Hornby speculation thread

reevesthecat

Almost certainly we will see something to do with Mallard in a limited edition to coincide with next years 75th anniversary, debateable if we will see the other 5 A4's from the planned line up as well.

Yep. A Mallard in 1938 livery is highly probable - either that or a NRM version with the brass plate. Almost 100% certainty of some kind of Mallard.

LNER Dynamometer Car, and/or Coronation Stock, as a low volume release at a premium price to tie in with the 75th Anniversary celebrations.

I like the way you are thinking here sir.

This one really is my favourite guess.

Well, going on previous form, a model of the new trains for HS2 in a speculative livery, a scale model of West Ham's new stadium and a resurrection of the Triang American stock in Mexican railways livery to commemorate the end of the world in a few days time.

- oh, and some N gauge to get their own back on Dapol

;)

The three biggest UK railway anniversaries in 2013 that I can think of are Mallard 75th, Big 4 90th and London Underground 150th. I'm expecting something to celebrate at least two of those, most likely some limited edition models. Although I would prefer a Met 'E' class loco and some Met carriages.

For Steam locos I have no idea, maybe another LNER loco to go with the Gresley and Thompson coaches. Possibly a SECR 'H' to go with the pull push sets?

For carriages, I'm expecting some non corridor carriages, most likely LMS ones as we haven't had any new LMS carriages from Hornby for a while, and some expansion of the current ranges (Maunsell Restaurant Car and Dining Saloon perhaps?).

I guess an H to go with the pull-push sets and possibly steam era catering vehicles (southern - sadly lacking so far).

Oh and of course LSWR Maunsell rebuilds (dia. 418 and dia. 99) now I've just started to build these kits. :fool:

A H Class would be a good counter to Bachmann's C Class. I wouldn't mind a P Class. 4 preserved out of 8 built. Plenty of liviery choices (with also Industrial and Preservation ones suchas 753 in Pride of Sussex liviery, 178 as Pioneer II and 323 in her various different Bluebell Blue livieries).

I think its quite likely anyway but 60163 Tornado Special Edition in BR Express Blue.

In the spirit of the end times, with the Mayan doom upon us, we've already seen City Of Truro, The Brighton Belle, The Blue Pullman and the LMS Twins in plastic RTR - a sure sign of the apocalypse if there is one.

It begs the question, so what's left from the 'nah, mate it'll never happen' / 'when hell freezes over' / 'when pigs fly' file?

A 125th anniversary limited edition 'race to the north' boxed set?

GNR Stirling Single No 668 or GNR Stirling Single No 775

LNWR Precedent No. 790 Hardwicke 2-4-0

(Yes, these locomotives are from 1895 not 1888 - the anniversary year.)

An as-built Channel Packet? (The 72nd anniversary, which of course means nothing.)

Dare I say it?

The Fell?

Refreshed - Inter-City HST power cars to receive Executive livery.

Has every livery of the 125 been covered now except this one? I feel this was the best paint scheme these icons have ever received. These are fine models out of the box and one model I would allow an exception with in terms of Hornby simply giving a model a new lick of paint and trying to pass that off as something innovative and exciting. I wouldnt be as lax with their older Limby models.

All New - Out of the earlier suggestion of a Class 87 or 90 I would wager that the 90 might just pip the electric scots (mores the pity :( ) as Hornby may view it as having a better sales potential in conjunction with their excellent DVT - as the locos are still seen today on the network it might add some gravitas to that line of thinking. The current pack contains the very dated 90 with awful pantograph too so this would be a good model to renew. The final chassis would contain most of what would be needed as a base unit to add a new 87 bodyshell later on (or vice versa if Hornby prefer to mark the 87s 40th year in its 2013 annoucements with a new model!).

I do think that we will see Hornby do something with a pantograph to keep up with the Jones' (Bachmann 85 and Desiro). Maybe an AC multiple unit of some description? That would create quite a stir.

I think the latest Mk3 coaches are fine models now (rivet counters please look away) and without a costly retool would benefit from a few simple revisions with better livery application and glazing, maybe fine window surrounds or painted frames but in the land of nod I can dream of detailed interiors and interior lighting ala the new Blue Pullman - could Hornby pull this off?).

Short of an all new Mk3 coach (which would really need to feature the better gangways and vents for LHCD as found on those old Joeuf Mk3s) a refresh would go a long way as you rarely hear calls for all new Mk3s which might say a lot oabout the current one. They certainly need to amend the livery for their Inter-City 125 HST power cars in swallow livery. Correcting the stone/beige coloured lower sections would then generate a real wave of sales if it was on the back of the aforementioned power cars in executive livery with the requisite branding added.

I think the call for new AirCon Mk2 d/e/f may go unanswered this year from Hornby......and maybe forever.

As the Xmas advent calender shows a peek of the delayed BSO Mk2 in blue and grey as todays present I think this suggests that the old tooling will march on for now. This model was announced last year I believe (only the IC Swallow version making it out of the factory with that dire decal error) and should fall outside of the new releases for 2013.

