Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grahame said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean. It's three houses, each with a backdoor, and each with a row of four pots : two for upstairs and two for downstairs rooms. I'll have to assume that the toilets are now indoors as I was going to add lean-to ones outside but there's very little room and they'd never be seen behind the warehouse.

It's the party walls that give that away.

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

Does anyone know of a suitable 4mm drawing of an Aspinall 3F? 

There is one on the box lid, which appears to be to scale. The positions of the boiler bands on this match those of the indents in the boiler. Is it wise for me to assume that these are right then? 

The motor must not exceed 11.5 mm in width, otherwise it won't fit inside the boiler/firebox. Guess what, the customer supplied the largest type of RG?! 

I'm working on the J6 today - it should help me pluck up the courage to carry on with the Lanky 0-6-0!

Regards,

Tony. 

Barry Lane's masterpiece 'L&Y Railway Locomotives' published by Pendragon has multiple 1/57 scale [really] drawings of 1080 and tender which ended its life in Jul 1958 as 52120. If you would like me to scan the drawings and assoc photographs for you, send me an e-mail.

Arun

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

Forewarned, as they say.

On all the six-wheeled tenders I make, the centre axle is always a bit higher (potentially) than the outer two (obviating the dreaded see-saw effect). What I do, whether the frames be inside bearings or outside, is to elongate the centre bearings north/south, so that, effectively, the centre wheels carry no weight, and just go along for the ride. 

The same principle applies to my eight-wheeled tenders as well, where the second and third axles carry no weight. It ensures trouble-free running.

Regards,

Tony. 

I do the same apart from the odd one that I have built sprung or compensated to see if it was worth doing, which I didn't think it was. The only other exception is the one I did for a Midland Single, where the back axle took the weight and the front two ran in slots so the weight of the tender went on the back of the loco.

The current progress on my N gauge D2 CAD to compare to Graham's excellent build.

183564398_D2Assembly.jpg.da17cb54b42a4a0f364b219f0b2debcc.jpg

1108470508_D2Assembly1.jpg.de3b5318f28a2bd94f6dfb9e5aa9c45f.jpg

1866826760_D2Assembly2.jpg.e8546928a932e69c69445fb8a5624ee2.jpg

Hopefully the 0.5mm shortening of the coupled wheelbase isn't noticeable - it was that or stretching the body...

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Atso said:

Hopefully the 0.5mm shortening of the coupled wheelbase isn't noticeable - it was that or stretching the body...

Why didn't you adjust both by 0.25mm?

Only joking - look forward to seeing the real thing.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Atso said:

The current progress on my N gauge D2 CAD to compare to Graham's excellent build.

183564398_D2Assembly.jpg.da17cb54b42a4a0f364b219f0b2debcc.jpg

1108470508_D2Assembly1.jpg.de3b5318f28a2bd94f6dfb9e5aa9c45f.jpg

1866826760_D2Assembly2.jpg.e8546928a932e69c69445fb8a5624ee2.jpg

What is three inches between friends? 
My wife says...       no I think we will leave the joke there. 
richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wigan Wallgate would make a nice model...

I know someone who has some bits of Wigan Wallgate.......

In answer to a question above, the Craftsman kit for the L&Y 0-6-0 has nothing to do with the old MPD one.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Atso said:

May I ask a general question for the N/2mm modellers? Where do you find your handrail knobs/stanchions? I presume it's through

one of the related societies?

kind regards,

Al

4 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

May I ask a general question for the N/2mm modellers? Where do you find your handrail knobs/stanchions? I presume it's through

one of the related societies?

Hello Al,

I source mine from N Brass. They're turned brass but I know some 2mm modellers prefer the etched ones from the Association.

N Brass's webpage is here: https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/nhome.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Atso said:

Hello Al,

I source mine from N Brass. They're turned brass but I know some 2mm modellers prefer the etched ones from the Association.

N Brass's webpage is here: https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/nhome.html

That's fantastic, Steve - many thanks. I've an American steamer with a die-cast body with cast handrails that I'd like to carve off and replace.

southern414.jpg

I've seen the N Brass locos stands at many exhibitions, but never thought to ask if they did handrails. Obvious in hindsight!

Al

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Barry Lane's masterpiece 'L&Y Railway Locomotives' published by Pendragon has multiple 1/57 scale [really] drawings of 1080 and tender which ended its life in Jul 1958 as 52120. If you would like me to scan the drawings and assoc photographs for you, send me an e-mail.

Arun

That's very kind, Arun.

However, I think I've got everything I need.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Tony. 

12 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I do the same apart from the odd one that I have built sprung or compensated to see if it was worth doing, which I didn't think it was. The only other exception is the one I did for a Midland Single, where the back axle took the weight and the front two ran in slots so the weight of the tender went on the back of the loco.

I should have mentioned about arranging the front end of the tender to rest on the back end of locos where weight distribution is an issue - 4-4-0s and so forth.

