Jump to content

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....


Recommended Posts

On 06/07/2021 at 18:01, Clem said:

 

 

Morning Andrew,

That's a great snippet of research you've done. I do (vaguely) remember the gypsum trains on the GC but I don't particularly remember the consist of them. I still have a big interest in the GC having lived in sight of the line from 1960-1966. If I remember correctly the locos on the gypsum trains were pretty varied : J6, J11, O4, J39 but they generally stood out as most of the freight was in the hands of the 9Fs apart from the York-Woodfords which were either B16s or V2s.

 

Anyway,  I'll be using the 13T to help pad out my ironstone trains although they were as common as the Chas Roberts and the ex-LMS hoppers. I can't fathom why no-one has done a kit for the LMS hoppers - they were so common both on ex-LNER and ex-LMS lines and I think some even got down to South Wales. Looks like I make have to bite the bullet sometime soon and do a batch scratch build.

 

By the way, are you getting back into the club premises yet?

 

Clem

Hi Clem and others,

I disappeared down a rabbit hole of unusual wagons and came across this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4960216

Someone with more knowledge than me will be able to interpret just what all this means, but it seems there is a way of 3D-printing these ore wagons, just need to decipher how it's done, and look for a volunteer!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite apprehensive for the new V2...

 

They're one of the most expensive RTR kettles available in OO gauge, and from what I've seen they seem to have really bad running characteristics. Hornby Magazine did a special video on decorated samples running on their layout, and the running quality was really bad. One model slowed and wheel-slipped on 3rd Radius curve hauling a small amount of RTR Box vans, the other model showed really bad oscillations and wobbling while plodding along. Both models had (what appeared to my untrained eye) really chunky and oversized running gear, which ruined the look of the model. Unfortunately, I think this video has been taken down from YouTube by Hornby Magazine. I really hope these issues have been solved before they arrive, and hopefully Tony (and all you other knowledgeable folk) can de-bunk these bad running characteristics. I really hope they aren't reflected in the production run!

  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Hi Clem and others,

I disappeared down a rabbit hole of unusual wagons and came across this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4960216

Someone with more knowledge than me will be able to interpret just what all this means, but it seems there is a way of 3D-printing these ore wagons, just need to decipher how it's done, and look for a volunteer!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

 

 

A common wagon missing from the usual type sources.

 

I could do with some too.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nerron said:

The redundant apostrophe is on the front page of the book itself.

I've mentioned that in my review, as also the unnecessary ones included inside (in some cases) for the possessive form of its.

 

I'm sorry to say, it's all too common today. However, having said that, I must be careful. In just about every book I've written and just about every article, there's bound to be a blooper! 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some new books for review next month in BRM

 

200039040_BritishSteaminColour1957-1975.jpg.eb01c065c9f55653715cd7e523757fb2.jpg

 

A lovely selection.

 

1167170034_DieselDawntheNBWarships.jpg.57593d1e02e94dbafcdf4b0d5f664d6f.jpg

 

Latest softback from Irwell on these not-quite-as-good as their Swindon counterparts.

 

1362188259_GresleyV2s.jpg.f70a36f2f6f7083d8d0a2ee628b7fc4c.jpg

 

And, the most comprehensive account on the V2s I've seen. 

 

 

 

 A nice selection of books indeed .  Based on recommendations on another thread here I bought "British Steam in Colour 1957-1975" . It is a superb book showing the railway in the landscape .  The only thing I would say is that I found the mock silk pattern on the pages rather offputting . It maybe a quirk of my eyesight  but to me the effect carried on and suggested the photographs were dirty . Maybe its just my perception. It would have been much better had the pictures been on a white background .  The pictures are extremely interesting but would have benefitted in being presented in a larger format book . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 31A said:

 

Yes, I meant the one on the cover of the book.

Good afternoon Steve,

 

I wonder why the apostrophe is present; as it is with all BookLaw's titles for classes. Did it come from the RCTS green series, which also adds an apostrophe to classes - A3's, A4's, etc? Since it doesn't denote possession nor missing letters, its presence (not it's) is entirely superfluous. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

I'm quite apprehensive for the new V2...

