Hornby speculation thread

reevesthecat

• RMweb Premium

Hornby will be producing some nice steam locomotives, both big and small. Diesel locomotives in fancy liveries, may even be accompanied by a multiple unit. Not to sure about an electric loco or multiple unit but if they do it will look very good. Over recent years they have introduced some nice carriages and I am sure there are more in the offing. As for freight stock they could well do a few new air braked wagons and some departmental wagons. They will of course continue to make their private owner wagon in some not very well kown liveries.

All will look excellent, and run well. But I fear like so many recent years something new from Hornby that will suit Hanging Hill diesel depot is not going to happen. Unless they are going to make an anchor mounted tank wagon, in Shell-BP livery :nono:

A Rose by any other name is still a Rose....

Btw the Mayans were so clever that they didn't' recognise the need for leap days, their (The) big day is long passed.

Best, Pete

Edit :- My bold

B*ll*cks, Aww Shucks !!!...... I've just had the self same e-mail from Hattons, "Manufacturer's product discontinued"

Does this mean I've missed out again ??.... Are the Mayans running Big H ??.....even...Hornby ???........ Good grief !!...

I reckon the biggest gap in the D&E Market is a Sulzer Type 2 to modern standards, and Bachmann doesn't seem in a particular rush to bring out a new 25 so this could be an opening for Hornby. The 156 is also ripe for a new model, with loads of livery variations and almost 25 years on the clock. A new AC electric would certainly open this market up for a lot of modellers but it's a risky venture in the current climate.

COACHES

Which brings me to coaches - there's bound to be something; Hornby have found a niche and are exploiting it well and presumably profitably. The big question is what will it be - GW Toplights (what a jungle!) are the outstanding high scorers from 2009 and 2010 which have not appeared/been announced by anyone but I don't think it will be them. In fact my crystal ball remains very murky although I think non-gangwayed stock a little more likely than gangwayed and either LMS or GW (back to an autocoach?).

Coaches are the $64,000 question for me.

Is this the year of a GW coaching set?

The recent sequence has included coaches designed under:

• Maunsell
  • Stanier
  • Hawksworth
  • Gresley (suburbans)
  • Thomson (suburbans)

So everyone got a tick in the box (sort of). Except pre-war GWR. grumble grumble

What do we know? Hornby has scheduled the following:

• R4547 GWR Autocoach ......... April
  • R4549 GWR Sub B Coach ...... May
  • R4549A GWR Sub B Coach .... May

This strongly suggests to me that we won't see a retooled autocoach or GWR suburban set, and we will see *some* GWR coaches. Also, Bachmann Branchlines are close to releasing the LMS porthole stock. Hornby might elect to have a clearer field competitively right now and not offer LMS stock in 2013.

Is it time for the Churchward toplights? They do score highly with GWR fans and I'd love it, but ..

I'm leaning to the wildcard - the Coronation for the 75th anniversary of Mallard's run. All these years we've had Garter Blue A4s, yet never the train they were painted to pull. Commonweath of Australia is just becoming available in the original Coronation livery. If they do a 75th anniversary edition, a Mallard for 2013 is almost a no-brainer.

The original nine car formation is too long (and expensive) for the general market:

Brake 3rd + Kitchen 3rd, Vestibule 1st + Vestibule 1st, Vestibule 3rd + Kitchen 3rd, Vestibule 3rd + Brake 3rd, Observation

What if a cut down formation was offered?

Brake 3rd + Kitchen 3rd, Vestibule 1st + Brake 3rd, Observation car.

If the articulated sets were designed to disconnect, the remaining cars could be added later.

Brake 3rd + Kitchen 3rd, Vestibule 1st + Vestibule 1st, Vestibule 3rd + Kitchen 3rd, Vestibule 3rd + Brake 3rd, Observation

It's got the iconic (wow factor) flair that Hornby likes. With a locomotive, it's no longer or more expensive than a six-car Blue Pullman.

By the way, a 2BIL would satisfy Southern suburban fans quite nicely, and at two units it's inexpensive.

EDIT:

I had intended to include the following but forgot.

The other high-polling coach set is the SECR Birdcage set. These would look lovely with the Wainwright C class.

But at the end of the day, it's time. Time for S&DJR six-wheelers!

