Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC has just announced its new limited edition D845 Sprightly in Green with small yellow panel and white eyebrows (32-066Z) on Facebook, expected to arrive in January 2017 presumably along with the next batch of standard releases.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Kernow MRC has just announced its new limited edition D845 Sprightly in Green with small yellow panel and white eyebrows (32-066Z) on Facebook, expected to arrive in January 2017 presumably along with the next batch of standard releases.

Many thanks Andrew

Had heard a rumour - but we already have D845 GSYP and that white cab roof is a bit early for us....

Main release includes Rapid in MFYE - we already have D844 in that livery, this will allow an easy fix for D834/38/42... 

Cheers

Phil

You may jest, but BR had to go further than that to keep hydraulic transmissions serviceable, involved a lot of shims as I understand.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

That was a throwaway comment,but I am a bit miffed that having bought several new 43's,some of them are a bit noisy when running,unlike the much earlier Bachmann 42's.

I've read that Warship transmissions,being under the cab floor,could generate a lot of heat and be noisy.

It would be interesting to have the views of the fitters who worked on them...

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks John

Yes agree with the timing of that photo - she looks fresh off! And am also favouring umber buffer beam and buffers - I reckon that was the same on D1733.

The MU being removed and reinstated is a bit puzzling - decided the scan of the OOC picture wasn't clear enough but if clearly missing then that's how she will be modelled.

And as for Neil's comments re stripping and cleaning the drive gears - I suspect if that was all BR had to do to them they would have been much happier.....!!

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

I expect you have this book in your collection,but in "Heyday of theWarships" there is a (great) picture of Zambesi at Old Oak Common,dated

10 1 71. The MU equipment is still in place,but as the caption states,unlikely to be still in working order at that stage.

As regards the brown underframe,the picture shows various colours in that area,and probably lots of dirt.

Your workshop has it's work cut out!

Neil

Thanks John

Yes agree with the timing of that photo - she looks fresh off! And am also favouring umber buffer beam and buffers - I reckon that was the same on D1733.

The MU being removed and reinstated is a bit puzzling - decided the scan of the OOC picture wasn't clear enough but if clearly missing then that's how she will be modelled.

And as for Neil's comments re stripping and cleaning the drive gears - I suspect if that was all BR had to do to them they would have been much happier.....!!

Cheers

Phil

Just realised-you said you are doing Zambesi in it's first BR blue version.So my comment is not very relevant-sorry...!!

• RMweb Gold

More work on D864 tonight

We have heard of smart design on here before

But this is the smartest I have come across yet

5 mins work from complete chassis to get to this

post-7138-0-87784000-1481576734_thumb.jpg

6 screws - 2 bogie towers, one either end attaching skirt to chassis and two for switch in fuel tank

And 4 clips - 5 mins work!

Body is already stripped ready for transfers - will do decent pick ups on bogies too while they are out.

Just need to blank off MU mountings and add shed plate pads on buffer beam before repainting. Only disappointment on this model - it has been said before - is that buffers are not sprung. So they will also be getting a coat of umber in situ and then touched up afterwards...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robert - it certainly is!

The die is cast - given that she had lost her MU in green livery

https://www.flickr.com/photos/francis3351/8023762906/in/photolist-fLdaLS-hyMvc3-dpXesM-de2TaL-9AdaCg-gSQJqP

and it wasn't immediately reinstated when she was outshopped in her second incarnation of blue in May 67

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309619883/

Then the die is cast - have had to assume MU connections blanked off during period she carried first incarnation of blue livery, shedcode plate mount also fitted

post-7138-0-57799900-1481998588_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the umber will be sprayed tomorrow - that will be the bogie frames too. Apologies for crummy photo!

D849 also going through works at same time - modelling her as

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/289567451017714386/

Early font, no MU, shed plate on buffer beam side faring

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Robert, thanks for posting a query on the Yahoo Hydraulics group. And as is usually the case the answer emerged - from Martin Street - thank you both, Gentlemen.

All Warships had their MU jumpers removed around 1965 and, as is common knowledge, a number of the Swindon loco’s had them refitted in early 68 for the 2 x 42 diagrams on the West of England services. However, prior to this it would appear Old Oak carried out a trial working of pairs of type 43’s in mid 67, refitting D833, D835, D857 and D864. The cables were soon removed from the first two but they stayed on the later two. In fact D857 even had the white diamonds painted on the buffer beam similar to the Class 42’s. I don’t believe that the MU cables were ever used after the short trial.

So that's no MU cables in this livery then. And in the absence of other photos have had to make some assumptions....

post-7138-0-13853200-1483471946_thumb.jpg

If anyone with access to any other photos spots an error please shout - will seal the transfers with varnish in a couple of days, then there is no going back!

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, thanks for posting a query on the Yahoo Hydraulics group. And as is usually the case the answer emerged - from Martin Street - thank you both, Gentlemen.