 

They're one of the most expensive RTR kettles available in OO gauge, and from what I've seen they seem to have really bad running characteristics. Hornby Magazine did a special video on decorated samples running on their layout, and the running quality was really bad. One model slowed and wheel-slipped on 3rd Radius curve hauling a small amount of RTR Box vans, the other model showed really bad oscillations and wobbling while plodding along. Both models had (what appeared to my untrained eye) really chunky and oversized running gear, which ruined the look of the model. Unfortunately, I think this video has been taken down from YouTube by Hornby Magazine. I really hope these issues have been solved before they arrive, and hopefully Tony (and all you other knowledgeable folk) can de-bunk these bad running characteristics. I really hope they aren't reflected in the production run!

The one I have for review runs perfectly. It took 14 RTR MK1s on test without the slightest problem, and a 40 wagon  fitted goods. With both, I ran the loco at full speed, and even through S bends in my fiddle yard, there were no derailments at all. Should one really be making judgments and publishing them on the basis of one video?

  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Legend said:

 

 A nice selection of books indeed .  Based on recommendations on another thread here I bought "British Steam in Colour 1957-1975" . It is a superb book showing the railway in the landscape .  The only thing I would say is that I found the mock silk pattern on the pages rather offputting . It maybe a quirk of my eyesight  but to me the effect carried on and suggested the photographs were dirty . Maybe its just my perception. It would have been much better had the pictures been on a white background .  The pictures are extremely interesting but would have benefitted in being presented in a larger format book . 

I agree entirely, though I haven't mentioned the mock silk pattern because my dislike of it might be seen as being subjective. Why it's been put in I don't know (other than to tie-in with the title?). It's similar to another book I reviewed of late, where the page background looked 'distressed'. No, as you say, plain white is far better.

 

I also agree it would have been better in a larger format, though price might have been the factor here. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Steve,

 

I wonder why the apostrophe is present; as it is with all BookLaw's titles for classes. Did it come from the RCTS green series, which also adds an apostrophe to classes - A3's, A4's, etc. Since it doesn't denote possession nor missing letters, its presence (not it's) is entirely superfluous. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

 

I have often wondered that myself Tony, and had noticed it in the Green Books as well, although it didn't leap off their pages to me when I first read them in the way that it does now.  In the case of the Green Books, I wondered whether usage has changed since they were written, which is many years ago now?  I don't think it really has, though.  Perhaps me getting more picky with old age....

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, great northern said:

The one I have for review runs perfectly. It took 14 RTR MK1s on test without the slightest problem, and a 40 wagon  fitted goods. With both, I ran the loco at full speed, and even through S bends in my fiddle yard, there were no derailments at all. Should one really be making judgments and publishing them on the basis of one video?

Good afternoon Gilbert,

 

I think it's wise advice not to base any judgement on just one video (unless it's been professionally-shot, with high-quality equipment). Most of the (amateur) ones I've shot display evidence of jerking when, in reality, it isn't present. 

 

As anyone else seen the video in question, or know how to view it?

 

Clearly, the Bachmann V2 you've reviewed runs perfectly, and you can only comment on that. The pre-production samples I had to run on LB in late 2019 also ran superbly, hauling prodigous loads.

 

I think the plan (if anything in the past is anything to go by) is for Bachmann's staff to bring some production V2s over here and give them a blast on Little Bytham in due course, shooting video footage as they go (as happened with the Blue Pullmans). When Steve Tooley was over here last month, we discussed it. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

As anyone else seen the video in question, or know how to view it?

I can't for the life of me find it anymore. It was on Hornby Magazine's YouTube Channel and was released a few years ago, just after decorated samples were released but before the Rails of Sheffield/NRM exclusives were announced.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing them put to use on Little Bytham!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Gilbert,

 

I think it's wise advice not to base any judgement on just one video (unless it's been professionally-shot, with high-quality equipment). Most of the (amateur) ones I've shot display evidence of jerking when, in reality, it isn't present. 

 

As anyone else seen the video in question, or know how to view it?

 

Clearly, the Bachmann V2 you've reviewed runs perfectly, and you can only comment on that. The pre-production samples I had to run on LB in late 2019 also ran superbly, hauling prodigous loads.

