MidHants Railway Diesel Gala, April 26-28th

Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

After an absence of a few years the MidHants Railway are holding a Diesel Gala this year running from Friday 26th April through to Sunday 28th 2013.

On display:
45132, 27007

Home fleet (running):
08288, 08032, 12049, 37905, 50027, DEMU 1125

Visitors (subject to finalisation):
class 20; class 33/1; class 37/0 or 37/4; class 47; class 55

Hopefully something to keep most people happy, more details (and perhaps some surprises) to follow over the next few weeks.

The shunters will be doing brake van tours of Alresford's outer reaches throughout the day, and there will be an opportunity or two for longer runs as well.

Please support this event and help the organisers convince the MidHants that there is a market for the diesels!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian.

I plan on trying to make it down for one day of this, and thats an excellent line up already!

Interesting to see 37905 listed though. Is that returning to the line Permanently?

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see 37905 listed though. Is that returning to the line Permanently?

Hi Tom

I believe this to be the case and the Class 33 33053 will be leaving. (but don't quote me on any of that!)

I plan to go to this event. Not many decent diesel events in this part of the UK generally....hopefully people will support it and make it a permanent feature. I couldn't see any adverts on the MHR site when I looked recently which if true is a shame.

Hi guys,

The website is due to be updated ASAP!

I believe the person responsible for it has recently changed hence the lack of updates.

If you look at the timetable under the date it shows special events but this is all so far.

This was commented on at our meeting last week so expect someone official soon.

There may also be a dedicated Facebook page (if that's your thing?!).

Keep an eye out.....

Failing that I will always update my Lion Facebook page and website and will post info to other diesel related railway forums. Info will also be posted to the wrgen yahoo groups list.

Any updates will be posted by the orgainser on wnxx first and I have asked Ian to follow them up on here. I'm only acting as an adviser so I'm not sure on what is official or un official still.

Apart from the above, expect 37905 in a new livery.....

I won't spoil it by letting the cat out of the bag. That's down to the owner to say.

It'll be fun though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Latest details of the upcoming gala that have been posted on WNXX.

The gala will operate over three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. All services will be passenger carrying only. There will be no demonstration goods trains etc. A high frequency service will operate during the main part of each day probably continuing until around 10pm on Saturday. A full timetable will be available before the event with the provisional loco allocations. We are aiming to publish this by the end of February.

Locomotives and rolling stock (subject to the usual caveats about availability and last minute changes etc):
• Home Locomotives: 37905; 08032; 12082 (12049); 50027.
• Visiting Locomotives (All East Lancashire Railway based):
o Class 20: 20 087
o Class 33: 33 109
o Class 37: Either 37324 “Clydebridge” (37 099) or 37 418
o Class 47: D1501
o Class 55: 55 009 “Alycidon”
• The Hampshire Unit DEMU 1125 will be running shuttles.
• Rolling stock: We have agreed the use of the 4VEP unit 3417 “Gordon Pettit” owned by the Bluebell Railway.

The 350hp shunters will operate early and late trains between Ropley and Alresford and operate on a “Tour of Alresford” brakevan special

Locomotive changes will usually take place at Ropley and those waiting their next duty will be on display along with the class 45, 45132 which is under restoration.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Had confirmation today that there will be a GBRF Class 66 in attendance for the gala and it has been written into the timetabled runs using the VEP and/or Thumper as stock (Air brakes). Timetable should be available very soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

The Timetable and loco roster has been released and is attached, and to confirm there will be a Real Ale tent in the picnic area at Ropley Station.

Lets see lots of you there to make the event a success and lead on to a better Gala next year!

Diesel Gala 2013 Public Timetable v2 4-4-13.pdf

Quick update Ian and others.....

There is a slight change to the beer arrangements as well. Instead of there being a beer tent, there will be a beer TRAIN! This will be set B in the WTT this is the set hauled by the Deltic and class 50 on most trains. Given recent weather we thought that it might be tempting fate to try to have beer served from a tent in a field! Hope no one is too upset by the change.

• RMweb Premium

Morning gents

Only a week to go now until the Diesel gala and things all seem to be in place, with 37905 arriving by road one day this week and the convoy due Wednesday evening. Spent yesterday in the engine room of 'Lion' painting before it was shunted down to the yard for the water level to be topped up before being fired up ready to shunt the RAT stock at Alresford.

post-6922-0-66181400-1366536948.jpg

50027 basks in the sun under the water tower while its water is filled.

As you can see 50027 displays a very nice level of weathering which is how its owners like it, as Lion was always one of the workhorses and not a celebrity! Please come down next week for what will be a good event all round and the success or otherwise will determine what could happen next year!

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look at the mid hants website is it £20 entry for all if you wish too ride or not?.

I was hoping to get too ropley for a look see sunday.

G.

You mean you want a freebie?

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look at the mid hants website is it £20 entry for all if you wish too ride or not?.

I was hoping to get too ropley for a look see sunday.

G.

From the event page on the MHR website:

Entry is by travel ticket only.

Site/platform tickets, intermediate fares and discount vouchers including Tesco Clubcard vouchers are NOT VALID for this event.

£20 isn't bad value considering the line up and the fact you can travel on as many services as you like for that, plus you are helping the railway continue to run events like this in the future.

Tom.

... the MHR is very clear about their policy, and have been for quite some time ... so this shouldn't be a surprise, and to be honest, any monies made this weekend can only encourage them to hold other diesel galas in the future.

I'm currently pouring over the timetable and movements diagram, trying to work out where to be to photograph what I want to photograph considering light etc.... just a little bit OCDish I'll admit, but hopefully it'll make tomorrow easier... even the weather is looking like it'll oblige too.

Jon

Archived