• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if the above Oakwood Press book contains any of the following:

Building drawings;

track layouts;

signalling diagrams?

For a few reasons I am looking at ordering online a copy of the book as none of the local bookshops stock much in the way of railway books that do not have Scottish themes.  The deciding factor would be whether or not it has any of the above information.

I realise, too, that this could/should have gone in the books section of the forum however I thought that folks with an interest in Cornwall's railways would be more likely to have the book and to be able to answer the question.

MAny thanks in advance for any answers.

Regards,

Alex.

My Copy is number 184 The Helston Branch by Stanley C. Jenkins (A5).

It contains track plans for every station and line drawings of a lot of buildings but possible not all.

Please can I suggest that you get your copy from the Helston Railway Shop as it will help support this heritage line, they also have a new book The Helston Railway Past and Present, lots of useful pictures in it.

12 fags for both- not bad!

Steve :smoke:

Actually I was only on about my second puff when a prefect caught me who, incidentally smoked like a train and confiscated my fags, who then grassed me up me and the next thing  I'm gasping for breath bent over a daek in the Heads study  - who smoked like a train also !!!!

Second time didn't involve any fags at all, just a futile escape attempt that got me as far as Oxford over night then as far as the Heads study again the next  morning! - boy did I love bxxxxy boarding school or what !

Cheers.

Allan.

Our English master only had two rules- share fags with him and include him in the round- his tip to one was to remember to take his school blazer off before entering the pub! No it wasn't me!

My father took me to our local on my 18th'for your first pint' -on entering the barman asked me if I wanted the usual.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

What is it about English teachers and fags?  Our English teacher at secondary school kept himself in fags throughout the term by confiscating them from my classmates, followed by three of the strap for having them in the first pace.  He kept the thing over his shoulder for a 'quick draw' dispensation of 'justice'!  Turns out the sadist was a lay-peacher too.

Again, thanks for the info and advice.

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 months later...

I shall have a look. I am afraid the house is in a bit of dissaray at the moment so it may take a little while. I normally clip out articles I am interested in and keep them in plastic pockets in binders so I may be able to scan and PM them to you (eventually!) 

Excellent thank you.

At Helston, the Helston Gas Co's wagons had to be unloaded on the Coal siding, into horse drawn wagons, later Lorries, and carted across to the other side of Helston to the gas works.  That was between the A394 - Penzance Road and St Johns Road.

My copy of the Oakwood Press Book 184, published in 1992, does not have any drawings of buildings, no pull out, or larger than A5 pages in it.  I also have the Middleton Press one and the latest photographic one by Chris Heaps, and although this last one is available from the Helston Rly Preservation shop at £20, it can be obtain for less via Amazon.  

The Chris Heaps book has loads of photo's and the track plans are mainly from old 1:2500 OS Maps, but no drawings of buildings.   Of course there are two model layouts of Helston in Helston Museum, though in a bit of a sorry state now.

Re. the mention article in Model Railway News, it was in 1967 and on page(s) 29 - January?

The Railway Modeller had an Article sometime in 1960 too.

I'm not a member of the Helston Preservation Rly, though I do pop over occasionally, I do have friends (honestly) in the Village who go over every Thursday to do some work.

There has been numerous changes as the railway has 'expanded' and not all locals are happy, though my understanding is that any objectors tend to be 'incomers' rather than locals. The recent agreement to use an extensive range of Farm Buildings (for workshops, vehicle storage etc.) and a large gravelled area (for Car Parking) has made a big difference.

I wish them well.

• 4 months later...

Hi Alex,

Not sure whether this topic has finished but I was the owner of the 3mm Scale layout that is mentioned in the Oakwood Book. Also I exhibited the layout all over the country for 25 years! As an early member of the preservation Society but no residing near to the site, I took it upon myself to get the book reprinted in the form you can purchase it in today. There are more photos and in colour plus all the drawings are there BUT contained within the pages and not a pull.

My research took several months before I started the model and I would certainly advisde getting copies of Model Railway News 1967 edition being written by Pat English. Over many years Pat and I became good friends but sadly he passed away a few years ago now. Interestinly Pat was not in favour of restoring the line!

I decided to place my 3mm Scale layout on perminant loan to the Folk Musuem as I beleive it to be a true model of Helston Station and therby show the people of Helston about their Station.

Hope this delaid reply might help you.

Wish you well

Regards Keith Gowen

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Thanks for the continued interest in this.

Keith, thanks to the very helpful folk of this parish I have managed to get the MRNs that you mention.  They are very helpful and seem to fill in a few gaps from the book..

As to what happens next, I am keeping my eyes open for anything useful while I think about starting a layout.  At the moment it's one of a large number of ideas that I have; one day I may actually build a couple of them.

Once more, thanks for the interest and help.

Regards,

Alex.

There has been very little written about the other railway at Helston.

www.hvr.org.uk

Oh, I don't know, there's almost a whole Oakwood Press book if you view all the 'Chapters' on the above link.

P.S. Sorry Stubby47, but as much as I would like to be at Taunton for the SWAG dooooo,

I'm at Epsom & Ewell Show that weekend, just sorting out the Real Ale pubs and Curry houses at present.

Archived