Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Out of Fencehouses and Penguin Crossing, if you had only seen them from the photos, which would you guess was the 2mm layout?

And yes, I do know the answer ;)

Out of Fencehouses and Penguin Crossing, if you had only seen them from the photos, which would you guess was the 2mm layout?

And yes, I do know the answer ;)

And even more so with Fencehouses fantastic trackwork.

post-9335-0-30715900-1433013078_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08987200-1433013133_thumb.jpg

And even more so with Fencehouses fantastic trackwork.

attachicon.gifBurton DEMU 2015 May 30th 101.JPG

attachicon.gifBurton DEMU 2015 May 30th 102.JPG

I really admire that trackwork... but it features my bete noir: shiny check rails.

I suspect that's a legacy of track cleaning, but it's a shame because it breaks the 4th wall for me.

(not taking anything whatsoever away from the quality of the work, mind; it is brilliant - that's just my foibles...)

I really admire that trackwork... but it features my bete noir: shiny check rails.

I suspect that's a legacy of track cleaning, but it's a shame because it breaks the 4th wall for me.

(not taking anything whatsoever away from the quality of the work, mind; it is brilliant - that's just my foibles...)

Man, I agree with you totally, jukebox  - I mentioned it in another thread to do with another beautiful layout with hand built track work  and got shot down for my pains.... The point is that if you do it right it looks even better!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I think Brian Tilbury built some 2mm turnouts where he used Phospher Bronze for the wing rails and check rails which did give some effect. I think one problems is if you use abrasive methods of track cleaning any paint on the check and wing rails will keep being worn away. On complicated trackwork like that junction of fencehouses it would be very time consuming trying not to clean the various bits.

Don

Man, I agree with you totally, jukebox  - I mentioned it in another thread to do with another beautiful layout with hand built track work  and got shot down for my pains.... The point is that if you do it right it looks even better!

Best, Pete.

I think Brian Tilbury built some 2mm turnouts where he used Phospher Bronze for the wing rails and check rails which did give some effect. I think one problems is if you use abrasive methods of track cleaning any paint on the check and wing rails will keep being worn away. On complicated trackwork like that junction of fencehouses it would be very time consuming trying not to clean the various bits.

Don

Hi Guys, yes whilst I agree with all of you, the only way I can see to avoid the Shinny Check Rails Syndrome is to build Check Rails in a smaller gauge, for example on 00 Code 75, build the Check Rails in Code 55. I know for a fact that when getting to a Show, you need to keep the track clean for good running and trying to do that quickly without touching the Check Rails is almost impossible.

Yes its a shame, but then its better than N Gauge Set Track.

I also like Don's suggestion of using Phosphor Bronze, does anyone know if its available as Code 75 Rail?

Morning all,

Andy, thanks for bringing the show to those of us who currently can't attend in person - also nice to put faces to names from the list of digital friends! Looks like there were some classy layouts on display. The discussion on check rails is interesting but I can't see an easy way round it other than the scratch building of some sort of shield which could be held over the feature as the pointwork is cleaned by hand. Very time consuming but visually rewarding?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I remember you mentioning that very point when I started laying track on KL!

Jeff

Though I'm not doing much if any modelling at the moment I am still gathering information from my searches. The latest of these was from the Swindon & Wiltshire archives from the GWR section where I found a listing for some station drawings from 1897, after a quick chat with a nice lady called Gill I soon got a price for some copies and promptly ordered them.

They arrived this morning on a disc as she had to spend an hour and a half photographing them due to their large size.

They are the working drawings for the contractor doing the alterations and I can only say they are well worth the money, the detail on them is so great I know the size of every room and cross sections of each wall show the shelves, counters and even the height of the dado rail inside. The notes on the exterior list all the building and roofing materials as well as platform surfaces.

All in all a fantastic resource for modellers.

Now all I need is the time to build it and at two feet long just for the building and canopy it won't be quick.

Jim

Though I'm not doing much if any modelling at the moment I am still gathering information from my searches. The latest of these was from the Swindon & Wiltshire archives from the GWR section where I found a listing for some station drawings from 1897, after a quick chat with a nice lady called Gill I soon got a price for some copies and promptly ordered them.

They arrived this morning on a disc as she had to spend an hour and a half photographing them due to their large size.

They are the working drawings for the contractor doing the alterations and I can only say they are well worth the money, the detail on them is so great I know the size of every room and cross sections of each wall show the shelves, counters and even the height of the dado rail inside. The notes on the exterior list all the building and roofing materials as well as platform surfaces.

All in all a fantastic resource for modellers.

Now all I need is the time to build it and at two feet long just for the building and canopy it won't be quick.

Jim

Nice one Jim, sounds like a project for next winter evenings.

• RMweb Premium

My modelling of late has consisted of making 44 more windows from Microstrip (for the loading shed) and painting them, with the dreaded edges of the 10 thou strip driving me crazy. I am about a tenth of the way through painting the edges, it takes about 25 minutes per window (with the glazing in, I have to use a tiny brush and be very steady handed).

If that wasn't bad enough, I have now cut forty of the ninety slating strips to cover the top two thirds of the mil roof, and they all then need affixing.

And if THAT wasn't bad enough, I finished the replacement stone corbelling and gutters for the mill (including Microstrip brackets), sprayed them with Primer and have so far applied the base stone colour (gutters will go mucky green on the outside and dark rust/black on the inside). The painting needs to be finished before I can stick them to the mill.

