Illiterate on ebay

GWR460

I think it's got to be a kid or a nut - 6 'Negative' feedbacks for non-payment in the last 5 weeks (eBay doesn't allow sellers leaving negative feedback anymore). The comments say it all though.

Also, he seems to have cancelled or not allowed payment on the four items he has sold   :scratchhead:

I think it's got to be a kid or a nut - 6 'Negative' feedbacks for non-payment in the last 5 weeks (eBay doesn't allow sellers leaving negative feedback anymore). The comments say it all though.

Also, he seems to have cancelled or not allowed payment on the four items he has sold   :scratchhead:

I think there's a lot more to this seller than first meets the eye and personally I would avoid this one at all costs, dare I say there's a hint of shill bidding going on here.

Check out this current listing of his:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181158503477

One of the bidders has made 127 bids in the last 30 days and 94% are with the same seller, that's the sort of numbers that makes me look elsewhere no matter how much I want the item!

"horndy loc in very good condition in it own box run well if bid and win please pay strange away so i can post it time waste will be report too ebay"

And this is after at least 11 years of formal education. One can only despair about the future.

I think there's a lot more to this seller than first meets the eye and personally I would avoid this one at all costs, dare I say there's a hint of shill bidding going on here.

Check out this current listing of his:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181158503477

One of the bidders has made 127 bids in the last 30 days and 94% are with the same seller, that's the sort of numbers that makes me look elsewhere no matter how much I want the item!

Definitely looks that way.

Here is another item of his. The disguised username is still a giveaway and so is their feedback score!

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=181158282776

The loco in question from before has been relisted. The shill bidding didn't obviously didn't work for him the first time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-diesel-/181158599797?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2de4dc75#ht_26wt_1255

The loco in question from before has been relisted. The shill bidding didn't obviously didn't work for him the first time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-diesel-/181158599797?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2de4dc75#ht_26wt_1255

Seems to have been relisted a few times. Here's the latest attempt...

hi im relist  this loc due time waste before u bid on i need tell you im have problem with my pay pal so it got be pald by cheque or cash

...ah yes. Of course. Not dodgy at all :rolleyes:

"horndy loc in very good condition in it own box run well if bid and win please pay strange away so i can post it time waste will be report too ebay"

And this is after at least 11 years of formal education. One can only despair about the future.

It has occurred to me that since I left full-time education about 50 years ago being fully able to read, write and add up with GCSE O levels to prove it, that there has been some destruction of the education system in order to reduce the cost and to even out the elitism.

I think this may have resulted in a level of illiteracy that may well have been there all along but has been brought out into the open by the Internet. I can only believe that the post above was written by somebody who lacks even basic writing and reading skills.

What is worse is that this E Bay seller's illiteracy is now public knowledge. One wonders whether they care. Indeed, can they actually read at all?

Seems to have been relisted a few times. Here's the latest attempt...

...ah yes. Of course. Not dodgy at all :rolleyes:

I believe that the expression "I wouldn't, even with my worst enemy's..." is appropriate here?

His feedback is <cough>  'interesting'...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=paulfoden472012&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=181160003766&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

:triniti:

Mark

It has occurred to me that since I left full-time education about 50 years ago being fully able to read, write and add up with GCSE O levels to prove it, that there has been some destruction of the education system in order to reduce the cost and to even out the elitism.

I think this may have resulted in a level of illiteracy that may well have been there all along but has been brought out into the open by the Internet. I can only believe that the post above was written by somebody who lacks even basic writing and reading skills.

What is worse is that this E Bay seller's illiteracy is now public knowledge. One wonders whether they care. Indeed, can they actually read at all?

When society starts to denigrate the value of education and the government actually goes along with it by destroying the education system for the sake of political correctness then we are doomed as a nation. Unlike others who have oil and mineral wealth; we only have the skill of our population as our only natural resource. We even have the situation where innumeracy is worn as a badge of pride, rather than something to be ashamed of.

This is a long way from the numerous education bodies that existed in the first part of the 20 century such as the Workers Education Society and such like, but more importantly it was the demand for such institutions that shows the value placed on education at that time.

There have always been illiterate people but in times past there have been jobs that could accommodate such people. Those jobs are gone now - you can't effectively exist in today's society if you are illiterate, except to survive on welfare benefits.

I believe that the expression "I wouldn't, even with my worst enemy's..." is appropriate here?

His feedback is <cough>  'interesting'...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=paulfoden472012&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=181160003766&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

:triniti:

Mark

That listing was withdrawn with one minute to go...

Guess the price wasn't good enough for him...

Mark

......There have always been illiterate people but in times past there have been jobs that could accommodate such people. Those jobs are gone now - you can't effectively exist in today's society if you are illiterate, except to survive on welfare benefits.

...or become a celebrity.

I would observe that in our *kof* modern, "enlightened society" *kof* (where we ascribe "rights" to everyone and everything), not only can we not discriminate on the grounds of race, creed or colour, but also on the grounds of ability. This is borne out to quite a degree by countless illiterate internal e-mails within both private and public sector organisations, and the never-ending scandals (current focus on banks and social services). There are no doubt timebombs waiting to go off even as we pick up the next bit of our modelling projects.

• RMweb Gold

...or become a celebrity.

I would observe that in our *kof* modern, "enlightened society" *kof* (where we ascribe "rights" to everyone and everything), not only can we not discriminate on the grounds of race, creed or colour, but also on the grounds of ability. This is borne out to quite a degree by countless illiterate internal e-mails within both private and public sector organisations, and the never-ending scandals (current focus on banks and social services). There are no doubt timebombs waiting to go off even as we pick up the next bit of our modelling projects.

Back in my big railway working days I had a simple answer to any illiterate correspondence which our office received for my attention, I answered it literally.  Thus when some clown wrote asking what the affect would be of allocating a certain class of locos to a particular working I replied telling him that I doubted it would affect anyone or anything.  When he got my letter he rang me to ask why I had replied like that and I said all I had done was answer his question - if he wished to know what the effect would be perhaps he would be kind enough to ask me?  

Totally unfair to do that of course with someone of limited education - something one should always take account of in my view - but as he had a university degree I considered it reasonable to expect him to communicate clearly using correct terminology and words in their proper context.

When I was in my last years of working for someone else I had a couple of subordinates on good (many would say very good) salaries, who struggled to write a letter to the standard I had achieved as a junior clerk at 18. Indeed, my old boss would have thrown such work straight back at me. Sadly, I eventually gave up on playing teacher and correcting everything as life is too short. There is something very wrong with our education system, but a lot of it has to do with the decline in reading, and the general contempt there is in society as a whole for intellectualism, learning, call it what you will. The BBC, which used to uphold standards, down dumbs down to the LCD. Everything has to be made simple for the 'plebs'. There is no thought that their understanding might be advanced. Too difficult!

• RMweb Gold

Guess who/what has turned up again...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-diesel-/181160613504?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2e039680

Sheesh...

Laugh is, it's presently at less than what it reached yesterday...

Mark

Yes and if I'm correct the bid at the moment is one that looks to be schill bidding.....

Yes and if I'm correct the bid at the moment is one that looks to be schill bidding.....

Certainly looks that way. Also, isn't it crazy, thanks to eBay's system, that even sellers posting to report our friend's non-payments, end up effectively giving him positive feedback, just by posting feedback?

Mark

I've been hitting the 'report item' on all of these repeats where the same user is appearing but haven't heard or seen anything from ebay so far, sadly it's not in their interest to stop schill bidding I suppose.

Archived