Hornby speculation thread

reevesthecat

• RMweb Premium

Based on the amount of modelling time it has taken up since June, I predict that Hornby will produce a RTR Black Country Blues layout complete with an authentic Johnie Gringo conducting his orchestra of DCC button pushers.

They could re-introduce the CKD (completley knocked down) range of self assembly kits. (remember them ?).

First off could be a Railroad CKD "Flying Scotsman", with no screwdriver, instructions and a couple of parts missing / broken. Could be re-branded as "Just like the real thing" !!

Hat --- Coat -----

Hopefully though a few "bread and butter" items, like Plate wagons would be nice.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

If Hornby do do a 2Bil, as suggested by several members, I would hope that they offer it in 2-car and 4-car versions. "What 4-car version?" I hear you ask. Simple: a 4-car version is 2 2-car sets, one powered and the other unpowered. I remember seeing these units rushing through Battersea Park station in 8-car trains, either all 2Bil, or a mixture with 2Hal units.

I thought the new Mk 3 came out around 2001/02 ?

This was covered way back on RMweb and it was noted that the first full-length Mk3's appeared around 1998/99.

The same subject has been covered on MRF and other forums. The date can be traced from the model number release dates.

So yes, it's 14+ years since first introduction.

Im fairly sure the ones you can buy in the shops now are not the same at those released in the 1990s. the current ones had a bit of makeover ooh im guessing about 4 or 5 years ago where they lost the old deep Lima glazing and fitted much flusher windows and new wheelsets (as a minimum). at least the TF, TSO and restaurant did - I think the sleeper and TGS might still be using the Lima tooling. I cant keep up.......

The TGS is from the old Lima tooling.

The TGS is indeed a rehash of the old Lima TGS, as is the Mk3 Sleeper.

The full length Hornby Mk3's have undergone several changes and improvements over the years.

IIRC early ones had silvered window surrounds (I've got several boxed up here) and IIRC it originally had plastic wheels which were changed early on for metal.

Since then there have been improvements to the bogies and wheels.

AFAIK the Lima style glazing was not a feature of the Hornby examples.

My predictions for 2013

based on the 2012 new tooling releases below

SR - 0 loco - 1 Brighton Belle- 1 coach

LMS - 0 loco - 0 coaches

GWR - 3 loco - 0 coaches

LNER - 2 loco - 7 coaches

For 2013, based on my thaughts how Hornby's policy work

SR - possible a S15 - Merchant Navy or big tenderloco, for the coach a restaurant car and a few reliveries of the older Maunsell stuff, hopefully the coachnumbers for the incomplete sets they made

a few years ago ,a N15 in SR livery with 8 wheel Drummond tender has'nt been made yet so could be possible.

LMS - a older big type passenger loco in crimson -composite coach and some non corridor coaches

GWR - maybe a little 64xx - an auto coach and new Collet coaches

LNER - celebrating Mallard with dynometer coach or as mentioned before in this thread

a eyewatering Coronation set with lightning in 2 car set-boxes and seperated observation car

so everyone can buy what they want to spent on it, possible with shortcoupling between the 2 carsets

that can been changed for normal couplings when people only want a smaller rank

But whatever they bring from the GRT4 I take it all !!!

Pullman coaches a few reliveries maybe 12 wheeler 40-41 K-type, 32 - Ursula - Juna,

and some postwar liveries, Hornby has produced sinds begin of the Pullmans all the coaches to make the complete Devon Belle train 2, nearly complete train 1 and a nearly complete pre-war Bournemouth Belle, so I would not been surprised if some of these are coming.

• RMweb Premium

My prediction is livery variations on the Class 56:

(any from)

BR Blue

Railfreight

Loadhaul

Dutch

EWS

Colas

DCR Green

DCR Grey (maybe 56312 with NRM Railfest advertising)

Fastline

Fertis

Purple Artemis

Cant think of any other Class 56 livery that could possibly be a huge crowd pleaser, can you :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :O

Cant think of any other Class 56 livery that could possibly be a huge crowd pleaser, can you :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :O

Railfreight-with or without the red stripe.