Also, the water tank I made now has more verticals with rivets where they should be, is sprayed in undercoat and needs painting (and a representation of water inside, even though only those over 6' tall will ever get a glance of the inside of the tank.

Was chatting with Chris earlier (the raw layout has now moved to his house for dressing with the setts that the track will be inlaid into, as well as a fancy automated doo-da he is making for the fiddle yard sector plate). The main Mill building has taken six months so far and is still not finished, although I have got a lot of other things done (the retaining walls took longer than expected for starters).

I am now at the point where I can't wait to finish the buildings and start to build the loco kits and finish off the wagons (still have at least 10 other wagon kits to build too although they are not a priority as we already have enough for a much larger layout).

Such fun.......

Jason,

I'm simply astounded at the amount of work you put in to your projects, and, as I've said before, while holding down a full time job and keeping a wife happy - lesser mortals would simply shrink from the task!

I'm certain you will end up with a 'winner' on your hands as the workmanship and skill you have both shown on the Mill thread is truly inspirational.

Very best of luck when it comes to public view,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Jason, nothing that you do surprises me. I could almost expect that you'd give yourself MORE windows to do! People commented about my drive and determination - obsessive nature, really - when I converted the garage or the brickwork in the garden. Yes, but I do it in bursts. You manage to sustain that level with your modelling for years on end. I can't imagine doing an hour on a model before having to drive 100 miles to work - at 5am!!

I also wish I had a fragment of your railway-motivation at the moment. I'm presently in a photographic/telescope/astronomy groove and it may take a couple of months to shake me back into the bunker groove. I know you have an exhibition deadline to work to, and I'm pretty sure that you and Chris will make it. You can always ask Sofia to lend a hand....

Jeff

Good luck wit Mil Lad, no wonder we haven't see you on here for a while and no PM's either, still its nice to hear about some real Railway Modelling in here Mate and hope to catch up soon.

• RMweb Premium

When at home, I would rather be working on the layout than posting on here, and although there is a lot of progress being made towards the finished item, I don't see much point in popping up photos of what from the outside looks like very little has changed. Making the windows isn't too bad when you get into rhythm of it, it is the painting of the frames which is the time consuming part, taking many hours and who, if they are being honest, wants to see me progressing through that and the cutting of 90 strips of slates (the method of which has been posted on my 'Buildings for Bacup' thread)?

When I was working on Bacup, I posted just about every time I wielded a scalpel or brush. If I am honest, I can't be bothered to do that now and would rather post sporadic updates when there are a few items to show. It also keeps the thread smaller, neater and easier to manage (which makes it better for anyone who wants to read it from start to finish).

When I start on the Sentinel and the Ruston 48DS kits, I will probably document that. With the High Level RSH 14" saddle tank kit I bought last week, Chris is kindly building the chassis for me as he will make a far better job of it than I could (he really is a talented builder).

• RMweb Premium

P.s. Only got 15 minutes in this morning before setting off. Sat here now in the car park at work typing this on my iPhone (hence any spelling mistakes) and have just noticed splodges of green acrylic paint on my fingers :D

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder if your motivation had tailed off Jeff, sometimes making a start on something is the hardest part. Why not pop along to the Goathland exhibition in July and help out / have a play on The Mill, see if it fired you up a bit?

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder if your motivation had tailed off Jeff, sometimes making a start on something is the hardest part. Why not pop along to the Goathland exhibition in July and help out / have a play on The Mill, see if it fired you up a bit?

My motivation is a funny thing to quantify at the moment. I'm VERY keen to start building baseboards, as you know how much I like constructional work. However, a few things have mucked things up:

1) I've been unwell, with a number of ongoing things, for the last month. I've even had to cancel a couple of curry night-outs!

2) The amount of stuff still in the bunker is depressing. I thinned it all out by about 50% before starting the garage conversion, but when I look at it now I cannot see how I ever managed

to do all the interior work! So much stuff still in there! The building site manager is providing us with a skip, so I'm going into the bunker at the weekend with my brother and we aim to

chuck some more stuff out. If I can get started with the carpet tiles, I'll be on my way!

3) Buying the telescope (with another on the way.....) and gearing up for photography etc has side-tracked me - in a very enjoyable way.

4) My brother has sub-contracted me into construction work (not a lot to do, though) for the front garden....

I remember the sheer enjoyment of building those kits - 4 months ago. It doesn't take much to get me "on a roll", so don't give up on me, just yet!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

When at home, I would rather be working on the layout than posting on here, and although there is a lot of progress being made towards the finished item, I don't see much point in popping up photos of what from the outside looks like very little has changed. Making the windows isn't too bad when you get into rhythm of it, it is the painting of the frames which is the time consuming part, taking many hours and who, if they are being honest, wants to see me progressing through that and the cutting of 90 strips of slates (the method of which has been posted on my 'Buildings for Bacup' thread)?

When I was working on Bacup, I posted just about every time I wielded a scalpel or brush. If I am honest, I can't be bothered to do that now and would rather post sporadic updates when there are a few items to show. It also keeps the thread smaller, neater and easier to manage (which makes it better for anyone who wants to read it from start to finish).

When I start on the Sentinel and the Ruston 48DS kits, I will probably document that. With the High Level RSH 14" saddle tank kit I bought last week, Chris is kindly building the chassis for me as he will make a far better job of it than I could (he really is a talented builder).

Agree very much with this.

As we discussed, this is how I'll be doing the updates once KL2 - the layout bit - gets underway.

Jeff

Archived