My detailing/repainting projects

The yellow has had time to cure, so made a start with the stripes, I'm trying the sequence as suggested by Ken. White 1st.
8679626551_21b36bef68_b.jpg

8679628425_bc270703a9_b.jpg

I have removed the masking tape off the yellow as I am busy all weekend, and didn't want to tempt fate leaving it stuck onto new paintwork! Once the white is completely dry, I'll mask a strip of it off, and then paint the red stripe. Really going to take my time with this one, one mistake will mean a lot of wasted time and work down the drain.

Watching with interest as I have a Heljan 86 (86214) which I am planning to re do in 1990 condition which I am thing will be best having a total strip down and re spray..

Hi JBM. The hardest part about doing the 86 I have found so far was stripping the paint off! Very very tough in places, along with some of the glued in marker lenses, even after hours in paintstripper they refused to budge.

Anyway, another loco lands on the bench.

This red stripe beastie.

8680723293_3ce0025679_b.jpg

8681853106_d71279732b_b.jpg

A nice enough model out of the box from Bachmann. However this one had some interesting livery stages, so the owner wants me to do it as follows.

Red 'British Steel Skinningrove' nameplates.

Large white numbers added. (as per prototype, the cabside black numbers will be retained.)

Plain white Kingfisher to be replaced with a coloured one.

Lightly weathered.

Flat matt coat to finish.

I also have another 3 37's on the way that shock horror, are not to be re painted in either blue, large logo, or railfreight! Wants them in new fangled triple grey livery for some reason.......

Might be time to rename my thread 'the loco' workbench thread as I can't get anywhere near the layout :beee:

What have you used to strip the paint on the 86?

I prefer triple grey altough have just done a weathering job on a Red stripe 37 to gain some experience....

Well, the next colour has gone on. Lower bodyside, listed in the Fox painting guide as needing RM200 'Executive light grey'. Looks weird to me, almost brown like. Anyone?

8682119063_6a9fec25ce_b.jpg

8683235686_42c4863642_b.jpg

Also, does anybody know what colour the roofs were on these things, same as upper bodyside, or light grey as per the blue ones? It's very difficult to tell from photographs.

That lower body side looks the right shade.

The executive always looks a bit browner than youd think when first applied as the rest of the loco is very light grey or white. Once the other colours are on it will suddenly look right. Its the way the brain works colours are only what your brain makes them and what colours they are next to makes a big difference to perception.

Cav

Coming along well I must say...

These colours still play tricks on one. The beige still looks brownish. I suppose when the white stripe and then the black goes on it might show up.

Just a quick question, aren't the insulators removable?

Waiting to see the finished product and also and update on your 56s

I thought you had already done the white? I would certainly have done the white before red. Looking good though mate. Once the dark grey goes on youll be surprised how light the other colours then look. Is your loco going to have the half height yellow al the way around the front or will it be a version that extended up to the bottom of the front windows?

Cav

Edited by RBE

Tamiya is a renowned tape and one I use myself. Even so, you've still got such a crisp line that I thought you must have found another product! I'm going to have to revisit my masking skills1 ;-)

Cheers.

Sean.

Seconded Sean. I think I need to be a bit more patient in the amount of paint I put on with each coat! And not a speck of dust in sight either (one of my big problems).

I'm still not convinced by that beige though, Lee. It might be the light, but it looks too brown to me. I always use Railmatch "Executive Light Grey", which I think is spot on.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Cracking on with the 86, after the hairy 'time to take the masking tape off' moment, I don't think this is looking too bad. As Cav so correctly said, the colours look much better now that the main body colour is on.

More masking. The red stripes you can see are yesterdays red stripe pieces, I am a bit of a skinflint, and like to recycle   :stinker:
8695478247_e55933002c_b.jpg

Looking a bit sorry for itself.
8695481175_02c79c8aac_b.jpg

Spraying light coats on until......
8695486349_f341e1456b_b.jpg

That's done then.
8696611700_5ffca3f730_b.jpg

Sphincter flap time....
8695496241_cfd0722421_b.jpg

8696622226_5fc777d120_b.jpg

After a little bit of tidying up with a very fine paintbrush, I'm thinking this is not going too bad.
8696626828_18894bf620_b.jpg

Black window surrounds, and grey roof next.