Europhoenix...?

Transrail...?

Floyd...?

I've also seen a model "faked" into NSE, although the real locos ended up in Dutch.

I think Hornby will have a more extensive and positive programme than some have suggested - though given the postings suggesting there might be no new models , that's not hard... However it may be smaller than in some previous years. They've generally given us 3-4 locos/multiple units and a new range of coaches each year plus a couple of wagons, and some blasts from the past.

So we might be seeing 2 locos, a multiple unit, and a small range of coaches, with a couple of wagons this year.

The idea that this year will finally see a Maunsell EMU (other than the Belle) has a strong logic. Someone suggested that Hornby might do a big Southern tank - but the reason neither Bachmann or Hornby have done one is that big tanks were for heavy suburban duties: the Southern electrified and used EMUs instead and after the Sevenoaks accident in 1927 , Herbert Walker effectively banned big tanks from passenger duties

The small range of coaches will probably be LMS non-corridor stock. Hornby have been acclaimed for their LNER non-corridor stock, their LMS coaching range is comparatively weak (compared to their SR, LNER, and even GW ranges) and there's a clear gap in the market, with only the elderly Dapol models available. Two or three types of LMS non-corridor, plus perhaps the elusive 60' corridor composite (or perhaps not, if they are tooling up a 2-BIL as well)

They have built a bit of a niche in NPCS - what comes next is unclear, but a new BR CCT would be a credible choice , or perhaps something ex LMS. Wagons are more difficult to predict - but I suspect this is one area where people will be groaning over lack of initiaitve and complaining that the wagon range needs strengthening. Maybe 1 new item this year.

The two locos are difficult to predict. I think they might go quiet on the LNER this year, SR locos are largely mined out (Maunsell didn't actually design a lot of steam classes , and Bulleid managed just 3 I think - excluding the Leader), BR Standards are almost completely mined out, and nearly all the major LMS classes are done. A Stanier Mogul makes some sense as one of the few LMS options left - somehow a Stanier 0-4-4T doesn't seem like a credible move . They might do a GW loco - we seem to be getting round to the GWR in terms of new RTR . A 54/64XX makes sense (they badly need a decent Pannier, and it would go with the autocoach) a new 43XX might make sense , but a 2013 range needs a big green engine as a flagship, and pregrouping is a growing "theme" , so that points to a Saint or a Star. If a Star would fit the Castle chassis , it might be a good cheap option, and the real things ran from before WW1 to the late 50s - this is a big 4-6-0 that might look in place on a 50s secondary working

So that's a Star (maybe with 2 or 3 varients covered) a Stanier Mogul, a 2 BIL, some LMS non-corridors, maybe an LMS CCT. The LNER's missing out, so my guess is anew Toad B or Toad E (they have history in the range) as the new wagon

And in the "blasts from the past" re-release of the N2 , and in the "why did they bother/ how dare they?" slot , the old Lima J50 reappears on the current Hornby 0-6-0 chassis for £75 , replacing the J83

Blue Tornado, Themed Mallard and Flying Scotsman , etc

And for 2014 /5 some things to wait for: a new autocoach - (Railmotor conversion) , a GW steam railmotor derived from it (think of it as a steam powered 153...) and a 64XX to go with it. At some point I reckon an LNER Sentinel Railcar may appear (another steam-powered 153... They have the motor bogie)

Will Hornby finally bite the bullet on an LNER 0-6-0T in 2014-5? J50 or Buckjumper? A new Modernisation Plan DMU ?

If Hornby do do a 2Bil, as suggested by several members, I would hope that they offer it in 2-car and 4-car versions. "What 4-car version?" I hear you ask. Simple: a 4-car version is 2 2-car sets, one powered and the other unpowered. I remember seeing these units rushing through Battersea Park station in 8-car trains, either all 2Bil, or a mixture with 2Hal units.