Guest dubdee1000

Also in the spirit of 'play value' a cattle wagon and sheep wagon with sound will be available in 2013. DCC controlled sounds of cattle lowing or sheep bleating can be activated with a button on the Elite controller or programmed to activate randomly. These wagons will be available both in BR livery and a livery suitable for the Thomas and Friends range.

Very good and perhaps not totally outside the realms of possibility!

APT anyone? - Bachmann got the BP. Now it seems that this is the elephant in the room

Also in the spirit of 'play value' a cattle wagon and sheep wagon with sound will be available in 2013. DCC controlled sounds of cattle lowing or sheep bleating can be activated with a button on the Elite controller or programmed to activate randomly. These wagons will be available both in BR livery and a livery suitable for the Thomas and Friends range.

Very good and perhaps not totally outside the realms of possibility!

Sound equipped cattle and hog cars do exist. Broadway Limited had one. Like any noisy toy, it's the perfect gift for a grandparent to give.

Mystic Bob predicts ... a DCC controlled giraffe car. ;-)

I thought about suggesting that!

These days we need the whole circus. An updated circus train featuring DCC sound with lions that roar, elephants that wave their trunks out of their cage, calliope music etc.

What about the Stanier and Fowler 2-6-2Ts?

Stanier Mogul is a strong probability, my friend in the know has told me.

I'd love to see both the 2-6-2Ts mentioned above but have not heard anything that leads me to think either will appear in the announcement.

Ex-LMS non-corridor stock would be most welcome for me and many others, I'm sure, and Hornby already have the 57ft under-frame tooled up.

Stan

Hornby are just getting started on major coverage of the LMS and LNER to match the lavish provision they have provided for GWR and SR. That's my underlying theory. So I confidently predict interesting 'character' loco items to match items like the 14xx, Dean Goods, Grange, Q1, M7 and T9. They haven't reused their 0-4-4T chassis yet: there's the Caley 439 and/or NER G5 going begging, ready targets for their 'design clever' approach. Since big goods seem to be the order of the day, eight coupled classes such as the Austin 7 and Q6 might be in with a shout. Something else to go with the Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed; rather then renew the N2, perhaps an N7. (An N7 or G5 would neatly supply an LNER branch line loco, something never previously seen in RTR.)

In coaches, since the 57' LMS non-gangwayed share a chassis with the corridor coaches, there's more 'design clever' exploitation. (There's all the locos in the world in model form to pull these, and they went far off the LMS/LMR system; have long looked like a gaping hole in RTR. I was amazed they went after the LNER designs first.) Like the idea that the anniversary could trigger some streamlined LNER stock to go with the legions of A4s; good headline grabbing premium train set, and stunningly beautiful sufficient to get 'eye-candy sales from the large majority who never saw such a thing in reality.

• RMweb Premium

In terms of new tooling, Hornby will announce a Peppercorn K1, LNER B2 (rebuilt B17) and a GWR Manor.

New Mk3s with NEM mounts to go with the 67s, DVTs and HSTs.

The Maunsell push-pull BCK will appear in its original version.

The Dean Goods will receive a new loco-drive chassis, the N2 will appear in the normal range and in the Railroad range, a class 26 or 27 will be released.

In terms of reliveries of existing models, some of this year's cancellations will reappear, such as the Strathclyde orange/black DMU, but others will be quietly dropped such as the weathered Mk3 ex-Virgin carriages.

The high-windowed Maunsells will appear in SR lined olive green.

This year is the 75th anniversary of Mallard's high speed run, as well as the launch of the Hornby Dublo range, so expect a special edition of Mallard in 1938 condition, and both launch locos of the H-D range, Sir Nigel Gresley and the N2 in suitable retro packaging.

One surprise new tooling may be the articulated pair of Gresley corridor carriages that also appeared at the time, but done to 21st century standards.

It's also the 90th anniversary of the formation of the Big Four in 1923 and my guess is that Flying Scotsman will appear as 1472 in its earliest condition.

It's also the 65th anniversary of the nationalisation of British Railways in 1948, possibly some of the interchange trials locos may come in special train packs.

For the 45th anniversary of the last regular steam on BR in 1968, 45110 and/or 70013 in its final condition may be released to complete the quartet.

I can see more limited edition train packs, featuring Barry J. Freeman, or another artist, being released.

The Railmaster will be available for use on mobile devices.

Skaledale will feature more urban buildings including council housing.

GWR Manor using bits from the Grange. Also on the GWR theme a more up to date 14xx/58xx or possibly a small Pannier such as a 64xx.

On an Eastern theme I can feel a J15 coming on too! :D

The 64xx and the J15 would be very welcome to a lot of people. Given that Hornby have just released the 8-coupled GWR tank locomotives, another GWR tank would surprise me, as much as I'd like to see the 64xx.

The J15 is a good choice and a perennial favourite.

A lot of people have commented on an upgraded 61xx or 60xx King. I don't know why Hornby would want to do this. I'd rather see another GWR Castle using the new tooling. Wellington in Hawksworth livery is pushed back to June 2013. I think a new Collett liveried Castle is Hornby's smartest GWR choice.

