Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

And heres D831 in very early early blue

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-evanses/11221001116/

D864 in early early blue was essentially this layout of numbers and arrows but with FYE

So early blue was as worn by D849

http://www.miac.org.uk/images/8492a.jpg

Then theres early late blue as worn by 846 and 847

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/289567451017714456/

And finally late blue as  per Dr G-Fs post above

Is that all the Blue Class 43 options? hee hee

Phil

• Like 1

Phil,

Here is a (frankly rubbish) scan of the shot of D864 I mentioned. I'm afraid printing in 1960's IA Combines wasn't that great, but I hope it helps.

Interesting that the wheel rims are quite shiny, so I guess this must have been taken soon after shopping.

If K.M. Knight is reading this and objects to his photo being used, I will gladly remove it, otherwise a big thanks to you sir!

John.

post-7782-0-20482100-1479733692_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 3

Phil,

Here is a (frankly rubbish) scan of the shot of D864 I mentioned. I'm afraid printing in 1960's IA Combines wasn't that great, but I hope it helps.

Interesting that the wheel rims are quite shiny, so I guess this must have been taken soon after shopping.

If K.M. Knight is reading this and objects to his photo being used, I will gladly remove it, otherwise a big thanks to you sir!

John.

Hello John,

I have that Combine somewhere,but had it in my mind that the OOC shot was more head-on,thanks for sharing.

There are one or two published shots of Zambesi in Swindon after the collision,but pictures in that scheme in service seem to be non-existant.

A bit like colour pictures of Warrior in blue...

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Yep,have seen that one,and the following image also states that one of the Warships is Warrior,at Newton Abbot.No disrespect whatsoever to the photographer,but neither image is 100% identifiable as D863.There must be other pictures out there...

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Neil asked if we resprayed Sprightly - no, its just heavy weathering

She has also acquired a maroon panel on the valances - could it be this missing one from the withdrawn Sultan perhaps?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-the-fleet-is-in-warships-to-the-front/page-7

Phil

This afternoon I've fitted all the detailing parts to my example, and thanks to everyone for their tips in the thread on how to do this.

I did find some of the roof holes a bit tight for the lifting rings, and opened them up a bit using a fine reamer.

If anyone completed the fitting of the lifting rings and had four spare, i.e. they didn't lose any, they should in my view receive a global achievement award for railway modelling! In my case I had one left over, one broke in half, and the other two have vanished into the ether.

John.

Those lifting rings are tricky John but have you tried a Dapol Western.....????

Phil

Cheers Phil. No I haven't any Dapol Westerns in fact, as I really liked the Heljan ones with their silky mechanisms, despite the cab roof issue. My four have had quite a lot of detailing, and I couldn't really justify another lot of Dapol ones, particularly as my layout is "notionally" BR(ER) Sheffield area!!

John.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers John. Heljan ones all gone now from abbotswood... Dapol replacement for 1013 is the latest..not sure it will be the last though!

And half of them are still waiting their lifting rings to be fitted...

• 2 weeks later...

To me they seem very highly geared !

However once well run in and a Loksound chip installed this hasn't caused any problems - pick ups are a problem however, the arrangement as installed is nowhere near good enough for a DCC sound installation so wiper pick ups fitted - an easy job

All 3 of ours performed well at the Cotswold show at the weekend

Phil

Phil, I think you're absolutely right about the gearing.

Having done the detailing on my 43 "Zealous", I did some work including a service on an old 42 BSYP, "Monarch", which I've had for years and only test run. I am still on analogue, and the 43 has a very high top speed and struggles to crawl. By contrast the old 42 is much better at slow speed and has a far more sensible top speed.

I'm sure someone will say I need to join the 21st century, but....!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Phil, I think you're absolutely right about the gearing.

Having done the detailing on my 43 "Zealous", I did some work including a service on an old 42 BSYP, "Monarch", which I've had for years and only test run. I am still on analogue, and the 43 has a very high top speed and struggles to crawl. By contrast the old 42 is much better at slow speed and has a far more sensible top speed.

