MANCHESTER EXHIBITION 2013 - 5 and 6 October

Andy C

Thanks to Penrith Beacon for the photos of my layout Kilbrandon at the Manchester Show, an exhibition I really enjoyed. The photos are very clear and detailed and do show up a few places and stock that needs some work done! But thanks again - by the way, what camera are you using?

Thank you for the kind comments. The camera I use is one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00BYOYAES/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382959299&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+sx270hs and it's mounted on one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-MMC3-02-Compact-Monopod-Grey/dp/B0049SZA9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382959498&sr=1-1&keywords=manfrotto+mmc3-02

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Let's not draw to many conclusions , they are I believe looking for a new venue, perhaps they haven't found a suitable one with available dates.

If this is the reason I wish them luck in there search as the exhibition will be missed.

Let's not draw to many conclusions ,

For fairness it's probably best if I quote the letter:

Dear all

THE FUTURE OF THE MANCHESTER MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION

I said I would contact you all once the Society had had the opportunity to review this year’s exhibition. This letter is being distributed to a wider audience than just those who were at this years show. The purpose of this is two fold. Firstly, it is to keep you all up to speed as to where we are with the Manchester show since you have all supported us, if not this year certainly in the past, and secondly, to stop the rumour mill which is already in full swing and will be in overdrive at the NEC this weekend.

At one time, certainly in my (distant) youth, the Manchester show was in the premier league of model railway exhibitions. It is probably now no longer in the first division. To say it has gone off the radar for a vast number of people is an understatement and the gate has been falling for a number of years. I know we are not the only show this is happening to but as one of the former top shows in the country hitting the ground from such a height could cause at lot of injury. In financial terms, whilst the Society made a small surplus at the 2013 show, it is requiring greater critical financial intervention by the management team to make the show viable, and clearly this is not sustainable even in the medium term. Therefore, if the downward trend were to continue, and there is very little evidence to say that it wont should the show continue with the same format/venue/date, it could result in a complete disaster for many of you associated with it and may end up bankrupting the Manchester Model Railway Society.

As most of you will know it was never our intention to return to the Armitage Centre again this year but circumstances dictated that a return became inevitable. For future years a new venue must be found and several of you have suggested a return to the city centre. Such a location would suit virtually everyone but unfortunately finding an appropriately priced venue within the city centre is easier said than done. For example, the last time the Society approached GMex a figure that topped the NEC was quoted – but you never know what might happen in the future!

So, at the current time we are 10½ months away from next years show (if it was to keep to the same time of year) with no venue in sight. The current Exhibition Management team does not feel, therefore, that it can prepare and organise a show in such a timescale. Therefore, the Manchester Model Railway Society wishes to announce that it will NOT be holding an exhibition in 2014 but will continue to investigate appropriate venues in which to hold a show. We have visited a number of venues in the Manchester area but unfortunately non have really met our requirements. A change of date is also being considered but finding a time which doesn’t tread on someone’s toes is not that easy!

Please treat the above as the definitive view from the Manchester Model Railway Society. The Society is not about to fold, it has not abandoned the idea of ever holding a show again. It is, however, making the courageous step of, “taking a break from the exhibition scene, and will review the situation to run another show in the future if and when the circumstances are right for the MMRS”.

So don’t, for one minute, think that you’ve heard the last of us……..we’ll be back, fitter and stronger!!

Thanks for all your support, past, present and future. We’ll keep you informed of what we come up with at a later date.

Best wishes to all

Tony Williams

Trade and Society Coordinator

Manchester Model Railway Society

Thanks Andy, but as one who're remembers the exhibition when it was on the last weekend before Christmas and was attended by Dads with their children ( sometimes Mothers ).

I feel the move away from the tradition of the exhibition in December has somehow in the long term ultimately had an adverse effect. I may well be wrong but it is a personal feeling.

I've never visited the Manchester show, but from my youth the pre-chrimble shows were exciting...planning the Christmas list and persuading mum & dad that the loco I had an eye on was a thing of beauty.

Ok, that looks more promising and a sensible approach.

I think the acceptance that Manchester is no longer in the premier division is also a good standpoint to take. It allows the team to look at what they want in the future from a position of realism.