All Warships had their MU jumpers removed around 1965 and, as is common knowledge, a number of the Swindon loco’s had them refitted in early 68 for the 2 x 42 diagrams on the West of England services. However, prior to this it would appear Old Oak carried out a trial working of pairs of type 43’s in mid 67, refitting D833, D835, D857 and D864. The cables were soon removed from the first two but they stayed on the later two. In fact D857 even had the white diamonds painted on the buffer beam similar to the Class 42’s. I don’t believe that the MU cables were ever used after the short trial.

So that's no MU cables in this livery then. And in the absence of other photos have had to make some assumptions....

attachicon.gifDSC00917.JPG

If anyone with access to any other photos spots an error please shout - will seal the transfers with varnish in a couple of days, then there is no going back!

Cheers

Phil

Any Zambesi update Phil?

btw,is your appearance(and presumably Abbotswood) at Newbury next month still happening?

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any Zambesi update Phil?

btw,is your appearance(and presumably Abbotswood) at Newbury next month still happening?

Neil

Hi Neil - Newbury appearance certainly is still on - see link on my signature. Will you be paying a visit?

Zambesi had hit the buffers once transferred and varnished as Jimbo - the spray gum meister - has been ill since Christmas

However good news - he materialised this afternoon and was rapidly pointed in the direction of the spray gun! Zambesi's underframes were first on the hit list - followed by D6975 AND D326's FYEs, along with roof and frame dirt on D838, D1584, D125, D849 and D8175

So plenty of new power for Newbury if progress continues at that rate - although D1584 and D843 need a trip to Howes for Bryan to weave his magic, that will no doubt cost me another visit to Huffkins in Burford....

And started the "A" exams on all the other power today too....

Phil

• Like 2

Hi Neil - Newbury appearance certainly is still on - see link on my signature. Will you be paying a visit?

Zambesi had hit the buffers once transferred and varnished as Jimbo - the spray gum meister - has been ill since Christmas

However good news - he materialised this afternoon and was rapidly pointed in the direction of the spray gun! Zambesi's underframes were first on the hit list - followed by D6975 AND D326's FYEs, along with roof and frame dirt on D838, D1584, D125, D849 and D8175

So plenty of new power for Newbury if progress continues at that rate - although D1584 and D843 need a trip to Howes for Bryan to weave his magic, that will no doubt cost me another visit to Huffkins in Burford....

And started the "A" exams on all the other power today too....

Phil

Hello Phil,

Will be paying a visit to Newbury,easy for me to get to.And,with all the additions to your fleet,better bring my Combined Volume...

So Jimbo (your son?) gets out of his sick bed and is forced into the spray booth immediately-it's a harsh regime at your place...

Huffkins in Burford-a Chipping Norton set hang-out..?? Can I ask what colour/paint manufacturer you used for D864's u/frame please? I have one to do myself.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to plural Neils - Downendian and t-other Neil too!

Will be great to see you both

Have done 864 underframes with Precision Pullman Umber over grey primer and thus far am not impressed. Needs going over again possibly with some added black.... looks much too pale. Will post a picture tonight although the light wont be good!

And yup its a tough life in Churchdown works.....! Poor old Jimbo has had two bouts of norovirus since Christmas and has been suffering from cabin fever too...hence my encouragement. Tough love. He was game for starting 3 more warships but I suggested it might be a good idea to get those in hand completed first...so if we get these done for Newbury there could be a further batch done for Nottingham in March!

Phil

Thanks to plural Neils - Downendian and t-other Neil too!

Will be great to see you both

Have done 864 underframes with Precision Pullman Umber over grey primer and thus far am not impressed. Needs going over again possibly with some added black.... looks much too pale. Will post a picture tonight although the light wont be good!

And yup its a tough life in Churchdown works.....! Poor old Jimbo has had two bouts of norovirus since Christmas and has been suffering from cabin fever too...hence my encouragement. Tough love. He was game for starting 3 more warships but I suggested it might be a good idea to get those in hand completed first...so if we get these done for Newbury there could be a further batch done for Nottingham in March!

Phil

Regarding Newbury-likewise! Thanks for the paint info.Look forward to seeing the result.

Give the lad a break...!

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with Abbotswood so forgive Phil and to the readers of this column, any idea what shade of green the go fast strip on the side of the green Warship is ?.  I'm attempting my usual bodge job.

Thanks

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I thought this was off-white, but stand to be corrected.

Visiting my local model shop I picked up Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue and 90 Beige Green, they are both very close matches and now it's testing time.  Thanks for the attention.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So back on to a catch up with Zambesi

Heres how the Pullman umber looked in natural light ...

post-7138-0-16524900-1488626581_thumb.jpg

Far too pale ....

So had to go to Halfords to get a new headlamp bulb for Betsy before heading for Ponty and Cardiff later today....The thought struck, what about car paint? Not a wide choice of browns but thought one might be suitable...

post-7138-0-70337100-1488626709_thumb.jpg

What do others think? My colour vision is useless!

And what colour is it? Brazilian Brown! Appropriate for a spray job below the waist line for sure....

Phil