Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

By coincidence there have been several posts on Stars today, as I've spent the evening running in 2 Hornby ones that I've just got.  They both run very well, look very stately running round the layout.

I got them to use the plates I have as my avatar,  4043 and 4054.

Need to fit proper cab handrails, but I've got plenty of wire and handrail knobs (if I can still thread the wire my eyesight can't be too bad!)

4043 is of the 1913 5th batch and 4054 is 1914 6th batch.  They were built with "scalloped" inside cylinder covers, whereas the 2 models are both 4013, built with the earlier rectangular profile cylinder covers.  I've got the Roche drawing of the Star which has both profiles on the front view.  I don't know how accurate that is, looks similar to locos in photos.

Additionally 4054 had elbow type steam pipes from 1946 (or so)  while 4043 had Castle type pipes from 1932 (I think).   I could go back to the 1920s...

Any recommended sources of those parts (steam pipes, cylinder covers) ?

cheers Bill

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, railroadbill said:

Need to fit proper cab handrails, but I've got plenty of wire and handrail knobs (if I can still thread the wire my eyesight can't be too bad!)

Even easier on your eyes, no knobs are required on the cab handrails - wire only.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

You won't.  The section on locomotive liveries in the RCTS series (vol 1, Preliminary Survery) is somewhat opaque but my understanding is that post WW1:

Until 1927 - Stars, Saints, Castles, KIngs and Halls had "Great - Garter Crest - Western".

The Great - crest - Western was only reintroduced around 1923-1924. Prior to this the WW1 era "Great Western" and unlined green was standard on all locos. 

Craig W

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Craigw said:

The Great - crest - Western was only reintroduced around 1923-1924. Prior to this the WW1 era "Great Western" and unlined green was standard on all locos. 

Craig W

After the WW1 unlined "Great - Western", then it was lined "Great - garter crest - Western", then from 1927 it was lined "Great - crest - Western".

Edited by Coppercap
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Great Garter Western and fully lined really began with 4073. I have heard suggestions that the approaching 1924 British Empire exhibition influenced the decision as having a 'plane' livery against the newly formed LNER, fully lined A1 was unacceptable. In reality, I suspect the grouping from 1/1/23 was an opportunity to 'rebrand' the GWR as the absorbed stock required renumbering, painting etc.

I always thought the GWR publicity department needed a good telling off, by photographing a brand new shiny, fully lined 4073 against an austere, plain green Lady Godiva, clearly an engine,  not wearing all her clothes.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

10 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Additionally 4054 had elbow type steam pipes from 1946 (or so)  while 4043 had Castle type pipes from 1932 (I think).   I could go back to the 1920s...

Any recommended sources of those parts (steam pipes, cylinder covers) ?

cheers Bill

South East Finecast, ex Wills (who also cast the Mitchell ones).

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...

I have just bought a R3455 Hornby GWR Star 4013 brand new from Kernow at UKP86  which for me in NZ is even less after VAT and airmail,  couldn't resist, and have forgotten every shortcoming in these models.

The handrail on the cab doesn't worry me, nor even the 12-spoke bogie wheels, but have I forgotten any other things?

I wonder if the lack of steam pipes means I could re-name re-number to, say, 4003 or another early engine, using one of my early GWR Star tenders??

4013_star_1abc_r1506.jpg.1fac0659b79e229bf150fb1d7d3eb0d8.jpg

Thanks in advance. pic is from Rails of sheffield ad.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Rob. Can you email Hornby and request a free new front bogie as it will stop them being so complacent on future releases.

Edited by gwrrob
typo
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Rob. Can you email Hornby and request a free new front bogie as it will stop them being so complacent on future releases.

I guess I could, I must check I have have a spare bogie or set of 10-spoke wheels already, I vaguely recall buying a couple a few years ago. 

Point taken about Hornby's complacency with this issue.

Is there a suitable standard Email address for Hornby for this issue, or just something via their website? 

42 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Rob,

I sent a general enquiry request on their website and an Email to their technical services address with;

Dear Hornby, I have just purchased a new R3455 Hornby GWR Star Class Steam Locomotive number 4013 from Kernow and would like to request a front bogie with correct 10-spoke front wheels, as has been supplied to others. Could you please post this to me. At Robbie McGavin ......    ...... New Zealand

Thanks and cheers, Robbie

I have already received automatic replies, we shall see how it goes.

I am looking forward to a burst of Star-mania, having 4018, 4050, 4021, 4061, but may have sold a couple, must delve into my stores department!  Wherein my 'spares department' resides.

It is beautiful late-summer weather here  I understand there has been a touch of dampness around the West Midlands and Severn catchment? 

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1_stars.jpg.c3b53bbc5c914eae00f1650f6f2a8054.jpg

Here's my 2. They recently came from the same source as yours, Rob, for the same price.  I bought them to fit the plates in my avatar to.  Further up the thread here I got some advice about the later valve chest and steam pipes that my later locos need.  Another point is the cab handrail, which needs replacing.  Having seen  Lode Star at York last year it is a very good looking loco.

I've been running mine round the layout to check they're  ok,  before doing anything to them. They've built up  some hours now and both run very smoothly. 

Ahem, Rob, you've now reminded me of a further problem. Ordinary Star wheels only go up to 10, but these go to 12.....

But I've got the magic  e-mail address now ...:)

• Like 1

They say there's no cure for Swidonitis. I wonder if the thing could become a pandemic ?  (shouldn't joke but we with serious spinal injury are inclined to dark humour).