I'm sure someone will say I need to join the 21st century, but....!

John.

I've bought a few Bachmann 43's,great models. However,some of mine make a grinding sound from one bogie,maybe I've inadvertently bought some with built-in Voith transmission sounds.Do they benefit from lots of running in? By contrast, I've just finished a repaint,re-name etc.on a Bachmann 42 that's been stashed away and not seen the light of day for years,a touch of oil and it runs smoothly and virtually silently.

Am analogue too..

• RMweb Gold

Running in would be first line of attack but if IIRC others have reported similar issues which they have cured by dismantling cleaning regreasing and reassembling the gear train

Phil

Running in would be first line of attack but if IIRC others have reported similar issues which they have cured by dismantling cleaning regreasing and reassembling the gear train

Phil

Blimey did BR have to go to those lengths??!! Will give that process a go.Thanks for the info Phil,

Neil

PS hows your Zambesi looking?

Wow, the brown underframe? This is the version Im waiting for! (Long wait!!)

The next two 43s in works are Superb and Zambesi - just back from Howes with Bryan's excellent sound files and blue tacked speakers, copped it in the neck from SWMBO last night for making too much racket on the dining room table.

D849 will be early blue with serif numbers

D864 as first shopped in early blue with numbers under engine room windows - but struggling to find any photos of her in that livery....can anyone advise please?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Body stripped ready for work to progress on D849, D326, 125, D1584 and D864 - also got a weathered GFYE body from Bachmann for D8175 so putting that through works at same time

So down to the fine details for D864

Given that she still had MU in the next livery she carried http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=D864+zambesi&view=detailv2&&id=8C135A39CCF05E42602E7ABB0C6C8D57D7C3DF91&selectedIndex=1&ccid=71S8yKTu&simid=607989185071483382&thid=OIP.Mef54bcc8a4ee9474fc1c77163f7617bdo0&ajaxhist=0  am assuming she had them in the earlier version

Also looking at that photo is the buffer beam the same colour as the skirt - umber? If so what about the buffers - umber or red?

Very grateful if anyone has the answers please....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Phil, the picture I posted from the IA combine shows her without MU cables, and my guess from the condition of the wheel rims and shiny NB worksplate is that this shot was taken soon after shopping in Blue/umber with the numbers under the windows. It looks to me as if the umber was also on the buffer beam - it's a black & white shot but the shading is the same - and this is consistent with the Brush Veteran pics referenced via #503 above. The first of these also shows the loco without MU cables.

I'll bring the book to Nottingham in March so you can see, although I suspect you'll want her finished by then!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Gold

Phil, the picture I posted from the IA combine shows her without MU cables, and my guess from the condition of the wheel rims and shiny NB worksplate is that this shot was taken soon after shopping in Blue/umber with the numbers under the windows. It looks to me as if the umber was also on the buffer beam - it's a black & white shot but the shading is the same - and this is consistent with the Brush Veteran pics referenced via #503 above. The first of these also shows the loco without MU cables.

I'll bring the book to Nottingham in March so you can see, although I suspect you'll want her finished by then!

John.

Thanks John

Yes agree with the timing of that photo - she looks fresh off! And am also favouring umber buffer beam and buffers - I reckon that was the same on D1733.

The MU being removed and reinstated is a bit puzzling - decided the scan of the OOC picture wasn't clear enough but if clearly missing then that's how she will be modelled.

And as for Neil's comments re stripping and cleaning the drive gears - I suspect if that was all BR had to do to them they would have been much happier.....!!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Blimey did BR have to go to those lengths??!! Will give that process a go.Thanks for the info Phil,

Neil

PS hows your Zambesi looking?

You may jest, but BR had to go further than that to keep hydraulic transmissions serviceable, involved a lot of shims as I understand.

Mike.