picture with the winking buffer and that is the condition I will model it in. 

The tricky bits are now well advanced and it should hopefully have all the rods etc set up after Sunday, when I’ll be demonstrating chassis construction and quartering at the MRC (Keen House). 

2z8b505.jpg

Off down to Cornwall on holiday, shortly, so the tender may get started there. 

Tim

Great work, as always, Tim,

Regarding the prototype shot, I stood on exactly the same spot some 42 years later and took a picture of a Deltic on an Up express. Those GNR somersaults to the right of the shot, in the yard, were still there!

Have a good holiday.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Good afternoon, Al,

I use a Weller 75W iron for such jobs! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

I've been enjoying working through your thread. Only another 1040 pages to read! :D ;)

I'm currently building a parcel train for my circa 1958 layout and would like to include a Thompson BG. I don't know much about Thomspon BGs! I enjoyed watching the Right Track Detailing and Improving DVD the other evening and noticed that you fit replacement sides to a Bachmann Thompson brake carriage. I know Bachmann produces a model, is it good at source, or would replacement etched sides be worth a go? Replacement bogies? Any further advice would be equally appreciated! 

Many thanks,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon, Al,

I use a Weller 75W iron for such jobs! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks, Tony, and thanks Jamie and SJR. I have a gas iron which I'm going to try tonight.

I have some 7mm frames to put together soon so I think it will be useful on those as well.

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is my latest project - a Becs J17 rescued from Ebay. I paid £46 and it was described as 'not very well built 30 years ago' and incomplete, so I wasn't expecting much. But what is there seems well built and the chassis was well put together - square and free running. It was let down by pick ups and the X04 motor and didn't show any sign of life. So, I spent yesterday morning ripping out the pick ups (which had been built at right angles to fit round the springs behind the wheels) and replacing with nickel silver wire. I cut off the springs behind the wheels on the insulated side to make a good run for the wire (as 'Sir' taught me). After this it worked a little, but the X04 was very noisy and got hot quickly. So that was ditched for an ECM motor/ gearbox combo out of my spares box, and it now runs very sweetly.

I have a couple of questions for the LNER cognoscenti:

1. The chassis looks purpose built for the kit and the wheelbase matches the splashers on the kit body, but the wheelbase is too short for the prototype - 7'9+8'3 instead of 8'10+8'10 on the prototype. Does anyone know why this might be?

2. I'm sure I've seen a picture of one of these on a freight somewhere between Hitchin and Hornsey on the ECML. I'd like to model that engine, but can't for the life of me remember where I saw the photo. Can anyone remember such a photo?

Andy

511812552_J17chassis.jpg.74bc5a232d35c66a6fdce8f880611ad6.jpg

327481210_J17pickups.jpg.4be532cf86e2fa9d27521d4b51add02a.jpg1722995470_J172(2).jpg.19fd6adfbe59015ac3c14d95d665b7d8.jpg925445118_J171.jpg.438cb68d5019d15ea3039069d2834af8.jpg

• Like 11

The kit was made to fit a Triang chassis, so it'll have been adjusted to suit.  I'd bet your chassis is actually for something else altogether.  Whatever the Triang chassis was originally designed for?

I can't say i recall seeing the photo you mention, I'm afraid.  I didn't think these went far off the GE or Joint.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Going back to wonky engines, I found this gorgeous picture of ‘Valour’ on the up Harrogate Pullman in 1923 at Retford. 

efp44i.jpg

I recollect another picture with the winking buffer and that is the condition I will model it in. 

The tricky bits are now well advanced and it should hopefully have all the rods etc set up after Sunday, when I’ll be demonstrating chassis construction and quartering at the MRC (Keen House). 

2z8b505.jpg

Off down to Cornwall on holiday, shortly, so the tender may get started there. 

Tim

Lovely work as always Tim. Hard to believe it is so tiny from your photo. Despite having a huge head start on you I fear that yours will be finished before my two at that rate of progress.

Tony G

On 06/07/2019 at 10:31, Tony Wright said:

I'm just writing a retrospective piece for BRM on John Houlden's erstwhile Gamston Bank.

2110790972_Gamston59.jpg.d0693ef550d2fe240ef30fe0add22d77.jpg

It was very popular on the exhibition circuit, and was a convincing (if shortened) representation of the section of the ECML just south of Retford. 

When its exhibition life came to an end, its mortal remains were burned in 'ceremonial' style (at Roy Jackson's place?), anything recoverable having been removed first. 

Though I doubt if it influenced me personally (it was built long after I was involved in the building of ECML depictions, though it did pre-date Little Bytham), I, obviously, found it very interesting. 

1150728558_14V2onfastfreight.jpg.c423c18cad3d1f049741c3aed2261583.jpg

John himself had built earlier ER main line depictions (though not prototype-based), including his East Ranford. In this view, a pair of Crownline V2s (like everything else, built by John) are on display. Both subsequently served on Gamston.

What happened to them after John had nowhere to run them on?