• RMweb Premium

Hornby will be producing some nice steam locomotives, both big and small. Diesel locomotives in fancy liveries, may even be accompanied by a multiple unit. Not to sure about an electric loco or multiple unit but if they do it will look very good. Over recent years they have introduced some nice carriages and I am sure there are more in the offing. As for freight stock they could well do a few new air braked wagons and some departmental wagons. They will of course continue to make their private owner wagon in some not very well kown liveries.

All will look excellent, and run well. But I fear like so many recent years something new from Hornby that will suit Hanging Hill diesel depot is not going to happen. Unless they are going to make an anchor mounted tank wagon, in Shell-BP livery :nono:

And be late on the expected deliverly times. :dontknow:

Hi. I am sure we are due for a 2BIL or something very similar. 2 coaches so cheap, Maunsell design so bogies might be similar, power unit from the 5 Bell and 56 years since the previous Southern EMU. Also an original Merchant Navy to make use of the existing chassis. An S15 is possible, the N15 tender could be used but loco wheelbase is different as are many other details. To keep up the pre-grouping theme and to link in with preserved locos a Brighton atlantic, the chassis could also be used for the GNR version.

Roger.

• RMweb Gold

They have built up so much experience with Maunsell coaches they must surely do the 2BIL, plenty of liveries, cheaper to buy than a four,five or eight car unit and fits in well with their 5BEL. However I have been thinking that for the last 4 years so I could be wrong again.

The other obvious low hanging fruit for them would be the original Merchant Navy that would complement their very successful Pullmans. Given the state of the economy and their production problems I can't see them being very outlandish this year whatever we might wish them to produce. I would love to see them do some proper Bulleid coaches and restaurant cars, they do have the bogies after all. Sometimes being cautious is the best business strategy, look at PECO, not many other British modelling companies as old a them!

Godfrey

COACHES

Coaches are the $64,000 question for me.

Is this the year of a GW coaching set?

The recent sequence has included coaches designed under:

• Maunsell
  • Stanier
  • Hawksworth
  • Gresley (suburbans)
  • Thomson (suburbans)

So everyone got a tick in the box (sort of). Except pre-war GWR. grumble grumble

What do we know? Hornby has scheduled the following:

• R4547 GWR Autocoach ......... April
  • R4549 GWR Sub B Coach ...... May
  • R4549A GWR Sub B Coach .... May

This strongly suggests to me that we won't see a retooled autocoach or GWR suburban set, and we will see *some* GWR coaches. Also, Bachmann Branchlines are close to releasing the LMS porthole stock. Hornby might elect to have a clearer field competitively right now and not offer LMS stock in 2013.

Is it time for the Churchward toplights? They do score highly with GWR fans and I'd love it, but ..

I'm leaning to the wildcard - the Coronation for the 75th anniversary of Mallard's run. All these years we've had Garter Blue A4s, yet never the train they were painted to pull. Commonweath of Australia is just becoming available in the original Coronation livery. If they do a 75th anniversary edition, a Mallard for 2013 is almost a no-brainer.

The original nine car formation is too long (and expensive) for the general market:

What if a cut down formation was offered?

Brake 3rd + Kitchen 3rd, Vestibule 1st + Brake 3rd, Observation car.

If the articulated sets were designed to disconnect, the remaining cars could be added later.

It's got the iconic (wow factor) flair that Hornby likes. With a locomotive, it's no longer or more expensive than a six-car Blue Pullman.

By the way, a 2BIL would satisfy Southern suburban fans quite nicely, and at two units it's inexpensive.

The underlined has been on the cards for some time, also the Maunsell Class S15..

That's the hand I'm a'playin',,Two Aces.

OK , Edit...Just been dealt a wild card, and, knowing who's dealing (Deal, being a place in Kent), it's showing another Ace. An original Merchant Navy, along the lines of Triang's TT guage 'Clan Line'

My cards, now three Aces, are on the table. Raise ? or fold ?

Guest dubdee1000

On the theme of "design clever" how about using the design effort of the L1 towards a K1?

This is not so much 'design clever' but reverse engineering ( :paint: think about it!)

Well, a couple of years ago or so, I confidently predicted that Hornby should 'do' the new class 70 and as we know, B'mann beat them with a commercial tie up with Freightliner - could Hornby get in with DRS and the class 68? Who knows, I'm not betting!

I will however bet that Hornby won't do their excellent class 56 in Large Logo Blue! (See what I did there!?!).

Cheers,

John E.