:O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  That looks lovely!! I just love it...nice work, crisp lines...keep up the good work

Hi Lee,

The colours on the 86 do look spot on now. Amazing. And nice work over those details too. Always a tricky part of spraying.

I checked my compressor, but it doesn't give a pressure. It's just a fixed pressure Hobby Air one. Maybe I should look into getting a better, variable pressure one?

What pressure do you use?

You're using enamels aren't you? (sorry if you've mentioned that before). And what paint : thinner ratio do you go for?

Sorry for all the questions, but you're spraying results seem so consistently good, and consistently better than mine too, and I'd like to find out why!

Cheers,

Dave

blueeighties, on 01 May 2013 - 22:06, said:

Evening Dave. I would say a lot of my current success is simply attributable to me spending the best part of 3 Years pulling my hair out making lots of mistakes!

I do indeed standardise on enamels, I have dabbled with acrylics, but they didn't work for me. I would suggest a compressor with pressure control would be a very wise investment, I think my normal working pressure is now 15-20 psi. I just leave it set constantly, I now know what paint mix works properly with that pressure.

I have no set mix ratio, I mix paint and thinner until it's the consistency of semi skimmed milk. I use George Dent's drip method, basically you let it drip off the end of a mixing spatula, if it strings its too thick, if it streams its too thin. Nice single drips, with a thin covering left on the surface of the spatula, that works for me.

Get to know your paint as well, I standardised on Phoenix right from the beginning, and learnt how it reacted with different mixes and pressures. Don't try and adjust too many variables at once, just play with one, keep everything else constant until you work out what the first one is doing.

Lots and lots of experimenting and practise are the keys to success. It wasn't so long ago I was on the brink of giving up due to frustrations with spraying. I'm glad I stuck at it.

Thanks Lee. My results are generally not too bad. I'm pretty happy with my ScotRail and InterCity Mk 3 rakes for example, but the results I get are not as consistently good as you seem to achieve. How many coats do you tend to apply? I think that's one of my weakest areas - with modelling time being so restricted, I tend to want to minimise the number of coats I apply, which means I end up putting it on too thick sometimes, especially with paler colours.

I'll keep experimenting and maybe think about investing in a better compressor. I've always used a similar drip method to yours, where I put a drop of the paint mixture on a piece of newspaper to check that it has the consistency of milk, like you say. Maybe I'll try the spatula drip method.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dave

Good morning Dave.

Trying too put too much paint on too quickly is pretty much guaranteed to produce a poorer quality finish. I know time is always at a premium, but you simply can't rush or cut corners if you want to improve your quality of finish

I am currently off work at the minute and have the luxury of some modelling time, the 86 I am doing arrived the weekend before last, and yesterday had its final basic livery colour applied. So, including primer, that's 7 colours, over 12 days, that's about as quick as I can currently manage. There is still probably about a weeks worth of work to finish, with varnish coats, detailing, and weathering. How long would you say it takes yourself to apply a basic livery?

With regards to number of coats, I normally find most colours take 3-5 lightish ones to properly cover. I start applying them light, and make sure the last couple are applied slightly heavier, so they appear wet as they land on the surface.

Hope that helps!

Well, my latest batch of four blue/grey Mk 2s took a couple of months in the end, even though there were only two basic colours. That was partly as half-way through I decided that the top of the grey band wasn't quite in the right place. By the end, I'd had enough of them really! They look good on the layout now though I think and a huge improvement on what they looked like before, so it was probably worth it after all.

When I have the bit between my teeth, I'd say I manage a coat every other day or so and I probably aim for 3 coats each colour, maybe 4. More patience and less paint each application, especially in the early coats, along with maybe a new compressor is what I need I think.

Where do you do your spraying? I do mine in the garage, which is probably the dustiest place I have! Mrs WW already puts up with a lot and I don't think I'd like to push her to accept spraypainting inside the house.

Cheers,

Dave

37 is looking good, like your spraying setup too. I just fill my room with spray, choke to death and piss the missus off with smell and overspray powder on the floor but hey haha. 31 is a beast.

Cav

• Like 1