Regional Railways Mk2 stock

• RMweb Premium

I was lucky enough to get myself both sets of the Model Rail Bachmann Mk2s in Regional livery off Ebay, which will give me a 3xTSO + BSO formation; I was wondering, were these trains usually 2nd class only, and if not, what would be a prototypical vehicle with 1st class accommodation (blue/grey FK or BFK perhaps, or even a Bachy Mk1 FK in RR livery?) Also, was Mk1 and Mk2 stock routinely mixed in RR sets?

A search of my (very) limited D&E era library for a prototype pic has proved fruitless, these trains appear to have been rarely photographed.

Edited by Colin

Harris' book on Mk2 Coaching Stock says that they were used from 1991 on the Blackpool/Southport - Manchester services in rakes of BSO, 3 TSO with either another TSO or a BFK. The 1992 Platform 5 Combined shows nine BFKs allocated to Liverpol Edge Hill but six of them were Mk2C and the other 3, whilst being Mk2a, were in the authorised for condemnation pool. One of these three was vacuum braked in NSE livery and the other two were air braked and in InterCity.

This photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/5913598524/ shows TSO, BSO, 3 TSO. That would seem a reasonable combination. I did a search in flickr of regional+railways 1994, have a go and see what other photos you can find.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks gents - one of the Flickr pics shows a mixed Mk1/Mk2 formation, which answers my other question.

That chocolate/cream Mk1 that crops up in a couple of shots looks very odd - had it been borrowed from a rake used for specials?

Edited by Colin

Harris' book on Mk2 Coaching Stock says that they were used from 1991 on the Blackpool/Southport - Manchester services in rakes of BSO, 3 TSO with either another TSO or a BFK. The 1992 Platform 5 Combined shows nine BFKs allocated to Liverpol Edge Hill but six of them were Mk2C and the other 3, whilst being Mk2a, were in the authorised for condemnation pool. One of these three was vacuum braked in NSE livery and the other two were air braked and in InterCity.

This photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/5913598524/ shows TSO, BSO, 3 TSO. That would seem a reasonable combination. I did a search in flickr of regional+railways 1994, have a go and see what other photos you can find.

The Nov 1991 Motive Power magazine has an article called "Edge Hill's Club Trains". As well as InterCity sets, as of Sept 1991 26 AB Mk2 vehicles were allocated to the depot for RR services, sets listed:

LL21 - 9458, 5353, 5386, 5401, 17128

LL22 - 9435, 5385, 5266, 5304, 5366

LL24 - 5267, 5396, 9421, 5393, 17123

LL25 - 9419, 5505, 5491, 5316, 5432, 9424

Spares - 5271, 5282, 5354, 9417, 17118

The article text explains the services they were used on.

That chocolate/cream Mk1 that crops up in a couple of shots looks very odd - had it been borrowed from a rake used for specials?

One hired in every summer in the mid 90's for each rake on the N Wales Coast. Apparently the accountants found it cheaper that way! Kev.

• 7 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m doing some work on my Regional Railways Mk2 coaches.  What kind of brakes (of the stopping type, not guards) did they have, vacuum or air brakes?  If the latter, do I need to fit discs on the outside of the wheels?

The coaching stock numbers in Mark54's post above are for Mk2a, Mk2b and Mk2c stock which, in this case, are all air braked but with tread brakes so you don't need disc brake wheels.

Edited by Flood