Hornby speculation thread

reevesthecat

The highly detailed train pack will consist of Caley 0-4-0ST "Nicola Sturgeon" plus three 4 wheel carriages all in Scotrail "Saltire" livery.

Very good! Made me chuckle. Just hope you are wrong and that Hornby don't think they can satisfy their Scottish customers by trotting out that "Pug" or the 4-2-2 again!

Seriously, I know people may think there will be consolidation and it may be there will be a few less items than last year, but I'll bet there will be some headliners in there. They need a big marketing splash , create a bit of excitement,and a good news story to get people talking about Hornby positively again.

For me I think modern image has been a bit forgotten of late in Hornby, so I reckon a full spec Class 90 will appear. Not sure about Mk3s as these are relatively recent (10 years?). Hornby have a habit of thinking new paint jobs will make up for any deficiencies , and fair enough , you really don't see many Mk3s on shelves of the most popular liveries ie Blue/Grey and Intercity.

As they followed the CEP with a VEP how about following the 350 with a modern electric unit. Is it an Electrostar? Can they bring it in at a price people will buy though? Maybe this is where "Design Clever" comes in - it may appear as an extension to Rairoad range, sort of as the same category as Tornado, I think the first model specifically designed for Railroad.

While clearly Hornby are into Steamers , I think they won't follow Bachmann down the small pre grouping route as they seem to have difficulty making these pay (Look at prices of 2p and 4f compared to Bachmann). For that reason I dont think you'll get a loco drive Deans Goods anytime soon. I reckon there will be a big headline model. I can't remember what came top of the wish list/ survey this year but I'd bet on a 47XX 2-8-0 or a P1 . The latter less likely because they seem to have released a lot of LNER engines of late.

A Blue Tornado is a dead cert.

Coaches are an obvious money spinner for them, so I;ll bet on a range of suburban coaches for LMS. As they "in filled" the Gresley Full Brake to the range last year, I think the 60'Stanier CK will appear this year.

I don't think there will be any new 4 wheel wagons. They couldn't achieve the price they expected for new wagons a few years ago and so I think they've gone off this, unless its a big item that could command a premium. Parcels stock maybe? Revamped Siphon G?

The catalogue could do with some new ideas . The last 4 or 5 all look exactly the same. Very professional but pretty un inspiring now.

News, not speculation !!

Hornby model paint production exits China as costs soar

Model maker Hornby has strengthened its British manufacturing base and pulled capacity out of China as cost of labour in the Asian giant escalates.

http://www.telegraph...costs-soar.html

First paint - what next !!

Brit15

I would think a set of the Thompson subs in "reversed" livery must be high on the list of possibilities.

However, knowing the lack of logical thinking at Hornby, it would not surprise me if they turn down the opportunity to make some quick cash out of existing tooling.

Come on Hornby please me and surprise me.

Bernard

Hi. Sorry but I don't understand, what is reversed livery?

Roger.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe its just me but the general feeling I got from SKs interview wasnt one of a company planning on holding back in 2013 (or as some have put it "consolidating") at all although when Andy asked that one directly SK never actually gave a black and white yes or no.

I really dont feel it would be a very good move by Hornby to just throw us a few relivery bones simply to enable them to catch up with the delayed models. If they took this easy way out Hornby would just fall off the radars of even more people when they need to stem the flow now, not tomorrow and so when SK said "surprise no.1 is XXXXX" one could imply there is at least a surprise no.2 up their sleeve.

Agree absolutely - and surely the message from SK was 'business as usual' for the model railway arm of the empire, which has its own budget and hasn't been hit (yet?) by the financial problems elsewhere in the group. So yes - normal approach regarding new releases nothwithstanding the various problems.

And let's face if Hornby is to maintain its market momentum it really has little choice but to follow that course, production delays or no production delays.

Hi. Sorry but I don't understand, what is reversed livery?

Roger.

These coaches can have square corners or rounded corners to the windows depending on the building date.

So far Hornby have released/promised one variant in marroon and the other variant in teak.

So they can produce each variant in the other livery with a relatively small extra set up cost. Hence my use of the term reversed.

Bernard

These coaches can have square corners or rounded corners to the windows depending on the building date.

So far Hornby have released/promised one variant in marroon and the other variant in teak.

So they can produce each variant in the other livery with a relatively small extra set up cost. Hence my use of the term reversed.

Bernard

And there was I hoping they'd be produced in the natty Pullman grey/blue livery...