Good point Budgie.

ISTR Triang offering an un-powered GM (Dummy) F / B (?) unit / loco in their 'Transcontinental' range, way, way back.

It also begs the question. If a 2-BIL is forthcoming, will Hornby consider following Replica's lead in offering a separate, adequately powered chassis ?

Your idea, plus CKDs, plus chassis, could, possibly, be obtained through ordering from the spares sheets, (spare bodies aren't listed tho')..... but are there enough 3rd. rail, or other modellers, out there to satisfy the market.?.

How many others would prefer an off the shelf, factory produced un-powered loco / unit / chassis ?, be those steam, diesel or electric, keeping in mind Bachmann's reluctance to expand their powered chassis range.

An opening for Hornby ? ... Maybe, maybe not.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the Railmotor too...

I know for a fact that as of 1445 hrs on Sunday 18/11/12, no one had approached the Great Western Society with any requests for information on Steam Railmotor No.93.... ;)

Edit - as regards a 64XX, I've always thought that it's only a matter of time...

Guest jim s-w

I know for a fact that as of 1445 hrs on Sunday 18/11/12, no one had approached the Great Western Society with any requests for information on Steam Railmotor No.93.... ;)

Its worth remembering that when a manufactuer announces something the project will have been live for a year or two already (perhaps not Dapol though)

Cheers

Jim

Given the success of the SECR Wainwright C, perhaps Hornby will go for another "cute" kettle.

Won't dispute the logic of what you say - but timescale? The C hit shelves and started rushing straight back off them a few weeks back - any Hornby model launched as a result of Margate seeing that success would be lucky to be ready for Xmas 2014! Development processes do take time - especially as we want a pukka model.

It's not as though Hornby entirely ignore the "cute" kettles and need to witness Bachmann's success to do them. It's not that long ago that they did the LSWR T9. (Anachronisms and production issues for that model aside.)

• RMweb Premium

Hell, I've no idea what Hornby might make and it's too late in the day to come up with insightful and rationally argued choices, so hold onto your hats and stand by for some ridiculous suggestions.

Drummond's 'the bug'.

Aerolite

Furness well tank

Simplex shunter

Model T railbus

Ruston 88 DS

That is all. I do love a good speculation thread.

Speculation. Isn't it fun.

One thing I am certain of is that whilst I personally hope Hornby will surprise me by announcing something that I actually want and can use, looking at the past few years I feel confident that I will by and large be disappointed. Of course there will be some who will be rightly incontinent with excitement on the 17th and equally probably as many who will just shrug their shoulders and look forward to the Barwell announcements next year!

I can't help feeling though we are likely to see a some scaling back or rescheduling in new models due to the supply line issues, and apart from reliveries the emphasis on any new toolings will again be on steam as this market seems to be where Hornby have pitched their "serious" hobby-model range (at a push, a predominantly steam era electric unit like the 2-BIL might make it into the range). There may possibly be some new rolling stock, the LMS non-corridors possibly being a contender as you really could get away with just a Brake 3rd and a Composite and recycle the 57ft chassis.

As for the Mk2 aircons which came reasonably high up in the wishlist poll, I just can't see Hornby wanting to spend money on a new model when the venerable Airfix Mk2d, which owes them nothing, still sells. I genuinely don't think the Rail Blue/Sector BR era is seen as a high priority for Hornby at present. I know there have been new items covering the post 1968 period but not as many as new steam or steam era releases, and I'd be surprised given the panning the 4-VEP got if the trend in favour of the Big 4 - BR Steam period will change soon. Let's face it if they are making money on high detail steam, and are happy that the existing largely acquired toolings catering for the post-1968 BR modellers are still selling in sufficient numbers to make a contribution to the bottom line, why should a plc like Hornby commit investment to a market segment that to be honest can be more difficult to satisfy?

