Livery Photoshopping

med_gallery_6731_93_193176.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt Gray, based on a photograph by Duncan Harris, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license.

A tribute to BRCW's white Lion livery on a class 47. For practicality of both photoshopping and cleaning, I've assumed the white underframe would not be reproduced. Also, Lion had a prominent winged nameplate, but I've been unable to find any images of sufficient quality to recreate it here. If anyone has a good photo it would be great to see it.

Paul

Interesting to see the undercoat-esque Lion livery on the 47, doesn't work as well as Kestrel IMO, which really sits well on the duff.

A few more 73 variations from me:

gallery_6899_468_62656.jpg

So what if the LMS went for class 73 hauled electric trains over the Merseyside system? Not sure the livery sits that well on the ED...

Just noticed the perspective on all the text is out too. Might start over with this one

gallery_6899_468_49511.jpg

DRS compass on a 73 - a few grill and window issues as per the 37s

gallery_6899_468_207931.jpg

So what if in some bizarre twist an ED or two had their traction motors isolated, but retained shoegear and got ETHEL'd with an upgraded ETH for railtour use. Driving capability is retained for tours operating with other 73s, hence the retention of the yellow ends

gallery_6899_468_187748.jpg

So what if Network Rail stuck with the blue and red livery they painted some stock into in the early days? Looks quite smart IMO

gallery_6899_468_134258.jpg

With all the rumours surround the GBRf sale, another name that I've heard mentioned is Wincanton logistics. I've seen continental locos with their logo on a sticker, so not as big a surprise as it initially appears!

cheers

jo

• Like 1

gallery_6899_468_134258.jpg

With all the rumours surround the GBRf sale, another name that I've heard mentioned is Wincanton logistics. I've seen continental locos with their logo on a sticker, so not as big a surprise as it initially appears!

cheers

jo

Looks a damn site better than my efforts photo shopping Eddie the Engine when I needed a Wincanton Liveried loco, will have to dig it out as I still have it somewhere!

Great EDs there Jo, especially the LMS black one.

med_gallery_6731_93_315127.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photograph by David Ingham. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

A recreation of Brush's Falcon, the final in the three class 47-based tributes to lost prototypes. Unlike the elegant, though not necessarily practical liveries of the others, I can't say I find the combination of lime green and brown particularly attractive.

Paul

• Like 1

Great EDs there Jo, especially the LMS black one.

med_gallery_6731_93_315127.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photograph by David Ingham. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

A recreation of Brush's Falcon, the final in the three class 47-based tributes to lost prototypes. Unlike the elegant, though not necessarily practical liveries of the others, I can't say I find the combination of lime green and brown particularly attractive.

Paul

I will agree the Lion one looks much better than this colour combination.

BTW the lion shot is based on an image taken at the GCR and that engine in unedited format would have been Sparrowhawk. :D

Again, good work Paul, i love them!

Bruce.

I wonder what they put in the water in the 1960's that people seemed to be able to come up with such horrible colour schemes!

Absolutely, Falcon is a combination of "what were they thinking when they bought that bath?" green and "I wish I hadn't had that curry last night" brown. On the plus side, they did come up with the rail blue livery and double arrow logo, which has become a real classic that has survuved despite privatization, so they did get it right sometimes.

Paul

• Like 1

For me the corporate BR blue & grey era did nothing to lift the spirits when Britian was at an all time low. It should have heralded the white-hot technologial revolution but instead it came to represent everything that had gone badly wrong in the 60s and 70s. Small wonder then that the end of the steam age also represented the end of a way of life for many people.

Ah, thats better!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good god, I've heard everything now!blink.gif

Which sign do you find outside of every station? British Railways cycling lion or a BR arrows of indecision logo? Even in todays privatised railways its still the sign for directing you to a station.

Didn't /hasn't BR Blue last longer than any other livery?

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Good god, I've heard everything now!blink.gif

For me the corporate BR blue & grey era did nothing to lift the spirits when Britian was at an all time low. It should have heralded the white-hot technologial revolution but instead it came to represent everything that had gone badly wrong in the 60s and 70s. Small wonder then that the end of the steam age also represented the end of a way of life for many people.

Ah, thats better!

depends on how you look at things.....

I can remember at the time how the introduction of corporate Blue was seen as "new" and refreshing. Sweeping away the tired old image and heralding a new "modern" era.

It went hand in hand with the removal of all those dirty old fashioned steam locos and locally for us, the WCML electrification and new re-built modern railway stations.

Like a lot of the mid/late sixties, it was exciting, "new" and "modern". Doing away with the old image and steam was great and good-ridance.

I can remember the local interest and excitement when the wires were being installed on the local WCML and finally when those Blue electric locos started to appear.

Ah! heady days. smile.gif

• Like 1

I can remember at the time how the introduction of corporate Blue was seen as "new" and refreshing. Sweeping away the tired old image and heralding a new "modern" era.

It went hand in hand with the removal of all those dirty old fashioned steam locos and locally for us, the WCML electrification and new re-built modern railway stations.

Like a lot of the mid/late sixties, it was exciting, "new" and "modern". Doing away with the old image and steam was great and good-ridance.

I can remember the local interest and excitement when the wires were being installed on the local WCML and finally when those Blue electric locos started to appear.

i do and don't agree with it.

Now i will be speaking from a different perspective as i am only a mere 17 years old, but from all the knowledge recall i have and all the livery variations, etc i know of, i will say the diesel era may have been 'bland' for colours however, what i find exciting about these liveries is that sometimes there are fantastic little changes or logos appearing/disappearing, much like names and the like, for example, the Tinsley Twins (class 20's)

anyway, we're diverging again (partly my fault) anyway forward to the next photoshop :P

A monotonous sea of blue and standard coaches was a poor substitute for the British railway scene of the 1940s, 50s and early 1960s, and you'de be expecting a lot if you thought older railway enthusiasts would dumb down. I witnessed the changes and the destruction of lines, yards, loco sheds, mass redundancies, and the sheer waste on money in the rush towards 'modernisation'. I didnt see the 'heady days' you referred to. 'New & Modern?....All you saw was a change in traction. Sure the electrics on the WCML speeded up journey times, as did DMUs on branchlines, but thats politics and for the commuters. When I visited Manchester London Road to see someone off on an electric in 1960, enthusiasts were conspicuous by their absense. Two years before, you couldn't move for spotters!

It is a long time ago now and I expect the corporate blue era looks exciting. Well it would compared with today.

i do and don't agree with it.

It's not a matter of agreeing or otherwise. I'm just remembering how it seemed to me and my friends at the time. We were in our early 'teens.

As I remember it, there were adults who were glad of the changes too. The prospect of travelling on cleaner trains in a more modern future and all that.... ?

Some future though! I can also remember the sense of decay and filth on our railways in the 70's and 80's. It turned out to be an unfulfilled promise?

....I witnessed the changes and the destruction of lines, yards, loco sheds, mass redundancies, and the sheer waste on money in the rush towards 'modernisation'. I didnt see the 'heady days' you referred to. 'New & Modern?....All you saw was a change in traction. Sure the electrics on the WCML speeded up journey times, as did DMUs on branchlines, but thats politics and for the commuters.

Only "for the commuters" !!!!

"Sure the electrics on the WCML speeded up journey times, as did DMUs on branchlines..."

A reminder that the railway is there for it's customers and not for train spotters.

I visited Manchester London Road to see someone off on an electric in 1960, enthusiasts were conspicuous by their absense. Two years before, you couldn't move for spotters!

Good !tongue.gif

Seriously though, I'd be the first one in line to book a time machine trip back to the 50's and 30's .