Paul

Bernard

Bernard. Thanks, that explains it. Roger.

• RMweb Premium

That said if one follows the trend I could quite easily see a surprise or two, people have pointed out about the Autocoach and GWR B set have already been announced, but what if they were new toolings hidden in plain sight? After all it would fit the pattern of non-gangwayed stock (Gresleys, SR p-p, Thompsons) and the '67 was well known about before it arrived, who knows.

That had occurred to me too considering the age of the existing toolings (even if they are vehicles from the "other" company). :pardon:

• RMweb Gold

News, not speculation !!

Hornby model paint production exits China as costs soar

Model maker Hornby has strengthened its British manufacturing base and pulled capacity out of China as cost of labour in the Asian giant escalates.

http://www.telegraph...costs-soar.html

First paint - what next !!

Brit15

Not exactly news around these parts though... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64810-Hornby-returns-humbrol-manufacturing-to-the-uk/

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I guess the point of this thread is to put ourselves in Hornby's shoes, and try to work out what new models would prove most profitable for the company. And since very little information has been released on the relative profitability of previous releases this is a pretty impossible task. I wouldn't have expected an 01 to be that profitable (pleased as I am by its appearance), but Hornby presumably have their reasons - good or bad - for thinking it will be. Unless of course they know that any new loco will sell, provided they don't over-price it.

To take an almost random example (element of wish-listing freely admitted), do people think an N7 would be commercially successfully? It's cute, even in BR black with silver smokebox rings and red-backed numberplates, and it's a vital missing part of the GE and southern GN scenes. Most people who need one would need two or three. It seems like a good bet to me, but since Hornby's calculations hardly ever chime with my intuition, I very much doubt that we'll see one.

As they followed the CEP with a VEP how about following the 350 with a modern electric unit. Is it an Electrostar? Can they bring it in at a price people will buy though?

How have the sales of the Desiro been? Whilst it seems a well-regarded model, has it sold in sufficient quantities to generate further interest in the EMU market? I would like to hope so but we may have to wait and see. I know some Electrostars are dual voltage, are there any uints that regularly operate on both 3rd rail and OHEL? These would be obvious candidates if so.

EDIT: - Just checked and the 375/377 units seem to offer the greatest range of operation for the minimum amount of new tooling. They cover Southestern, Southern and Thameslink services as some go out as far as Milton Keynes on the WCML so could run alongside Bachmann's Desiros quite nicely.

I can't remember what came top of the wish list/ survey this year but I'd bet on a 47XX 2-8-0 or a P1 . The latter less likely because they seem to have released a lot of LNER engines of late.

A big 4700 would be most welcome. With the new build "Night Owl" in progress at Didcot, it must have crossed someone's mind that it could lead to interest in the class. Plus it would be an easy reuse of the 4000 gallon Collett tender.

I "speculate" that after Hornby's announcement there will be a race by people to see who can get in the "why didn't they" or "NOW ! What will Bachmann announce" posts.

no speculation in that at all really - happens every year. its just part of how the hobby has changed in these modern times.

what you missed off that list though are the " I knew I was right" brigade coming on wanting to put the smugness out there. we mustnt forget those guys. I still wouldnt let them pick my 6 lotto numbers.

For my bet I would love to see Horrnby get their act together and get their staff to actually answer e-mails and a much better spares department. I know certain retailers stock a limited amount of spares but certain bits see increasingly hard to obtain.

Model front I would Hornby would give serious consideration to Class 142 (Otherwise Real track may pinch it) and Class 156 desparately needs a make over.

Outside chance a 66 to compete with Bachmann, otherwise Class 86/87/90/91 could be the next super model, the Class 58/59 prime candidates

But seriously though 2016 olympics may catch on in javelin form :jester:

Had a look at the chicken giblets left over from Sunday lunch. A 2-BIL, a 54/64/74xx and 375/3 + 377/3 Electrostars. Think the first two might be a given though reckon they'd be better re-doing the 48xx/14xx to todays levels. A bit left field but a 3 car Electrostar might not be a jump too far. Interesting to see if anyone jumps on the Overground bandwagon.

Stu

Obviously a 2-BIL, S15, Adams Radial and a Brighton Atlantic..............

Repeat after me, "This is NOT a wish list, you're a naughty, naughty boy......................" :nono:

That's clearly speculation, not wishlisting. Just because you happen to wish for what you're speculating about... :mosking:

Archived