Livery Photoshopping

Interesting bus Coachman, though I'm not sure they'd bother with a yellow front off the railways.

med_gallery_6731_93_434291.jpg

Based on a photograph by Oxyman published under the Creative Commons Attribution License. Modified image is copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray with all rights reserved.

ASLEF have recently announced their intention to bid for the East Coast Mainline franchise, with the aim of running on a not-for-profit basis. Though in reality unlikely to succeed unless they can raise some considerable sums of money to support the bid, this is what an ASLEF 225 might look like, with the livery based on the colours of the union's website.

Paul

• Like 1

Hmmm... what about DB Schenker liveried voyagers... or even a DBS 175!

The Schenker red livery on that Unit looks better than Arriva's turquiose. ......

It wouldn't be DB Schenker livery as that isn't the company involved in the take over of the Arriva Group. They're a logistics & freight company.

It's another part of the DB empire that's bought out Arriva.

Interesting bus Coachman, though I'm not sure they'd bother with a yellow front off the railways.
Arriva buses drove around with headlights on last year as if people couldn't see the huge hulk of an approaching bus, and so a yellow front might have some appeal......cool.gif

gallery_6899_468_137524.jpg

A bit of a far flung one here. There is a clip from a documentary that is on YouTube where Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is interviewed for his opinions on the railways. He comments that the HST is his favourite train, so what if, in the style of their Flight 666 tour, Maiden tour Britain (with a little help from First). Each door features a different album cover, though I couldn't think up a name to match Ed Force One (the plane in flight 666), and have spent far too much time tonight tracing photos of Iron Maiden artwork...

Time for a simpler one next time me thinks laugh.gif

cherrs

jo

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

med_gallery_6731_93_40310.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by David Ingham, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

Virgin Cross Country's original plan for new non-tilting trains was to buy push-pull sets formed of single-ended locos based on class 67 and hauled coaches. This would have had several advantages over the class 220 multiple units. The locos could have been introduced more quickly than units, and used to haul existing stock until the new carriages were complete, improving Virgin's poor reliability in its early days. Non-tilt profile carriages would have had more spacious interiors than the needlessly cramped Voyagers. Also, carriages are cheaper than extra vehicles for Voyagers, so once traffic picked up it would have been more feasible gain DfT permission to increase train lengths.

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

med_gallery_6731_93_40310.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by David Ingham, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

Virgin Cross Country's original plan for new non-tilting trains was to buy push-pull sets formed of single-ended locos based on class 67 and hauled coaches. This would have had several advantages over the class 220 multiple units. The locos could have been introduced more quickly than units, and used to haul existing stock until the new carriages were complete, improving Virgin's poor reliability in its early days. Non-tilt profile carriages would have had more spacious interiors than the needlessly cramped Voyagers. Also, carriages are cheaper than extra vehicles for Voyagers, so once traffic picked up it would have been more feasible gain DfT permission to increase train lengths.

Paul

That is such a cost effective idea why was it not followed up.

Terry

Virgin Cross Country's original plan for new non-tilting trains was to buy push-pull sets formed of single-ended locos based on class 67 and hauled coaches.

Not such a silly idea when you look at North American push-pull commuter trains.

I'd like to see the Mk 3 DBSO on the other end of the train. :D

Cheers

David

Arriva buses drove around with headlights on last year as if people couldn't see the huge hulk of an approaching bus, and so a yellow front might have some appeal......cool.gif

Incredibly, there's a recent (European?) law that requires British buses to have their lights on, even during daylight hours.

Incredibly, there's a recent (European?) law that requires British buses to have their lights on, even during daylight hours.

No-one seems to have told Lothian Buses or First Edinburgh/First Glasgow.

The Virgin livery makes the 67 look quite good, but the Voyagers look marginally better I think. By what everyone says that is only thing that the Voyagers win on (though I've yet to travel on one myself). Some 100mph + push-pull capable diesel locomotives and DVTs/DBSOs would be very useful right now, for example for getting rid of the over-crowded 2-car 175s on Milford Haven - Manchester trips (new intermediate coaches wouldn't even be needed, there's probablly still quite a lot of Mrk2, and possibly Mrk3, stock out of use).

• RMweb Premium

That may be just a London thing actually as all London buses are definitely required to have their headlights on at all times which is just silly. From what I have seen Stagecoach Southdown and other subsidiaries seem to do the same now although this may be due to manufacturers making buses to 'London' spec and the lights being on permanently by default.

That is such a cost effective idea why was it not followed up.

Voyagers and other multiple units probably have faster acceleration and lower track access charges than for a loco + coaches.

I'd like to see the Mk 3 DBSO on the other end of the train.

I don't think the MkIII DBSOs or DVTs would have been used, though I suppose there were plenty of both spare especially after Pendolinos were introduced on the WCML. New build control-cars with passenger seating and to modern crash safety standards would probably have been more likely. Interestingly, I read somewhere of a plan by GNER to replace their MkIV DVTs with control-cars based on the Voyager driving cars to increase passenger space.

Paul

we know about that in Leicester, particularly cyclists like me cos we get blinded by the cursed lights when the conditions permit.

we also get a lot of glare off the wet roads particularly of the DAFs Arriva use....

• RMweb Premium

Voyagers and other multiple units probably have faster acceleration and lower track access charges than for a loco + coaches.

That's the other thing they win on - they are *very* nippy which counts for a lot on a crowded route with plenty of stops. And the do look good in the both the liveries they've carried (better than the clones IMO). It's just a pity Bombardier built them in H0 scale.