Hornby speculation thread

reevesthecat

• RMweb Premium

Lol probably best just shutting this now, saving Andy the grief of having to Police it . After all we are less than 1 day from the pukka announcement and for those seeking out details its already on the web, so as pointed out speculation can end.

• RMweb Premium

Having just received a Bachmann City, I hope to see some Toplights.... Long appeared in the Annual Polls..... Surely their day will come soon in RTR

Now I am not sure if that comes in the category of speculation, wish-list, frothing, leaking, or just nonsense! In either case, I'm looking forward to tomorrow lunchtime when it will all be over... For another year.... The cynic in me then looks forward to the follow-on thread "delays to the 2013 models" - sorry can't resist!!!

Lol probably best just shutting this now, saving Andy the grief of having to Police it .

I agree, we'l have some peace and quiet for a bit until midday please. After that I'll probably comment further.

The reason that a 'leak' ocurred was accidental and unfortunate. The software which was being used to compile the Model Railways Live pages had left a vulnerability that any tagged images may have shown up in certain search terms revealing the url to pages which were under construction. As all settings had been set up correctly internally no-one internally was aware of the vulnerability.

It seems that a link was posted within a closed Facebook group late on Friday which then started to circulate primarily through Facebook. Fortunately I was able to get hold of a couple of people just about to sit down to tuck into their turkey at the Christmas do and the urls were amended within an hour or so of the first reports. I can understand that such a leak would be of interest to some people but what I found particularly unpleasant was the way two former members of RMweb (Tim Hale and Bob Hughes) sought to publish the material as widely as they could on other sites and their own (Bob Hughes also used one of his time-wasting multiple IDs to post the contents in Early Risers (why!?)), not apparently just as a means to notify people but with more than a hint of malice that the exposure was intended to embarrass us and specifically me (when in reality the issue was nothing to do with me or RMweb). There are good reasons why some people are banned from using RMweb and some people including those named have sought to make as much of a stink as they can rather than accept their removal(s) and move on (I certainly don't feel the need to chase them around the internet hounding them but they seem to feel it's acceptable to do so). I certainly don't have the time to entertain their activities but it's disappointing when they choose to work outside any framework that is requested by a manufacturer or anyone else and try to spoil other peoples' efforts, arrangements or the enjoyment of those who don't want to know stuff in advance.

Their actions are something they should rightfully feel ashamed rather than proud of in my opinion.

As a postscript the manufacturer has sent a very supportive email over the issue and they're pleased the information was available to readers whilst their own site was under load.

Archived