Might I suggest a change of timing and perhaps a word with the chaps at George H Carnall, not biased but I like the idea of walking to my home town exhibition.

Thanks Andy, but as one who're remembers the exhibition when it was on the last weekend before Christmas and was attended by Dads with their children ( sometimes Mothers ).

I feel the move away from the tradition of the exhibition in December has somehow in the long term ultimately had an adverse effect. I may well be wrong but it is a personal feeling.

I only went once when it was held in December and commented that the weather wasn't particuarly good, but was told "It's Manchester, it always rains here...".

I'm not sure if bad weather ever had an effect on local attendance, as they seem to be a hardy bunch up there. Then they had to move dates because of Warley (which then moved again with Wakefield). If they were relying on footfall from bored Christmas shoppers then they couldn't have predicted the downturn in the fortunes of city centre shopping at the time, and there are certainly many other unforseen aspects that might have influenced a change.

Sad but sensible.

Born and brought up in Manchester, I was a regular from the Corn Exchange days, through UMIST into the Century House years. Having moved away, in later years I combined my visit with a pre Christmas call on family, it became a bit of a tradition.

I haven't been since the move from December. It lost the nostalgia and magic for me then, and with the autumn date, it just became another distant exhibition. I appreciate that the loss of Century House was a blow and that finding a reasonable city centre venue must be difficult. Am I wrong in recalling that one of the reasons for the change of date was because of a 'clash' with Warley?, hardly seems to clash now.

Edit; earlier posts confirm the Warley clash concerns.

Anyway, I wish the MMRS, and any future exhibitions they hold, well.

Parking was a problem at the Armitage as you were sharing with all the hockey players and was not as handy for public transport. Ok the Wilmslow Road corridor was just a few minutes walk but if you were arriving by train it meant a walk from Victoria or Piccadilly to the buses, if you arrived at Mauldeth Rd or Levenshulme station the buses weren't quite as regular.

• RMweb Premium

We look forward to the next MMRS show. We had heard of the impending news at first hand at the recent show, so it is pleasing to see that such a huge effort is being made to secure another date and venue.  Manchester is a good couple of hours drive away for us but we regard it as one of our LOCAL exhibitions here in the North West.  Although we've only been in the hobby for a few years, it has become a MUST for us so it will be great news to see it up and running again.  December?  That gets a yes vote from me, too - just in case someone's counting.  :D

Best wishes for a successful venture.

Polly

First of all thanks to Andy for publishing the letter - an official press release is to follow, but its going to be the same text basically.

We were aware that some people had learned of our decision in advance and took the step of notifying all the trade, societies and layouts in advance of Warley as we knew the story would break there and if we gave the definitive position, then it would stop the majority of rumours escalating.

I'd re-emphasise that we are actively looking for a hall with at the absolute minimum 1,200 square metres and with very close walkable totransport links (i.e. not the George Carnell, we would be swapping one venue for another with exactly the same problem there). We would be open to suggestions please so if you have them, PM them to me rather than post them in public please.

Andy Cooper

Chair

MMRS

Thanks for publishing the letter - a colegue sent e an email last night and I put it down to simple rumour.

A sad situation but not beyond hope.

I have IIRC been to only 2 Manchester shows and enjoyed both. The old location in the city was a good location for a long weekend break and within reasonable walk of good hotels. The move to the somewhat suspect suround was not a good one - and I wonder how many were put off by that.

We have seen with the EM guage show just what a difference a good venue can make.

Too many shows competing for a dwindling audience? Maybe.

Poor planning of dates that clash with other shows? Possibly.

Simply modellers cutting back on their annual spend? Some but not all.

It is odd that some of the smaller clubs still seem to make money, perhaps it is because they have less of an outlay, access to cheaper venues? I cannot see it being attracting good layouts, the photos on this topic are testament to that and there must be plenty still to be seen. Is it attracting good trade, possibly as the trade seem to be cutting back the number of shows as they get older and find that "free" internet is a realistic business plan. Is it simply that the show managers are not sharing good ideas - sometimes I feel so, not talking to each other.

