Livery Photoshopping

I've heard that private cars are also under consideration for being required to have lights on during daylight hours, which does actually use extra fuel.

That sounds a lot like heresay or media rumours concocted to fill column inches. Neither the EU nor the DVLA would ever be that daft. Not least since it directly counters their existing drives to cut fuel use and emissions.

Not that it stops some numpties anyway.

That sounds a lot like heresay or media rumours concocted to fill column inches. Neither the EU nor the DVLA would ever be that daft. Not least since it directly counters their existing drives to cut fuel use and emissions.

Not that it stops some numpties anyway.

As I've heard it, there is no EU directive at present requiring headlights to be on in this country. However, interpretation of "Elf & Safety" by bus garages (initially, followed by their parent companies making it "official") has led to all London buses adopting the idea. It has also been mooted that the EU is considering making it a legal requirement for all vehicles to have them on in the not too distant future, though how true this is I don't know. A sore point with me on 2 counts. Firstly I've had an eye op, which means my left eye doesn't "shut down" as normal so I suffer greatly from dazzle off these lights, particularly from vehicles following me, and secondly, I belong to the school of thought that if everyone has lights on, you actually see less of the surrounding objects, as your eyes ( & half of mine!) shut down with all the bright lights present, so you miss the adjacent unlit objects.

Have you noticed btw, the drivers that insist on having them on are usually a) poor drivers; B) the ones more likely to have poorly adjusted lights?

It seems to me that the idea has been creeping into the country steadily from Europe, especially with some of the more expensive German models. I've noticed an ever increasing number of BMWs and Audis with bright LED-style 'running lights' which seem to be always on. In average conditions, they thankfully don't seem to cause too much glare/dazzle (presumably because they're designed to improve the visual profile of the car, not light the road ahead). I can only assume this is an idea taken from the American market where such things are commonplace.

Guest Phil

It seems to me that the idea has been creeping into the country steadily from Europe, especially with some of the more expensive German models. I've noticed an ever increasing number of BMWs and Audis with bright LED-style 'running lights' which seem to be always on. In average conditions, they thankfully don't seem to cause too much glare/dazzle (presumably because they're designed to improve the visual profile of the car, not light the road ahead). I can only assume this is an idea taken from the American market where such things are commonplace.

Not to mention "junior" motorbikes who seem to think that you'll notice their existence that much more because of their weedy front suspension which causes the headlight to shake. Also just had a fortnight's worth of Harleys who feel the need to have all three on during the bright Florida sunshine - obviously just for effect.

Anyway, bringing the topic back into context (and the fact i don't have photoshop)....

what would a class 47 or HST or something modern and passenger service orientated look like in the old fashioned Great Central Green livery assuming that the name Great Central could be used again for mainline services? :icon_question:

just a thought....

I have been playing in Photoshop again, this time the 73 has come up for a good bashing.

gallery_6899_468_193772.jpg

With DB Schenker winning the contract for Nertwork Rail test trains, what will they use on the Southern?

gallery_6899_468_219424.jpg

With the rumours doming the rounds that GBRf are up for sale, could one potential candidate be Colas Rail, looking for further rapid expansion?

gallery_6899_468_43102.jpg

Rumours abound that First are trying to offload GBRf. So, what if Europorte ends up buying the operation for an easy way into the UK market? The livery is based on RfD European as applied to the 92s

gallery_6899_468_79641.jpg

With the rumours of GBRf being put up for sale refusing to go away, Freightliner is a name that keeps getting mentioned. So what about a green 73?

All from my gallery at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/album/6899/468-jos-photoshop-fiddlings/

cheers

jo

• Like 2

You have got some more stunning results - the FL 73 is damn fine.

What with DB running freight and passenger services in th UK and NS having a majot share in some of the operators (Northern Rail is one) it will be interesting to see if one of the other nationalised railways takes over another UK company.

There was talk when we knew (a few years ago) that Northern was going to NS that the stock was going to be Dutch grey & yellow.

Ever thought what CIE liveries would look like on UK locos?

• RMweb Premium

Anybody fancy doing a "what might be" based on the elf n safety recommendation that steam locos should have a dayglo orange paintjob on the hot surfaces?

Hopefully it'll neve happen - it's been doing the rounds for some years and thankfully has never happened - but it would be nice to see it - perhaps on Duchess of Sutherland?

There was talk when we knew (a few years ago) that Northern was going to NS that the stock was going to be Dutch grey & yellow.

Ever thought what CIE liveries would look like on UK locos?

Hmm, NS and CIE are both interesting options. Give me some time in Photoshop...wink.gif

Anybody fancy doing a "what might be" based on the elf n safety recommendation that steam locos should have a dayglo orange paintjob on the hot surfaces?

Hopefully it'll neve happen - it's been doing the rounds for some years and thankfully has never happened - but it would be nice to see it - perhaps on Duchess of Sutherland?