 

I think the plan (if anything in the past is anything to go by) is for Bachmann's staff to bring some production V2s over here and give them a blast on Little Bytham in due course, shooting video footage as they go (as happened with the Blue Pullmans). When Steve Tooley was over here last month, we discussed it. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

I too saw the video. It was filmed by Hornby mag and was consistent in quality to their other video's which is to say pretty good. They use a the same layout to test and demonstrate loco's so the viewer can make a reasonable comparison of the running of various models on the same track. The samples were loaned by Bachmann to the magazine so unless they specifically asked Hornby not to film or put them online they should have no complaints about us viewing or commenting on them. And they did run pretty badly. I accept they were samples but Great Northern's put down of Dylan is out of place  - he is only commenting on what he (and I and no doubt many others) saw. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can fairly assess the running of a sample locomotive. Possibly when they first come from the factory but they then have a rough life being handled and scrutinised.

 

A full assessment can't be made until the actual models arrive and I'm sure they will be up to Bachmann's normal high standards of running.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Steve,

 

I wonder why the apostrophe is present; as it is with all BookLaw's titles for classes. Did it come from the RCTS green series, which also adds an apostrophe to classes - A3's, A4's, etc? Since it doesn't denote possession nor missing letters, its presence (not it's) is entirely superfluous. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

I find lots of books from different publishers have grammatical, punctuation or similar errors. It isn't confined to Book Law, who have done plenty of books worth having over the last few years, even if one could pick holes in the captions. Budgets are probably tight and profitability of book publishing marginal so there is a limit to how much proof reading can be done. Apostrophes seem to be a particular weak spot. What I think is much worse is to have captions which are simply nonsense, usually because of obvious factual inaccuracy. A few authors, who shall remain nameless and who have different publishers, spring to mind here. Of course, as for everyone else, anything I have written will contain some errors.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had not given much thought to LNER tender wheels until reading the recent posts on this thread. Today, I received a copy of Peter Tuffrey's new book on B1s. I have only had a fairly quick look through but could not see any photos that clearly showed spoked tender wheels, nor any that were very clearly disc wheels. What did B1 tenders have?

 

It does seem very odd for Bachmann to have changed from disc wheels to spoked on the V2 if discs are correct, but perhaps they just used some wheels from their pacific tenders that were to hand when they put together the pre-production sample that Tony tested a while back? For the price, it's something they should get right.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unnecessary quotation marks around every name and class is a bugbear of mine. Especially when you are dealing with a subject that has a lot of them where it makes it hard to read. Magazines are the worst offenders.

 

"A3", "Castle Class", "King", "Hogwarts Castle", "Flying Scotsman", "Austerity", "Streak", etc. Those just from a quick glance at the current Steam Railway.

 

 

 

Jason

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went two Retford yesterday two pick up a locomotive from Sir, and two shew sum Dinghams working.

 

CD47DCBA-864B-4854-A3F3-E72D1ABA4A22.jpeg.f8c03c9b4f9130872f4ca3d147c54033.jpeg
 

While i was, their @t-b-ghad his Valour running pulling a fourteen car train really well.

64E92755-CCD8-4835-B175-914373BDA4E9.jpeg.8d5297b0c9b6f574dff5a5e452d63f87.jpeg
This won from won of Tony’s estate sails, has found a good home. It’s going to be an interesting makeover project. (Its hard work writing this bad :) )

Edited by PMP
Ad pic
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unnecessary quotation marks around every name and class is a bugbear of mine. Especially when you are dealing with a subject that has a lot of them where it makes it hard to read. Magazines are the worst offenders.

 

"A3", "Castle Class", "King", "Hogwarts Castle", "Flying Scotsman", "Austerity", "Streak", etc. Those just from a quick glance at the current Steam Railway.

 

 

 

Jason

It's tricky sometimes Jason, how to present such things.

 

I never put LNER loco classifications in inverted commas, but tend to with things like 'Duchesses'. 

 

As for actual names, I either write them in italics (BRM-style) or in capitals (Irwell-style).

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...