Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Signs are, the hunt for signs is looking good   ...

First off a simple sandwich board, hand written    ...................   and rather tempting    .....

16026937191_93196b6d14_c.jpg
Fancy a bigger bite by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Further down the same row of "Eateries"  a manufactured Costa sign [just like the stuff it advertises]  ....    :beee:

and one for Fish & Chips    .............

16003107806_1a2eca3919_c.jpg
Maybe just coffee by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Then on to Butcher's Row   ........   a few more signs of different design    ...............   and a somewhat nervous passer-by   ...........

16028181822_9f274bf390_c.jpg
5 Signs and a nervous passer-by by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Something else, in every shot    ...................    also very common around the City     .......    those little Wind-breaks    ....   with the Cafe/shop name emblazoned there-on  ....    lots of them and very useful in our "Balmy" "Barmy" climate   .....   

Hope that is of some help, Jaz.

Just as an aside, the floor is worth a peek too, from very old drain and brick sides in the last picture, to the brand new, this year surface in the square     ........    we like our smooth surfaces in Salisbury  ...   :sungum:

• Like 5

I am just about to go look at my thread. Sorry I have not been on, I have developed a terrible stutter. (Julian will have noticed this when we spoke on the phone) I went back to the doctor today, and it transpires the tablet he gave me to prevent migraines has a very rare side effect, oh yes you guessed it, part of which can show as a blxxdy stutter, it slows your mind and subsequently your voice, so am stopping the tablet today, and in a coupe of weeks should be back to normal. I have done some work and will upload some pictures, but the stress of the stutter had put a serious crinkle in my mindset. Hopefully I can get enough stuff back on line for Xmas day....now I know it not me going blxxdy crazy.

I do tend to have bad reactions to tablets ,,,I am like a canary in a mine, over the years I have serious reactions to tablets, but as the stutter and other symptoms built up slowly, rather than a 24hour smack in the face which has been my usual bad reaction to tablets, there was no knee jerk obvious tell tale.

So my early Xmas present is I am not going any more crazy than I was previously....LOL.......

So you can expect some semblance of normal service, remembering that i have to 'do' Xmas for the family too. 

Oh dear Jaz. You're having some bad luck just recently. Hope you get back to normal soon.

Just been looking back through the last lot of wonderful pictures. You're doing a cracking job on those streets.

I particularly like those cobbles with the weeds, they look very effective. Once again you have shown you are the master of PIR.

Say hello to Kal for me, and hope your looking forward to Christmas.

Off to work now.

Take Care

Cheers

Marcus

I am just about to go look at my thread. Sorry I have not been on, I have developed a terrible stutter. (Julian will have noticed this when we spoke on the phone) I went back to the doctor today, and it transpires the tablet he gave me to prevent migraines has a very rare side effect, oh yes you guessed it, part of which can show as a blxxdy stutter, it slows your mind and subsequently your voice, so am stopping the tablet today, and in a coupe of weeks should be back to normal. I have done some work and will upload some pictures, but the stress of the stutter had put a serious crinkle in my mindset. Hopefully I can get enough stuff back on line for Xmas day....now I know it not me going blxxdy crazy.

I do tend to have bad reactions to tablets ,,,I am like a canary in a mine, over the years I have serious reactions to tablets, but as the stutter and other symptoms built up slowly, rather than a 24hour smack in the face which has been my usual bad reaction to tablets, there was no knee jerk obvious tell tale.

So my early Xmas present is I am not going any more crazy than I was previously....LOL.......

So you can expect some semblance of normal service, remembering that i have to 'do' Xmas for the family too. 

Did not notice, in our phone call a few mins ago.......... :O......  :no:.    (  :angel: )

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Premium

First off a simple sandwich board, hand written    ...................   and rather tempting    .....

Further down the same row of "Eateries"  a manufactured Costa sign [just like the stuff it advertises]  ....    :beee:

Then on to Butcher's Row   ........   a few more signs of different design    ...............   and a somewhat nervous passer-by   ...........

Something else, in every shot    ...................    also very common around the City     .......    those little Wind-breaks    ....   with the Cafe/shop name emblazoned there-on  ....    lots of them and very useful in our "Balmy" "Barmy" climate   .....   

Just as an aside, the floor is worth a peek too, from very old drain and brick sides in the last picture, to the brand new, this year surface in the square     ........    we like our smooth surfaces in Salisbury  ...   :sungum:

Sorry, but the surfaces in Butcher Row/Fish Row are quite recent, 80s/early 90s (ish). It was formerly a street with carriageway and pavements.

http://www.francisfrith.com/locations/salisbury/photos/salisbury-fish-row-c1950-28703477

I often visit Salisbury and remember the work being done. 

Pete

Edited to add link

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 2

J-J-J-Jaz... Ax K-K-Kal w-why my p-p-p-p-p-p- PC w-won't do Qu-qu-qu- quotes jus' n-now.

Sorry. Boring. couldn't resist. (blush smilie)

Anyone? Haven't been able to do *reply-quotes* for a few days?....  :(

Tony.

cheeky devil ;p I'll ask Kal, but suspect you have changed a setting if it worked before and mine just worked....

Sorry to hear of your adverse reaction Jaz. I do hope you will be fully fit in time for Christmas as it sounds like you have set yourself up with a lot of work. I'd like to take the opportunity to wish you and Kal a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. (I'll probably now forget that I've done that and repeat myself but better than no greeting at all!) 