In that case, it's only the rear axle of the tender which carries any real weight. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Heljan O2,  a few choice words were said about this Loco, none pleasant !!.

post-7186-0-43043700-1517332600.jpgpost-7186-0-52627000-1517332752.jpeg

Horby O1 excellent machines .

post-7186-0-91315700-1496746545.jpgpost-7186-0-53398400-1496746572.jpg

O4/8 , Bachmann o4 and a B1 Body etc.

post-7186-0-44032400-1352118078.jpg

Hornby 06

post-7186-0-85036700-1339946041.jpg

Bachmann O4 renumbered.

post-7186-0-24398000-1308903204_thumb.jpg

I also have a couple of Austerity's a DJH and and a Bachmann , no current photos of either.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Not having the 'nuisance' of DCC, most of my chassis are live, as here.

Tony, as we have discussed before, not being able to use DCC on live chassis is a myth. As long as the motor is totally isolated from the chassis (frames?!!!!!), it matters not whether it is live, dead, split or anything else.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Heljan O2,  a few choice words were said about this Loco, none pleasant !!.

Horby O1 excellent machines .

O4/8 , Bachmann o4 and a B1 Body etc.

Hornby 06

Bachmann O4 renumbered.

I also have a couple of Austerity's a DJH and and a Bachmann , no current photos of either.

Evening Mick,

I can never get enough of your ongoing distaste for the Heljan O2, it's one of the top ten reasons for looking at RM web.

Despite the O2 falling apart if social distancing is not maintained, they are still the prettiest freight loco it must be said. The O1 is the cleverer but not quite so pretty younger brother/sister. Despite the annoying choice of smoke box door It is probably the finest RTR 2-8-0 ever fashioned. The inconvenient complications of balance weight options on the real Stannier  jalopy's make them far too complicated to model. That leaves the O4 as my choice of heroic key worker. Though the Bachmann one needs a bit of TLC from a responsible modeller.

Edited by Headstock
no need to keep repeating the images.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Tony, as we have discussed before, not being able to use DCC on live chassis is a myth. As long as the motor is totally isolated from the chassis (frames?!!!!!), it matters not whether it is live, dead, split or anything else.

I know it's not impossible to have a live chassis with DCC, but it's not desirable

There is always a greater risk of shorts with a live chassis. I eliminate them by giving sufficient clearance and, where necessary, adding a thin layer of Araldite to the edges of frame cut-outs or the backs of cylinders. 

With all-metal locos, employing DCC, having every part of the frames and the body (including, where present, the tender, and the complete train if its built from etched kits) electrically-dead is by far the best way. 

It's just not necessary without DCC in my experience. 

I've built all-metal locos for Gilbert Barnatt with live chassis and I can tell you the fag and fussing I've had to go through to ensure there are no risks of shorts with his DCC system. I've also fitted decoders in all-metal locos built by others for him, and live chassis (which means live body as well) are just a pain with DCC. They work fine (I wouldn't have it any other way), but it's far more fuss. 

My personal experiences, of course.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

With all-metal locos, employing DCC, having every part of the frames and the body (including, where present, the tender, and the complete train if its built from etched kits) electrically-dead is by far the best way. 

It's just not necessary without DCC in my experience. 

But it is! Perhaps not on a layout (DC or DCC) where locos always face the same way but if they don't you can get spectacular sparking effects when two locos touch smokebox to smokebox (or vice versa).

The question really has nothing to do with DC/DCC!

Edited by St Enodoc
Speling
  • Agree 3

On 27/04/2020 at 00:39, Daniel W said:

Looks like an A Class/ Class 27? I don't think i've ever seen one of these completed, so i'm interested to see how it compares to the Craftsman one.

I have built 3 of the MPD A class, they go together very well. 
I have built around 10 of the craftsman A class and one won a trophy at Bristol a few years ago (Tony was the Judge) for the best kit built Loco. 
but the craftsman is my preferred option on them kits. 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

But it is! Perhaps not on a layout (DC or DCC) where locos always face the same way but if they don't you can get spectacular sparking effects when two locos touch smokebox to smokebox (or vice versa).

The question really has nothing to do with DC/DCC!

If you have a live chassis which is live to one rail and a live chassis live to the other rail it doesn't matter if it is dc or dcc..sparks fly if you couple them together with uninsulated couplings. 

As two people may supply the locos on club layouts its best not to double head trains.

And don't use coach wheels live to one side ona metal coach bogie..then do it the other way around on the other end. Again this is the same with DC and DCC. 

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Mick,

I can never get enough of your ongoing distaste for the Heljan O2, it's one of the top ten reasons for looking at RM web.

Despite the O2 falling apart if social distancing is not maintained, they are still the prettiest freight loco it must be said. The O1 is the cleverer but not quite so pretty younger brother/sister. Despite the annoying choice of smoke box door It is probably the finest RTR 2-8-0 ever fashioned. The inconvenient complications of balance weight options on the real Stannier  jalopy's make them far too complicated to model. That leaves the O4 as my choice of heroic key worker. Though the Bachmann one needs a bit of TLC from a responsible modeller.

O2 mmmmm just keep looking  :lol_mini:, leave it long enough and something will fall off !! Social distancing or not , is not needed !!. :D;)   :bomb_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3