823204430_telegraphpoles07.jpg.05f2160485d14dbe9da48b9b38e5a067.jpg

Well, the one on the right has ended up on Little Bytham. Though I usually build my own locos, models of this quality could not be refused. It shows how long I've owned it now by the mock-up nature of the station and footbridge, as well as the point rodding.

1463465010_DJHA16015602.jpg.644224752de9f2be0cdf72eb6fa1c007.jpg

Here's another ex-Gaston loco, in the form of a DJH A1 (though I'll have to lower that front numberplate and top lamp bracket to be strictly correct for my period). 

I've mused as to the number of layouts which no longer exist which have proved 'inspirational'. I firmly believe that layouts are really transitory things. In the main, their principal fabrics wear out and fade. Several I'm aware of have been kept going for too long, and their later showings have been shadows of what they once were. Locos and stock can last for generations, but 'natural' materials bend, warp and fade over time. 

Buckingham, of course, thankfully still exists, though I was very careful when I photographed it not to get too close - 60 year old cardboard and paper tend to look like exactly what they are! Its influence on me in my formative years was substantial.

Anyone out there been influenced in their modelling by layouts which no longer exist? Though not my region nor time, Ken Northwood's North Devon would certainly be on my list. 

Do you know which month the article on Gamston will appear Tony? It was  Gamston and Stoke were the two layouts that nurtured my interest in steam on the ECML.

Edited by davidw

37 minutes ago, davidw said:

Do you know which month the article on Gamston will appear Tony? It was  Gamston and Stoke were the two layouts that nurtured my interest in steam on the ECML.

It'll be in the September issue, if all goes to plan, David,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

This is my latest project - a Becs J17 rescued from Ebay. I paid £46 and it was described as 'not very well built 30 years ago' and incomplete, so I wasn't expecting much. But what is there seems well built and the chassis was well put together - square and free running. It was let down by pick ups and the X04 motor and didn't show any sign of life. So, I spent yesterday morning ripping out the pick ups (which had been built at right angles to fit round the springs behind the wheels) and replacing with nickel silver wire. I cut off the springs behind the wheels on the insulated side to make a good run for the wire (as 'Sir' taught me). After this it worked a little, but the X04 was very noisy and got hot quickly. So that was ditched for an ECM motor/ gearbox combo out of my spares box, and it now runs very sweetly.

I have a couple of questions for the LNER cognoscenti:

1. The chassis looks purpose built for the kit and the wheelbase matches the splashers on the kit body, but the wheelbase is too short for the prototype - 7'9+8'3 instead of 8'10+8'10 on the prototype. Does anyone know why this might be?

2. I'm sure I've seen a picture of one of these on a freight somewhere between Hitchin and Hornsey on the ECML. I'd like to model that engine, but can't for the life of me remember where I saw the photo. Can anyone remember such a photo?

Andy

511812552_J17chassis.jpg.74bc5a232d35c66a6fdce8f880611ad6.jpg

327481210_J17pickups.jpg.4be532cf86e2fa9d27521d4b51add02a.jpg1722995470_J172(2).jpg.19fd6adfbe59015ac3c14d95d665b7d8.jpg925445118_J171.jpg.438cb68d5019d15ea3039069d2834af8.jpg

As Jonathan has said, Andy,

The BEC J17 body was designed around an original Tri-ang Jinty chassis - as was the same firm's J11 and several contemporaneous Wills' 0-6-0s. Actually, I've never asked the question - was the Tri-ang Jinty chassis right for a Jinty? 

Beware the cab spectacles. I can't see from your pictures, but the original BEC ones followed the radius of the cab roof at their tops. They should  be semi-horizontal at their tops. 

Like these.....................

833935706_J1765541March.jpg.00947ab33d3e0bf412ec801161d12abe.jpg

I suppose this is a 'standard' J17 (with holes drilled in the buffer beam to take a snowplough?).

692574572_J1765568Cambridge.jpg.585ad2581477344ac172b2154202f177.jpg

This one has a tender cab for working on branch lines with no means of turning the loco at the terminus. 

107168029_J1765503March.jpg.fc8b053ceca7cbe58053be6febfd1a32.jpg

This one has a small tender. And a screw shackle, even though it's not vacuum-braked. Not only that, the conduit to its clack (at least on this side) is not joggled as normal. Ah, those joys of 'loco-picking'.

531568032_J1765515March.jpg.e2a33ee6bb12cbcd48d765efea0ed9a3.jpg

This one has a small tender as well; and its cabside numbers appear to have been applied by a very short painter! 

The coupling rods are really massive. Those on your chassis look a bit 'thin'.

I hope these are of use but (all) please observe copyright restrictions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

As noted that is the Tri-ang, later Hornby standard chassis for 0-6-0Ts and still to be found under such locos in the Railroad range.  It's not a wheelbase to be found under any LMS (or constituent) loco.  I hope the overall dimensions of the kit have not been compromised to disguise the 6mm difference in the wheelbase and you can shift the splashers.  Alan Gibson probably do a milled mainframe for this loco but you'll need to source spacers and hornblocks.