EDIT:

The Dean Goods will receive a new loco-drive chassis

This makes more sense than any other 'updated' GWR model.

I'm not expecting anything much this year as Hornby need to recover and consolidate by getting their delayed stock out onto the shelves.

I would expect that the LMS would be the next to benefit from suburban stock, as the Maunsell PP can provide the Southern with some suburban cover, and the B-sets and autocoaches haven't yet arrived for the GWR. I saw a suggestion for mainline Thompsons further up the thread, but don't see a 4th top-notch LNER design coming along too soon.

There are a few obvious LNER locos (B12 upgrade, K1, K4) to go with the new coaches, but not so hot on the heels of the B1 and B17.

Retooled King/LMS pacific/61xx would make sense, but if Hornby are doing the smart development thing... perhaps an original MN is more likely.

In conclusion, Midland suburbans and something retooled, perhaps a surprise new loco too.

I just remembered that 2013 is a big year for Flying Scotsman. Its the 90th Anniversary of her being built (as well as that of the formation of the LNER) as 1472 (maybe a release of her in this form without name?) and 50th Anniversary of her being preserved by Alan Pegler (again maybe a release of 4472 but with red backed nameplates).

• RMweb Gold

There is a big hint in the Simon Kohler interview where he talks about Railmaster and about competing with the tech that most young people are interested in and trying to engage them with the hobby (my paraphrase) I therefore expect some added "play value" maybe including a Railmaster train set. Perhaps a fusion of computer game and real play.

If they have had time to react to the success of the SECR C class, perhaps an LSWR livery M7 would be worth a punt on their part, perhaps as a train pack with a re-liveried push-pull.

• RMweb Gold

Time to apply a spot of science and a look back at the pols from 2009 & 2010 and think about project development timescales - 3 years-ish? So The Stationmaster's crystal ball for 'completely new' suggests looking at top scorers from back then and oh what a lot have already gone but one which stands out is the Marsh H2 Atlantic with consistent high scores on the Southern polls (and one under construction on the Bluebell) - so will it be be 2013 or 2014 or has 'someone else' nabbed it already? That alternative possible SR loco is an S15 or a Black Motor based on poll results; the S15 sounds more 'Hornby's fodder to me.

Staying with the SR a look at the EMU list sees the 2 BIL as a consistent top scorer and having predicted it myself for, I think, at least 3 years I've got to add it again simply for consistency.

Now moving to the LNER side and an interesting one arises - again a contest between an 0-6-0 and a 4-6-0 with the J6 and a B16. Somehow I think a B16 is more up Hornby's street and I bet they've had a weather eye on Bachmann's apparent success with Pre-Group engines.

Nothing LMS wise on the loco front I think but a GW addition is possible and the glint in SK's eye might well be a 'replacement' pannier tank in the shape of a 64XX (another high scorer but more recently) although in its case it competes with the 2-8-0 47XX - again something which might appeal to 'big engine' Hornby. I go for the pannier and a re-tooled autocoach.

Which brings me to coaches - there's bound to be something; Hornby have found a niche and are exploiting it well and presumably profitably. The big question is what will it be - GW Toplights (what a jungle!) are the outstanding high scorers from 2009 and 2010 which have not appeared/been announced by anyone but I don't think it will be them. In fact my crystal ball remains very murky although I think non-gangwayed stock a little more likely than gangwayed and either LMS or GW (back to an autocoach?).

I doubt any major diesel/electric new or retooling for 2012 although new liveries will be around and will hopefully be better thought out than some past

Edit to add PS - presumably the previously mentioned (by SK) advances with Railmaster using mobile devices will be part of the announcement?

• RMweb Gold

If they have had time to react to the success of the SECR C class, perhaps an LSWR livery M7 would be worth a punt on their part, perhaps as a train pack with a re-liveried push-pull.

Sadly, Colin, the Hornby pull-push (SR terminology) set was entirely a BR invention, in 1959, indeed, to replace some very ancient coaches on no-hope lines. Suggestions elsewhere that these sets ever had anything to do with Southern suburbia are not supported by their allocations in fact.

It has also been suggested that the Maunsell BCK will be issued in original livery. There were 3 numbers issued in olive in the low-window (1926) version 6571/2/4, and I have 6583, high-window (1929) in olive, sitting on my desk from the Imperial Airways set. As Hattons are now offering Maunsells in their Xmas bargains, and ebay is awash with them - albeit few olive versions - I do not expect any further versions from Hornby beyond the now-next-June-at-the-earliest open coach.

Whilst there are some items from Hornby’s 2012 range carried over to next year and the supply issues have to be dealt with, I don’t believe that a year of “consolidation” is necessarily in order.

Hornby have traditionally kept their development under wraps longer than Bachmann for example even though the actual gestation periods must be quite similar. Bachmann have recently taken to announcing new models that are intended for release over the subsequent eighteen months.

So I feel it is Hornby’s intentions regarding its place in the market we should be looking at. If the new items show some degree of confidence in the company’s future then if some of Hornby’s 2013 range doesn’t appear until 2014 it’s not the end of the world.

RP

Archived