I rekon a Class 87 or 90 will be Hornbys modern super detailed model of 2013. Hopefully both in Virgin, Freightliner and EWS liveries. I think theres a fair amount of demand for these locos. I hope they will make more modern era stuff too across their whole range too, they seem to lean more towards steam than todays stock.

I think another model manufacturer has the SECR locos tidied up seeing as they were down there a few weeks back having a look at one.... all be the coaches are in need of doing for those.

Anyway Hornby I don't expect too much from them this year, nothing suprising anyway... maybe all the cancelled stuff from this years range? or something clever seeing as the Metropolitain railway is 150 this coming year.... and they have some nice Teak coaches already... would be nice.. suppose I can keep dreaming on that.

Southern

S15 would make sense as many have said on here and would be a popular model.

GWR

A new chassis on the Dean Goods would be nice - but they might be put off by the reaction to the 4-4-0 due to the lack of detailing on the ex Dapol model.

A new auto coach would be a low risk - might the auto tank be retooled?

LNER

I would expect only reliveries of A4s for Mallard 75.

LMS

Mogul would be a good release

BR

Duke - very unlikely!

Perhaps an a working level crossing for the finer scale modeller?

My predictions for this year:

LMS : Stanier Mogul

BR: Duke of Gloucester

LNER: re-tooled D49 Shire (I think the valve gear variations on the Hunts would be a step too far)

Outside bet : GWR Steam Railmotor (a popular prototype at the moment , and fits in nicely with the Edwardian / Pre-grouping trend of late)

Rolling stock wise , a Hawksworth Autocoach , BR 21T hopper (based on the existing Tope wagon).

its quite possible the decisions on new items for 2013 to be released to the public in a weeks time may well have been made by the Hornby team 2 or 3 years back. now its also possible that those plans could be tweaked or changed in the intervening time and I think I might be right in saying that 3 years ago Hornby wasnt quite as in the doldrums as it seems to be now (were the annual financials as poor back then??) and that could have played a part in whats made it through or been canned.

If an interview thread and speculation thread generates this much comment, I bets reserve myself a comfy chair ready to read the "post-announcement" thread comments :)

So glad though that we arent having to wait over the holiday for this and we can all vent our spleens well before Xmas!

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the very low stocks of the 5BEL 1930s umber and cream version available for sale now, I think Hornby considers the Belle a success and they'll bring out the later, more popular umber and cream versions of the 50s and 60s, including those with small yellow front panels.

If that happened, it may set the stage for the introduction of a 2BIL unit in order so that modellers could run both types alongside each other.

• RMweb Gold

That I've spent quite a lot of time working on rebuilding Lima 87s this year would suggest that an all new 87 is high on the list, that said though I've also been working on class 86s quite a lot too... I don't have any 90s (too new for my era) so I doubt that will be there.

I'm still holding out for real freightliner wagons as I've predicted - wrongly - for the last few years.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Bude with the proper tender in BR green.

They must get round to it one day as they have the tooling.

Bernard

Gets my vote - it's a classic 'they have all the bits' no-brainer - should have been done long before now really. Please!

The underlined has been on the cards for some time, also the Maunsell Class S15..

That's the hand I'm a'playin',,Two Aces.

OK , Edit...Just been dealt a wild card, and, knowing who's dealing (Deal, being a place in Kent), it's showing another Ace. An original Merchant Navy, along the lines of Triang's TT guage 'Clan Line'

My cards, now three Aces, are on the table. Raise ? or fold ?

Were I a betting man, I'd say the odds (conventionally speaking) on a 2BIL or S15 are pretty good.

I've got a marker on an as-built Flannel Jacket too.

Farish is committed to do the as-built Merchant Navy, and we could extrapolate that fact to one being announced by Bachmann Branch Lines in 00 for 2013-14. The question, is will Hornby steal their thunder, so I'm a bit skeptical there, but did put my marker down anyway.

The Coronation train is a high stakes wager. Long odds that it would actually happen.

Guest Belgian

Gets my vote - it's a classic 'they have all the bits' no-brainer - should have been done long before now really. Please!

Ahhhh . . . but which tender? With or without raves? I would go for the cut-down version as 'Bude' doubled-headed with 'Biggin Hill' on the last day of the S&D and Hornby does seem to like having something on which to hang an S&D tag.

I think the book should be closed on the 2-BIL now and that Stationmaster Mike be declared the winner.

JE

Archived