The cynic in me can't help thinking (rather acidly I grant you) that Hornby possibly thinks steam era modellers are of an advanced age that will largely forget detail anomolies on the prototypes which have long gone, whereas Rail Blue onward modellers appear less forgiving because they are more familiar with the prototypes, many of which are still around!

Hornby have a habit of producing top class new OO gauge models in general. In my opinion they are far superior to those on the other side and much more user friendly in all respects. It would be nice if they were to announce an upgrade to their dcc control options bringing these in line with the quality of there more recent models

Douglas

In my opinion they are far superior to those on the other side and much more user friendly in all respects.

Douglas,

Before a swarm of people respond to you, I'll say that you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I continue to be a big Hornby fan. They can and do make excellent 00 models. Having said that, Bachmann Branch Lines is currently on the top of their game and are producing outstanding models. Dapol is also making outstanding 00 models.

I wouldn't make the same statement as yours. I think the state of 00 models today is very impressive - from all manufacturers.

Interesting,

The topic is about a wishlist from Hornby and my wish would be that their dcc control equipment meets the standard of their top class models.

On your comment about the other manufacturers I think that Bachmann are manufacturing outstanding diesel locomotives but fairly poor new entry's into the steamer market, the lack of tender pickups on many models is a big disadvantage and Hornby have long since overcome this problem. I also think that the advances all manufacturers have made over the last 5 years or so is quite astounding. Dapol models for example are very interesting indeed

I should stress my comments are merely an opinion and probably off topic

ds

Speculation. Isn't it fun.

One thing I am certain of is that whilst I personally hope Hornby will surprise me by announcing something that I actually want and can use, looking at the past few years I feel confident that I will by and large be disappointed. Of course there will be some who will be rightly incontinent with excitement on the 17th and equally probably as many who will just shrug their shoulders and look forward to the Barwell announcements next year!

I can't help feeling though we are likely to see a some scaling back or rescheduling in new models due to the supply line issues, and apart from reliveries the emphasis on any new toolings will again be on steam as this market seems to be where Hornby have pitched their "serious" hobby-model range (at a push, a predominantly steam era electric unit like the 2-BIL might make it into the range). There may possibly be some new rolling stock, the LMS non-corridors possibly being a contender as you really could get away with just a Brake 3rd and a Composite and recycle the 57ft chassis.

As for the Mk2 aircons which came reasonably high up in the wishlist poll, I just can't see Hornby wanting to spend money on a new model when the venerable Airfix Mk2d, which owes them nothing, still sells. I genuinely don't think the Rail Blue/Sector BR era is seen as a high priority for Hornby at present. I know there have been new items covering the post 1968 period but not as many as new steam or steam era releases, and I'd be surprised given the panning the 4-VEP got if the trend in favour of the Big 4 - BR Steam period will change soon. Let's face it if they are making money on high detail steam, and are happy that the existing largely acquired toolings catering for the post-1968 BR modellers are still selling in sufficient numbers to make a contribution to the bottom line, why should a plc like Hornby commit investment to a market segment that to be honest can be more difficult to satisfy?

The cynic in me can't help thinking (rather acidly I grant you) that Hornby possibly thinks steam era modellers are of an advanced age that will largely forget detail anomolies on the prototypes which have long gone, whereas Rail Blue onward modellers appear less forgiving because they are more familiar with the prototypes, many of which are still around!

I agree with the comments that Rail Blue/Sector BR era is not a priority for Hornby. Best lef to Bachann who do it so much better.

Its worth remembering that when a manufactuer announces something the project will have been live for a year or two already (perhaps not Dapol though)

Cheers

Jim

Which is why i think there won't be an all-new AC electric, its too. Soon after the Bachmann 85 release to judge of there is an easy market.

But they ought to consider a Freightliner grey 90 as they've yet to produce this livery, and it can go with their Pretendolino, now the real train has gone off lease...

Archived