Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Well, if you don't know already I'm not about to tell you.

Chris

Don't forget the full set of Working Tools, to keep things square, level and upright. The Volume of the Sacred Law (aka The 2mm Handbook) also needs to open at an appropriate place...

Edward S

• Like 1

Don't forget the full set of Working Tools, to keep things square, level and upright. The Volume of the Sacred Law (aka The 2mm Handbook) also needs to open at an appropriate place...

Edward S

Indeed. Although only the true inner circle really understand the meaning of the digital calipers.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Simple things...

Just made the coupling between the engine & tender for Lord President. The front end is conventional, with a 12 BA bolt mounted as per the Cartazzi truck. The back end fits into a clevis cut into the black acetal block that makes up the tender chassis spacer. This chassis was originally made by Denys Brownlee for an A1. The jaws of the clevis are tapped 10 BA and the bolt simply passes through them and the coupling.

6p8dok.jpg

242ecmc.jpg

Inside every lump of copper tungsten there is a shape trying to get out.

178xtk.jpg

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5

Incredible work Tim! I've said it elsewhere but I cannot wait to see this locomotive in the flesh!

This chassis was originally made by Denys Brownlee for an A1.

As long as it isn't the tender chassis for 'The Brownlee' A1! ;)

Edited by Atso

Edward S

Eddie,

The what? The 2mm Handbook has not been around for seemingly decades now. And newer Association members will not be aware of its contents. Fortunately, I have copies of both the blue and green covered versions. For sure, still an interesting read, but more of an historical snapshot of 2mm modelling in the 1970s and '80s. 

In practice, I find that for a lot of the techniques and guidance required for 2mm finescale modelling (or any finescale modelling for that matter, including S scale), the Scalefour Society's publications and data sheets are far more relevant and practical - and better produced. Good ideas and inspiration travels across the scales!  

Eddie,

The what? The 2mm Handbook has not been around for seemingly decades now. And newer Association members will not be aware of its contents.

You only need to logon to the members area of 2mm.org.uk to download it. Same dated text but spanking new font and delivery method.

It's not quite as out-of-date as you imply  - last rewritten in 1990 and last reprinted in 1996. Some sections have for sure aged faster than others - the wagon chassis section bears little resemblence to what we do today. Whereas the couplings and signals chapters are still quite pertinent

But as a sacred text, it's fine. The most commonly used version of the Bible is much much older. :mosking:

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

It is testament to the sterling work done by the various Association officers over the years that much of the Handbook is out of date or redundant. Other scale organisations may have great data sheets or publications, but our range of products and components takes some beating for quality and constructability. If the Association has produced one "bible" in recent years it must surely be the Track book, a publication embraced by many members and modellers in other scales alike.

Edited by Yorkshire Square

• RMweb Premium

Inside the lump of copper tungsten a front pony truck was waiting to emerge for Lord President, to give the full compliment of wheels. I decided to just make the pony a simple core, adding the detail of the bearing guards and front stretchers later. The frames required a massive opening up of the wheel arches in front of the cylinders to give wheel clearance, but fortunately, this is invisible behind the fairings. The wheels are currently just placed in the bearings, but I have a cunning plan to make a scale axle: big muffs at the front of an engine spoil it's looks; although the axle, is in fact, pretty well hidden on these engines.

296ccns.jpg

The pony has now been split and is having its first bake of insulating Araldite in the slot (as per the Cartazzi truck).

Tim

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

sorry that's wrong no Builders tea   ( which is what we do ie build things or at least attempt to)

Nick

that not a drink more like a stain coat.

Don

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Premium

Clearances in all axes at the front end on Lord President need to be generous, because of the long rigid wheelbase. The first photo shows the pony truck mounting. This is a brass hollow pillar with a long 12 BA bolt passing through. The pivot bearing is insulated from the pony by a top hat plastic bush, which also allows the required amount of pony movement with the bolt tightened up into the body.

dr801w.jpg

There is a massive amount of space above the pony pivot arm and the truck itself. I might put a large weight on top of this to aid road holding. Horizontal steering of the engine might be achieved by a phosphor bronze wire soldered to the brass pivot pillar, loosely engaging in a midline slot in the top of the upward weight extension, so centering the pony truck.

2mhydqw.jpg

The need for clearance in the frames can be seen by the fact that the flange interferes significantly, as seen in the above photo with the pony slewed over. In reality, the frames would toe-in at the front, but I have not done this, so as to make the front guard irons better placed.

The massive cut out is simply masked by the fairings. Thinking about it, the need for frames in this region at all is a bit moot. At least the guard irons are good and stout!

wmh7kk.jpg

2vmsqbd.jpg

Will get the pony wheel axle sorted out next week. In the meantime, I might give the brake gear or flywheel a bit of thought. At least LP is now a Mikado.

Tim

• Like 5

What's on my workbench? Everything by the looks of it!

fmp11i.jpg

About to embark on some pretty heavy (for me) scratchbuilding, I've been giving subtle hints out to family about what I might like for my fiftieth birthday. The drill stand, compound table and mock-Bergeon vice were all forthcoming; it helps not to be too subtle or you end up with socks and jigsaws. ;)

It all looks a bit pristine right now, but we'll soon put that to rights. You'll note there is still space for the coffee cup. :D

I've got the same vice. It's amazing the difference it has made to accurate filing etc.  I don't know how good the Bergeon are in comparison but these Indian built ones are great and less than a third of the price.

post-31049-0-43332300-1486212211.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes I've used it a couple of times now and it really is nice. I think I need to attach it direct to the bench though as the base, which also includes the drill stand, occasionally slips under heavy horizontal pressure.

Rather than fix the base down which could be in the way sometimes could you not drill a small hole through each corner going slightly into the base and use a dowel in each to hold it in place the dowels are not fixed to the base so can be removed.

Don

Yes I've used it a couple of times now and it really is nice. I think I need to attach it direct to the bench though as the base, which also includes the drill stand, occasionally slips under heavy horizontal pressure.

Mine slips as well even with the drill or the lathe on it.  I've also got a homemade milling machine which uses the same base.  It doesn't slip then!  

I've got a sheet of rubber to cover the bottom of the baseboard but I've not got round to doing it yet.

post-31049-0-13326700-1486214608.jpg

post-31049-0-76992000-1486214608.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To get over the slippage I put a ledge 'hook' on the front of the work bench to engage in the front of the table. Another alternative is to use an anti-slip mat: you can usually get these from disabled supply shops.

Tim

Mine slips as well even with the drill or the lathe on it.  I've also got a homemade milling machine which uses the same base.  It doesn't slip then!  

I've got a sheet of rubber to cover the bottom of the baseboard but I've not got round to doing it yet.

Partly assembled milling machine.

post-31049-0-81264500-1486226134_thumb.jpg

• Like 5