I'm glad I bought a 4050 unlined GWR green WW1 version a couple of years ago, it's the nicest of all the liveries to my eyes.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Rob, is the fall plate in the cab level, or is it glued at an angle pointing up to the rear?

I don't think I've seen a Star from the factory or s/h not pointing upwards at 30-40 degrees. I think you can bend them a tiny bit down but the only easy cure I've used is a to break the join and make a hinge out of black photo album paper and glue on the underside out of sight. 

I don't usually bother as I am extremely prone to laziness. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Update; I have been able to check my treasure trove of GWR excellence-in-00 and I found a mint GWR 4018, BR 4021, and my much-treasured GW WW1 4050.

All mint and in boxes, bespoke for 4050, and although I have many excellent photos of BR 4061 'Glastonbury Abbey' including pictures of my diorama showing the mint box for it, I spent an hour searching every possible nook and cranny but came to the conclusion that i sold it on a local auction site.

I generally keep records of sales I make with photos, but none are conclusive, so I just bought another for £69 from Hattons just now. What's the bet my original 4061 turns up, and I was suffering from the tired 'looked straight at it but didn't see it syndrome'?

All 3 which I have here, have 10-spoke front wheels, and I presume I bought them at the time, which being 5+ years ago is ancient history.  Jan 2014 for most of the photos. FWIW all have upward-pointing fall plates.  As do the new 4013 and s/h 4061 en route to me.

Collector? Me?  Never!

If people will permit me here is a sample of of the 4061 I presume I sold....  edited, will remove if asked. 

4061_Star_4061_windy_evening_on_shed_5ab_r1800.jpg.102aeaddd2487059d3b52a49a9438d50.jpg

or 4021 if you prefer,

4021_GWR_Star_portrait15_4abcdef_r1800.jpg.925e1e06237f65951a814dc974c574f2.jpg

Or if you prefer... 1919

4050_GWR_Star_portrait15_5abcde_r1800.jpg.b7a7e8decd3138fe1ab70984e5531b20.jpg

or showing the other side...

4018_Star_Knight_of_the_Grand_Cross_6abcdef_r1800.jpg.c48c16790c713bb3e0d1e636bad5f70d.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

Update; I have been able to check my treasure trove of GWR excellence-in-00 and I found a mint GWR 4018, BR 4021, and my much-treasured GW WW1 4050.

All mint and in boxes, bespoke for 4050, and although I have many excellent photos of BR 4061 'Glastonbury Abbey' including pictures of my diorama showing the mint box for it, I spent an hour searching every possible nook and cranny but came to the conclusion that i sold it on a local auction site.

I generally keep records of sales I make with photos, but none are conclusive, so I just bought another for £69 from Hattons just now. What's the bet my original 4061 turns up, and I was suffering from the tired 'looked straight at it but didn't see it syndrome'?

All 3 which I have here, have 10-spoke front wheels, and I presume I bought them at the time, which being 5+ years ago is ancient history.  Jan 2014 for most of the photos. FWIW all have upward-pointing fall plates.  As do the new 4013 and s/h 4061 en route to me.

Collector? Me?  Never!

If people will permit me here is a sample of of the 4061 I presume I sold....  edited, will remove if asked. 

4061_Star_4061_windy_evening_on_shed_5ab_r1800.jpg.102aeaddd2487059d3b52a49a9438d50.jpg

or 4021 if you prefer,

4021_GWR_Star_portrait15_4abcdef_r1800.jpg.925e1e06237f65951a814dc974c574f2.jpg

Or if you prefer... 1919

4050_GWR_Star_portrait15_5abcde_r1800.jpg.b7a7e8decd3138fe1ab70984e5531b20.jpg

or showing the other side...

4018_Star_Knight_of_the_Grand_Cross_6abcdef_r1800.jpg.c48c16790c713bb3e0d1e636bad5f70d.jpg

cheers

Rob,

The 1919version is not really a 1919 version. The spectacles are not fitted to the cab front  (these were removed late 1920s and the tender had the transverse vacuum cylinder and the larger springs fitted C1925.

Masterpiece models several years ago produced a very expensive brass 7mm scale Star and the pre war versions had the straight top springs fitted, an absolutely unforgivable error on such an expensive model.

I do like the Star in unlined green though!

Craig W

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2020 at 15:34, 57xx said:

Thanks Rob, with my Star tucked away in a box I keep forgetting I need to get the replacement bogie sorted. Off to do it now!

Well, that's me eating my humble pie. Before sending off my request to Hornby, I dug out my 4050 Princess Alice and wait... I need to put my other glasses on as I can't count.. no, I was right at first count - it came with the correct 10 spoke wheels! No need for replacements, nice to see someone, somewhere listened and fixed it.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 3

For what it's worth 4021 'British Monarch' was manufactured with the correct 10-spoke wheels from new, possibly 4050 too but somehow with factory changes (which must be awfully complex) we are back to 12-spoke incorrect ones...  never mind..  

Now will someone sell me a 4003 for under a hundred please?    :)      

Yours, 

Living in the Past 

Edited by robmcg
change Dominion to British
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

For what it's worth 4021 'Dominion Monarch' was manufactured with the correct 10-spoke wheels from new, possibly 4050 too but somehow with factory changes (which must be awfully complex) we are back to 12-spoke incorrect ones...  never mind..  

Now will someone sell me a 4003 for under a hundred please?    :)      

Yours, 

Living in the Past 

I'll have No.40 with it's 4-4-2 wheel arrangement please!

GWR_40_Class_4-4-2.jpg.16e7fc9adc42b87fc9d393da1c0f103b.jpg

• Like 3