Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The tree trunks look great. Are they completely natural or did you add the green to the side of the trunk in the post before last? 

Cheers, Ade.

Completely natural just dried out and clear coated 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, steve fay said:

Completely natural just dried out and clear coated 

Sounds a bit like me then ! :lol:

Nice use of natural materials Steve.

• Like 1

Another two trees underway, 

first one needs more sea foam added then trimmed and shaped,

second one has had the first application of flock added, the more that’s added the more it will thicken it up 

A287723B-8870-4D39-B0CB-5DB85E9338AC.jpeg

230AD588-E785-40D1-8DEF-335EC133ABDB.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2021 at 12:05, steve fay said:

A bit more wagon weathering whilst waiting on more scenic supplies 

Nicely done. I do like the crimson variation on the meat van. I had a total brain fade and when I had some left over bauxite mixed, grabbed my finished kit and painted it. I'd got as far as the transfers and my only pair of "meat"s before I remembered I had meant to do it red!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Nicely done. I do like the crimson variation on the meat van. I had a total brain fade and when I had some left over bauxite mixed, grabbed my finished kit and painted it. I'd got as far as the transfers and my only pair of "meat"s before I remembered I had meant to do it red!

....but it's correct for a meat van post 1956 when they started to be repainted bauxite.  FWIW I was surprised to see that Dapol used white lettering on their crimson meat vans and containers as I thought that yellow was correct.  When I did my Slater's BD container in crimson I only had white decals so, after application, I went over the letters with a yellow fine point OHP pen.  Once varnished you couldn't tell.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

....but it's correct for a meat van post 1956 when they started to be repainted bauxite.  FWIW I was surprised to see that Dapol used white lettering on their crimson meat vans and containers as I thought that yellow was correct.  When I did my Slater's BD container in crimson I only had white decals so, after application, I went over the letters with a yellow fine point OHP pen.  Once varnished you couldn't tell.

Cheers,

Ray.

I'm 1957/58 so can get away with either/both!

I did look for yellow transfers and although admittedly I didn't try very hard, it seemed like it might involve getting a lot more than one wagon was worth. I'd wondered if colouring them was feasible - good tip!

• Like 1

Back on with some ballasting today! Spot the difference ? the Dapol ballast darkens down a lot once it’s been glued and the new stuff doesn’t at all! Still looking at prototype pictures the track work was very dirty along with the ballast so I’ll hopefully blend it in with a good dose of dirt. 
Also adding in some draining

30B65162-7906-4003-B936-C5BC2AD91848.jpeg

9FF33BE1-E2F9-40A5-B0B8-B5DA36181CE2.jpeg

• Like 11

Back on to the trees today,  I’ve wanted to do an Ivey covered dead tree for a while and the superb Ivey from mininatur is perfect for the job, I also added some more sea foam to the last two trees I was working on cut and shaped it a bit more and covered in foliage, which I’ve promptly ran out of again the one needs another going over.

C8FC12CB-FD78-4D17-90FE-1B82CCB4C23B.jpeg

361EEEEF-9985-403E-8AAF-1F84BB671BF6.png

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

First pair of Dapol / Lionheart MK1’s behind a castle and also paired with a hattons Gresley which were very often used as a strengthening coach on South Wales services.  I’ve ordered a Haywood diagram H57 dining coach for this set. 

32738C0F-52A4-4A41-A37E-70742EF84B45.png

4BD5F592-3F95-4779-9215-549E92BA0492.jpeg

• Like 8