Anyway wishing at least a return in 2015.

Maybe public debate should be encouraged. That way you'll understand your market better. It is pretty obvious that some poor decisions have been made to turn a premier show into one about to fail.

I think Andy C knows what he is doing, debate will just raise biased suggestions.

How about Urmston Leisure Centre then?

• RMweb Gold

See post#70 - Urmston and George Carnell are one and the same.

Cheers,

MIck

Hi Mick,

There are not the same place as the Urmston Leisure Centre is on Bowfell Rd, Flixton and we passed it on the route I used for the free bus service for ExpoEM North to Urmston Station.

• RMweb Premium

I'm very sorry to read this but did see Andy at Warley at the weekend and he will be at Wakefield this week with New Hey.  I'm sorry abut what has happenned but can fully understand their reasoning.   Putting on a  high quality show is not easy with circumstances that can change easily and at short notice over which the organisers have no control.

I would however like to comment on the problems about clash of dates with Warley and Wakefield mentioned above.  I can confirm that before all of these there was full consultation between the three management teams, all of whom had different pressures to deal with.  Altering the date for a show is not done lightly but is sometimes unavoidable.  Manchester had problems with their original city centre venue and Warley ahd constant problems with the NEC but were then offerred a deal that allowed them to have a settled date. Unfortunatley this had to coincide with international week numbers used by the travel and exhibition trade and not with the traditional way of fixing it by the date that a particular Sunday falls on. None of these moves were done deliberately or at short notice, and only after appropriate cosultation.  As a result of the consultations that took place at Exhibition manager and club committe level a settled future has been achieved.  it's just unfortunate that Manchester have had such problems with their venue.

Jamie Guest

Exhibition Manager

Wakefield.

Edited for typos  26-11-13

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

There are not the same place as the Urmston Leisure Centre is on Bowfell Rd, Flixton and we passed it on the route I used for the free bus service for ExpoEM North to Urmston Station.

I stand corrected - thanks! Post removed.

Cheers,

Mick

Maybe public debate should be encouraged. That way you'll understand your market better. It is pretty obvious that some poor decisions have been made to turn a premier show into one about to fail.

May one ask, how many Exhibitions you've managed then?

I cant juggle but i can tell a bad Juggler from a good one.....

that "how many do you do" chestnut always makes me laugh :D

You can only p@ss with the c@ck you've got. In Manchester, that means no city centre venues. Plain and simple. No excuses, no cover up, simple fact. Everything else has limitations, drawbacks and reasons not to be used by either railway clubs or if they Do then potential punters. The clubs are damned either way.

All credit to MMRS,( of which I a not a member nor am I involved with their show except as punter and / or exhibitor over the years ), for airing their predicament whilst a more acceptable solution is found. They will not be the first nor last major club to have to make this sort of decision over the coming years as interest / money / trade dry up as the ageing process progresses.

... The simple  fact is the had a really good exhibtion and now they dont......

I suppose its all a matter of perception, but went to this exhibition and enjoyed it. The last MMRS show I went to was the December 1970 show immediately before I moved to London and I think I can honestly say that the 2013 show was better than that one and all its predecessors that I went to. I can also say that it was well within any reasonable expectations I have of a MRS ... what more can I say?

Regards

I suppose its all a matter of perception, but went to this exhibition and enjoyed it. The last MMRS show I went to was the December 1970 show immediately before I moved to London and I think I can honestly say that the 2013 show was better than that one and all its predecessors that I went to. I can also say that it was well within any reasonable expectations I have of a MRS ... what more can I say?

Regards

I'm impressed by your pictures from Manchester; I had been contemplating buying a monopod, and have now ordered from Amazon one of the type you mention. Did you have any problems in getting your photos without annoying other visitors, or did you have access before the show opened? Any further comments on your methods would be of interest, please!

Sorry to see an iconic exhibition in the process of finishing ,since I can remember the shows to visit were The MRC show in London and Manchester,times change but shows such as this should be able to continue.Venues are a problem they all seem to be the same and have identical problems with an area like Manchester there must be a suitable venue and I wish the organisers all the luck in finding somewhere as this show cannot disappear.

Archived