Kind regards,

Jock.

12dec I was up to here

med_gallery_17883_3493_93606.jpg3747

figures, have been dulled, shadows added, so they are not to bright when photographed,

the road and street are slowly coming down in colour....but still need the rain, slush, and puddles....

so far we have part of a market town with narrow streets and some old fashioned shop fronts,

which work equally well for 1960s (maybe earlier) unto modern day.

And the people and vehicles are being used to help represent the earlier time period

although so far, there are no old lady frocks, no old style prams, no head scarfs, and no old fashioned school kids freezing in the short shorts and socks

• Like 5

back at the main point where you walk along the layout so you can get the best focal point I am aiming for the most interest, and this area continues to build up slowly

med_gallery_17883_3493_368104.jpg3752

in the 1960s cars were much smaller than now and two way traffic even on roads originally designed for horse drawn carriages was not out of the question, often now with bigger cars and massive lorries and buses these roads are having to be turned into one way roads or even pedestrian walk ways, so when i put modern cars here a no entry sign will be a necessity.

As I have a load of items for my Heartbeat area I am nicking them temporarily for this Christmas scene, and later they can migrate back to they real homes and be updated with modern items. And many of them will have been improved in this makeover.

• Like 4

The public houses courtyard has acquired a nice lamppost, and in the distance where i cannot permanently site shops i have stood a couple to improve the background.

med_gallery_17883_3493_31710.jpg3753

The potted plant being stood next to so much moss has been given a lick of green transparent paint, and the stuff tends to spread all over the place.

Anyone who has a caravan near leyland will attest to this fact!!!!!

The extra benches and plants and people are here as I build up this area for the Christmas Eve party.

But you have to ember this is a 1960s Xmas lights etc not a modern day version.

I have also chosen to face the front of the pub into the courtyard and could turn it when photographing the road behind.

med_gallery_17883_3493_13679.jpg3754

• Like 6

I had some of these items on Heartbeat, but luckily had more, or the containers to repackage

med_gallery_17883_3493_41726.jpg3757

coal bunkers, with dustbins and pig bins were a common sight

med_gallery_17883_3493_25228.jpg3758

I have stuff from various sources, but only coal bunkers from this company so far.

and as previously mentioned in the 1960s boys in short shorts and long or short socks and blazers was a common sight often with straw boaters, or caps. Well I lived near Eton in those days.

med_gallery_17883_3493_423360.jpg3759

the picture was a bit fuzzy but i am sure you get the idea....and you'll see the Christ Tree is almost sorted. It was a trial with copydex glue and jewellery making beads

med_gallery_17883_3493_287893.jpg3771

queueing at the bus stop....a very English image

• Like 4

There is still other details to go in, and probably a real 1960s street would not have quite so many cars, and you'll see the red and green (jewellery beads) light bulbs over the shop window, and a really pukey lilac Hillman Imp.

med_gallery_17883_3493_338733.jpg3760

an old Hillman Imp was my first car it was a dark green, and I will be repainting the lilac one which is way too shiny anyway.I never took a photograph of it. I had a look through my dads photographs and can't see it. Loads of our VW beetles and the VW passat estate.

• Like 2

and as previously mentioned in the 1960s boys in short shorts and long or short socks and blazers was a common sight often with straw boaters, or caps. Well I lived near Eton in those days.

med_gallery_17883_3493_423360.jpg3759

the picture was a bit fuzzy but i am sure you get the idea....and you'll see the Christ Tree is almost sorted. It was a trial with copydex glue and jewellery making beads

queueing at the bus stop....a very English image

I was nowhere near Eaton or anything vaguely similar, but caps were for the winter and 6th Form wore Boaters, during the Summer    ......   I still have my boater, although the only reason is that I have never got around to binning it.   .......    :senile:

MD keeps looking at it and wanting it for dressing up, but it is a proper made and varnished[?] one with a lining too, so I am as yet reluctant on that score.

Edit:  School colours were Gold [bright Yellow more like] and Black - it doesn't take much imagination to work out what vertical stripes of those colours looked like  .....    :O

Edited by jcredfer

ooops discussed this with david todd, and almost forgot to respond to it. I asked julian to post me up scenes of Salisbury Market Town for reference I am very interest in the sandwich boards etc, things you walk past and take little notice of but have to walk around. Pub menus, adverts for side alleys etc. 

Brilliant observation Julian

Thank you so much.

Now I have to quickly make my own.

The back alley, and some bashed bins, with some missing lids, I suspect the local bobby will be looking into this, in those days, they did didn't they. 

med_gallery_17883_3493_164122.jpg3761

• Like 2

A further theft off Heartbeat area has increased my vehicle numbers

med_gallery_17883_3493_161092.jpg3762

which will be needed as I am working on the back road at the moment

I had a rather hit and miss attempt at side burns so turned it into a beard....I will touch it up with some flesh later. Old images of Humperdinck etc in very flowery trousers and wild and wooly hair does come to mind. duffle coats a must.

med_gallery_17883_3493_150825.jpg3763

I took a couple of pictures of this white mini in the foreground and deleted them ...it did NOT photograph well!!!! :nono:

That woman MUST have a lunch date ...she is still checking her self out in her mirror LOL.

med_gallery_17883_3493_312274.jpg3764

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1