Surely most of a steam loco is hot, so all over orange? And if you did it on a diesel loco, most of it would burn off? Look at the exhaust area on most locos - rusty from the heat. Dayglo orange brake blocks? Dayglo orange hot plate in the cab? Dayglo orange light bulbs? laugh.gif

cheers

jo

med_gallery_6731_93_27346.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by Phil Sangwell, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

Their lack of ETH capability made them impractical for passenger use, but what if the Westerns were regeared and put on freight services, surviving until culled by EWS?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by Phil Sangwell, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

Their lack of ETH capability made them impractical for passenger use, but what if the Westerns were regeared and put on freight services, surviving until culled by EWS?

Not sure if I like that one, Burkitt (your artwork is superb, though!). However, EWS livery might look more at home on a Western. smile.gif

No please do not dis- figure a well designed loco.

Terry. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I like it!

Back in about 1981-2 ish, i took my (lovely!) Hornby "Western Courier" which was my first ever new loco, and started re-engineering it for the eighties - filled in headcode panel and high intensity headlamp, just like Pauls picture! I hand re-painted it in, i think, LL blue but then ruined it by trying to re-engineer the mech into central motor and all wheel drive (using the original ringfield!), my skills at the time were not up to it!

I also did a Hymek in railfreight red stripe!

Both still exist - somewhere!! When i find them, i'll try and get a picture on here!

Cheers,

John E.

med_gallery_6731_93_347946.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on photographs by David Gubl and Geof Sheppard, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

Recent discussion in the Imaginary Locomotives thread has mentioned the GWR's planned electrification project which was stopped by WWII. Given their favouring of Swiss technology for their gas turbine loco, it seems likely they would have chosen electrification technology from the same source. Had world history gone a different way, perhaps something like this would have become a common sight on the Great Western mainline.

• Like 1

med_gallery_6731_93_131118.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by Duncan Harris, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

With Kestrel probably forever lost, perhaps a 47 could be repainted as a tribute to it.

• Like 2

Couldn't you come up with a sexier name than Buzzard, Paul???/ ;) ;)

That one is very interesting and actually looks like the livery belongs on the 47. What might have been ... clapping_mini.gif

• RMweb Premium

med_gallery_6731_93_131118.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by Duncan Harris, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

With Kestrel probably forever lost, perhaps a 47 could be repainted as a tribute to it.

Full makes for the person who did this, strangely it really suites this locomotive. :D :D :D

Terry.

med_gallery_6731_93_353725.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on photographs by Tony Hisgett and Matt Buck, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

In the aftermath of nuclear conflict, with the North Sea oil rigs destroyed and the Middle East cut off, the strategic steam reserve emerges from its bunkers to transport goods vital to survival and rebuilding.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the Western looks smart in freight grey. The only reservation I have is that the front end needs some tweaking with the headcode boxes removed - symmetrical lighting perhaps?

med_gallery_6731_93_353725.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on photographs by Tony Hisgett and Matt Buck, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

In the aftermath of nuclear conflict, with the North Sea oil rigs destroyed and the Middle East cut off, the strategic steam reserve emerges from its bunkers to transport goods vital to survival and rebuilding.

Until the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia had a very large Well maintained reserve of steam and diesel engines in case of the outbreak of war, a power cut, oil shortage and even in the case of a nuclear war, let alone any other....

After the breakup of the USSR and ever since, these reserve engines have been left to languish and many are now unserviceable, however, special railtours such as the white night express do employ some of these engines for the (i think) 5,000 mile trip around Russia.

Keep them coming Paul, i love your photoshops (particularly that western)

More conspiracy theories...

med_gallery_6731_93_47584.jpg

Based on a photograph by Phil Sangwell published under the Creative Commons Attribution License. Modified image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray.

Rumours of the Strategic Reserve suggest it could also include some diesel locomotives, which in deep bunkers would be protected from the electromagnetic pulse of a nuclear attack. A possible source for diesel locos could have been a secret add-on to the Cuban order for class 47s, which was already kept quiet to avoid Brush's parent company Hawker Siddeley losing US military contracts for exporting to the embargoed communist nation.

With much of the country uninhabitable due to deadly levels of radioactivity, a "47" hauls a train of refugees towards the undamaged ports on the west coast of Wales, where they hope to gain passage on a ship to one of the areas of the world which escaped the war, like Australia, South America, or Africa. Two of the tracks have had their rails stripped to repair other damaged sections of the line.

The loco bears the logo of the Royal Logistics Corps, whose members are reported to still train on steam locos at preserved lines on a regular basis.

Paul

Thanks for the link to that site, though I should point out that nothing on it with regards to the Strategic Reserve is any more genuine than my photoshops.

There is a dearth of any verifiable evidence or even first hand accounts of the legendary store of locos, due to either secrecy or non-existence.

Paul

• Like 2