Livery Photoshopping

• 4 weeks later...

med_gallery_6731_93_238372.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Wikimedia user Sunil060902 distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License, and as such is released under the same license.

Merseyrail's class 507s and 508s are now nearing the end of their lives, and need replacing within the next five years or so. A likely option for new trains would be a member of Bombardier's Electrostar family, based on the London Overground class 378.

Paul

• Like 2

med_gallery_6731_93_549229.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Wikimedia user Oxyman distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License. Modified image is copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray with all rights reserved.

The invitation to tender for the Essex Thameside franchise has now been published, and DB Regio is likely to bid as it looks to expand its UK operations. With no existing brand like its current franchise and concessions, this would be a good opportunity to introduce DB red to UK passenger trains.

Paul

• Like 1

Been having a play in Photoshop tonight - DRS is one of the more complex, but didn't take as long as I feared it would

gallery_6899_468_58792.jpg

So what if Freightliner paint another loco up for a contract renewal?

gallery_6899_468_57663.jpg

Love the Merseyrail 378 btw Paul, nice one

cheers

jo

• Like 1

I'm working on the Network Southeast class 395 at the moment, but have a question to ask. Can anyone come up with a a suitable name for the high speed trains that NSE might have given them, similar to the Kent Link Networker and Thames / Chiltern Turbo brands which they used?

I'm working on the Network Southeast class 395 at the moment, but have a question to ask. Can anyone come up with a a suitable name for the high speed trains that NSE might have given them, similar to the Kent Link Networker and Thames / Chiltern Turbo brands which they used?

Gotta be the Sandwich Express hasn't it ? No ? OK then.

Given it's importance in terms of speed, I wonder whether BR might have chosen to add it to the INTERCITY portfolio, but having said that, is there any catering available on the 395s ?

med_gallery_6731_93_484374.jpg

This image is based on a photograph by Paul Burkitt-Gray. All rights to the original and modified images are reserved.

Here we go, a Network Southeast Javelin. I've used a photo of my own as I already had it set up for modification from when I did the First Group Javelin.

The livery is based on the final version of NSE, as used on the Networkers, with the angle of the stripes at the front reversed to line up with the streamlined nose. The continuation of the red stripe to the roofline is taken from this artists impression of a Crossrail train http://therailwaycentre.com/Artists%20impressions/341BR_LU.jpg (from http://therailwaycentre.com/Recognition%20Pictures%20Loco/Artists_emu.html ). As NSE was more concerned about the detail design of its trains than the private operators seem to be, I have removed the bulbous protrusions from the nose and changed the doors to neater sliding plug ones. I have also assumed the NSE would pay as much attention to rules about contrasting door colours as Europe's other nationalised railways do when it suits them.

Phil, I agree that Intercity might have been responsible for high speed services, but as it is purely a commuter service feeding London, rather than linking cities, it is just as likely to have been Network Southeast's flagship train.

Paul

• Like 2

Amazing repaint, though not sure on how it fits the javelin. I think we should leave it to the plastic pigs. Those uglys redo are very good.... DRS 70 would do me fine!

Now, any chance of a Artemis Hanson traction liveried ugly and 66? That would be great! The wacky purple and green livery. Who could do that for me?

I like that, though would the NSE livery work aligned as the APT livery was?

Just had a thought though - a lot of these ficticious liveries (the ones in demand that is!) are of BR era liveries on modern trains. What would be interesting to see, is had those liveries survived onto these units, how they would have modified the colours to include DDA compliant door contrasts. NSE gets rather messy when you turn the doors to red for example!

David

• Like 1

David, I considered APT style upsweeps on the lines, but it left a massive white area at the front of the train, which left the nose, the key feature of the front of the train, looking almost forgotten. NSE livery was designed to make slab fronted Mk1 EMUs look a bit more modern, and is very difficult to fit on a train which already has a streamlined nose.

I have thought about how BR liveries might be made DDA / RVAR compliant, and it is trick because they tended to be defined by a lot of longitudinal stripes. I think NSE and Intercity Swallow would both work with white doors, but it does tend to look rather awkward.

Paul

Nice work on the 395 Paul, it's inspired me to crack out the Aquafresh paint!

gallery_6899_468_172464.jpg

So, what if instead of splitting the freight sectors by flow, it was split by region, and in the south east it was taken under the wing of NSE. Or, on shadow privatisation, TLF-SE became part of the NSE empire (60011 was a mainline tug) in some kind of twisted management buyout when Network SouthEast was privatised. I dunno, any excuse, it doesn't look bad in toothpaste express colours

gallery_6899_468_109272.jpg

Privatisation never happened, and in efforts to provide a faster service, Network SouthEast invested in 5 car Pendolino derived 125mph commuter units. A new corporate image was introduced by BR in the early 21st century, with NSE getting a new typeface to match, giving a more modern image

gallery_6899_468_161132.jpg

The longer distance Pendolino type EMUs obtained by Network SouthEast were painted in a colour scheme similar to that carried by the locos and hauled stock to show their longer distance use

cheers

jo

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OK, I couldn't resist...

post-7123-12653761705383_thumb.jpg

It's a re-vinyl'd Dapol 153 - I thought I'd take the easy way out and do a modified version of the scheme applied to the 121s without the upswept ends. The asymettric window spacing of the cabs would make this a nightmare to look right.

• Like 3

Nice to see some proper modelling in this thread, Adam. part of what inspired me to create my various photoshopped liveries was an article in Model Rail which featured several models repainted into unprototypical liveries. Scarily, that would have been about ten years ago!

Jo, that NSE 60 is excellent. You seem to do a good line in class 60s - the Vulcan bomber one was also very nice.

Paul